Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell Hockey Announces Class of 2015

Posted by CAS 
Cornell Hockey Announces Class of 2015
Posted by: CAS (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: June 06, 2011 02:21PM

Looks like a fabulous class, 10 strong. Congrats to Coach Schafer and staff for attracting these student athletes. Drop the puck. Let's Go Red!
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2011 11:35AM by CowbellGuy.

Re: Cornell Hockey Annonces Class of 2015
Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: June 06, 2011 02:27PM

For those who might actually want to read the announcement:

[cornellbigred.com]

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Re: Cornell Hockey Announces Class of 2015
Date: June 06, 2011 02:33PM

Thanks Beeej for posting. Beyond my capabilities. Is it October yet?

Posted by: RichH (167.225.107.---)
Date: June 06, 2011 04:11PM

6' 3", 225, with a scoring touch? Oh my.

Yeah, of course we have to see if they can adapt to the speed and physicality differences the US college game has versus what they're used to from the Juniors, as well as if they have the work ethic, discipline, conditioning, etc. to work their way into a Schafer-coached lineup...but there's a lot of raw materials on that list.

I hope Marozzi is a find following Garman's decision to graduate early. In 4 seasons in the AJHL, he had more shutouts than losses. :-O

I'm looking forward to welcoming them to Lynah in the Fall.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/2011 04:18PM by RichH.

Date: June 06, 2011 04:11PM

Wish I could correct that typo in this thread title - announce
Interesting that this class includes 2 kids from upstate NY [Ithaca, Fairport] and players from NJ and Florida.

Posted by: Swampy (131.128.72.---)
Date: June 06, 2011 04:54PM

RichH

Yeah, of course we have to see if they can adapt to the speed and physicality differences the US college game has versus what they're used to from the Juniors, as well as if they have the work ethic, discipline, conditioning, etc. to work their way into a Schafer-coached lineup...but there's a lot of raw materials on that list.

I hope Marozzi is a find following Garman's decision to graduate early. In 4 seasons in the AJHL, he had more shutouts than losses. :-O

It's quite a statement about the coaches and the quality of this program that we can replace a blue-chip goalie like Garman on short notice, apparently without missing a beat.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: June 06, 2011 05:32PM

Swampy
RichH

It's quite a statement about the coaches and the quality of this program that we can replace a blue-chip goalie like Garman on short notice, apparently without missing a beat.

And as you posted on the b'ball thread, Schafer's saying a lot more about these players than he often does. Hopefully that does mean good things. With Casey leaving our recruiting may suffer in the short term.

"I am very excited about the class of 2015," Schafer said. "Casey Jones and Scott Garrow have assembled one of the best classes we have had come to Cornell in many years. This class has international experience, a winning attitude and each one of them already has pretty impressive accomplishments. Together with our returning players, we look forward to the 2011-12 season with excitement."

I'm looking forward to the 2011-12 season, period, so excitement is a big plus.

Posted by: cbuckser (---.dsl.scrm01.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 08, 2011 03:02AM

RichH

It's the system. ;-)

Posted by: ithacat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: June 08, 2011 11:13PM

cbuckser
RichH

It's the system. ;-)

Might be true... The top 2 goalies in each of the past 2 seasons were from Spruce Grove. 3 years ago, they only finished 2nd and 3rd in the league.

Does make one wonder why a kid with his numbers, who's maxed out his eligibility, and who has Ivy grades was still available.

PS, I'm glad he was and consider Cornell very fortunate.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: June 09, 2011 10:39AM

ithacat
Does make one wonder why a kid with his numbers, who's maxed out his eligibility, and who has Ivy grades was still available.

Not everybody wants to go to college, and not everybody wants to go to college at a particular time. If Cornell's coaching staff convinced Marozzi to go to college now so that Cornell could have another goalie, he wouldn't be the first one.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: June 09, 2011 10:56AM

Beeeej
ithacat

Not everybody wants to go to college, and not everybody wants to go to college at a particular time. If Cornell's coaching staff convinced Marozzi to go to college now so that Cornell could have another goalie, he wouldn't be the first one.

I've read several reports that have stated Marozzi's desire to study civil engineering, even before Schafer had to go and find him. I'm more excited about that than his stats. To me it means he's not just using an NCAA school as a "step-to-the-pros" and isn't going to just slide into the major that most schools have for athletic recruits. That's not saying that a large number of NCAA hockey players don't take advantage of the educational opportunities available to them...just that he's shown an active interest in obtaining an education even before enrolling:

[www.ajhl.ca]
[www.vancouversun.com]

That's the kind of guy I want going to my alma mater. And no, that doesn't answer ithacat's question.

Posted by: RatushnyFan (192.234.99.---)
Date: June 10, 2011 08:38AM

Dave Burke style...........right on!

Posted by: ajh258 (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 11, 2011 10:31AM

CAS
Is it October yet?

Bump

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login