Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Penn State head coach

Posted by Ronald '09 
Penn State head coach
Posted by: Ronald '09 (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 24, 2011 03:32PM

According to Bob McKenzie, PSU has hired Guy Gadowsky as their head hockey coach.

Re: Penn State head coach
Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: April 24, 2011 03:37PM

Ronald '09
According to Bob McKenzie, PSU has hired Guy Gadowsky as their head hockey coach.

I just saw Brian Sullivan's tweet on this as well. I thought PSU would poach someone from one of the "Big 3" conferences, but Gadowsky is a good coach and was able to rebuild a moribund Princeton program.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: April 24, 2011 03:41PM

The winners of 3 of the last 4 ECAC COTY are now out of the league.

Posted by: ursusminor (---.res.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 24, 2011 03:50PM

PSU announcement [www.gopsusports.com]

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: April 24, 2011 05:30PM

Emrick just announced on the NBC NHL game.

Posted by: css228 (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: April 24, 2011 07:50PM

Sweet... not only did they not take Schafer, they also didn't take Jones

Date: April 24, 2011 07:59PM

I'd also like to point out that our odds next year just got better in a month. Here's how. First Yale basically graduates its team, and Polaceck and York leave RPI. Then Union's coach goes to Providence, and Princeton's coach hits the trail to be the head coach of PSU's new program. Clarkson also fired its coach. So basically the only teams at the top half of the ECAC with any stability were Dartmouth and CU. Anyone else like our odds?

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: April 24, 2011 08:19PM

css228
I'd also like to point out that our odds next year just got better in a month. Here's how. First Yale basically graduates its team, and Polaceck and York leave RPI. Then Union's coach goes to Providence, and Princeton's coach hits the trail to be the head coach of PSU's new program. Clarkson also fired its coach. So basically the only teams at the top half of the ECAC with any stability were Dartmouth and CU. Anyone else like our odds?
Kinkaid also left Union early. It was a good month (despite Garman leaving).

Date: April 24, 2011 09:33PM

Trotsky
css228
Forgot Kinkaid. And though Garman leaving hurts Iles isn't a bad backup plan. He just can absolutely not get hurt.

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: April 25, 2011 12:36AM

Trotsky
css228
Good for our league standing but bad for the league. Which makes it a bad month for us too.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: April 25, 2011 07:35AM

KeithK
Good for our league standing but bad for the league. Which makes it a bad month for us too.
Until we join the Big Ten... ;)
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2011 08:04AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: April 25, 2011 08:00AM

Trotsky
KeithK
Good for our league standing but bad for the league. Which makes it a bad month for us too.[/quote]Until we join the Big Ten... ;)[/quote]Preview button, preview button...:-}

Re: Penn State head coach out of Princeton
Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: April 25, 2011 11:29AM

KeithK
Exactly. We want respectable ECAC and Ivy League teams that can do damage in the NCAAs (other than to themselves). Yale shoulda won it all, at least on paper. And they still have their coach, who is good. I wonder if Princeton will want to think about building Hobey Baker II sometime in the next decade. A nice 3,500-seat architectural gem that would give the Tigers an extra 1,500 empty seats. [Thread drift: Thinking of big stadiums and bigger egos, UMass in football plans to play home games at Foxboro, 95 miles from campus.]

Re: Penn State head coach out of Princeton
Posted by: Chris '03 (38.104.240.---)
Date: April 25, 2011 12:34PM

billhoward
[Thread drift: Thinking of big stadiums and bigger egos, UMass in football plans to play home games at Foxboro, 95 miles from campus.]

They had to build a new stadium or play elsewhere to accommodate the move to D-IA (the MAC, really?)

Posted by: ursusminor (---.res.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 25, 2011 01:07PM

css228
Interesting logic, but I guess that this is the time of the year for fans of all teams to be optimistic. (me too :-D )

Let me just comment about RPI. No one has left who wasn't expected to leave (at least not yet). It was clear to everyone following the program that York was more likely to leave than not. I would be very surprised if his replacement isn't already known to Coach Appert.

Polacek, of course, was a senior. Considering that when D'Amigo and Pirri left last summer, their scholarships were not filled with new recruits (note that the 'Tute's last recruit last year is listed as 5/1/10 on Heisenberg's list), Polacek and his classmates will be more than replaced. Indeed it appears that RPI's incoming class is its best since 1982. Granted that some of the recruits may not fit in until the second half of the season, and I won't really be confident that the long-awaited Jacob Laliberté will show up until he actually plays a game, but I am quite happy as to what the team looks like for next season.

Posted by: css228 (---.res-wired.cornell.edu)
Date: April 25, 2011 02:07PM

ursusminor
css228
Interesting logic, but I guess that this is the time of the year for fans of all teams to be optimistic. (me too :-D )

Let me just comment about RPI. No one has left who wasn't expected to leave (at least not yet). It was clear to everyone following the program that York was more likely to leave than not. I would be very surprised if his replacement isn't already known to Coach Appert.

Polacek, of course, was a senior. Considering that when D'Amigo and Pirri left last summer, their scholarships were not filled with new recruits (note that the 'Tute's last recruit last year is listed as 5/1/10 on Heisenberg's list), Polacek and his classmates will be more than replaced. Indeed it appears that RPI's incoming class is its best since 1982. Granted that some of the recruits may not fit in until the second half of the season, and I won't really be confident that the long-awaited Jacob Laliberté will show up until he actually plays a game, but I am quite happy as to what the team looks like for next season.
My point is simply that our offseason has been relatively stable compared to every other team in the league, so we should be be in good shape. And just because the guys who left were expected to leave doesn't make it any easier. Yale is graduating their best class ever. Yes they were all expected to leave. But it doesn't mean it doesn't hurt. Also any word on whether Hudon si going to be able to accelerate his graduation or do we have to wait one more year to watch him grace the ice at Lynah?

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: April 25, 2011 06:03PM

So for those that haven't been reading CHN on realignment, here are two articles. first, Adam's take on what might happen, then discussion of the possible super six. If you want a small school killer, that's probably the best you can get.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: April 27, 2011 09:09AM

Jim Hyla
So for those that haven't been reading CHN on realignment, here are two articles. first, Adam's take on what might happen, then discussion of the possible super six. If you want a small school killer, that's probably the best you can get.
In theory, the big markets or big conferences dominate sports. The No. 1 example is the New York Yankees. The No. 2 example is ... what? How much correlation is there between market size or conference clout and who comes out on top? Minnesota Duluth as the hockey champion in the NCAAs, Baylor and Cornell No. 2 in basketball and wrestling this year. Adam Wodon in his column notes the backfire effect when college teams try to stockpile too many good players.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: April 27, 2011 09:38AM

billhoward
Jim Hyla
In theory, the big markets or big conferences dominate sports. The No. 1 example is the New York Yankees. The No. 2 example is ... what? How much correlation is there between market size or conference clout and who comes out on top? Minnesota Duluth as the hockey champion in the NCAAs, Baylor and Cornell No. 2 in basketball and wrestling this year. Adam Wodon in his column notes the backfire effect when college teams try to stockpile too many good players.
What does Duluth winning the tournament prove, exactly? Look at the last 20 champions and it's just usual suspect after usual suspect; one gate-crasher winning the Frozen Four doesn't mean the hockey equivalents of "big markets" (BC/BU/UND/UMN/etc.) are less dominant any more than one World Series championship by the Diamondbacks means the Yankees are no longer a threat year after year. And let's put Duluth in some perspective too - they're a team from the strongest conference and they've been playing at a high level for years; it's not like this was Bentley or something.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: April 27, 2011 10:13AM

Josh '99
billhoward
Jim Hyla
What does Duluth winning the tournament prove, exactly? Look at the last 20 champions and it's just usual suspect after usual suspect; one gate-crasher winning the Frozen Four doesn't mean the hockey equivalents of "big markets" (BC/BU/UND/UMN/etc.) are less dominant any more than one World Series championship by the Diamondbacks means the Yankees are no longer a threat year after year. And let's put Duluth in some perspective too - they're a team from the strongest conference and they've been playing at a high level for years; it's not like this was Bentley or something.

I agree with Josh. Also, the biggest markets usually have strong pro teams. In general, college teams do better when they don't have such competition. Although there are exceptions, like USC in LA, big-time college football thrives in cities like Austin, Columbus, and Ann Arbor. Big-time basketball, on Tobacco Road. Etc.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login