Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Casey Jones is the new head coach at Clarkson

Posted by pfibiger 
Casey Jones is the new head coach at Clarkson
Posted by: pfibiger (---.186.101.97.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: April 18, 2011 08:09PM

[www.watertowndailytimes.com]

Have to imagine that Casey Jones will get a long look for this job, if he's interested.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2011 07:57AM by pfibiger.

Re: Roll out at Clarkson
Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: April 19, 2011 12:28PM

pfibiger

Have to imagine that Casey Jones will get a long look for this job, if he's interested.

Hope he's not, but I'd be happy for him if he got it.

Posted by: Give My Regards (---.atc-nycorp.com)
Date: May 04, 2011 10:45AM

Here's an article from the Watertown Daily Times indicating that former Clarkson head coach Mark Morris might be interested in the position: [www.watertowndailytimes.com]

The article also says Cornell assistant/associate coach Casey Jones is not interested, and goes on to mention Mark Taylor, a former Cornell assistant (1990-95, I think) and current head coach at Hobart, as a possibility.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: May 04, 2011 11:23AM

Give My Regards
The article also says Cornell assistant/associate coach Casey Jones is not interested...
rock

Posted by: pfibiger (97.101.186.---)
Date: May 04, 2011 01:21PM

Josh '99
Give My Regards
The article also says Cornell assistant/associate coach Casey Jones is not interested...
rock

Cap Carey (the author)'s twitter says "doesn't sound like Casey Jones would be interested" and the article says "reportedly not interested" ...which is obviously different from "Casey Jones has said he's not interested." Even then, Leaman said he wasn't interested in the Providence job, and look how that ended :)

Someone on USCHO claims that Carey's report is incorrect. I have to imagine that if Rolston is not interested and Casey Jones is, he'd have a great shot at the job. I'd be surprised if he doesn't interview for the Princeton position as well.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: May 04, 2011 02:13PM

pfibiger
Josh '99
Give My Regards
rock

Cap Carey (the author)'s twitter says "doesn't sound like Casey Jones would be interested" and the article says "reportedly not interested" ...which is obviously different from "Casey Jones has said he's not interested." Even then, Leaman said he wasn't interested in the Providence job, and look how that ended :)

Someone on USCHO claims that Carey's report is incorrect. I have to imagine that if Rolston is not interested and Casey Jones is, he'd have a great shot at the job. I'd be surprised if he doesn't interview for the Princeton position as well.

:-}

Posted by: pfibiger (97.101.186.---)
Date: May 16, 2011 09:31PM

According to this, Casey Jones is one of two candidates to go to Potsdam for an interview (Ron Rolston is the other)

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.rbccm.com)
Date: May 19, 2011 10:20AM

Flames tweeted that Craig Conroy was offered the Clarkson head coaching job, but he's elected to stay with the Flames as special assistant to Jay Feaster.

EDIT - I see that's already mentioned in the article.

I hope that Casey gets the job. Good stepping stone to ultimately coming home when the time is right.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2011 10:22AM by RatushnyFan.

Posted by: Swampy (---.memphis.edu)
Date: May 19, 2011 10:03PM

RatushnyFan
Flames tweeted that Craig Conroy was offered the Clarkson head coaching job, but he's elected to stay with the Flames as special assistant to Jay Feaster.

I hope that Casey gets the job. Good stepping stone to ultimately coming home when the time is right.

I don't. I think we've seen a step-up in recruiting since he's been back in Ithaca. I would have liked to see a few more years of that before he left. Also I don't see Mike stepping down anytime soon.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: May 20, 2011 07:21AM

Swampy
RatushnyFan

I don't. I think we've seen a step-up in recruiting since he's been back in Ithaca. I would have liked to see a few more years of that before he left. Also I don't see Mike stepping down anytime soon.
Agree, Casey graduated 4 years after Mike. Unless Mike has said something about leaving, that's not enough differential to expect him to take over. If he gets a head coach position, he's probably gone.

Re: Roll out at Clarkson - Casey Jones a finalist?
Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: May 20, 2011 02:06PM

Cap Carey of the Watertown Daily Times has tweeted that Casey Jones will be Clarkson's new head coach, more info to follow.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: pfibiger (---.186.101.97.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: May 20, 2011 02:21PM

this sucks for us, but congratulations to Casey! He certainly is deserving of a head coaching gig!

Wonder who we'll see as an assistant? Jamie Russell returning? Topher Scott moving up from grad assistant at Miami?

Date: May 20, 2011 02:22PM

Now also reported on CHN (though still via Cap):

[www.collegehockeynews.com]

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: scoop85 (173.84.100.---)
Date: May 20, 2011 02:39PM

Real mixed emotions -- certainly happy that a hard-working long-time assistant gets the HC gig, but sad that we lose his talents, especially to one of our league rivals.

I sure Schafer will make an excellent choice in finding a replacement, whether it's Russell, Scott, or otherwise.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.deploy.akamaitechnologies.com)
Date: May 20, 2011 02:43PM

The further that Cornell extends its tendrils (influence and personnel) throughout the ECAC, the stronger the conference becomes. This is a good thing.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: May 20, 2011 02:50PM

Good luck to Casey! I am taking this as a positive sign that Schafer does not plan to move on any time soon.

Posted by: RichH (---.northropgrumman.com)
Date: May 20, 2011 02:57PM

Ouch. Congratulations to Clarkson for getting a quality guy, and also to Casey. I guess 18 years as an assistant/associate is long enough.

Posted by: kaelistus (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: May 20, 2011 04:41PM

Nooooo.. We will miss him. But lots of congrats to Casey.

Date: May 20, 2011 05:12PM

Kyle Rose
The further that Cornell extends its tendrils (influence and personnel) throughout the ECAC, the stronger the conference becomes. This is a good thing.
Good for the conf., not immediately good for us. Obviously this makes it easier for Clarkson to beat us, and makes recruiting harder, at least until we get a correspondingly good recruiter. And I hate to think about going to Potsdam and seeing him there, cheering against him. If he can improve the student behavior, that would be nice. Cheer, cheer against Casey, that just doesn't sound right.

On another note, I don't think this says anything about Mike staying, or not. Not that I think he's leaving, but if he were to, and Casey were to want to be head coach here, getting experience at Clarkson is a good thing. It's like lacrosse with Pietramala and Johns Hopkins.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: May 20, 2011 06:04PM

Jim Hyla
Cheer, cheer against Casey, that just doesn't sound right.
Cheer against Casey? Nah. In the rink you're rooting for Cornell and against the despicably evil opponent in that night's game. But that's not personal.

Heck, this makes it even easier to root for Clarkson in non-conf games.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: May 20, 2011 07:46PM

Jim Hyla
On another note, I don't think this says anything about Mike staying, or not. Not that I think he's leaving, but if he were to, and Casey were to want to be head coach here, getting experience at Clarkson is a good thing. It's like lacrosse with Pietramala and Johns Hopkins.
I don't think guys usually make that kind of lateral move (assuming it is still lateral).

Posted by: daredevilcu (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: May 20, 2011 07:54PM

If it makes you feel any better, I'm surprised by this pick. I haven't heard much about Jones at all, but have heard a lot about Rolston's resume. What's Clarkson really getting here in terms of play style, recruiting channels, etc.? One good thing is the familiarity with the ECAC, he'll have seen the teams and be somewhat familiar with the other teams already from an Xs and Os standpoint. And I'm never one to complain about an extra edge over Cornell I suppose. More importantly, what can we expect in terms of growing pains before a full slate of Jones recruits show up? How well can we expect him to pick up the pieces from the last two years and put together a solid season?

And Jim, thanks for the laugh about student behavior. Good stuff.

Posted by: ithacat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: May 20, 2011 09:55PM

pfibiger
this sucks for us, but congratulations to Casey! He certainly is deserving of a head coaching gig!

Wonder who we'll see as an assistant? Jamie Russell returning? Topher Scott moving up from grad assistant at Miami?

Good for Casey.

Might be too much for Topher to be considered at this stage of his career. Andrew Will would be an interesting candidate: ECAC experience as a player and an assistant coach. Head experience at 2 strong prep programs, and he's coached (I think) Greening, Axell, Kanji, and Iles.

Posted by: Drew (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 20, 2011 09:58PM

RichH
Ouch. Congratulations to Clarkson for getting a quality guy, and also to Casey. I guess 18 years as an assistant/associate is long enough.
Hey Rich, I am pretty excited and anxious to see what style of play he dictates. He has certainly paid his dues and deserves a shot as a head coach. From what I understand he has great outgoing personality, it will be interesting whom he hires as associate coach.
Cheers!
Drew

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 20, 2011 10:47PM

If you think means that this means that we have to stop making fun of Clarkson coaches you thought wrong.

Congratulations Casey Jones. Die. Drop dead. Go to your new home.

Posted by: daredevilcu (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: May 20, 2011 10:58PM

Our new coach:

Posted by: Drew (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 20, 2011 11:12PM

ugarte
If you think means that this means that we have to stop making fun of Clarkson coaches you thought wrong.

Congratulations Casey Jones. Die. Drop dead. Go to your new home.

:-D Nice!

Posted by: kicksave (---.189.45.173.cable.haefele.htva.net)
Date: May 21, 2011 12:15AM

Bummer. Casey is a heckuva nice guy and even took the time to get involved in IYHA. I am proud to say my son got to experience him as a coach and he was outstanding. He will be missed around here!

Re: Roll out at Clarkson - Casey Jones in
Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: May 21, 2011 12:51AM

Brandon Thomas in the Ithaca Journall reports

"He's paid his dues, and he's well connected through college hockey, and other people recognize his ability," Schafer said. "I knew hiring him that it wouldn't be long term."

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: May 21, 2011 01:46AM

Trotsky
Jim Hyla
I don't think guys usually make that kind of lateral move (assuming it is still lateral).
No they don't, but to return to your school is one reason to do it. That's why I mentioned Pietramala. We do have experience there.

Posted by: Robb (---.198-178.cust.bluewin.ch)
Date: May 21, 2011 03:28AM

Trotsky
Jim Hyla
I'd like to hope that moving from Clarkson to Cornell is (and will always remain to be) perceived to be a step up, not lateral...

Question: Casey's recruiting skills appear to be common knowledge, but are there any specific areas that he coached day-to-day that also need to be filled? For example, was he in charge of coaching the clutching, the grabbing, or just the trap? :-D

Re: Roll out at Clarkson - Casey Jones in
Posted by: ithacat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: May 21, 2011 07:47AM

David Harding
Brandon Thomas in the Ithaca Journall reports

"He's paid his dues, and he's well connected through college hockey, and other people recognize his ability," Schafer said. "I knew hiring him that it wouldn't be long term."

Schafer also said in that article:

But then we have an assistant in Scotty Garrow who's been here for a long time, so does it go to a young, inexperienced coach that you want to develop?

Maybe it isn't too soon for Topher... :-)

Posted by: pfibiger (97.100.54.---)
Date: May 21, 2011 07:57AM

Robb
Trotsky
Jim Hyla
I'd like to hope that moving from Clarkson to Cornell is (and will always remain to be) perceived to be a step up, not lateral...

Question: Casey's recruiting skills appear to be common knowledge, but are there any specific areas that he coached day-to-day that also need to be filled? For example, was he in charge of coaching the clutching, the grabbing, or just the trap? :-D

I'm pretty sure he was responsible for the diving and the not getting called for penalties we deserve. Just ask any RPI fan :)

I believe he worked with the defense (which is funny given that he was a forward, and Schafer, a defenseman, worked with the offense.)

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: May 21, 2011 09:46AM

Robb
Trotsky
Jim Hyla
There's nothing lateral about getting the hell out of Potsdam. :-D

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: May 22, 2011 11:11AM

pfibiger
I believe he worked with the defense (which is funny given that he was a forward, and Schafer, a defenseman, worked with the offense.)

Methinks it would be best if Schafer found someone to take over the offense again... whistle

Re: Casey Jones is the new head coach at Clarkson
Posted by: css228 (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: May 23, 2011 12:11PM

Congrats to Casey, hate to lose a recruiter like that.I however, doubt we'll ever see Casey behind the bench for the Red again

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.rbccm.com)
Date: May 26, 2011 10:45AM

I'm super excited for Casey. He seems like a hockey lifer, so I'm optimistic we'll be seeing him on the bench again. Mike has a long ways to go, but how many coaches spend 30+ years at a single program?

Re. Clarkson, it's an interesting situation. Seems like there's some young talent but they are going to have to recruit better to improve and that takes time. I hope they give him the time. With Conroy a Potsdam native and starting as a special assistant to the Flames, there will always be the rumor that he's coming home, especially since they offered him the job first.

Casey, I have three hockey players for you to keep an eye on - a '99, an '01 and an '03, first choice is Cornell and Schafer has his eye on them (ok, anyone can attend his camp, but seriously) but we'll keep Clarkson on our prospect list.

Posted by: RatushnyFan (192.234.99.---)
Date: June 14, 2011 11:31AM

Date: July 18, 2011 05:32PM

Here's hoping that George Roll has a better time at Nazareth, than at Clarkson. He did extremely well at Oswego when he was there. Maybe some are just meant to be Div. III coaches, just like the players are.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: August 20, 2011 01:40PM

ECAC site has a two part interview with Casey Jones.

Date: August 31, 2011 08:13AM

InCH on Casey Jones.

Date: August 31, 2011 11:17AM

Good Lord... it takes some serious talent to photograph a guy as good-looking as Casey and make him look like Tim Pawlenty.

- Steve Worona

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.deploy.akamaitechnologies.com)
Date: August 31, 2011 01:05PM

Beeeej
Good Lord... it takes some serious talent to photograph a guy as good-looking as Casey and make him look like Tim Pawlenty.
I disagree: it's easy to take pictures like that. To wit:

The real question is why would anyone use a photo like that?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login