Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Union coach Leaman wins Spencer Penrose Award

Posted by amerks127 
Union coach Leaman wins Spencer Penrose Award
Posted by: amerks127 (---.hsd1.dc.comcast.net)
Date: April 13, 2011 11:30PM

First ECAC coach to win since Joe Marsh in 2000.

[www.uscho.com]

[www.ecachockey.com]
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2011 11:37PM by amerks127.

Re: Union coach Leaman wins Spencer Penrose Award
Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: April 14, 2011 11:57AM

Seriously? Leaman's team doesn't win anything, chokes in the playoffs, and he wins the Penrose?

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: April 14, 2011 02:47PM

Union's probably going to be #1 in the Coaches Poll this Fall. The very idea that could be anything but a sick joke makes Leaman Coach of the Decade.

Posted by: nyc94 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: April 14, 2011 09:31PM

Leaman was one of three coaches to interview for the Providence job.

[www.collegehockeynews.com]

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 15, 2011 08:36AM

Why would anyone leave Union to coach Providence? Providence seems to suffer from a perpetual recruiting disadvantage. It's tough for them to compete in their conference.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 15, 2011 10:09AM

RatushnyFan
Why would anyone leave Union to coach Providence? Providence seems to suffer from a perpetual recruiting disadvantage. It's tough for them to compete in their conference.
It's not too hard, money and scholarships to better compete. Good recruiters can get players to go anywhere. Why would anyone want to go to Union over Cornell? Yeah, I know, smaller school, etc., but the point is it's the recruiter.

Date: April 15, 2011 10:26AM

I never get why people lie about stuff like this.

Leaman recently vehemently denied that he was interested in the Providence position or that he was interviewing, as he said last year when sources indicated he was discussing the Ohio State opening with Buckeyes officials. But sources indicate he was on campus today.

Dude, just admit that you talked to them. We are all, always, testing the waters. Why does everybody always try to pull a Neuheisel?

Posted by: Chris '03 (38.104.240.---)
Date: April 15, 2011 10:33AM

It's a tough spot. Can't really advertise you're looking, lest you end up like Jeff Jagodzinski.

Date: April 15, 2011 11:10AM

Chris '03
It's a tough spot. Can't really advertise you're looking, lest you end up like Jeff Jagodzinski.

Then say "no comment." Lying just makes the guy looks like a douche.

Also there's a difference between telling your boss you're interviewing and telling the gaping irritainment maw that is the (cough) "press."
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2011 11:11AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: marty (---.sub-75-194-217.myvzw.com)
Date: April 15, 2011 01:19PM

Trotsky
Chris '03

Also there's a difference between telling your boss you're interviewing and telling the gaping irritainment maw that is the (cough) "press."

After watching countless interviews since his Union gig began I think the last thing that I would call him would be douche. He is perhaps the best thing that has happened to Union since they became D1.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2011 01:22PM by marty.

Date: April 15, 2011 01:33PM

marty
Trotsky
Chris '03

After watching countless interviews since his Union gig began I think the last thing that I would call him would be douche. He is perhaps the best thing that has happened to Union since they became D1.
(exasperated 2 fist-crunch and eye squint) ARGH! Yes, the point is he does seem like a good guy, so there was no point for him to do the slide step.

Anyway, hopefully he'll stay, because the ECAC needs good coaches and nobody deserves exile in Providence.

Posted by: Robb (12.144.248.---)
Date: April 15, 2011 01:39PM

Trotsky
Anyway, hopefully he'll stay, because the ECAC needs good coaches and nobody deserves exile in Providence.
Indeed. Providence is lucky that a coach with as much promise as Leaman seems to have would even bother to show up for an interview.

Posted by: ugarte (66.9.23.---)
Date: April 15, 2011 02:10PM

Trotsky
marty
Trotsky
Chris '03

(exasperated 2 fist-crunch and eye squint) ARGH! Yes, the point is he does seem like a good guy, so there was no point for him to do the slide step.

Stop being exasperated by the most predictable thing in the world. Coaches under contract deny that they are talking to other teams. They do not say "no comment" because that is the same as saying "Yep, I'm busted! And probably violating my current deal." It is a generally understood by the schools that coaches will not openly flout their interest in leaving so that the school gets to pretend that there is nothing to be worried about.

Date: April 15, 2011 02:49PM

marty
Trotsky
Chris '03

That can't have taken much, can it?

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 15, 2011 04:16PM

I guess Merrimack is the example of why talk to Providence ......... anything can happen. I would have a hard time leaving Union for Providence

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: April 15, 2011 08:08PM

Posted by: kingpin248 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 15, 2011 11:09PM

CHN reports Kinkaid leaving.

Date: April 16, 2011 08:42AM

And Adam throws Schafer's name into the mix for the Penn State job.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: April 16, 2011 09:05AM

Some posters on this Forum would be pleased; I wouldn't be one of them.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: April 16, 2011 11:39PM

This was the job Lou Lomoriello had ~ 30 years ago before moving on to the Devils. Providence at one time was a national power in hockey, also hoops (Ernie DiGregorio, Marvin Barnes (pulled in for robbery once when witnesses described a large man with a Providence College baseketball jacket scripted "Marvin.";)

Providence job description includes:

>>> Providence College encourages applications by women and persons of color.

>>> Marginal Duties: 1. Maintain a working knowledge of "best practices" in regard to sport-specific skills, game related tactics, and ... First aid and CPR Certification preferred.

Date: April 16, 2011 11:44PM

Schafer mentioned only in passing. Guy Gadowsky of Princeton is mentioned in more detail. How far can you take a team that plays in 2,000-seat arena that always has seats, even for the Cornell game?
>>> You hear the names like Nate Leaman (Union), Scott Sandelin (Minnesota-Duluth), Gadowsky, Mark Dennehy (Merrimack) and Mike Schafer (Cornell) thrown around. These are all feasible. If the Penn State selection committee really thought there was someone they wanted in that bunch, there is every reason to believe they'd interview. Only Schafer is an alum of the aforementioned school.

Posted by: pfibiger (---.186.101.97.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: April 17, 2011 09:31AM

billhoward
Schafer mentioned only in passing. Guy Gadowsky of Princeton is mentioned in more detail. How far can you take a team that plays in 2,000-seat arena that always has seats, even for the Cornell game?
>>> You hear the names like Nate Leaman (Union), Scott Sandelin (Minnesota-Duluth), Gadowsky, Mark Dennehy (Merrimack) and Mike Schafer (Cornell) thrown around. These are all feasible. If the Penn State selection committee really thought there was someone they wanted in that bunch, there is every reason to believe they'd interview. Only Schafer is an alum of the aforementioned school.

Anyone know when Schafer's last contract extension runs through? Last time this happened, he interviewed for the Notre Dame job and ended up with a lucrative 5? year extension. Perhaps he's on the market again to lock up another long term extension. Or perhaps Penn State's going to steal another of our head coaches.

Posted by: css228 (---.res-wired.cornell.edu)
Date: April 17, 2011 11:32AM

I can't imagine Schafer wanting to leave here. Could see Casey Jones taking the PSU job. I guess if Schafer leaves we could promote Casey Jones. Also why isn't Leaman coming up for PSU's spot

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: April 17, 2011 01:43PM

pfibiger
billhoward

Anyone know when Schafer's last contract extension runs through? Last time this happened, he interviewed for the Notre Dame job and ended up with a lucrative 5? year extension. Perhaps he's on the market again to lock up another long term extension. Or perhaps Penn State's going to steal another of our head coaches.

At the time (July 2005) the elynah discussion started
Jerseygirl
I hear from a well-placed source that the terms should keep him at Cornell as long as he wants to be there...

The links in the thread are broken, but with a little searching I found some of them:

The current link to the announcement is here.

Mike Schafer, the Jay R. Bloom '77 Head Coach of Men's Hockey at Cornell University, has signed a long-term contract extension to remain at the university. The announcement was made today by J. Andrew Noel Jr., the Meakem*Smith Director of Athletics and Physical Education. Terms of the contract were not disclosed.

The Cornell Sun reported
Olivia Dwyer
"Most contracts are for four or five years and it's a little bit longer," Schafer said.

That fall Cornell Alumni Magazine was more concrete
Rick Lipsey '89
There will be a bigger void when Schafer decides to move on. Last summer, he was courted by other universities-- including ones that offer athletic scholarships-- but Cornell kept him with a lucrative six-year contract extension. "Cornell made it clear that they want me, but that could always change," says Schafer. "This is sports. I have aspirations of coaching in the professional ranks, but that's down the road. Right now, I'm committed to trying to win a national championship."

2005+6=2011 uhoh

Posted by: ajh258 (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: April 17, 2011 07:20PM

David Harding
pfibiger
billhoward

At the time (July 2005) the elynah discussion started
Jerseygirl
I hear from a well-placed source that the terms should keep him at Cornell as long as he wants to be there...

The links in the thread are broken, but with a little searching I found some of them:

The current link to the announcement is here.

Mike Schafer, the Jay R. Bloom '77 Head Coach of Men's Hockey at Cornell University, has signed a long-term contract extension to remain at the university. The announcement was made today by J. Andrew Noel Jr., the Meakem*Smith Director of Athletics and Physical Education. Terms of the contract were not disclosed.

The Cornell Sun reported
Olivia Dwyer
"Most contracts are for four or five years and it's a little bit longer," Schafer said.

That fall Cornell Alumni Magazine was more concrete
Rick Lipsey '89
There will be a bigger void when Schafer decides to move on. Last summer, he was courted by other universities-- including ones that offer athletic scholarships-- but Cornell kept him with a lucrative six-year contract extension. "Cornell made it clear that they want me, but that could always change," says Schafer. "This is sports. I have aspirations of coaching in the professional ranks, but that's down the road. Right now, I'm committed to trying to win a national championship."

2005+6=2011 uhoh

These talks with PSU could simply be Schafer looking for other offers so he can get a raise or getting backups just in case Noel couldn't match what Schafer wants. Realistically, I do not see him leaving.

Date: April 17, 2011 08:56PM

It's not a terrible thing to have a little reminder now and then that he has other options. Coaches also use these leverage opportunities to get other things they want (facilities improvements, budget bumps for recruiting trips and assistant coaches, etc). I'm very glad they don't bargain using the media. There's enough of that in this world. What we'll never know is probably just as well.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2011 08:57PM by Trotsky.

Date: April 18, 2011 12:50PM

We don't even know that he or PSU are interested in each other. As "billhoward" said in his post, "Schafer mentioned only in passing.". That's hardly anything.

Date: April 18, 2011 01:02PM

ajh258
These talks with PSU could simply be Schafer looking for other offers so he can get a raise or getting backups just in case Noel couldn't match what Schafer wants. Realistically, I do not see him leaving.
Are there even "talks with PSU"? All Adam said is that you hear his name thrown around as a possibility, nothing concrete like Leaman apparently having interviewed at Providence.

Still, I will drive to Pennsylvania and BURN STATE COLLEGE TO THE GROUND if they hire away another of our coaches. flipd

Posted by: Robb (---.198-178.cust.bluewin.ch)
Date: April 18, 2011 03:49PM

Sweet. Now if PSU hires Schafer, I can sneak down and BURN STATE COLLEGE TO THE GROUND and everyone will blame Josh... rock

Date: April 18, 2011 04:42PM

Robb
Sweet. Now if PSU hires Schafer, I can sneak down and BURN STATE COLLEGE TO THE GROUND and everyone will blame Josh... rock
Aren't you in Europe these days? I guarantee I will get there and BURN STATE COLLEGE TO THE GROUND before you have a chance.

:-D

Date: April 19, 2011 08:08AM

Maybe PSU is just looking for another coach whose wife has ties to the area.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: April 19, 2011 12:25PM

Jim Hyla
Maybe PSU is just looking for another coach whose wife has ties to the area.

While it's still PA, there's a bit of a difference between coming from the Susquehanna Valley and Happy Valley.

Posted by: marty (---.sub-75-213-34.myvzw.com)
Date: April 22, 2011 07:43AM

News of Leaman's likely move.

Times Union 4-22
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2011 07:44AM by marty.

Leaman leaves for Providence
Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: April 22, 2011 03:26PM

Leaman to Providence

Providence Journal
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2011 03:30PM by marty.

Re: Leaman leaves for Providence
Date: April 22, 2011 04:44PM

I like this because I think it makes it more likely that Union will continue to never win anything, which I think is a hilarious state of affairs.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: April 22, 2011 05:09PM

Josh '99
I like this because I think it makes it more likely that Union will continue to never win anything, which I think is a hilarious state of affairs.
Not so fast. As reported in the above links and by ECAC, they have a capable replacement already. Associate Head Coach Bennett will take over. Who knows if he'll be as good, but at least he should keep the players and maybe recruits, happy. However with his background, if he does well, he may also fly.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: April 22, 2011 05:52PM

Jim Hyla
Josh '99
Not so fast. As reported in the above links and by ECAC, they have a capable replacement already. Associate Head Coach Bennett will take over. Who knows if he'll be as good, but at least he should keep the players and maybe recruits, happy. However with his background, if he does well, he may also fly.

Another flying Dutchman?

Date: April 22, 2011 09:46PM

marty
Another flying Dutchman?
Very nice.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: April 22, 2011 10:27PM

Josh '99

And exactly what do you think PC is going to win? Becoming head coach at PC is like becoming manager for Baltimore or Toronto in the AL East. popcorn

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.c3-0.smr-ubr2.sbo-smr.ma.static.cable.rcn.com)
Date: April 22, 2011 10:32PM

Swampy
And exactly what do you think PC is going to win? Becoming head coach at PC is like becoming manager for Baltimore or Toronto in the AL East. popcorn
Or Tampa Bay until a few years ago. Nothing lasts forever.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: April 23, 2011 10:38AM

Kyle Rose
Swampy

True, but some things last longer than others. Some day, Tampa Bay may have a larger media market than New York or Boston, or MLB might change the rules that currently favor large-market teams.

Similarly, Leaman may turn out to be another Ned Harkness, who took Cornell from completely off the radar in hockey, turned it into a national power, and made "hockey" synonymous with "Big Red." Leaman might build up PC hockey with a tradition and networks that surpasses those of BU and BC, and to a lesser degree, other HE teams like UNH.

Still, this is hard to imagine. If anything, basketball is king at PC, even though PC's recent b-ball record is as nondescript as its hockey record. It's hard to see many recruiting advantages for a small, Catholic school that is generally a safety school to BC (which in turn is a safety school to ND).

All Leaman has shown is that he could make what was perhaps the most disrespected team in the EZAC respectable. He hasn't really won anything substantial yet. At least Harkness had won a national championship at RPI and moved closer to Canada when he moved to Cornell.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: April 23, 2011 12:36PM

Swampy
Kyle Rose
Swampy

True, but some things last longer than others. Some day, Tampa Bay may have a larger media market than New York or Boston, or MLB might change the rules that currently favor large-market teams.

Similarly, Leaman may turn out to be another Ned Harkness, who took Cornell from completely off the radar in hockey, turned it into a national power, and made "hockey" synonymous with "Big Red." Leaman might build up PC hockey with a tradition and networks that surpasses those of BU and BC, and to a lesser degree, other HE teams like UNH.

Still, this is hard to imagine. If anything, basketball is king at PC, even though PC's recent b-ball record is as nondescript as its hockey record. It's hard to see many recruiting advantages for a small, Catholic school that is generally a safety school to BC (which in turn is a safety school to ND).

All Leaman has shown is that he could make what was perhaps the most disrespected team in the EZAC respectable. He hasn't really won anything substantial yet. At least Harkness had won a national championship at RPI and moved closer to Canada when he moved to Cornell.
A coach needs to know how to win and recruit. Duh! The least important thing is the school. He's shown that he can recruit and coach at a school like Union. Most everything you implied about difficult recruiting at PC could also be said for Union. It must have been real easy for him to recruit good players to come to Union, right? Well, in the same way he could get good players to come to PC.

The coach is much more important to players than the school. I'll always remember what Dan Lodboa said about a player being recruited by Harkness when there were thoughts about him leaving Union. He said he told the kid, if he goes to another school, you follow.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.c3-0.smr-ubr2.sbo-smr.ma.static.cable.rcn.com)
Date: April 23, 2011 01:08PM

Swampy
Kyle Rose
Swampy

True, but some things last longer than others.
You're pointing this out to a Yankee fan?

Besides, any citation regarding the Yankees being the most dominant team in the history of sports—as fun as it is to point out as often as possible, especially where there are lots of Red Sox fans present—is entirely irrelevant: I was specifically calling attention to the fact that the glaring omission from your list is the precise evidence that counters your point.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: April 24, 2011 11:32AM

Jim Hyla
Josh '99
I've heard that as well, and there's certainly the possibility that Bennett will step in and pick up right where Leaman left off (which, because I don't like Union, I take glee in again pointing out is that they still haven't ever won anything), but I have to figure there will at least be a little bit of dropoff between the two. I guess you never know, our lacrosse team is doing pretty nicely in DeLuca's first year as a head coach.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: April 24, 2011 11:34AM

Swampy
Josh '99

And exactly what do you think PC is going to win?
No idea; don't really care. :-}

(OK, that's not true; hypothetically, if Leaman turned PC into a team that regularly beat out the BC/BU/Maine/UNH oligarchy for titles, that'd be cool.)

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: April 24, 2011 01:30PM

Swampy
Josh '99

Yeah, but it's not unreasonable to expect some level of respectability in that league. The fact that former laughingstocks UMass-Amherst, Northeastern, and Merrimack this year (I repeat...Merrimack) have made NCAA appearances in the last 4 years. I don't think PC's administration is expecting Leaman to transform them into the dominant Hockey East team, but to become ranked nationally and jockey for at-large bids regularly. That'd be a step up from where that program is now.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2011 01:30PM by RichH.

Date: April 25, 2011 11:34AM

Kyle Rose
Swampy
This comes close: [elf.elynah.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login