Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

NCAA regionals 2011

Posted by billhoward 
Page: Previous1 2 
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: NCAA regionals 2011
Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: March 26, 2011 07:20PM

dag14
The bulldogs v. the bulldogs. What is the statistical likelihood of that occurring? One of you must know....

One or two seasons ago, Yale played a RS road game at Duluth. The UMD broadcast team obviously reflexively kept talking about the Bulldogs, and one partner eventually blithely pointed out to the other that Yale is also the Bulldogs. The partner's response was a very homeriffic "Well, only our team is the REAL Bulldogs, har har..."

Posted by: ajh258 (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 26, 2011 07:21PM

Ben
I know we shouldn't be talking about hockey, but UMD just scored a sweet shorthanded goal against Yale.
Ya... UMD looks good right now. Also, can't believe Miami just lost to UNH... With BC's embarrassing loss yesterday, my braket is screwed.

Edit: BTW, can't believe Barry is advocating to give the puck away on a delayed penalty... does he not know that you can pull the goalie for an extra attacker?
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2011 07:35PM by ajh258.

Posted by: Ben (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 26, 2011 07:31PM

ajh258
Ben
I know we shouldn't be talking about hockey, but UMD just scored a sweet shorthanded goal against Yale.
Ya... UMD looks good right now. Also, can't believe Miami just lost to UNH... With BC's embarrassing loss yesterday, my braket is screwed.
Denver pulled one back on the power play, it's 2-1 for the chance to get beaten up by NoDak. I need Denver to come through for my bracket.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.c3-0.smr-ubr2.sbo-smr.ma.static.cable.rcn.com)
Date: March 26, 2011 07:34PM

2-0 UMD on a slapshot from the point.

Date: March 26, 2011 07:37PM

Denver pulled it back to 2-2 and then had a shot trickle JUST wide of the post with one second left. Overtime.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 26, 2011 07:47PM

This tournament sucks.

3-0 UMD on a questionable Yale penalty, no matter what Barry Melrose says.

UMD 3-0 - PP goal. Yale's basically gone.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 26, 2011 07:50PM

Oh for fuck's sake Yale. bang

Date: March 26, 2011 07:52PM

Finally. 3-1 UMD.

Date: March 26, 2011 07:55PM

Clear head-to-head contact on that hit. Yale with a 5 minute major, game misconduct.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.par.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: March 26, 2011 07:56PM

Wow, that was a bullshit call. O'Neill had his hands down, and there's no way that he was using his helmet to hit the guy.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2011 07:58PM by Scersk '97.

O'Neill - DQ, contact to the head. He did kind of bump the other player's head with his own head.

4-1
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2011 07:59PM by ajh258.

4-1 UMD. 5 minute major still going.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.cable.mindspring.com)

I'm blind, I'm deaf...

Date: March 26, 2011 07:57PM

Another penalty against Yale. 5 on 3.

Date: March 26, 2011 07:58PM

They deserve to lose this game for being so undisciplined. What a bad time to choose to play this way.

Date: March 26, 2011 07:58PM

O'Neill went in for a clean body hit. It was the UMD player's head that thrust into O'Neill's, not vice versa. This wasn't a case of a footballer lowering the crown of his helmet on an opponent.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2011 07:58PM by Jordan 04.

Date: March 26, 2011 07:59PM

5-1 UMD, still 5-4 for another 3:29.

Date: March 26, 2011 07:59PM

Jordan 04
O'Neill went in for a clean body hit. It was the UMD player's head that thrust into O'Neill's, not vice versa. This wasn't a case of a footballer lowering the crown of his helmet on an opponent.
Maybe: it was hard to tell from the replay. I think the call was questionable, but not completely unreasonable given the video evidence.

Edit: by "completely unreasonable" I mean "obviously wrong".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2011 08:02PM by Kyle Rose.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 26, 2011 08:04PM

Completely disagree. His head snapped based on the body hit, but there was absolutely no initial contact to the head. It was a dreadful call. Both the announcers disagreed (not that Barry Melrose holds much weight)... but it was an absolutely dreadful call. *Maybe* *maybe* you could argue a 2 (and still be wrong), but a 5 and a game for a clean open ice hit?

Posted by: underskill (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 26, 2011 08:04PM

any close call like that hit is going to go that way given the crackdown on headshots now though. Besides, watching Yale choke this away is pretty amusing.

Date: March 26, 2011 08:05PM

Yale on PP. Hopefully they can get something started.

Date: March 26, 2011 08:06PM

underskill
Besides, watching Yale choke this away is pretty amusing.
I will derive enjoyment from the outcome either way, but all things being equal, I would rather see Yale win.

Date: March 26, 2011 08:06PM

underskill
any close call like that hit is going to go that way given the crackdown on headshots now though. Besides, watching Yale choke this away is pretty amusing.

I would normally agree, but the refs just did a wonderful job of bringing me firmly into Yale's camp.

Date: March 26, 2011 08:10PM

assuming the score does hold up, it does lend some support to the idea that the way for ECAC teams to compete nationally is through defense and goaltending, b/c no matter how talented you are offensively, it won't hold up against the WCHA teams' skill level.

Date: March 26, 2011 08:12PM

Kyle Rose
Jordan 04
Maybe: it was hard to tell from the replay. I think the call was questionable, but not completely unreasonable given the video evidence.

Edit: by "completely unreasonable" I mean "obviously wrong".

Under the rules, it absolutely is "obviously wrong." I don't see how anyone looking at the replay can claim that O'Neill "directly targeted" the UMD players head and neck area. It's just not the case.

Date: March 26, 2011 08:15PM

underskill
assuming the score does hold up, it does lend some support to the idea that the way for ECAC teams to compete nationally is through defense and goaltending, b/c no matter how talented you are offensively, it won't hold up against the WCHA teams' skill level.

You know, I was thinking instead about how UMD doesn't look all that skilled but looks hard-nosed and, to use that word, "systems"-oriented. They're doing a great job of plugging up the neutral zone and reducing the effects of Yale's speed. And they're almost brutalizing Yale off the ice. Now, I think there has been some borderline stuff that UMD has been doing (destabilizing pushes from behind, some holding along the boards) that has gone uncalled, but I've really been sitting here thinking, "We can/have done that. Why couldn't we this year?"

Date: March 26, 2011 08:18PM

Scersk '97
Now, I think there has been some borderline stuff that UMD has been doing (destabilizing pushes from behind, some holding along the boards) that has gone uncalled, but I've really been sitting here thinking, "We can/have done that. Why couldn't we this year?"
Agreed.

Date: March 26, 2011 08:22PM

Jordan 04
claim that O'Neill "directly targeted" the UMD players head and neck area.
Is that what the rule says? I admit to complete ignorance on the precise rules related to head hunting. If that's the case, then I agree: it was a bad call.

A rule-neutral justification for it being a bad call is this: watching it again, it's not clear who hit whom. It looks like one of those cases in which one player gets called for a penalty because the other guy went down.

Date: March 26, 2011 08:23PM

Scersk '97
underskill

You know, I was thinking instead about how UMD doesn't look all that skilled but looks hard-nosed and, to use that word, "systems"-oriented. They're doing a great job of plugging up the neutral zone and reducing the effects of Yale's speed. And they're almost brutalizing Yale off the ice. Now, I think there has been some borderline stuff that UMD has been doing (destabilizing pushes from behind, some holding along the boards) that has gone uncalled, but I've really been sitting here thinking, "We can/have done that. Why couldn't we this year?"

Except, its being done by a 3d seeded, good but usually second tier program in UND against supposedly the deepest, most offensively skilled ECAC team in how long?

Date: March 26, 2011 08:24PM

And they're headed to a 2nd OT in Green Bay. North Dakota must be quite pleased.

Posted by: nyc94 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 26, 2011 08:27PM

Rondeau pulled.

Date: March 26, 2011 08:29PM

Kyle Rose
Jordan 04
claim that O'Neill "directly targeted" the UMD players head and neck area.
Is that what the rule says? I admit to complete ignorance on the precise rules related to head hunting. If that's the case, then I agree: it was a bad call.

A rule-neutral justification for it being a bad call is this: watching it again, it's not clear who hit whom. It looks like one of those cases in which one player gets called for a penalty because the other guy went down.

The rule book makes it pretty clear that the targeting of the head is the issue.

A player shall not target and make contact with an opposing
player’s head or neck area in any manner (including, but not limited to, with
the shoulder, stick, elbow, etc.).

PENALTY—Major and game misconduct or disqualification at the
discretion of the referee.

Any contact which directly targets the player’s head and neck area must be
penalized with a major penalty and a game misconduct or disqualification.

There are further clarifications that contact initiated on the body that results in incidental contact to the head does not constitute a major penalty. While in this case I think the heads technically touched before the bodies, I think it's clear that O'Neill's intent -- based on the position of his arms, hands, and elbows -- was to initiate body contact, and he certain was not targeting the head.

underskill
against supposedly the deepest, most offensively skilled ECAC team in how long?
Not just "most offensively skilled", but "insanely talented". :-D

This must make UMD "

ludicrously talented".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2011 08:31PM by Kyle Rose.

nyc94
Rondeau pulled.

Odd.

Posted by: nyc94 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 26, 2011 08:41PM

Jordan 04
nyc94
Rondeau pulled.

Odd.

Nick Maricic is in. Sophomore, played in only two games this year for 36:31. Last played January 29 against RPI.

Date: March 26, 2011 08:44PM

5-2....game on?

Still going in 2 OT between Denver and Western Michigan.

Date: March 26, 2011 08:46PM

One of the things that impresses me about the Yale D is how, whenever they're clearing the zone or sweeping up a rebound, they're moving somewhere. There's motion out of the zone rather than just standing around.

Date: March 26, 2011 08:48PM

Scersk '97
One of the things that impresses me about the Yale D is how, whenever they're clearing the zone or sweeping up a rebound, they're moving somewhere. There's motion out of the zone rather than just standing around.
Strongly agreed. This is one of the things that I liked about Brendon Nash: except when he brought the puck behind the net to set it up, he never stood around looking like a deer in the headlights.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2011 08:49PM by Kyle Rose.

Date: March 26, 2011 08:55PM

5-3 UMD. Yale may yet be in this one.

Date: March 26, 2011 08:56PM

5-3 and game on indeed. Miracle comeback anyone?

Date: March 26, 2011 08:58PM

Denver wins 3-2 with 8 minutes left in the 2nd OT. WMU had some good chances a few minutes before, but Denver must be totally exhausted and probably easy opponents for NoDak tomorrow.

Date: March 26, 2011 09:12PM

And that, as they say, is that. 5-3 UMD final.

Posted by: amerks127 (---.hsd1.dc.comcast.net)
Date: March 26, 2011 11:35PM

RichH
dag14
The bulldogs v. the bulldogs. What is the statistical likelihood of that occurring? One of you must know....

One or two seasons ago, Yale played a RS road game at Duluth. The UMD broadcast team obviously reflexively kept talking about the Bulldogs, and one partner eventually blithely pointed out to the other that Yale is also the Bulldogs. The partner's response was a very homeriffic "Well, only our team is the REAL Bulldogs, har har..."

"Who are we?"
"The Wildcats!"
"Who are we gonna beat?"
"The Wildcats!"

Posted by: nshapiro (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 26, 2011 11:56PM

I think that the refs in college tend to call a penalty for "hitting too hard" and worry about justifying it later. It seems that every hit that makes you jump out of your seat and cheer is a major penalty, if not a game misconduct.

Re: NCAA regionals 2011 - UMD 5, Yale 3
Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 27, 2011 12:27AM

Yale goes down, RPI goes down, Union goes down. We'll be listening to "EZAC" for another year. That was a spectacular way for Yale to crash: Brian O'Neill scores to bring Yale back to 3-1 down then he gets a 5-minute major and game misconduct moments later, UMD scores a quick 2 to make it 5-1, and Yale can only get 2 goals back. And Rondeau gets yanked. Too bad. I thought Yale had the stuff to go all the way.

Posted by: ebilmes (---.dsl.stlsmo.swbell.net)
Date: March 27, 2011 01:49AM

Michigan looked good tonight against CC. Very (pre-2011) Cornell-like how they basically shut down CC once they had a lead and allowed very few shots on goal. CC showed flashes of life at the end and might have been able to tie, but a questionable penalty call with ~3 mins remaining pretty much sealed the deal for Michigan.

Michigan fans had a nice "black hole" cheer at one point. I'm guessing we can take credit for that.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: March 27, 2011 08:45AM

Kyle Rose
Greg, do better than committing an ad hominem fallacy: address the points I was making instead of attacking me.
That's some irony there. Consider the personal attack withdrawn and please accept my apology, but in turn please don't turn this place into some political thread feces throwing contest where you use the nuclear option on anybody who doesn't agree with you.

Date: March 27, 2011 09:14AM

Trotsky
Kyle Rose
Greg, do better than committing an ad hominem fallacy: address the points I was making instead of attacking me.
That's some irony there. Consider the personal attack withdrawn and please accept my apology, but in turn please don't turn this place into some political thread feces throwing contest where you use the nuclear option on anybody who doesn't agree with you.
I'm open to all arguments that make sense. The problem is precisely that few posters these days are making any. I first shot down the reasoning (Yale's talent vs. Cornell's), and then proposed an explanation for why this reasoning is so popular without attacking any particular poster (though I did refer to your own words in a later post: if those aren't fair game, then what is?).

It isn't ad hominem if I address the faulty reasoning first.

Anyway, c'est la vie. There's always next year. (As a Jets fan, I'm used to this sort of outcome.) My apologies if my argumentation style comes across as a personal attack: I assure you that it isn't intended that way. I'm mostly ruefully laughing when I make posts on this topic. We're all unhappy about the outcome, and I recognize that.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2011 09:17AM by Kyle Rose.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 27, 2011 09:23AM

Kyle Rose
I first shot down the reasoning (Yale's talent vs. Cornell's)...
You can't be serious in claiming your shallow logic accomplished this. It was the equivalent of saying that because Cornell beat RPI 5-1 and NoDak beat them 5-0 that Cornell and NoDak are roughly equivalent teams. Give us all a break.

Date: March 27, 2011 09:39AM

Al DeFlorio
Kyle Rose
I first shot down the reasoning (Yale's talent vs. Cornell's)...
You can't be serious in claiming your shallow logic accomplished this. It was the equivalent of saying that because Cornell beat RPI 5-1 and NoDak beat them 5-0 that Cornell and NoDak are roughly equivalent teams. Give us all a break.
I wouldn't make this argument based on a single data point ("proof by example";), but there are in fact many data points in evidence, going back four seasons.

No one's claiming a mathematically-airtight proof: such a thing doesn't exist in real life. So we have to take a preponderance of evidence as our standard of proof. I have that on my side.

Date: March 27, 2011 10:07AM

I thought our main contention was whether Yale's recent success against us was due to a superior system (you) or a couple dominant classes that are just passing through (me). The critical test is how they do against us now that most of those players are gone -- if they continue to dominate us you're right, if they come back to earth against us then I'm right. We won't know until we play them the next few times.

Date: March 27, 2011 10:15AM

Trotsky
I thought our main contention was whether Yale's recent success against us was due to a superior system (you) or a couple dominant classes that are just passing through (me). The critical test is how they do against us now that most of those players are gone -- if they continue to dominate us you're right, if they come back to earth against us then I'm right. We won't know until we play them the next few times.
This is only part of it. The other question I have is why Cornell has had such a problem keeping games against Yale close for the past four years, while Yale nearly loses to Air Force two days ago. As I pointed out, Air Force isn't any more talented than Cornell, so talent can't entirely account for the difference. My hypothesis is that Yale's system was created specifically to beat Cornell in ECAC conference play. How does the coaching staff respond to this? I have mostly questions, not answers.

Date: March 27, 2011 10:38AM

Kyle Rose
Trotsky
This is only part of it. The other question I have is why Cornell has had such a problem keeping games against Yale close for the past four years, while Yale nearly loses to Air Force two days ago. As I pointed out, Air Force isn't any more talented than Cornell, so talent can't entirely account for the difference. My hypothesis is that Yale's system was created specifically to beat Cornell in ECAC conference play. How does the coaching staff respond to this? I have mostly questions, not answers.
OK, I missed that part of it. While Allain may have designed a team specifically to get past Cornell, he did it pretty well: they were 65-25-6 in games against teams not named "Cornell" in the last 3 years.

In both talent and experience the teams should reverse directions, Cornell rising while Yale falls. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see our places in the standings swap. Union, as difficult as it is to wrap one's mind around, is now the team to beat.

The stat that most concerns me is shots faced per 60 minutes. Since the admittedly Annus Mirabilis of 2003, when Cornell goaltenders faced just 20.6 shots per 60 minutes, the best in team history, the number has risen about as consistently as radiation at the Fukushima plant. This season's 29.8 was the highest since 1999. Note the save percentage is still excellent by historical standards and quite typical of a 2000's "System" team. It's the sheer bulk of additional shots faced that's hurting us.
Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2011 10:55AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.mycingular.net)
Date: March 27, 2011 12:28PM

Trotsky
OK, I missed that part of it. While Allain may have designed a team specifically to get past Cornell, he did it pretty well: they were 65-25-6 in games against teams not named "Cornell" in the last 3 years.
I'm not contending that Yale isn't generally skilled: far from it, I recognize that they are an excellent team with an effective system. But part of what I'm saying is that Cornell is making them look better than they really are.

In both talent and experience the teams should reverse directions, Cornell rising while Yale falls. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see our places in the standings swap.
True as this may turn out, it doesn't give me warm fuzzies: Cornell can have a better conference record and still not solve the Yale puzzle.

I'll try to respond to the rest later: ELynah's editor thoroughly confuses the Android browser, making composing responses irritating at best.

Date: March 27, 2011 12:56PM

Trotsky
Union, as difficult as it is to wrap one's mind around, is now the team to beat.
We'll see. At this point Yale seems to execute better, but it won't be clear until next year whether this continues to be true without their stellar senior class.

The stat that most concerns me is shots faced per 60 minutes. Since the admittedly Annus Mirabilis of 2003, when Cornell goaltenders faced just 20.6 shots per 60 minutes, the best in team history, the number has risen about as consistently as radiation at the Fukushima plant. This season's 29.8 was the highest since 1999. Note the save percentage is still excellent by historical standards and quite typical of a 2000's "System" team. It's the sheer bulk of additional shots faced that's hurting us.
The problem here is almost certainly that the officiating has changed: the board-grinding teams of the late-90's/early-00's would take too many PIM to be effective now. As a result, you're going to see more shots. What's the response to this? I don't know: "score more" seems a bit too glib. :-)

Posted by: Rita (---.med.miami.edu)
Date: March 28, 2011 05:52PM

Interesting side note from the east regionals in Bridgeport.

Sunday's Bridgeport-Syracuse AHL game was postponed due to unsafe ice conditions. I wonder if it was due to that pane of glass that was causing problems Friday and Saturday in the regional games.

From the team's website
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2011 05:53PM by Rita.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 28, 2011 06:47PM

Rita

Sunday's Bridgeport-Syracuse AHL game was postponed due to unsafe ice conditions. I wonder if it was due to that pane of glass that was causing problems Friday and Saturday in the regional games.

From the team's website
I think it was the 7000 Yale fans crying, or the crap they threw on the ice.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 28, 2011 07:17PM

Rita

From the team's website
Move it to Atlantic City where the ice conditions are a constant.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: March 29, 2011 08:15AM

billhoward
Rita

From the team's website

Constantly crap, but constant.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: March 29, 2011 10:08AM

Jeff Hopkins '82
billhoward
Rita

From the team's website

Constantly crap, but constant.
AC sucks. But It could always be worse.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2011 10:09AM by Trotsky.

Page: Previous1 2 
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login