Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Announcing the College Hockey News iPhone App!

Posted by CowbellGuy 
Announcing the College Hockey News iPhone App!
Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: March 22, 2011 12:24PM

After a very lengthy development process, we are proud to announce the release of the College Hockey News iPhone (and iPod Touch) App! We were hoping to get it into everyone's hands much earlier in the season, but we also wanted to get it right. Features include a full schedule for every D1 team, Pairwise rankings, conference standings, and of course all the latest CHN News. You can even pick your favorite team! The app is free and available immediately.

We'll have more features added before the next season gets under way, but we welcome any feedback before then. For more information and to download the app:

[salsashark.com]

Re: Announcing the College Hockey News iPhone App!
Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: March 22, 2011 12:59PM

View the latest Pairwise Rankings and RPI updated daily.
So what's the deal? You can't have updates "on the fly"?:-}bolt

Date: March 22, 2011 01:09PM

Well, I believe the data is updated after most games, or at least after the last game of the day. There's a script that then packages that info up for the app which runs automatically a couple times a day. "Daily" seemed like a more concise way to describe that. ;)

Posted by: pfibiger (---.186.101.97.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: March 22, 2011 06:00PM

Very cool. I had a bug where the tabs on the standings section didn't work. they'd highlight on press, but it always stayed w/ atlantic hockey. after a bit of flipping around, they worked fine. also, the order seems to have changed..i guess because i favorited cornell, it put the ecac first? if so, very nice touch. if not, i'll believe that was the reason :)

for the calendar view, it'd be nice to start on the next day with available games, the screen's a little confusing if you start up on a day that doesn't have any games and it's a blank view.

in general: bravo, very well done. it'll be my go-to place for scores (aside from the elynah twitter feed). speaking of twitter, it might be cool to bring in the data from CHN's live game twitter stuff, for people forced to leave their home when their favorite team is playing.

Posted by: nr53 (---.cisco.com)
Date: March 22, 2011 06:11PM

Any plans for an Android version?

Date: March 22, 2011 06:17PM

Yes, it puts your favorite team's conference first in the standings view and at the top of the calendar view. I considered having it go to the first day with games, but that might also be confusing if you're not paying attention. Also, if you pick a date with no games, it should still go to that day even if there are none. Probably need to add a "no games scheduled for this day" or something. The data is coming from the same place as the Twitter feed, so the scoreboard should reflect whatever is on Twitter, unless I'm misunderstanding your point.

And at this point there's no Android version in development, but it's being considered.

Posted by: pfibiger (---.186.101.97.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: March 22, 2011 06:35PM

What I meant about twitter was the bit where CHN did some sort of "live scoreboard" which was a collection of tweets from a group of people identified as tweeting a particular game. it'd be really nice not to have to follow 50 people across college hockey but know that if i wanted to check in on a game that was happening, i could click through to it on the app and see a timeline of action in the game and get updates.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 22, 2011 11:42PM

Oh sure, just in time for Cornell's season to have recently ended. THANKS.

No, I'm just kidding, it looks awesome.

Posted by: adamw (---.bms.com)
Date: March 23, 2011 09:57AM

pfibiger
What I meant about twitter was the bit where CHN did some sort of "live scoreboard" which was a collection of tweets from a group of people identified as tweeting a particular game. it'd be really nice not to have to follow 50 people across college hockey but know that if i wanted to check in on a game that was happening, i could click through to it on the app and see a timeline of action in the game and get updates.

You're referring to our "Tweetcast" (I can see the brand marketing is working) ... [www.collegehockeynews.com]

Live streaming twitter feed of everyone tweeting about that game - all packaged nicely. We didn't promote it much this year. There may be technical hurdles getting that into the app - but it's something to think about.

Posted by: JasonN95 (---.dsl2.mon.ny.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 26, 2011 01:36AM

I'll assume you're not working on the Android version because you're busily putting the final touches on the webOS version. On behalf of those of us who've been won over by webOS's elegance, thank you. :-D

Date: March 26, 2011 04:39PM

web-O-what?

Posted by: JasonN95 (---.dsl2.mon.ny.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 27, 2011 03:15PM

CowbellGuy
web-O-what?

I expected more from an Apple (i.e., critically claimed, relatively small following) supporter. ;-) Betamax was also good, dammit!

Date: March 31, 2011 06:07PM

Version 1.0.1 is now available, which fixes a bunch of bugs. The app will now run on any iOS 4.x device. Bugs that caused the games to intermittently not appear on the schedule page, live scoreboard updates to stop updating, and intermittent instability fetching database information from the server have all been addressed. You will now also only see the "Updating" overlay when there are updates being fetched and not when it's simply checking if updates are available. Also, if there are no games scheduled for a day, the calendar will say so rather than just showing a blank page.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: July 06, 2011 12:04PM

nr53
<bump>

Date: July 07, 2011 09:00AM

Not from me.

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: July 07, 2011 09:40AM

billhoward
nr53
<bump>

FWIW, I just noticed this week that the ESPN Scorecenter app (iPhone version) now features NCAA Men's and NCAA Women's hockey (and NCAA Men's Lacrosse) as sports you can add. It appears that it only features recent scores for those, but it's better than nothing. I can only assume the same for the Android version of the app.

Posted by: Chris '03 (38.104.240.---)
Date: July 07, 2011 09:48AM

RichH
billhoward
nr53
<bump>

FWIW, I just noticed this week that the ESPN Scorecenter app (iPhone version) now features NCAA Men's and NCAA Women's hockey (and NCAA Men's Lacrosse) as sports you can add. It appears that it only features recent scores for those, but it's better than nothing. I can only assume the same for the Android version of the app.

Pointsreak also has an android app with NCAA hockey scores, standings, stats, and video highlights. Haven't used it in-season so I don't know how well it's kept up to date.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: July 07, 2011 11:53AM

Chris '03
RichH
billhoward
nr53
<bump>

Pointsreak also has an android app with NCAA hockey scores, standings, stats, and video highlights. Haven't used it in-season so I don't know how well it's kept up to date.
They're the official stats provider for a lot of leagues, so I could see them as being the sort of company whose app would be diligently updated.

Date: July 07, 2011 01:35PM

I can't speak to Pointstreak's app, but the ScoreCenter app has had NCAA hockey scores for a long time. On a good night, they'll have maybe 20% of the game scores while in progress and feature such things as negative periods. I'm not kidding. I'll believe Pointstreak having live scores when I see it.

Date: October 10, 2011 04:34PM

Version 1.1 is now live! You can now view rosters for each team, a game detail page with rosters and live in-game scoring information, as well as rewritten team, pairwise, and standings views. And of course, lots of bug fixes. Have at it!

[salsashark.com]

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: October 15, 2011 11:21PM

Pretty nice. One more reason for sliding over to the dark side. Willingly.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: October 29, 2011 04:54PM

For those who would rather "Root" than "Jailbreak" the workaround that I used last night was to paste this into the browser on my Droid:

Scoreboard from CHN

There is an app called SportsCaster in the Android market that claims it will cover NCAA hockey. As of now if you choose the Cornell football game you will get tweets about Cornell athletics - some of which have been hockey related - in the center of the screen.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 27, 2011 11:33PM

Off subject some, but is there a way to watch Redcast on an iPhone? I'm away for the Clarkson game and that may be my only access.

Date: November 28, 2011 09:50AM

Jim Hyla
Off subject some, but is there a way to watch Redcast on an iPhone? I'm away for the Clarkson game and that may be my only access.

Nope.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: November 28, 2011 11:46AM

Jim Hyla
I can watch on my ASUS Android tablet.banana

Posted by: scoop85 (173.84.100.---)
Date: November 28, 2011 12:04PM

CowbellGuy
Jim Hyla

Nope.

Hopefully with Adobe's announcement that they're discontinuing Flash, we'll eventually be able to watch Redcast on Apple devices.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: November 28, 2011 01:35PM

CowbellGuy
Jim Hyla

Nope.
Thanks, I figured that. Was hoping someone had a work around.

Posted by: TimV (---.amc.edu)
Date: November 29, 2011 09:50AM

Big TV down?bugeye

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: November 29, 2011 10:53AM

TimV
Big TV down?
No, but Redcast video quality is not something to put on a 50" screen...even when Redcast is working.panic

Date: December 08, 2011 01:42PM

Version 1.2.1 is now available. It fixes a nasty crashing bug with iOS 4 from version 1.2. 1.2 added pregame notifications for your favorite team as well as final score and breaking news alerts for your favorite team.

Posted by: ajh258 (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: December 08, 2011 08:45PM

CowbellGuy
Version 1.2.1 is now available. It fixes a nasty crashing bug with iOS 4 from version 1.2. 1.2 added pregame notifications for your favorite team as well as final score and breaking news alerts for your favorite team.
Hoorah!

Now if there's only a way to match the PWR table in the app with USCHO's table (not really sure why there's a disparity) and update records/score/PWR as soon as games end, this would be the most awesome app ever!

Date: December 09, 2011 04:36PM

ajh258
CowbellGuy
Hoorah!

Now if there's only a way to match the PWR table in the app with USCHO's table (not really sure why there's a disparity) and update records/score/PWR as soon as games end, this would be the most awesome app ever!

THIS is the most awesome app ever.

Get a CLOO, rent a LOO!

Awesomerest

Fly Away

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2012 02:33PM by marty.

Date: November 06, 2012 03:36PM

Haven't been keeping this thread updated, but version 1.5.1 is now available. It fixes some important bugs from 1.5 so everyone who has the app installed, please update. If you have an iPhone and don't have it installed, what are you waiting for?! :)

Version 1.5 added extensive box scores for most games including statistics, game events, Tale of the Tape comparisons, lineups, along with extensive improvements under the hood.

Posted by: nyc94 (---.sub-174-252-19.myvzw.com)
Date: February 06, 2013 05:10PM

I just updated to the latest version and it crashes almost immediately after opening.

Date: February 06, 2013 05:32PM

nyc94
I just updated to the latest version and it crashes almost immediately after opening.

iPhone or Android?

Posted by: nyc94 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: February 06, 2013 05:34PM

marty
nyc94

iPhone or Android?

iPhone 4S, iOS 6.1

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 06, 2013 05:42PM

nyc94
marty
nyc94

iPhone or Android?

iPhone 4S, iOS 6.1
I have the same hardware and operating system and am getting the same problem. It spins through "updating television" and then crashes.

Date: February 06, 2013 08:03PM

If you followed the Twitter feed you'd know I was frantically chasing the problem. Only affected users with no watched teams, so I added a little server-side kludge that will cause Air Force to appear as a watched team for those folks. The bug fix was submitted and an expedited review was requested so hopefully 1.6.2 will be available in a couple days. Until then, ignore those highlighted Air Force games. Or add your own watched team(s).

Posted by: JDeafv (---.hsd1.in.comcast.net)
Date: February 08, 2013 11:37AM

marty

iPhone or Android?

Fortunately, the Android version doesn't get updated, so it doesn't have any problem of crashing after updates. :)

Posted by: marty (---.sub-70-215-5.myvzw.com)
Date: February 08, 2013 12:18PM

JDeafv
marty

iPhone or Android?

Fortunately, the Android version doesn't get updated, so it doesn't have any problem of crashing after updates. :)

Yes, why mess with perfection?

At the RIP game a few weeks ago I enlightened my friend by redirecting him to the app. (I know I showed him last year.) I was surprised to find out that the Android version had more in game info than the version he downloaded to his iPhone.

Date: February 08, 2013 09:24PM

marty
JDeafv
marty

iPhone or Android?

At the RIP game a few weeks ago I enlightened my friend by redirecting him to the app. (I know I showed him last year.) I was surprised to find out that the Android version had more in game info than the version he downloaded to his iPhone.

That's not true. They're reading the same exact data. I'm showing all of it, so unless Jon's fabricating some, I'd love to know what wasn't there. Or maybe your friend should learn to tap the "Box Score" button.

Date: February 08, 2013 11:30PM

CowbellGuy
marty
JDeafv
marty

iPhone or Android?

That's not true. They're reading the same exact data. I'm showing all of it, so unless Jon's fabricating some, I'd love to know what wasn't there. Or maybe your friend should learn to tap the "Box Score" button.

I'm sure you are right. Will check again at the next RIP home game.

Posted by: marty (---.sub-70-215-0.myvzw.com)
Date: February 16, 2013 08:34PM

marty
CowbellGuy
marty
JDeafv
marty

iPhone or Android?

We can't find the goalie in net on the iPhone version. That and saves show up in Android.

Date: February 16, 2013 09:54PM

marty
marty
CowbellGuy
marty
JDeafv
marty

iPhone or Android?

We can't find the goalie in net on the iPhone version. That and saves show up in Android.

I intentionally kept that "first" goalie change at 0:00 out of the game events because it seemed extraneous, but I'll probably turn it back on in the iPhone version. As for saves...

Date: February 16, 2013 10:15PM

CowbellGuy
marty
marty
CowbellGuy
marty
JDeafv
marty

iPhone or Android?

I intentionally kept that "first" goalie change at 0:00 out of the game events because it seemed extraneous, but I'll probably turn it back on in the iPhone version. As for saves...

Yeah, sorry we were also trying to watch the game. ;-)

Date: February 22, 2013 06:17PM

Sorry if this has been covered but any idea why the Alerts feature for Favorite Team Goals is not working? I turn it On and hit save and then never receive an alert. When I go back to look at the Alerts & Reminders page the switch has flipped back to Off. iPhone 4S, latest version of the app, latest iOS update.

Date: February 22, 2013 07:07PM

nyc94
Sorry if this has been covered but any idea why the Alerts feature for Favorite Team Goals is not working? I turn it On and hit save and then never receive an alert. When I go back to look at the Alerts & Reminders page the switch has flipped back to Off. iPhone 4S, latest version of the app, latest iOS update.

Haven't seen that behavior and not sure I can explain it. Only thing I can suggest if you haven't tried it, is deleting the app and reinstalling it. Might need to generate a new token ID for your phone which will happen on a clean install. If that doesn't work let me know. Is it only with favorite team goals or does it also happen with the other alert settings?

Date: February 22, 2013 07:46PM

CowbellGuy
nyc94

Haven't seen that behavior and not sure I can explain it. Only thing I can suggest if you haven't tried it, is deleting the app and reinstalling it. Might need to generate a new token ID for your phone which will happen on a clean install. If that doesn't work let me know. Is it only with favorite team goals or does it also happen with the other alert settings?

It was probably "user error" as I went into Settings and Notifications and selected Alerts and now I am receiving score alerts. In my defense I didn't know I had to do this since "Favorite Team Game Alert" was already working fine.

Also, I have "Badge App Icon" set to "On" but have yet to see one.

Date: February 22, 2013 08:26PM

Yes, the OS notification preferences always take precedence as to whether you receive notifications or not. The game alerts are local (generated by the app, not sent from a server), so they don't fall under that setting. The first time you ran the app, it would have asked you if you want to allow it to receive notifications and you likely declined, but you obviously figured out how to turn it on. Good reminder though. I'll have to mention that in the help section.

I think the only thing the app badge is used for is breaking news (not much point using it for goals or scores IMO) but there has been a bit of a disconnect getting those news notifications on Adam's end of late. Been meaning to get on his case about that.

Date: February 23, 2013 10:10AM

The behavior I'm seeing is that I once turned on the "game reminder" and have it turned off now, but I'm still getting game reminders. It was mildly startling to have been just about to turn my cars ignition just as a very loud refs whistle sounded.

Date: February 23, 2013 02:14PM

RichH
The behavior I'm seeing is that I once turned on the "game reminder" and have it turned off now, but I'm still getting game reminders. It was mildly startling to have been just about to turn my cars ignition just as a very loud refs whistle sounded.

Game reminder uses the organ sound. Your story has holes in it. However, I'll check to make sure those events are being cleared when disabled.

Date: February 23, 2013 06:02PM

CowbellGuy
RichH

Game reminder uses the organ sound. Your story has holes in it. However, I'll check to make sure those events are being cleared when disabled.

Ha. As it just happened again, you are correct, of course. The refs whistle must have come from a goal. But thanks for looking into it.

Date: February 24, 2013 11:47AM

Any chance you could add a "back to (date)" button on the Box Score page? Most often during games I click on a game to see the scoring, then go to box score. At that point I usually want to go back to the date page to look at different games. It would be nice to skip going back through the scoring page.

Thanks for doing this, you've almost brought USCHO out of the industrial revolution. Now, if CHN would just do women as well, I'd be able to skip them completely.

Date: February 24, 2013 01:18PM

Jim Hyla
Any chance you could add a "back to (date)" button on the Box Score page? Most often during games I click on a game to see the scoring, then go to box score. At that point I usually want to go back to the date page to look at different games. It would be nice to skip going back through the scoring page.

Thanks for doing this, you've almost brought USCHO out of the industrial revolution. Now, if CHN would just do women as well, I'd be able to skip them completely.

If you have the current version installed, tapping the Calendar icon on the tab bar will take you straight back to the current date.

Date: February 24, 2013 04:07PM

CowbellGuy
Jim Hyla

If you have the current version installed, tapping the Calendar icon on the tab bar will take you straight back to the current date.

When I go to Box Score, I lose the tab bar. So I have to use the Back button. I'm on 1.6.4.

Date: February 24, 2013 06:01PM

Jim Hyla
CowbellGuy
Jim Hyla

When I go to Box Score, I lose the tab bar. So I have to use the Back button. I'm on 1.6.4.

Oh, you're right. The box score view covers the tab bar. So, umm, no, there isn't a way to get directly back to today's calendar from there. And there likely won't be. It's already too cluttered for my taste to be adding another button.

Date: March 04, 2013 06:17PM

RichH
CowbellGuy
RichH

Ha. As it just happened again, you are correct, of course. The refs whistle must have come from a goal. But thanks for looking into it.

You are correct. It'll be fixed in the next version. Thanks.

Date: March 29, 2013 08:11PM

The new Android version isn't showing the in game box today 3/29. Is live stats working during the NCAAs?

Date: March 29, 2013 09:01PM

marty
The new Android version isn't showing the in game box today 3/29. Is live stats working during the NCAAs?

There are no live stats for NCAA tournament games.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 29, 2013 11:39PM

CowbellGuy
marty

When I tap "Box Score" (iOS version) I get the tale of the tape screen. Same root cause?

Date: March 30, 2013 05:40AM

Josh '99
CowbellGuy
marty

When I tap "Box Score" (iOS version) I get the tale of the tape screen. Same root cause?

Yes. That's all I can see in the Android version too. Before Age replied I restored the previous version from backup and realized that it acted the same as the new version.

The new version looks great. Thank you!

Date: March 30, 2013 11:48AM

Tale of the Tape uses data that's always available so, at a minimum, that will always be shown when you tap Box Score. The rest of it is dependent on data from the live stats of each game. NCAA owns the rights to the tourney games so they're not part of our package. Everything you see in the app from the tourney is done manually. We assembled partial box score data after yesterday's games. However, we are working on a script that attempts to cobble together some of that data from public sources, so you may see some of it return.

Posted by: JDeafv (---.hsd1.in.comcast.net)
Date: April 03, 2013 11:47AM

CowbellGuy
However, we are working on a script that attempts to cobble together some of that data from public sources, so you may see some of it return.

The NCAA sucks.

It was bad timing to release a new version of the Android app when we knew box scores / live stats would not be available immediately for NCAA games. A bunch of folks down-rated the Android app as a result, oh well. Fortunately, we got the some amount of box score information working in a semi-automated fashion. Hopefully that approach will work for the FF.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login