Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Women's Frozen Four Thread

Posted by RichH 
Women's Frozen Four Thread
Posted by: RichH (167.225.107.---)
Date: March 14, 2011 04:45PM

This definitely deserves it's own thread. As someone who remembers the days where just making the ECAC tournament field was a major accomplishment and the attendance rivaled the number of goals scored...two Frozen Fours in a row is just about unfathomable. Congratulations to Coach Derraugh and the team!

There's an interesting quote mentioning us in this magazine article about Mercyhurst. It shows how far we've come:

“Every year, we are the little train that could,” he says, comparing his team to the larger powerhouse teams of Division I schools like the University of Wisconsin, the University of Minnesota, and Cornell. “We are the team that no one expects or wants to be there with the heavyweights of women’s hockey.

Which is funny to me, since MC was a powerhouse long before Cornell's great awakening last year. In fact, I saw Cornell's win over MC in the NCAA Semis as being a "shook up the world" moment for our program.

Unfortunately, none of the CU players named Kazmeier Finalists made it to be a ummm...Finalist. Super-Finalist. Whatever. All three "Finalists" are Senior forwards: Agosta (Mercyhurst), Duggan (Wisc.), and Stack (BC). Agosta and Duggan are the only 2 players in the NCAA scoring over 2 ppg.

As for the hosts, losing to BU had to be crushing. This article from Jan. has some choice quotes about the attendance & atmosphere in Erie being linked to MC's presence. At least we won't have to battle a large hostile crowd.

I just hope we can get by Dartmouth in the Semis to set up a highly-anticipated Final against Dartmouth. ;-)

I really hope we get a good fan turnout. It's a 4-hour drive on the Southern Tier Expressway from Ithaca, which is much easier to justify than a flight to Minneapolis last year. We're easily the closest team geographically. The only bugger is the overlap of the Women's FF with the ECAC Men's Championship weekend.

LET'S GO RED!!

Re: Women's Frozen Four Thread
Posted by: ugarte (66.9.23.---)
Date: March 14, 2011 06:15PM

RichH
Which is funny to me, since MC was a powerhouse long before Cornell's great awakening last year. In fact, I saw Cornell's win over MC in the NCAA Semis as being a "shook up the world" moment for our program.
That they were historically good is different from asking if they are a big-dog program. I'll bet Cornell's AD budget dwarfs that of Mercyhurst AND we spend more on the women's hockey program. I also would rather spout assumptions than go to Google.

I may not be a good person.

Posted by: mha (---.cit.cornell.edu)
Date: March 15, 2011 05:42PM

I only got to four women's games this season, but I enjoyed every one of them. (My frequent road-trip habit means I miss most of the women's home games because I'm at the men's away games.) If I didn't feel as much of a connection as I do to the players on this year's men's team, and their parents, I'd be much more willing to let the annoyances piling up with Atlantic City push me westward instead of southeast.

If the women win their semifinal, you may yet see me in Erie on Sunday afternoon.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 15, 2011 08:58PM

mha
I only got to four women's games this season, but I enjoyed every one of them. (My frequent road-trip habit means I miss most of the women's home games because I'm at the men's away games.) If I didn't feel as much of a connection as I do to the players on this year's men's team, and their parents, I'd be much more willing to let the annoyances piling up with Atlantic City push me westward instead of southeast.

If the women win their semifinal, you may yet see me in Erie on Sunday afternoon.
Hey, it's only what, a 6 or 7 hour drive.

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 15, 2011 10:27PM

Jim Hyla
mha

Google Maps says 7:38, rink-to-rink.

Date: March 15, 2011 10:48PM

David Harding
Jim Hyla
mha

But they don't drive like I do. And to be fair I'm starting from outside Philly. That is unless we lose Friday, at which point I'm leaving for Syracuse, and if I go to Erie, it'll be from there on Sunday.

Re: Women's Frozen Four Thread Party?
Posted by: tburgfirefighter (---.borgwarner.com)
Date: March 16, 2011 01:13PM

Are there any parties planned for Erie?

Posted by: CKinsland (---.chem.cornell.edu)
Date: March 16, 2011 02:06PM

I'll be in Erie, but with young ones so I won't be partying. I can loan out a man, but I need him back in reasonable shape. I like getting him back like this dribble but I don't want him returned like this barf

For those headed to Erie, we're planning to check out:

[www.brewerie.com] drunk

and

[www.goerie.com]

Anybody from that area have other suggestions for dining and/or entertainment? We'll be there Friday-Sunday so we've got all of Saturday to fill. Presque Isle is on our docket (weather permitting), the maritime museum, etc.

CK

Posted by: mha (---.cit.cornell.edu)
Date: March 16, 2011 03:47PM

Leaving Atlantic City by 6am Sunday sounds sufficiently painful that it's unlikely I'd pull it off, but it's still an option in the back of my head.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 16, 2011 04:12PM

>>> I'll be in Erie, but with young ones so I won't be partying. I can loan out a man, but I need him back in reasonable shape.

Now THAT was funny and pretty original. Twice unlike a Gilbert Gottfried Tweet.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: March 16, 2011 04:40PM

mha
Leaving Atlantic City by 6am Sunday sounds sufficiently painful that it's unlikely I'd pull it off, but it's still an option in the back of my head.
Same for me, see how I feel Sun AM.

Posted by: Tom Pasniewski 98 (---.c3-0.bkl-ubr1.sbo-bkl.ma.cable.rcn.com)
Date: March 16, 2011 05:01PM

David Harding
Jim Hyla
mha

I'm headed to Erie from Boston leaving very early Friday morning. Plan to stay through Sunday and probably head up to Buffalo/Niagara Falls on Saturday since the honey has never been. It will be a typical three-day jam packed weekend where I play beat the Monday crack of dawn home. I have not ruled out driving from Erie to Atlantic City on Saturday if the men win Friday and the women don't make it to Sunday.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: March 16, 2011 05:06PM

It's about 400 miles from Philly, which makes it about 450 from AC. Even averaging 70 mph, that's 6½ hours. More likely closer to 7.

Date: March 16, 2011 05:21PM

The next 2 are in Minnesota, and I'd guess conflicts with ECAC again, so this is a good one to try to get to.

And I love it. I click on the ECAC tournament link "All About AC" to see if dates for next year are up, and up pops:

ATLANTIC CITY FISHING, GOLF AND MORE!
How nice in mid March.

Date: March 16, 2011 05:29PM

CornellBigRed announces free, live streaming of the women's games, via the NCAA.

Posted by: ebilmes (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 16, 2011 07:23PM

Jim Hyla
mha

Some of us are taking the 6am flight out of ACY on Sunday... Do it for the team(s)!

Date: March 16, 2011 10:19PM

ebilmes
Jim Hyla
mha

Some of us are taking the 6am flight out of ACY on Sunday... Do it for the team(s)!
And then what do I do with my car?drive

Posted by: Weder (12.42.114.---)
Date: March 17, 2011 09:33AM

Ithaca Journal article notes that Hayley Hughes sat out the end of last season for financial reasons. Interesting.
[www.theithacajournal.com]

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: March 17, 2011 06:49PM

Jim Hyla
CornellBigRed announces free, live streaming of the women's games, via the NCAA.
According to this press release, there is free WiFi at Boardwalk Hall, so if any enterprising fans were to bring laptops with them to the rink in AC, tabs could be kept on the women's game. (Unfortunately, the timing doesn't work out as well as it did last year, when the women's team played their semifinal after the men's team had won theirs.)

Posted by: dag14 (---.127-70.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: March 17, 2011 08:04PM

I hope that posters can just let this one go; a player's family financial situation should be a private matter.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 17, 2011 08:52PM

dag14
I hope that posters can just let this one go; a player's family financial situation should be a private matter.

Not that I'm going to discuss it, but the player seemed to have no qualms talking about it to the IJ

Date: March 17, 2011 09:50PM

scoop85
dag14

Not that I'm going to discuss it, but the player seemed to have no qualms talking about it to the IJ
Agreed, it's no longer private once you talk to the newspaper.

Date: March 17, 2011 09:57PM

cornellbigred.com reports 3 Women's All-Americans.
First Team 			
Pos. 	Player 	        School 	        Year
G 	Molly Schaus 	Boston College 	Sr.
D 	Laura Fortino 	Cornell 	So.
D 	Jocelyne Larocque Minn-Duluth 	Sr.
F 	Meghan Agosta 	Mercyhurst 	Sr.
F 	Meghan Duggan 	Wisconsin 	Sr.
F 	Hilary Knight 	Wisconsin 	Jr.

Second Team 			
G 	Noora Raty 	Minnesota 	So.
D 	Lauriane Rougeau Cornell 	So.
D 	Catherine Ward 	Boston U 	Sr.
F 	Brianna Decker 	Wisconsin 	So.
F 	Rebecca Johnston Cornell 	Jr.
F 	Kelli Stack 	Boston College 	Sr.

Posted by: nyc94 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 18, 2011 06:52PM

Wisconsin and BC are tied 2-2 with about 8:30 to play 3rd period.
edit: Badgers take a 3-2 lead with 48 seconds left in the game.
edit: And that's how it ends.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2011 07:06PM by nyc94.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: March 18, 2011 09:28PM

BU 3 - CU 1 after 2. C'mon ladies.

Posted by: Ben (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 18, 2011 09:33PM

Just got home from Ithaca...what happened 2nd period?

Date: March 18, 2011 10:12PM

Dead

Posted by: mattj711 (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: March 18, 2011 10:27PM

Unfortunately, Cornell was just completely out of sink. Overall, it was a great season. It's to bad the last game wasn't a much more positive one. The good news is Cornell will be even better next season. It'll be a very long summer...

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 18, 2011 10:34PM

BU was clearly the better team after the 1st 10 minutes of 1st period. Perhaps the less than stellar competition during the season (that many people have commented on) caught up with them tonight. They just didn't seem able to handle how quickly BU got on top of them, especially on the forecheck

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: March 18, 2011 10:38PM

Bummer. :-( I was looking forward to watching the championship on TV.

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 18, 2011 11:34PM

Kyle Rose
Bummer. :-( I was looking forward to watching the championship on TV.

Sadly, even the championship isn't televised.

Date: March 18, 2011 11:41PM

Well, that was a bit worry. Probably shows how weak the ECAC was this year.

Posted by: Towerroad (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 19, 2011 07:58AM

scoop85
BU was clearly the better team after the 1st 10 minutes of 1st period. Perhaps the less than stellar competition during the season (that many people have commented on) caught up with them tonight. They just didn't seem able to handle how quickly BU got on top of them, especially on the forecheck

First, Thank you to the team for a great year and a special thank you to the Seniors

Your observations were pretty much the same as mine. We got beat to the puck and the BU Defense was stifling. I hope we will be playing stronger teams in the regular season next year. We need to be playing teams from the WCHA and HE if we are going to be in shape for the tournament.

But, this is a young team with a great future.

LGR

Date: March 19, 2011 01:19PM

Towerroad
I hope we will be playing stronger teams in the regular season next year. We need to be playing teams from the WCHA and HE if we are going to be in shape for the tournament.
Absolutely. Mercyhurst was our only non-conference opponent this year that finished in the top 20. Even if WCHA teams don't want to come out to Ithaca (or we don't want to travel there), we should be able to work something out to play one or two of the top teams in HE.

Posted by: amerks127 (---.inet6.dpw.com)
Date: April 05, 2011 10:06AM

[cornellsun.com]

This is the first in a three-part series of diary entries from junior goalie Amanda Mazzotta detailing the women’s hockey team’s journey to the Frozen Four. In this entry, Mazzotta discusses the days leading up to the Red’s opening round match with Dartmouth.

Date: April 07, 2011 07:27AM

Rebecca Johnston going to World Championships.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login