Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Rule Changes?

Posted by Jim Hyla 
Rule Changes?
Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 20, 2011 09:22PM

Poll
How Should OT Be Played?
Only registered users are allowed to vote for this poll.
69 votes were received.
As it is now for 5 min. 46

67%
As it is now for 5 min., followed by a shootout. 3

4%
4x4 for 5 min. 11

16%
4x4 for 5 min., followed by a shootout. 3

4%
4x4 for 5 min., 3x3 for 5 min. 3

4%
4x4 for 5 min., 3x3 for 5 min., followed by a shootout. 3

4%

NHL.com starts the discussion. First a change in OT?

Re: Rule Changes?
Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: January 20, 2011 11:40PM

If the NCAA really wants to reduce the number of ties (which I don't think is necessary), I would find it more palatable to lengthen overtime to 10 or 20 minutes rather than playing by different rules or having a yark shootout.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 21, 2011 06:58AM

jtwcornell91
If the NCAA really wants to reduce the number of ties (which I don't think is necessary), I would find it more palatable to lengthen overtime to 10 or 20 minutes rather than playing by different rules or having a yark shootout.
Agree. Seems to me OT was longer at one time.

Posted by: Give My Regards (---.atc-nycorp.com)
Date: January 21, 2011 08:49AM

Al DeFlorio

OT was ten minutes until the 89-90 season. The ice was resurfaced prior to OT and, as I recall, there was a full intermission.

Date: January 21, 2011 11:07AM

Give My Regards
Al DeFlorio

OT was ten minutes until the 89-90 season. The ice was resurfaced prior to OT and, as I recall, there was a full intermission.
Better that way, IMO. Just like the lacrosse OT procedure from the '70s (total goals, not sudden victory) was better.

Posted by: ftyuv (66.152.196.---)
Date: January 21, 2011 12:40PM

Al DeFlorio
Give My Regards
Al DeFlorio

Better that way, IMO. Just like the lacrosse OT procedure from the '70s (total goals, not sudden victory) was better.

I agree. And if the league really has to have a shootout, I think a longer OT should be a part of that deal. Same goes for the NHL... I don't like the shootout, but if you're going to have it, at least reduce the chances of games ending that way!

Or heck, why not replace the shootout with a skating relay race? If you're going to determine the whole game based on how three people do on one specific skill, why does that skill have to be shooting in particular?

Posted by: redice (---.aomc.org)
Date: January 21, 2011 01:50PM

Since CU tends to have a shortage of players who "finish"....It would seem to me that going to a shootout would not benefit The Red..Such a rule would benefit the teams who tend to gather the blue chip offensive players.

-Ned Harkness

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: January 21, 2011 02:27PM

redice
Since CU tends to have a shortage of players who "finish"...
That's what she said?

Posted by: Rita (129.171.150.---)
Date: January 21, 2011 02:56PM

ftyuv
Al DeFlorio
Give My Regards
Al DeFlorio

I agree. And if the league really has to have a shootout, I think a longer OT should be a part of that deal. Same goes for the NHL... I don't like the shootout, but if you're going to have it, at least reduce the chances of games ending that way!

Or heck, why not replace the shootout with a skating relay race? If you're going to determine the whole game based on how three people do on one specific skill, why does that skill have to be shooting in particular?

Then I would vote for the "shooting at targets" event from the NHL All-Star game. nut It has been a while, but don't they get 10 pucks to hit the upper and lower corners?

Imagine the marketing opportunities for the Athletic departments and the logos that they could put on those "bull's eyes".

Date: January 21, 2011 03:22PM

Rita
ftyuv
Al DeFlorio
Give My Regards
Al DeFlorio

Then I would vote for the "shooting at targets" event from the NHL All-Star game. nut It has been a while, but don't they get 10 pucks to hit the upper and lower corners?

Imagine the marketing opportunities for the Athletic departments and the logos that they could put on those "bull's eyes".
Triple lutzes.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: January 21, 2011 04:29PM

Al DeFlorio
Rita
ftyuv
Al DeFlorio
Give My Regards
Al DeFlorio

Triple lutzes.

It's 8 shots at four targets.

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 21, 2011 10:22PM

Jim Hyla
NHL.com starts the discussion. First a change in OT?
They've never bothered me, but according to the article, most of the players don't want ties.
Chis Higgins
Of the players questioned, only Florida Panther Chris Higgins (Yale) was content with the status quo.

Posted by: judy (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 21, 2011 10:38PM

Rita
ftyuv
Al DeFlorio
Give My Regards
Al DeFlorio

I don't know why but "Pants Off, Dance Off" was the first thing that came to mind. But really, with another group of hockey fans, we were discussing the "Pose Off" as a way to break a tie. This discussion stemmed from the whole Carey Price "posing" post-win over the Penguins and then Marc Andre Fleury returning the pose after they beat Montreal a few days later.

Posted by: Rita (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: January 21, 2011 11:46PM

judy
Rita
ftyuv
Al DeFlorio
Give My Regards
Al DeFlorio

I don't know why but "Pants Off, Dance Off" was the first thing that came to mind. But really, with another group of hockey fans, we were discussing the "Pose Off" as a way to break a tie. This discussion stemmed from the whole Carey Price "posing" post-win over the Penguins and then Marc Andre Fleury returning the pose after they beat Montreal a few days later.

Can the ladies watching the game, rather than the coaches, pick the 5 players from each team to be in the first round of the "Pants Off, Dance Off"? That might be a good reason to get one of those fancy smart phones so I could instantly register my votes. bananabanana

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: January 25, 2011 12:39PM

ftyuv

Even better, you could have a whole series of events. Wait that would take too long. How 'bout this? Take all of the skills from a skills contest (and maybe make up some more), put each one on a piece of paper or a lottery ball. As soon as OT ends, we have a big ceremony where we randomly choose which skill will decide the contest. Will the home team have an advantage with their sharp shooters? Or will the speed of the visitors give them an advantage? No one knows until our lovely hostess reads out the selection...

Posted by: ftyuv (---.c3-0.smr-ubr1.sbo-smr.ma.cable.rcn.com)
Date: January 25, 2011 08:18PM

KeithK
ftyuv

Even better, you could have a whole series of events. Wait that would take too long. How 'bout this? Take all of the skills from a skills contest (and maybe make up some more), put each one on a piece of paper or a lottery ball. As soon as OT ends, we have a big ceremony where we randomly choose which skill will decide the contest. Will the home team have an advantage with their sharp shooters? Or will the speed of the visitors give them an advantage? No one knows until our lovely hostess reads out the selection...

I like the idea of using multiple skills to settle the game. If only there were some way to combine skating, shooting, passing, positional plays, physical grit, teamwork, and other factors.

Posted by: redice (---.sub-75-213-218.myvzw.com)
Date: January 25, 2011 10:32PM

ftyuv
KeithK
ftyuv

I like the idea of using multiple skills to settle the game. If only there were some way to combine skating, shooting, passing, positional plays, physical grit, teamwork, and other factors.

Yes, it's called playing the game until someone scores the winning goal....Looks like we've come full circle.:-)

-Ned Harkness

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 25, 2011 10:41PM

ftyuv
KeithK
ftyuv

I think you're onto something, Keith! We just need an edgy name for the process to catch the crowd's attention. A name that conveys the excitement with a strong hint of danger, What if we call it "Sudden Death?" :-}

Posted by: Roy 82 (128.18.14.---)
Date: January 25, 2011 11:32PM

David Harding
ftyuv
KeithK
ftyuv

I think you're onto something, Keith! We just need an edgy name for the process to catch the crowd's attention. A name that conveys the excitement with a strong hint of danger, What if we call it "Sudden Death?" :-}

Not in this day and age. I propose "Sudden Life".

Date: January 26, 2011 01:06AM

David Harding
ftyuv
KeithK
ftyuv

I think you're onto something, ftyuv! We just need an edgy name for the process to catch the crowd's attention. A name that conveys the excitement with a strong hint of danger, What if we call it "Sudden Death?" :-}

fyp!

Posted by: Towerroad (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 26, 2011 07:56AM

ftyuv
David Harding
ftyuv
KeithK
ftyuv

I think you're onto something, ftyuv! We just need an edgy name for the process to catch the crowd's attention. A name that conveys the excitement with a strong hint of danger, What if we call it "Sudden Death?" :-}

fyp!

It would never work! First the name, really sudden death? Half the audience would be appalled, the would walk out or faint rather than endure exposure to such an concept, you know how sensitive hockey fans are. What about the players, they did their best for the required time why would be bruise their sensitive egos by making them play more and possibly lose? No, everybody should get a trophy and feel good about themselves.

What were you thinking? Next you will want players to collide with each other at great velocity risking contact with the hard ice.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: January 26, 2011 08:21AM

Towerroad
ftyuv
David Harding
ftyuv
KeithK
ftyuv

fyp!

It would never work! First the name, really sudden death? Half the audience would be appalled, the would walk out or faint rather than endure exposure to such an concept, you know how sensitive hockey fans are. What about the players, they did their best for the required time why would be bruise their sensitive egos by making them play more and possibly lose? No, everybody should get a trophy and feel good about themselves.

What were you thinking? Next you will want players to collide with each other at great velocity risking contact with the hard ice.

Golden Goal?

Nah, it's been done.

Date: January 26, 2011 09:20AM

Towerroad
ftyuv
David Harding
ftyuv
KeithK
ftyuv

fyp!

What about a system where the sudden death goes on until both teams have scored, but the official win goes to the team that scores first? So the losers would be all like, "oh man, they won", but then they'd be like, "officially, sure, but we got the last goal!"

Posted by: RichH (167.225.107.---)
Date: January 26, 2011 10:59AM

Towerroad
ftyuv
David Harding
ftyuv
KeithK
ftyuv

fyp!

You do know that the NCAA uses the phrase "Sudden Victory" in sports such as wrestling, lacrosse, and soccer, right? It's been called that for at the very least 10 years, usually in official publications and media coverage. Wikipedia places the phrase back at least to Curt Gowdy in 1971.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: January 26, 2011 12:18PM

RichH
Towerroad
ftyuv
David Harding
ftyuv
KeithK
ftyuv

fyp!

You do know that the NCAA uses the phrase "Sudden Victory" in sports such as wrestling, lacrosse, and soccer, right? It's been called that for at the very least 10 years, usually in official publications and media coverage. Wikipedia places the phrase back at least to Curt Gowdy in 1971.
GAH. I HATE "sudden victory". Yes, I know the NCAA uses it, but I don't have to like it.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: January 26, 2011 01:14PM

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: January 26, 2011 02:32PM

Towerroad
What about the players, they did their best for the required time why would be bruise their sensitive egos by making them play more and possibly lose? No, everybody should get a trophy and feel good about themselves.
What a grand idea. I think the NHL should mandate that every June Lord Stanley's cup be engraved with the names of everyone who played in the NHL that season!

Posted by: Towerroad (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: January 26, 2011 02:36PM

RichH
Towerroad
ftyuv
David Harding
ftyuv
KeithK
ftyuv

fyp!

Really, Victory, do we have to keep using these militaristic terms. Doesn't that mean that there is a vanquished? How do you think that makes them feel? Isn't there a way that we can all win? And by the way what about this scoring business, that is so sexist can't we be granted a karma by our earth mother?

Posted by: Give My Regards (---.atc-nycorp.com)
Date: January 28, 2011 03:05PM

Towerroad
Really, Victory, do we have to keep using these militaristic terms. Doesn't that mean that there is a vanquished? How do you think that makes them feel? Isn't there a way that we can all win?

Well, no, but if the game ends in a TIE, then at least no one loses...

Posted by: Towerroad (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: January 28, 2011 03:29PM

Give My Regards
Towerroad
Really, Victory, do we have to keep using these militaristic terms. Doesn't that mean that there is a vanquished? How do you think that makes them feel? Isn't there a way that we can all win?

Well, no, but if the game ends in a TIE, then at least no one loses...

Isn't that really what we all want. All this striving and competition is so unpleasant don't we all just want to share with each other.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: February 17, 2011 07:46AM

Via ECAC website NCAA article on NHL experimenting on rule changes. Particular mention of the new Icing rule.

Posted by: polar (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 18, 2011 01:17PM

Something I realized the other day while discussing the new rule changes. Recall the debate we had when BU pulled their goalie when they were up 5v3 vs. Cornell. One of the major risks is that, without icing, the defense has open reign to shoot at the open net. If icing also applies to penalty kills, suddenly pulling a goalie on a power play is much less risky.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login