Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

cornell 3 - Quinnipiac - 2 in OT

Posted by upprdeck 
cornell 3 - Quinnipiac - 2 in OT
Posted by: upprdeck (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 08, 2011 07:25PM

what has happened to this board? did everyone leave at once? used to be some pretty good game discussions and followups now not even a thread?
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2011 09:05PM by upprdeck.

Re: cornell 1 - Quinnipiac - 0 end of first
Posted by: BigRedHockeyFan (---.phil.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 08, 2011 07:37PM

Cornell scored a nice goal early in the period on a give away. Almost scored a second goal with about 1 minute to go. However, they have a lot of trouble keeping the puck in their offensive end and Q seems to skate a little too unhindered in both ends. Andy Iles looks pretty good. He didn't slow down during his time away from the team. Joe Devin went awkwardly into the boards behind the Q net at the end of the period. No penalty was called. A Q player shoved him, but it wasn't really an egregious hit. Joe looked a little shaken up, but he skated off without a stoppage of play.

Posted by: Roy 82 (128.18.14.---)
Date: January 08, 2011 07:41PM

My theory is that there are two reasons for the decline:

1. Online social media has been Balkanized. Online fora are so last decade.
2. We aren't so good this year.

But if you are too lonely then you can click the Chat link on the right.

Posted by: hypotenuse (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 08, 2011 07:55PM

Iam an interested rader, but don't have much to contribute, so I stay quiet. It would be nice if we could pick up four points this weekend.

Posted by: releck97 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: January 08, 2011 08:09PM

Cornell 2 quinnipiac 1. D'Agostino. On pk now. 1:58 left in period 2

Date: January 08, 2011 08:16PM

The D'Agostino goal was a deflection off a J. Devin shot. Very nice. Good period for the Big Red. Much better puck control and offense than in the first. The defense is much more finesse and poke checking than last year. Works for me.

Re: cornell 2 - Quinnipiac - 1 after 2
Posted by: semsox (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: January 08, 2011 08:58PM

At least we're consistent.....

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 08, 2011 08:59PM

Q-Pac ties it with 7 seconds left -- arrgh!

Posted by: upprdeck (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 08, 2011 09:05PM

Joe Devin in OT wins it
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2011 09:05PM by upprdeck.

Date: January 08, 2011 09:08PM

A fast rush and a short wrister. Very nice shot. Cornell looked pretty good for the last 2 periods. Andy Iles played a great game. First 4 point weekend on the road since January 2009.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2011 09:19PM by BigRedHockeyFan.

Posted by: ebilmes (---.dsl.stlsmo.swbell.net)
Date: January 09, 2011 10:34AM

Did we really not have any powerplays? When was the last time that happened?

Re: cornell 3 - Quinnipiac - 2 in OT
Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.rbccm.com)
Date: January 09, 2011 12:09PM

I was at the game but left midway through the second because my son came down with the flu. The first period was truly awful, though we scored early on we couldn't control the puck very well (see the puck, receive the pass) and we had a lot of trouble simply breaking out of the zone though I admired that our d-men didn't panic and showed a lot of patience. We looked much better in the second period for the first 10 minutes while I was there though Q scored as I was leaving. My wife, who stayed with our other two boys, said that we continued to play better throughout the game other than the breakdown at the end that sent the game to OT. Sounds like an up and down effort but can't complain too much about a 4 point weekend.

How cool is college hockey?
- My son's peewee minor team was given a tour of Q's locker room, weight room, gear stock (drew lots of oohs and aahs), upstairs president's club (pretty nice meal spread) and the campus by assistant coach Bill Riga and the director of admissions. They did a first class job, very nice of them.
- Pat LaFontaine was in the crowd. He coaches his son's team (Long Island Royals) and their team also had a tour of the facility.
- The head ref was Jean-Yves Roy................is this the same Jean-Yves Roy from the University of Maine and who played a bit for the Bruins? He was a fantastic college player, I remember seeing a stacked Maine team play in the Garden before Cornell played an ECAC semifinal game back when the tournament used to be in Boston. One of the things I miss about the tournament format these days is you don't get to see the Hockey East games, you used to be able to stick around and watch other games.
- Q's arena is something to behold. I asked Bill Riga if they had any single large benefactors and he said no, it was privately funded by the school though there were a lot of individual donations. It's amazing to me that they can afford a $50+mm arena.

Posted by: redice (---.sub-75-194-161.myvzw.com)
Date: January 09, 2011 02:17PM

RatushnyFan
I remember seeing a stacked Maine team play in the Garden before Cornell played an ECAC semifinal game back when the tournament used to be in Boston. One of the things I miss about the tournament format these days is you don't get to see the Hockey East games, you used to be able to stick around and watch other games.

I miss that format, as well...There was some great hockey played in those HE games..Unfortunately, it reminded me that the ECAC had room to improve....

If CU fails to make the ECAC's in AC, I'm entertaining the idea of making a run to Boston for the HE tournament. We'll get to see higher caliber hockey and we LOVE Boston!!!

-Ned Harkness

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: January 09, 2011 05:36PM

The four point weekend keeps Schafer's streak alive of having at least 1 in every season as head coach.

Before tonight, the previous OT Cornell goal was scored by... Joe Devin.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: January 10, 2011 11:18AM

RatushnyFan
Q's arena is something to behold. I asked Bill Riga if they had any single large benefactors and he said no, it was privately funded by the school though there were a lot of individual donations. It's amazing to me that they can afford a $50+mm arena.
$53 million was for both the basketball and hockey arenas plus the common center area. The TD Banknote logo on the outside suggests there's at least one big benefactor. I love Lynah and the atmosphere ... and I'd rather have the Q rink in Ithaca. The heck with the atmosphere of Lynah; Q is a better place to watch hockey except for the most rabid of fans. And fans can be more of a factor at Lynahy. I think the Q arena lighting (lots of it, angled down from the sides) probably cost more than Lynah did to build. Q overall is doing a hard sell to outstanding academic performers and a lot of their merit-based aid goes to the people who'd qualify for the Ivies or Little Three. Get enough of them to come and over five years your average SATs start to creep up on the college rankings. Our older son got into Q last year and it was the one place that didn't offer a penny of aid. A neighbor's daughter, a heavy socializer, got in and attended, and exited after a year - the academic and drinking level was okay for her but not the pharmaceuticals. Most of the college guides say the No. 1 attraction of Quinnipiac is the country club-like atmosphere. It's the No. 1 turnoff, too.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: January 10, 2011 12:48PM

BigRedHockeyFan
Andy Iles played a great game.
I'm not entirely sure I agree. I hate to denigrate, but I think he was bailed out by Q shooting wide of a couple of open nets. Made some freshman mistakes, but then, he's a freshman, and he'll stop making them soon enough.

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.rbccm.com)
Date: January 10, 2011 01:16PM

There was clearly a missed open net early in the second period. I didn't see the whole game but thought he made a few solid saves in the first period to keep us in the game. I'm not a goalie coach, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posted by: polar (---.nwrk.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 10, 2011 01:55PM

ebilmes

No penalties called for us, but there were certainly some questionable moments. At least two hits that looked very much like boarding in the second period left uncalled. There was also a slash, exactly like the one called against Princeton the night before, that drew no penalty. Still encouraging that Cornell could score three at even-strength.

Not sure if anyone here would have an answer for this, but it seemed questionable to me. We were sitting right next to the glass in the Cornell attacking zone (what would be section A in Lynah), and had a pretty good view of a hit that drew a penalty against Cornell. It looked a little questionable, and the referee in the zone clearly warned Devin but was prepared not to call it. Despite this, the referee outside the zone, who clearly had a worse view than the one right next to the play, called a penalty. Do referees normally consider which official has the better view in making calls? Is it unusual for the official outside the zone to call a minor when the one inside is prepared to let it go, and both have a view of the play?

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: January 10, 2011 03:19PM

polar
ebilmes

No penalties called for us, but there were certainly some questionable moments. At least two hits that looked very much like boarding in the second period left uncalled. There was also a slash, exactly like the one called against Princeton the night before, that drew no penalty. Still encouraging that Cornell could score three at even-strength.
That slash was a terrible non-call - I guess probably influenced by the game situation, with Quinnipiac trailing by a goal and, what, three minutes or so left in the game?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login