Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Women's Season Stuff

Posted by Jim Hyla 
Page:  1 2Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Women's Season Stuff
Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: January 08, 2011 06:18PM

Since the individual game threads for women get just a few posts, I thought a generic thread might be useful.

They won again today 3-0 over Brown. Shots 39-15. Obviously they've got a great team, but unfortunately the ECAC competition is not up to snuff. The North Country teams have fallen down and we don't yet know what Harvard is really like. (I'm speaking of their women's hockey team, not trying to start a flame fest.) I just hope that doesn't hurt them in the end.

Is there a Women's Krach anywhere? Hint, hint if not.

Re: Women's Season Stuff
Posted by: nyc94 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: January 08, 2011 06:43PM

Jim Hyla

Krach and Pairwise

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.sub-174-252-35.myvzw.com)
Date: January 08, 2011 07:15PM

Women skated seven forwards and four defensemen today. Kind of like Ned's RPI team that won the NCAAs.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 08, 2011 09:19PM

nyc94
Jim Hyla

Krach and Pairwise
Thanks, hopefully it will stay like that, or better, till the NCAAs.

Posted by: Roy 82 (128.18.14.---)
Date: January 08, 2011 09:25PM

Jim Hyla

Sheesh, I know we are a bunch of hockey nerds here and but if you don't know where a woman's krach is then you are beyond hope. wank

Date: January 09, 2011 08:02AM

Roy 82
Jim Hyla

Sheesh, I know we are a bunch of hockey nerds here and but if you don't know where a woman's krach is then you are beyond hope. wank
True, but in my defense, I always go to CHN to see it and I couldn't find a women's there. However that was stupid of me since they don't report on the women and USCHO does.doh

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.c3-0.smr-ubr2.sbo-smr.ma.static.cable.rcn.com)
Date: January 09, 2011 09:03AM

Jim Hyla
Roy 82
Jim Hyla

True, but in my defense, I always go to CHN to see it and I couldn't find a women's there. However that was stupid of me since they don't report on the women and USCHO does.doh
Whoosh.

Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: January 09, 2011 03:08PM

Jim's an internist, Kyle. They don't go near that stuff.**]

Date: January 10, 2011 06:20PM

ECAC article on Big Red Quintet with MLP Gold. "We" scored 10 goals in 4 games. Nice that they're done and can come back to CU.

As an aside, I got the "joke". I just didn't think responding to a sexist joke when we were talking about the women's team was needed. Nuff said.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: January 10, 2011 08:54PM

Jim Hyla
ECAC article on Big Red Quintet with MLP Gold. "We" scored 10 goals in 4 games. Nice that they're done and can come back to CU.

As an aside, I got the "joke". I just didn't think responding to a sexist joke when we were talking about the women's team was needed. Nuff said.

The 5 Cornellians outscored Canada's opponents 10-zip. Yikes.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.deploy.akamaitechnologies.com)
Date: January 11, 2011 06:05PM

Jim Hyla
Uh-huh. So explain to me what about that joke was sexist. If you mean sexual, I'll enthusiastically support you.

Date: January 11, 2011 08:26PM

Kyle Rose
Jim Hyla
Uh-huh. So explain to me what about that joke was sexist. If you mean sexual, I'll enthusiastically support you.
So start the enthusiasm. Let's see it.

Date: January 12, 2011 10:22AM

Jim Hyla
Kyle Rose
Jim Hyla
I'm not going to play this game with you. You answer my question first, or concede the point. Though the lack of a response makes my point just as well.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: January 12, 2011 12:48PM

Kyle Rose
Jim Hyla

Ian Faith: They're not gonna release the album... because they have decided that the cover is sexist.
Nigel Tufnel: Well, so what? What's wrong with bein' sexy? I mean there's no...
Ian Faith: Sex-IST!
David St. Hubbins: IST!

Date: January 12, 2011 01:05PM

Kyle Rose
Jim Hyla
Kyle Rose
Jim Hyla
I'm not going to play this game with you. You answer my question first, or concede the point. Though the lack of a response makes my point just as well.
I didn't mean any game. What I meant by "So start the enthusiasm." was I agree with you, therefore start the enthusiasm. Nothing more than that.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: January 12, 2011 03:21PM

Will you two shake the sand out of your KRACHs and end this pissing match. drunk

Geez, you'd think it was the off-season. deadhorse

Date: January 12, 2011 04:36PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
Will you two shake the sand out of your KRACHs and end this pissing match. drunk

Sadly, it kind of feels that way...

Date: January 12, 2011 04:37PM

Jim Hyla
Kyle Rose
Jim Hyla
Kyle Rose
Jim Hyla
I didn't mean any game. What I meant by "So start the enthusiasm." was I agree with you, therefore start the enthusiasm. Nothing more than that.
In that case...

banana

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: January 13, 2011 08:19AM

Kyle Rose
Jeff Hopkins '82

Sadly, it kind of feels that way...
Hey! Not after last weekend. We're rollin! :)

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: January 13, 2011 08:40AM

Jeff Hopkins '82

And people wonder why so few women visit this warm and inviting site.

Posted by: Killer (---.fidelity.com)
Date: January 13, 2011 12:43PM

billhoward
Jeff Hopkins '82

Kyle, I can hear the gears whirring from here. Don't even think about it.

Posted by: Roy 82 (128.18.14.---)
Date: January 13, 2011 02:17PM

As the instigator, I feel bad if I have helped foster a hostile environment on this board (seriously). But it is simply that I cannot resist a bad pun. But Bill must accept some responsibility for failing to properly capitalize an acronym. :-D

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.deploy.akamaitechnologies.com)
Date: January 13, 2011 03:40PM

Killer
billhoward
Jeff Hopkins '82

Kyle, I can hear the gears whirring from here. Don't even think about it.

Did someone mention hot apple pie?

Posted by: Towerroad (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: January 13, 2011 03:45PM

In hopes of putting the previous thread out of its misery:

Over the last 11 games the Cornell Women have allowed 3 goals. Opponents are shooting a meager 0.039 and Amanda Mazzotta has a Sub 1 GAA. How great is this? I know there is a greater breadth of competition in Womens Hockey but are there comparable seasons that other teams have had?

Date: January 13, 2011 08:19PM

Towerroad

Over the last 11 games the Cornell Women have allowed 3 goals. Opponents are shooting a meager 0.039 and Amanda Mazzotta has a Sub 1 GAA. How great is this? I know there is a greater breadth of competition in Womens Hockey but are there comparable seasons that other teams have had?
Thank you.

Posted by: KenP (---.washdc.btas.verizon.net)
Date: January 14, 2011 07:37AM

Why can't the women's team schedule more / tougher out-of-conference games? Also, how sustainable is their success? Are we winning due to a few key players? Is this the beginning of a shift in power to the Ivies? (hah!) Unlike the wrestling team we can't claim to have built a custom arena for the team. Is the coach tapped into the pipeline for top echelon players?

Date: January 14, 2011 08:18AM

KenP
Why can't the women's team schedule more / tougher out-of-conference games?

$$$$$$$. The women's team doesn't bring in nearly the amount of income the mens team does, so I'd have to think the travel budget is far more limited.

OTOH, last year was the first winning season in a long time for the women. (ever?) You have to demonstrate a consistent ability before the big girls will treat you as anything but a cupcake (no sexism intended),

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: January 14, 2011 09:32AM

Towerroad

Good to see one of the three teams from last year's March Weekends of Glory having a good season again.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Date: January 14, 2011 09:36AM

For most of the decade, the Women were a mediocre to middling team. Even last year the first half of the season was so so. Something clicked about a year ago and the have been a serious force since then. (Anyone care to speculate?).

This years hockey schedule was probably largely set in stone before this team transformed itself and was reflective of the status quo. I would hope that next year we will see more competition with top 10 teams. Attendance seems to be improving and hopefully the travel budget will be available. A lot of the top teams are in the upper the upper mid west (Mn, ND, Wi). Just going by KRACH for this year, BU, BC, Northeastern, and Providence and of course Mercyhurst are a reasonable bus ride away.

Lets hope the team remains consistent and starts playing the other 5-8 elite schools in the regular season (and of course late in the post season)

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: January 14, 2011 09:38AM

Can't imagine Cornell ticket revenue being much different from any other women's hockey team, or women's sport, period, other than a couple elite basketball programs. Weren't there a bunch of empty seats at Minnesota last year for the title game, in a smallish rink?

Date: January 14, 2011 11:06AM

Attendance at the last few games (except Clarkson)looks like it is averaging about 400+. USCHO reported the Clarkson game at 2326. I watched some of the game on Redcast and noticed it looked like a lot more people than usual.

For better and worse, I think the attendance is better at home than away.

Posted by: Weder (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: January 14, 2011 12:26PM

This list of recruits for next season lists two more players in the Team Canada pipeline. One wonders if, at some point, Cornell will have to forfeit a game because 75% of the team is off at an international competition.

Also worth noting: One of the listed recruits has a decent acting career going.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 14, 2011 01:09PM

Weder
This is like finding out "Christina Applegate is coming to Cornell next year!" was true all along.

Posted by: amerks127 (---.inet6.dpw.com)
Date: January 14, 2011 03:05PM

ugarte
Weder
This is like finding out "Christina Applegate is coming to Cornell next year!" was true all along.

Elie wrote about this all the way back in May.

[bilmes.blogspot.com]

Posted by: Tom Lento (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: January 16, 2011 08:24PM

Towerroad
For most of the decade, the Women were a mediocre to middling team. Even last year the first half of the season was so so. Something clicked about a year ago and the have been a serious force since then. (Anyone care to speculate?).

This years hockey schedule was probably largely set in stone before this team transformed itself and was reflective of the status quo. I would hope that next year we will see more competition with top 10 teams. Attendance seems to be improving and hopefully the travel budget will be available. A lot of the top teams are in the upper the upper mid west (Mn, ND, Wi). Just going by KRACH for this year, BU, BC, Northeastern, and Providence and of course Mercyhurst are a reasonable bus ride away.

Lets hope the team remains consistent and starts playing the other 5-8 elite schools in the regular season (and of course late in the post season)

Cornell typically finished in the bottom 4 of the ECAC over the course of the last decade, but three years ago the team started the climb out of the cellar, qualifying for the ECAC playoffs in consecutive seasons prior to 2009-2010. I think three things happened that made last year so great for the women.

1) Cornell was building for success over the course of the past several seasons. Derraugh brought in several strong recruiting classes, and I think a reasonable expectation was for Cornell to challenge for home ice in the ECAC playoffs and a berth in the ECAC final 4 in 2010, followed by a shot at an NCAA and possible Frozen Four berth in 2011. That's the way the talent and team performance was headed.

2) Cornell's freshmen and sophomores turned in remarkable early-career performances in 2009-2010, particularly in the second half of the season. I suspect several early-season games where key players were not available helped accelerate the development of players who ordinarily wouldn't be asked to carry so much of the load. This helped propel Cornell to an ECAC title and a strong run in the NCAAs a full year ahead of schedule.

3) Women's hockey as a whole was in a temporary down cycle, as many of the top teams were missing players due to national team commitments. While this also affected Cornell and probably had little to no impact on the Big Red's regular season record, it might have made the path to the NCAA finals a little bit easier. I don't know if this affected the final outcome, but it couldn't have hurt for a team that had never experienced an ECAC final four, much less a Frozen Four.

I agree that the schedule is probably what it is for a combination of historical and financial reasons, and it would be great to see some of those top teams during the regular season.

To answer KenP's question - the team's level of success looks to be sustainable, although of course there's no way to know for sure since the bulk of the production is coming from the juniors and seniors. They're not a 1-line team, and the depth of talent has increased rapidly over the past several years, so as long as the recruiting classes continue to be strong I would expect a sustained run of success. As for shifting the balance of power, the Ivies - specifically Harvard and Dartmouth - were national powers for the better part of the last 10-15 years. The rise of BU and BC is recent - those programs are both less than 10 years old - and Northeastern and Providence were former powers until their recent resurgence. On the whole I think the best teams over the last 10+ years have been UMD, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Harvard, Dartmouth, SLU and North Dakota. The balance of power is shifting away from the ECAC a bit with Harvard and Dartmouth struggling more than expected and SLU falling off from their earlier success, but Cornell's rise is keeping the ECAC/Ivy League near the top of the sport.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 18, 2011 08:42PM

Cornell just took a 2-0 lead at Mercyhurst with 8:52 left in the 3rd.

Posted by: Chris '03 (38.104.240.---)
Date: January 18, 2011 08:43PM

Rematch with Mercyhurst tonight:
2-0 Red mid-3rd. (Karlee Overguard scored 11 minutes into both the 2nd and 3rd)

B2 feed was canceled. live stat: [www.sidearmstats.com]

Posted by: Chris '03 (38.104.240.---)
Date: January 18, 2011 08:53PM

Now 3-0 with about 5 to play.

Posted by: Larry72 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 18, 2011 08:55PM

Final 3-0!!! Great job!

Posted by: imafrshmn (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 18, 2011 09:10PM

Biggest win on the season for the Red! Also, in my estimation, this game offers solid evidence that freshman goaltender Lauren Slebodnick could be a future star. With Amanda Mazzotta still out healing her hurt foot, to have this kind of depth at the goalie position was huge. Congrats ladies.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 18, 2011 09:25PM

Looks like only three lines skated. Freshmen Xandra Hompe and Olivia Cook apparently did not play.

Posted by: mattj711 (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: January 18, 2011 10:04PM

Wish Mercyhurst's video feed for the game would have been working...at least Cornell had audio.

Date: January 19, 2011 07:43AM

Al DeFlorio
Looks like only three lines skated. Freshmen Xandra Hompe and Olivia Cook apparently did not play.

Xandra Hompe? Does anyone else besides me think that sounds like a porn-star name? twitch

Date: January 19, 2011 08:11AM

Jeff Hopkins '82
Al DeFlorio

Xandra Hompe? Does anyone else besides me think that sounds like a porn-star name? twitch
Do we really have to do this all over again?

Posted by: Towerroad (---.static.twtelecom.net)
Date: January 19, 2011 08:37AM

Jim Hyla
Jeff Hopkins '82
Al DeFlorio

You are an Ivy League grad for goodness sake talking about one of your fellow Cornellians. Show some class.

Date: January 19, 2011 08:56AM

Towerroad
Jim Hyla
Jeff Hopkins '82
Al DeFlorio

You are an Ivy League grad for goodness sake talking about one of your fellow Cornellians. Show some class.

Uhn-tsss! Uhn-tsss! Uhn-tsss! Uhn-tsss!

Date: January 19, 2011 12:33PM

Kyle Rose
Towerroad
Jim Hyla
Jeff Hopkins '82
Al DeFlorio

I would have made the same joke had it been a guy on the men's team named Willie Hompe. Or Peter Hompe. Or Richard Hompe.

Lighten up people. Good God. moon

Posted by: Towerroad (---.sub-70-199-97.myvzw.com)
Date: January 19, 2011 01:24PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
Kyle Rose
Towerroad
Jim Hyla
Jeff Hopkins '82
Al DeFlorio

I would have made the same joke had it been a guy on the men's team named Willie Hompe. Or Peter Hompe. Or Richard Hompe.

I did not say your comment was sexist, I said it was juvenile.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: January 19, 2011 01:50PM

Towerroad
Jeff Hopkins '82
Kyle Rose
Towerroad
Jim Hyla
Jeff Hopkins '82
Al DeFlorio

Clitsome Swallows Johnson. Seminoff.
burnout

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Date: January 19, 2011 05:20PM

I'll get on my soapbox again. I just wish we could look at how this would seem if it was your hockey playing daughter applying to Cornell. You knew it was a great school in hockey and academics, and that their fans were great. So you go online to see what they say, and repeatedly jokes about sex come up. Well if it was my daughter, I'd think a lot less about the fans than I did before.

Maybe I'm sensitive because I do have a daughter, not a skating one, but it just doesn't seem that we need to bring sex into every conversation about the women's team.

So I said my piece, go after it if you wish.

Date: January 20, 2011 07:48AM

Towerroad
Jeff Hopkins '82
Kyle Rose
Towerroad
Jim Hyla
Jeff Hopkins '82
Al DeFlorio

OK, I'm good with that.

But in a season like this, I'll take my humor anywhere I can get it.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: January 21, 2011 07:23PM

Jim Hyla
I'll get on my soapbox again. I just wish we could look at how this would seem if it was your hockey playing daughter applying to Cornell. You knew it was a great school in hockey and academics, and that their fans were great. So you go online to see what they say, and repeatedly jokes about sex come up. Well if it was my daughter, I'd think a lot less about the fans than I did before.

Maybe I'm sensitive because I do have a daughter, not a skating one, but it just doesn't seem that we need to bring sex into every conversation about the women's team.

So I said my piece, go after it if you wish.
I would guess that if your last name was "Hompe" or anything else along those lines, your daughter would have heard all those jokes by the time she was 10 and gotten completely inured to them by the time she was 15. (And the same thing would've happened to you in your youth.) This came up when we were at Princeton a couple of weeks ago and trying up with ways to taunt their goalie named Bonar (pronounced like "Bonner", but it's obvious how we were saying it). If you're trying to heckle a goalie like that, just yelling "Boner" over and over isn't funny, because everyone else does the same thing, and it isn't going to get into his head, because he's heard it all before. I think it's likely that Ms. Hompe has heard it all before too, and is far past the point of being offended by it. (Especially bearing in mind that hockey players are like 15 times tougher than normal people - and this is perhaps even more true for female hockey players, many of whom played on teams with boys when they were younger and had to deal with extra abuse on that basis.)

Now, juvenile? Absolutely. But when has this forum not been juvenile?

jtwcornell91
Clitsome Swallows Johnson. Seminoff.
burnout

Exactly. :-D

Date: January 21, 2011 07:58PM

Al DeFlorio
Livestats shows Cook and Hompe on the 4th line tonight.

Posted by: dag14 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 21, 2011 09:34PM

Women's final: Cornell 6 Colgate 1. A little of everything -- ppg, shg, perfect on the pk; balanced scoring; breakaway goal -- unfortunately scored by Colgate.

Date: January 22, 2011 06:04PM

four point weekend: Cornell 5, Colgate 0

Date: January 28, 2011 11:45AM

Great article, including a nice video, on the Overguard twins, in The Syracuse Post-Standard. Now I just wish they had better coverage of the games.

Date: January 28, 2011 12:37PM

Jim Hyla
Great article, including a nice video, on the Overguard twins, in The Syracuse Post-Standard. Now I just wish they had better coverage of the games.

Great Article. Makes you feel good about the next generation of Cornellians. For all you guys thinking about making sex jokes when talking about the women's team better hope they don't meet these women in a dark alley.

Posted by: Ronald '09 (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 29, 2011 06:05PM

They just beat RPI 6-0. 14-0 combined score this weekend against Union and RPI. 5 shutouts in 7 starts now for Lauren Slebodnick. Is is safe to call them a "dream crushing, soul-devouring juggernaut?"

Date: January 29, 2011 06:35PM

Ronald '09
They just beat RPI 6-0. 14-0 combined score this weekend against Union and RPI. 5 shutouts in 7 starts now for Lauren Slebodnick. Is is safe to call them a "dream crushing, soul-devouring juggernaut?"
Weren't we 0-1 with that motto?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2011 06:35PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: nyc94 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: January 29, 2011 07:11PM

Trotsky
Ronald '09
Weren't we 0-1 with that motto?

The quote was made before the ECAC semifinals. We're 2-1 with the quote. We're 0-1 with the t-shirts.

Posted by: Weder (144.142.12.---)
Date: January 29, 2011 11:51PM

Going off the notes that the athletics department released before the weekend, CU (22-1) now has its most wins in a season in program history, and its 18-game winning streak is three wins shy of the longest in NCAA history (held by Harvard).

Date: January 30, 2011 12:15AM

Weder
Going off the notes that the athletics department released before the weekend, CU (22-1) now has its most wins in a season in program history, and its 18-game winning streak is three wins shy of the longest in NCAA history (held by Harvard).
Over that 18 games Cornell has outscored its opponents 82-7.

Date: January 30, 2011 02:15AM

Trotsky
Weder
Over that 18 games Cornell has outscored its opponents 82-7.
Not that I expect to look it up, but imagine the shots during that streak. I just hope the relative weak ECAC year doesn't hurt them in the post-season. We still have to play at Clk, Dmth, and Hvd, so maybe some difficulties coming up.

Date: January 30, 2011 09:01AM

It is a pleasure to review the uscho women's stats page: No Cornell player leads in the individual statistics because our scoring is so balanced, but the only team stat that does not show Cornell as #1 is team scoring. We are third behind Wisconsin and Mercyhurst.

We have the #1 pp and pk; our team has given up an unbelieveable .7 goals a game on average and two of our goaltenders are #1 and #2 in saves percentage and combined have the most shutouts in women's hockey.

The statistic that is most telling of all to me: we are the least penalized team in all of women's hockey. As hard as those women play, they still play the game with tremendous discipline.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: January 30, 2011 08:48PM

Weder

Too bad about that one loss. Wouldn't it be a trip to be the only school in the NCAA with undefeated seasons for both men and women's hockey? Might even make the Times. Oh well, there's always next year.

Date: January 31, 2011 12:39AM

Another stat of note: Doug Derraugh is within two wins of being .500 at Cornell. He went 37-72-9 in his first four seasons; he's 43-10-6 since the start of last season for a total of 80-82-15.

Date: January 31, 2011 06:51AM

Swampy
Weder

Too bad about that one loss. Wouldn't it be a trip to be the only school in the NCAA with undefeated seasons for both men and women's hockey? Might even make the Times. Oh well, there's always next year.
They would report the women's goalie as Dryden.

Date: January 31, 2011 08:17AM

Trotsky
Swampy
Weder

They would report the women's goalie as Dryden.

C'mon. Everyone knows it's Brianne Cropper.:-D

Posted by: ursusminor (---.res.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 31, 2011 12:28PM

Jim Hyla

Looking at the pictures of the Overguard twins, I wonder if there was a switch at birth between them and George W. Bush's daughters. rolleyes

Posted by: pfibiger (---.186.101.97.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: February 11, 2011 10:15AM

According to this tweet: It looks like Cornell has a commitment from Jess Brown a forward who played at Shattuck St. Mary's and now is playing for Pittsburgh Elite U19 alongside Katelyn Pippy: [mwehl.stats.pointstreak.com] She currently leads the team in goals and points.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2011 10:18AM by pfibiger.

Posted by: Hot and Dangerous (---.kbw.com)
Date: February 11, 2011 12:17PM

Looks like, as a junior, Brown was tied for third in scoring at SSM last season, with Alyssa Gagliardi '14 and one other girl. Why didn't she return to SSM for her senior year?

Date: February 12, 2011 04:14PM

Yale gets a quick 1-0 lead early in the first.

Edit: Cornell ties it on a late period power play goal.

Edit: Cornell leads 5-1 late second period.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2011 05:05PM by Al DeFlorio.

Date: February 19, 2011 11:33PM

Women's Playoff set. We get RPI.
QUARTERFINALS (Friday-Sunday, February 25-27 - Best-of-three games)
No. 8 Rensselaer at No. 1 Cornell (7 p.m. Friday; 4 p.m. Saturday; and 4 p.m. Sunday [if necessary])

No. 7 St. Lawrence at No. 2 Harvard

No. 6 Clarkson at No. 3 Dartmouth (3:30 p.m. Friday; 2 p.m. Saturday; and 2 p.m. Sunday [if necessary])

No. 5 Quinnipiac at No. 4 Princeton

SEMIFINALS (Thursday, March 3)
On campuses of two highest remaining seeds

CHAMPIONSHIP (Saturday, March 5, 3 p.m.)
On campus of the highest remaining seed

Date: February 24, 2011 07:27PM

ECAC announces Rookie-of-the-Year candidates. Jenner is one of three.
Also announced are the Student-Athlete-of-the-Year. We don't have anyone. But a nice note on the Harvard student.

Chute has received either an A or A- in every class but one while at Harvard and that was a B+.
So how did she get the B?screwyorstupid

Date: February 25, 2011 07:56AM

And Overguard is a finalist for Best-Defensive-Forward.
Six are All-Ivy including Fortino and Jenner as Player and Rookie of the Year.
Tonight it starts.

Posted by: Hot and Dangerous (---.kbw.com)
Date: February 25, 2011 10:24AM

While I have met Ms Chute, who is both engaging and intelligent and all-around well deserving of the nomination, it is worth noting that almost 2/3 of all grades given at Harvard are As. That is certainly not the case at Cornell or Princeton.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2011 10:29AM by Hot and Dangerous.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: February 25, 2011 10:50AM

Hot and Dangerous
While I have met Ms Chute, who is both engaging and intelligent and all-around well deserving of the nomination, it is worth noting that almost 2/3 of all grades given at Harvard are As. That is certainly not the case at Cornell or Princeton.

Obviously this is because Harvard students are so much smarter than the rest. But then again, there may be another view. For example, when Yale hired away an economics professor from Princeton, the Princeton faculty agreed this was a win-win (Pareto optimum is the technical term) because it raised the average IQ's of both departments.

I wonder what the source is for the greater respect Cornellians seem to have for Princeton. ("But send my son to Princeton, or better still Cornell." ) Then again, it's easy to determine the source of the disdain we have for Harvard and Syracuse. ("Don't send my boy to Harvard, the dying mother said. Don't send my boy to Syracussssssse, I'd rather see him dead." ) In the case of Harvard, the disdain comes from the natural superiority of knowing Cornellians take classes that people actually fail even though they try or that "C" actually means "fair" relative to the rest of the class, as the college catalogs claim. In the case of Syracuse, it's probably because Ezra Cornell was mugged twice in that city.twak

Posted by: RichH (167.225.107.---)
Date: February 25, 2011 11:38AM

Swampy
I wonder what the source is for the greater respect Cornellians seem to have for Princeton. ("But send my son to Princeton, or better still Cornell." ) Then again, it's easy to determine the source of the disdain we have for Harvard and Syracuse. ("Don't send my boy to Harvard, the dying mother said. Don't send my boy to Syracussssssse, I'd rather see him dead." )

I learned that verse differently in the 1990s:

Don't send my boy to Haaaahhh-vahhhhd, 
The dying mother said.
Don't send my boy to Yale or Browwwwwwn,
I'd rather see him dead, dead, DEAD!
Don't send my boy to Prrrrrinceton,
It's got to be Cornell.
And as for Penn-syl-vain-eye-ayyyyy... etc.

Date: February 25, 2011 01:33PM

Swampy
Hot and Dangerous

Obviously this is because Harvard students are so much smarter than the rest. But then again, there may be another view. For example, when Yale hired away an economics professor from Princeton, the Princeton faculty agreed this was a win-win (Pareto optimum is the technical term) because it raised the average IQ's of both departments.

I wonder what the source is for the greater respect Cornellians seem to have for Princeton. ("But send my son to Princeton, or better still Cornell." ) Then again, it's easy to determine the source of the disdain we have for Harvard and Syracuse. ("Don't send my boy to Harvard, the dying mother said. Don't send my boy to Syracussssssse, I'd rather see him dead." ) In the case of Harvard, the disdain comes from the natural superiority of knowing Cornellians take classes that people actually fail even though they try or that "C" actually means "fair" relative to the rest of the class, as the college catalogs claim. In the case of Syracuse, it's probably because Ezra Cornell was mugged twice in that city.twak

Let no one say we do not know how to hold a grudge.

Date: February 25, 2011 01:44PM

RichH
Swampy
I wonder what the source is for the greater respect Cornellians seem to have for Princeton. ("But send my son to Princeton, or better still Cornell." ) Then again, it's easy to determine the source of the disdain we have for Harvard and Syracuse. ("Don't send my boy to Harvard, the dying mother said. Don't send my boy to Syracussssssse, I'd rather see him dead." )

I learned that verse differently in the 1990s:

Don't send my boy to Haaaahhh-vahhhhd, 
The dying mother said.
Don't send my boy to Yale or Browwwwwwn,
I'd rather see him dead, dead, DEAD!
Don't send my boy to Prrrrrinceton,
It's got to be Cornell.
And as for Penn-syl-vain-eye-ayyyyy... etc.
Sometimes I forget that those aren't the original lyrics. (See also: ten thousand men of Harvard.)

Re: 2/23 ECAC playoff game on RedCast 7 pm
Posted by: Rita (129.171.150.---)
Date: February 25, 2011 02:02PM

Just a reminder...

"The Big Red and Engineers will meet in a best-of-three series this weekend, with Friday's contest starting at 7 p.m. and Saturday's game two and a decisive game three if necessary on Sunday beginning at 4 p.m. Live video of each game will be available through the Cornell Redcast system.."

Unlike the men's playoffs, the ECAC isn't charging extra money for the women's first round playoffs. :-)

Posted by: mattj711 (---.jentner.com)
Date: February 25, 2011 03:32PM

Derraugh named ECAC Coach of the Year...

[www.ecachockey.com]

Posted by: phillysportsfan (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: February 25, 2011 09:03PM

Rita
Just a reminder...

"The Big Red and Engineers will meet in a best-of-three series this weekend, with Friday's contest starting at 7 p.m. and Saturday's game two and a decisive game three if necessary on Sunday beginning at 4 p.m. Live video of each game will be available through the Cornell Redcast system.."

Unlike the men's playoffs, the ECAC isn't charging extra money for the women's first round playoffs. :-)

are you sure, redcast keeps telling me I dont have an active subscription, was never able to get the feed

never mind you meant extra money
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2011 09:04PM by phillysportsfan.

Posted by: Towerroad (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 25, 2011 09:17PM

Redcast seems dead in OT any update on the score?

Posted by: mattj711 (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: February 25, 2011 09:24PM

Yes, talk about annoying. Cornell wins 3-2 about 1 minute 30 seconds into OT.

Posted by: ithacat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 25, 2011 09:24PM

Via Livestats: Cornell wins in OT 3-2.

Too slow on the draw I am.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2011 09:25PM by ithacat.

Date: February 26, 2011 04:32PM

W up 1-0 end of first. Nice shot of scoreboard, must be troubles with it? It keeps fading in and out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2011 04:34PM by Jim Hyla.

Posted by: imafrshmn (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 26, 2011 04:38PM

Jim Hyla
W up 1-0 end of first. Nice shot of scoreboard, must be troubles with it? It keeps fading in and out.

I think that's just the result of the flickering of the scoreboard lights occuring at a similar rate as the camera framerate and coming in and out of phase.

Date: February 26, 2011 05:15PM

imafrshmn
Jim Hyla

I think that's just the result of the flickering of the scoreboard lights occuring at a similar rate as the camera framerate and coming in and out of phase.
Could be, but it's very slow and only the score, time and SOG. Maybe those are wired differently.

Anyway, after 2, 3-1 us and SOG 28-6.

Date: February 26, 2011 06:27PM

We win 6-1 and Rougeau wins Best-Defensive-Defenseman.

Date: February 27, 2011 12:09PM

Overguard shares ECAC Best-Defensive-Forward.
Fortino and Johnston are Finalists for ECAC Player-of-the-Year.

Date: February 28, 2011 07:49AM

Semifinal Thursday against Quinnipiac, and if they win, Finals on Sat. 3 PM, televised on NHL Network.

Date: February 28, 2011 07:41PM

Jim Hyla
Semifinal Thursday against Quinnipiac, and if they win, Finals on Sat. 3 PM, televised on NHL Network.
Past results are no guarantee of future performance, of course, but the women won 5-1 at Quinnipiac in October and 4-0 at Lynah in November. (I wonder why the scheduling worked out such that both Princeton/Quinnipiac weekends were way at the beginning of the season like that, the 1st and 4th weekends of the league calendar.) Quinnipiac, however, are riding a hot goalie in GOTY finalist Victoria Vigilanti (that's a great superhero alter ego name), who stopped 38 of 39 shots in Quinnipiac's road sweep at Princeton last weekend, and a hot goalie can take a team a long way in the playoffs.

Date: March 01, 2011 10:13PM

ECAC announces All-League and Rookie Teams. We've got 8 represented, 4 first teamers.

Date: March 01, 2011 10:27PM

Josh '99
Jim Hyla
Past results are no guarantee of future performance, of course, but the women won 5-1 at Quinnipiac in October and 4-0 at Lynah in November. (I wonder why the scheduling worked out such that both Princeton/Quinnipiac weekends were way at the beginning of the season like that, the 1st and 4th weekends of the league calendar.) Quinnipiac, however, are riding a hot goalie in GOTY finalist Victoria Vigilanti (that's a great superhero alter ego name), who stopped 38 of 39 shots in Quinnipiac's road sweep at Princeton last weekend, and a hot goalie can take a team a long way in the playoffs.
For sure past doesn't predict the future, especially when, as you mentioned, the games are so long ago. I think we may have gotten the toughest draw. Obviously no one has the record that we do, but Quinnipiac has really been coming on. They are playing much better at the end of the season. They have some losses late, but by single goal games, to some tough competition. They have really been recruiting well the last few years, and it's been noted with two successive Rookie-of-the-Years.

Now, I don't think they are yet better than Harvard, but I'm afraid the team, having beaten them relatively easily, will play like they did in the early periods of the first RPI game. If they were to play Harvard or Dartmouth, they might be more focused. Here's hoping they start like the second RPI game, not the first.

I don't think I can make Thursday, but, if they win, probably Sat. I hope there is a lot of crowd support, they deserve it.

Date: March 02, 2011 07:08PM

So, I guess to prove my point about Q, the ECAC announces Babstock as Player-of-the-Year. She already got ROTY.

Date: March 03, 2011 07:04PM

Amanda Mazzotta in goal for CU. Jason Weinstein doing play-by-play on RedCast.

Date: March 03, 2011 09:00PM

We win 4-3 & we play Dartmouth Sat.

Date: March 04, 2011 07:44AM

Johnston and Fortino named finalists for Patty Kazmaier Award. A tough game last night, from what I saw on Redcast. It was nice to hear some familiar voices doing play-by-play and color. A good crowd of over 1500 reported. Saturdays game at 3 is on NHL Network, but I hope to be there, and to see many of you. When was the last time you were able to see an ECAC Final on home ice :-), and still be home in time to cath the ECAC Preliminary Rounds on the web?:-D

These two games are probably the best Cornell could have hoped for going into the NCAAs. Quinnipiac could be the second best ECAC team right now, and Dartmouth beat us in Hanover. We shouldn't be thinking ahead.

Posted by: MattS (167.206.169.---)
Date: March 04, 2011 10:40AM

I don't think the game was quite as close as the score indicated. There was long stretches where CU dominated the game to the point where it looked like a CU PP even though it was even strength play. Also there were two times where the puck was sitting in the open crease. Once a Quinnipiac defenseman was able to sweep it away before Cornell could get to it. And the second time no Cornell player could get a good shot off. Add in a shot off the post where hit the crossbar too, and it could have easily been a 7-3 game.

It was great to see a good crowd there.

Page:  1 2Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login