Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Archival Footage

Posted by CKinsland 
Archival Footage
Posted by: CKinsland (---.chem.cornell.edu)
Date: December 21, 2010 08:56AM

The CU Holiday e-card has some brief archival footage of hockey on Beebe Lake (I assume) and a portrait of some long-ago hockey squad.

[www.cornell.edu]

CK

Re: Archival Footage
Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: December 21, 2010 09:13AM

CKinsland
The CU Holiday e-card has some brief archival footage of hockey on Beebe Lake (I assume) and a portrait of some long-ago hockey squad.

[www.cornell.edu]

CK
Was hockey entirely non-contact back in the day? The "boards" shown in that clip were about ankle-high, enough to stop a puck sliding along the ice but not enough to do more than trip a skater, and the spectators appeared to be right other side seemingly in harm's way. (For that matter, was there such a thing as lifting the puck? I don't know a whole lot about the sport's extremely early days, I guess.)

Posted by: jaywbigred (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 21, 2010 11:50AM

Good footage, interesting questions about the boards. I know that hockey stick blades weren't curved until the late 50s or early 60s. That doesn't mean "lifting" the puck didn't occur, but obviously it became easier to do so with the advent of curved blades.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: December 21, 2010 12:45PM

CKinsland

[www.cornell.edu]

CK
Awesome card! Only 8 more days and our longish annual winter hockeyless nightmare is over cheer

Date: December 21, 2010 12:51PM

Josh '99
CKinsland

[www.cornell.edu]

CK
Was hockey entirely non-contact back in the day? The "boards" shown in that clip were about ankle-high, enough to stop a puck sliding along the ice but not enough to do more than trip a skater, and the spectators appeared to be right other side seemingly in harm's way. (For that matter, was there such a thing as lifting the puck? I don't know a whole lot about the sport's extremely early days, I guess.)
Some interesting info from a brief historical profile:

By 1898 the rules had further standardized. Ice hockey by this time was a seven man game: the goalie, three forwards, a rover (who switched from defense to offense, as the play required), and the point and cover point (the defense included the cover point in front of the point, rather than side by side as they are today). The so-called "Quebec" version of onside play (no forward passing) was now universal. All players were now allowed to lift the puck when taking shots. And goaltenders were not allowed to drop to the ice when making saves and could, in fact, be penalized if they did so.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: December 22, 2010 07:48AM

jaywbigred
Good footage, interesting questions about the boards. I know that hockey stick blades weren't curved until the late 50s or early 60s. That doesn't mean "lifting" the puck didn't occur, but obviously it became easier to do so with the advent of curved blades.

According to Wikipedia, Andy Bathgate of the Rangers started doing it in the late '50, but it didn't really take off until Stan Mikita and Bobby Hull started doing it in the early '60s. After that, everybody started curving their sticks.

Posted by: Bahnstorm (---.library.cornell.edu)
Date: December 22, 2010 10:49AM

Blatant plug here from someone who worked on the card, the footage is just the very tip of the iceberg in terms of the over a thousand (mostly football) athletic films held by the University Archives. Anyone interested/knowledgeable in digitization of old films who was looking for a project, the archives would welcome a chat, http://rmc.library.cornell.edu . Its a financial and staffing time constraint issue as to why more aren't digitized or available online.

Date: December 22, 2010 11:04AM

Bahnstorm
Blatant plug here from someone who worked on the card
Very good job on the card, BTW. Thanks.

Posted by: Bahnstorm (---.library.cornell.edu)
Date: December 22, 2010 11:57AM

Thanks I really like this year's too. Design and concept were Communications, Archives found and digitized the footage/images.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login