Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Post-Harvard musing I: Giving $ to Cornell Hockey

Posted by CU at Stanford 
Post-Harvard musing I: Giving $ to Cornell Hockey
Posted by: CU at Stanford (---)
Date: February 17, 2003 05:53PM

Dear Fellow Lynah (and Lynah East) Faithful,
First of all, I am awed by the major snow storm that started yesterday down in the mid-Atlantic region. Boy, am I glad that we made it out of Providence/Cambridge all right! I am sorry to report that it is mild and sunny here in the Bay Area. :-D
A while back I wrote about what I thought folks should do in support of our beloved hockey team. Some of you have withheld your giving to Cornell Athletics as a way to "protest" the fee-based online broadcast policy instituted this past fall. However, I think most, if not all, of us would agree that we want to support Coach Schafer and the team. My wife and I have tried to attend as many Harvard-Cornell games as possible, since we moved to CA. (Proud to say that we have gone to both RS games this year.) I also make a donation (somewhat based on the number of goals Cornell scores) to the team each time they play Harvard. I simply want to encourage you to consider doing the same, by earmarking your donation (which is tax-deductible) for "Cornell Men's Ice Hockey Team." You can choose to disagree with Andy Noel, but there is no reason not to support the hockey team in the process. Your charitable gifts will help Coach Schafer and his staff run one of the best Div-I hockey programs in the country.
PS: If you pay for your donation with a credit card, you may even earn airline miles at the same time. It is a win-win situation!

Re: Post-Harvard musing I: Giving $ to Cornell Hockey
Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---)
Date: February 18, 2003 07:29AM

Here's an idea: How about telling Athletics we'll stop withholding our donations from the team and the University if they bring back the HockeyCam for the last home weekend of the season. There is no good reason we haven't at least been able to see every home game since the end of Novbember (although their unwise decision about the radio broadcasts means we would have been prevented from having synced audio). :-(

Posted by: kaelistus (---)
Date: February 18, 2003 10:36AM

Jesh... are we going through this again? Those of us who decided to withhold our donations aren't going to change our minds now.

Personally, I prefer a mediocre team that I can watch than a NCAA contender that I can only keep track of by checking box scores.

Posted by: CUlater (---)
Date: February 18, 2003 10:54AM

[Q] Personally, I prefer a mediocre team that I can watch than a NCAA contender that I can only keep track of by checking box scores.[/Q]

Really?! Wow. I have to hope that you're in the minority on that one. Some of us have actually lived through that situation, several times, and it's actually not that much fun.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---)
Date: February 18, 2003 11:01AM

I think the key point is there was no good reason for us not to have both this year.

Date: February 18, 2003 11:33AM

(1) My point was that we can/should support Coach Schafer and the team (whether one has a beef with the Athletic Dept). Look, I don't like the fee-based broadcast anymore than those on this forum, but that should not get in the way of my loyalty and support for the hockey team.
(2) I take a national contender any day. I, too, have lived through those mediocre days, including 0-4 at the Boston Garden where ECAC tournaments were held (and those were the decent years in the early 90s). It is so much more fun (esp. from the West Coast, at a jock school like Stanford :-D ) to follow the No. 2 collegiate hockey team. (Note: Stanford does not have varsity ice hockey; it does have a club team.)

Date: February 18, 2003 12:16PM

[Q] including 0-4 at the Boston Garden[/Q]

Did you miss the 2OT win vs. Clarkson in 1992, where, IIRC, Tyler McManus netted the winning goal and Parris Duffus kept us in the game throughout?

(Point Of Interest To No One But Me: that was the only college hockey game in which I caught a puck that went into the stands, coming off a Duffus save during the first OT, whereupon dozens of little kids kept coming up to me to ask if they could have the puck)

Posted by: Keith K (---)
Date: February 18, 2003 01:09PM

We've beaten this horse to death. Felix is right - folks here have largely made up their minds on this issue.

I can definitely say that I enjoyed last season more than this one. Yes, it's great to have the #2 team in the nation. I hope the hockey gods don't find any complaints in this. But last year I was able to listen to all of the games broadcast by the Cornell announcers and was able to watch the home games from 2500 miles away. This year I have to look for opposing team's broadcasts with their POV and can check out Age's pictures later. It's not the same.

If a genie offered the choice of free broadcasts with video forever but Cornell perrenially in the middle of the ECAC pack or a national contender that I would follow only through the boxscores, I honestly don't know what I'd choose. But the point is we shouldn't have to choose.

My first year with season tickets was 93-94, one of the "greenest" seasons in the last fourty years. I still had a blast going to games and was completely hooked, even though the team was awful. Being able to "participate" means a lot.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---)
Date: February 18, 2003 02:12PM

KeithK '93 wrote:

But the point is we shouldn't have to choose.
Exactly right.

We also shouldn't have to be preached to regarding how to spend our money.

Date: February 18, 2003 02:17PM

[Q]We also shouldn't have to be preached to regarding how to spend our money.[/Q]

Just because you're in the church, it doesn't mean you have to listen to the preacher. :-D

Posted by: ugarte (63.94.240.---)
Date: February 18, 2003 02:28PM

Please let this thread die. Not only are we repeating all of the old arguments (without getting any converts to either side), we are dredging up the same tit for tat eye-poking that this topic caused the first time.

Re: 2OT win vs. Clarkson
Date: February 18, 2003 02:48PM

Yup, missed that game. That was the year in which we were undecided about going to the Garden. So we watched the semifinal on TV in Ithaca, then piled into a friend's Nissan Sentra on Saturday to make the drive to Boston.

I do agree with Keith that it is NOT the same this year when those of us who are three time zones behind cannot listen to the good guy's broadcast (for free, that is). The consolation for me personally is that I made the trips to Ithaca and New England, taking in four games. I will get to watch a fifth game in a couple of weeks, as the Cornell Club in Northern CA is hosting a viewing party on March 1. (Keith, you coming??)

Re: 2OT win vs. Clarkson
Posted by: ugarte (63.94.240.---)
Date: February 18, 2003 06:54PM

I went the year before, when we lost to SLU in the semis. And the year before that when we lost to RPI in the semis. I decided not to go in '92 (and head to Cali for spring break) because we didn't have much of a chance . . .

Still a major regret that I missed the 2OT Clarkson semi and the OT SLU final (even though we lost).

March 1 viewing in NoCal
Posted by: KeithK (---)
Date: February 18, 2003 09:47PM

I'm hoping to be there, but it depends on whether I can back in time from a conference I'm attending in SoCal.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login