Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Ivy Title & Cleary Cup

Posted by curoadkill 
Ivy Title & Cleary Cup
Posted by: curoadkill (---)
Date: February 17, 2003 02:45PM

For what it's worth, Cornell could wrap up the Ivy title this weekend. Only Dartmoth and Brown can catch us at this point. Harvard plays Dartmouth in Hanover Friday. A Crimson win puts the Green out of Ivy contention. Should the Green then defeat Brown on Saturday, they would knock Brown out of it too giving us the outright title Saturday night.

However, a Harvard loss to Dartmouth on Friday night coupled with a Cornell win over RPI, and a Clarkson win or tie vs Yale, means Cornell controls its own destiny for the Cleary Cup and could wrap it up on home ice Saturday vs. Union. In that scenario any Ivy coronation would hinge on one point out of the princeton/yale trip.

So if my crazed over-analysis is accurate:
-Harvard d. Dartmouth and Dartmouth d. Brown--> Cornell wins the Ivy Title outright
-A Dartmouth sweep of H and B means we need one point from P/Y for a share, two for an outright Ivy title.
- Harvard loses to either DC or UVM and Yale fails to get 4 sweep in the North Country, four points for the Red clinches the Cleary Cup.
-SO, If HU beats DC, then UVM beats HU and Brown beats DC, AND Yale does not sweep up North, THEN Cornell takes both the Cleary Cup and outright Ivy title at home on Saturday with a sweep of RPI/Union....

Of course neither of these two accomplishments mean a heck of a lot in the grand scheme of things, but it's much easier than trying to do the math for how much our RPI will go down when we play RPI win, lose, or draw.

Re: Ivy Title & Cleary Cup
Posted by: JordanCS (---)
Date: February 17, 2003 03:22PM

I wouldn't count on us winning both this weekend. I don't think that Harvard is going to lose to UVM. Stranger things have happened, but I don't think so. I'd bet on one or the other, if we sweep, but not both. Cool to know that it could happen, though. I'll just take us playing our games for the rest of the season and taking care of business...the titles will follow. (hopefully)

Jordan

Posted by: Keith K (---)
Date: February 17, 2003 04:06PM

All we need to clinch the Ivy Title is one point lost by Dartmouth on either Friday or Saturday (or gained by us the following weekend). There are no Ivy tiebreakers so that point point would clinch a share of the title. I think we have two shared Ivt Titles (without looking). Winning outright needs two points with Dartmouth and one with Brown.

We need five points to clinch the RS title, either for us or against Harvard. We win the tiebreakeragainst the Crimson in all possible scenarios. So a weekend sweep by us and one point lost by Harvard to either Dartmouth or Vermont clinches.

Posted by: kaelistus (---)
Date: February 17, 2003 04:51PM

Wow... so if I'm reading you guys right, IF (A BIG IF HERE) we sweep this weekend, we are guaranteed at least one of the following: Ivy Title, Cleary Cup.

Posted by: Josh '99 (207.10.33.---)
Date: February 17, 2003 05:03PM

Felix Rodriguez wrote:

Wow... so if I'm reading you guys right, IF (A BIG IF HERE) we sweep this weekend, we are guaranteed at least one of the following: Ivy Title, Cleary Cup.
Correct.

Posted by: Chips 03 (---)
Date: February 17, 2003 05:57PM

Wrong.

Nothing -we- do this weekend affects the Ivy title at all. We could lose both games and still clinch it because neither RPI nor Union is in the Ivy League. I thought that was kinda obvious.

Likewise, should we sweep this weekend, and Harvard also sweep, that also gives us nothing, because (God forbid) we drop both Yale and Princeton, and Harvard sweeps the last weekend also, that puts them as the Cleary Cup winners.

Posted by: kaelistus (---)
Date: February 17, 2003 06:54PM

If Harvard sweeps, they take away the point Darmouth needs to take away our Ivy Title. So we don't get the Cleary Cup but we do get a share of the Ivy - guaranteed.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---)
Date: February 18, 2003 12:14AM

Mike Steinfeld wrote:

Wrong.

Nothing -we- do this weekend affects the Ivy title at all. We could lose both games and still clinch it because neither RPI nor Union is in the Ivy League. I thought that was kinda obvious.

Likewise, should we sweep this weekend, and Harvard also sweep, that also gives us nothing, because (God forbid) we drop both Yale and Princeton, and Harvard sweeps the last weekend also, that puts them as the Cleary Cup winners.
True, nothing WE do this weekend affects the Ivy Title. What Felix was saying was (assuming we win both games):

If Harvard beats Dartmouth, we're assured at least a share of the Ivy title, because Harvard will finish 6-4-0, Brown will be (at best) 6-3-1, Dartmouth will be (at best) 6-4-0, and we will be (at worst) 6-3-1.
If Harvard ties Dartmouth, the same is true, because Harvard will finish 6-3-1, Brown will be (at best) 6-3-1, and Dartmouth will be (at best) 6-3-1, and we will still be (at worst) 6-3-1. Moreover, four points by us plus any point not gained by Harvard clinches the Cleary Cup for us.
If Dartmouth beats Harvard, Dartmouth remains alive for an outright Ivy Title (if we were to lose to both Yale and Princeton), but again, four points for us plus any point lost by Harvard clinches the Cleary Cup for us.

Therefore, assuming we win both games, we will either be guaranteed a share of the Ivy Title, the Cleary Cup, or possibly both if Harvard and Dartmouth tie.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login