Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

$99 Marriott rooms in Newark

Posted by mha 
$99 Marriott rooms in Newark
Posted by: mha (---.cit.cornell.edu)
Date: November 18, 2010 01:54PM

Two Newark-area Marriott properties are offering a surprisingly good $99/night deal for Thanksgiving weekend, good November 24 through November 27, if you book by tomorrow. Neither is in downtown Newark, but both the Renaissance Newark Airport Hotel and Newark Liberty Airport Marriott ought to have decent mass-transit connections to downtown.

[www.marriott.com]

Re: $99 Marriott rooms in Newark
Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: November 19, 2010 12:55PM

mha
Two Newark-area Marriott properties are offering a surprisingly good $99/night deal for Thanksgiving weekend...
Of course they are, because who the hell goes to Newark over Thanksgiving weekend? (Besides us, I mean.)

It should be noted that neither of these hotels are particularly close to the Prudential Center; they're both by the airport, as Mark says, which is a few miles from downtown Newark. Unless you felt like taking a walk through a not-particularly-nice part of Newark/Elizabeth, you'd probably wind up taking the Newark Airport AirTrain (note that the Newark Liberty Airport Marriott is on the airport grounds, the Renaissance Newark Airport Hotel just off) to the Newark Airport New Jersey Transit station, and then switch to a NJT train going to Newark Penn Station. Just figured I'd let you know what you'd be signing yourself up for.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: November 19, 2010 01:32PM

Josh '99
mha
Two Newark-area Marriott properties are offering a surprisingly good $99/night deal for Thanksgiving weekend...
Of course they are, because who the hell goes to Newark over Thanksgiving weekend? (Besides us, I mean.)

It should be noted that neither of these hotels are particularly close to the Prudential Center; they're both by the airport, as Mark says, which is a few miles from downtown Newark. Unless you felt like taking a walk through a not-particularly-nice part of Newark/Elizabeth, you'd probably wind up taking the Newark Airport AirTrain (note that the Newark Liberty Airport Marriott is on the airport grounds, the Renaissance Newark Airport Hotel just off) to the Newark Airport New Jersey Transit station, and then switch to a NJT train going to Newark Penn Station. Just figured I'd let you know what you'd be signing yourself up for.

Doesn't this also entail paying a premium compared with other NJT fares for a comparable distance?

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: November 19, 2010 02:46PM

jtwcornell91
Josh '99
mha

Doesn't this also entail paying a premium compared with other NJT fares for a comparable distance?
Yes, in that the AirTrain fare ($5.50) is included in the one-way NJT fare ($8.25) from Newark Penn Station (or any other origin point) to Newark Airport. (For comparison's sake, the one-way fare from Newark Penn Station to North Elizabeth, the next station past Newark Airport, is $2.75.) I'm not sure whether you can buy the NJT Newark-Penn to Newark Airport fare unbundled with the AirTrain fare; theoretically, I suppose you could take NJT to North Elizabeth and then call a taxi, though I have no idea what the taxi situation is like in the area.

(My personal views about the fact that it's free to take the AirTrain to parking lots and rental car facilities, while it costs $5.50 to take it to the NJT transfer point, are, I suppose, a conversation for another day and another forum.)

Posted by: BCrespi (---.c3-0.nyw-ubr1.nyr-nyw.ny.cable.rcn.com)
Date: November 20, 2010 07:56AM

Josh '99
jtwcornell91
Josh '99
mha

Yes, in that the AirTrain fare ($5.50) is included in the one-way NJT fare ($8.25) from Newark Penn Station (or any other origin point) to Newark Airport. (For comparison's sake, the one-way fare from Newark Penn Station to North Elizabeth, the next station past Newark Airport, is $2.75.) I'm not sure whether you can buy the NJT Newark-Penn to Newark Airport fare unbundled with the AirTrain fare; theoretically, I suppose you could take NJT to North Elizabeth and then call a taxi, though I have no idea what the taxi situation is like in the area.

(My personal views about the fact that it's free to take the AirTrain to parking lots and rental car facilities, while it costs $5.50 to take it to the NJT transfer point, are, I suppose, a conversation for another day and another forum.)

There are so many things wrong with NJ Transit, from fare structure to capital programs to everything else, that it needs its own forum.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login