Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell 1 Princeton 1 Etobicoke 1 (final--overtime)

Posted by jtwcornell91 
Cornell 1 Princeton 1 Etobicoke 1 (final--overtime)
Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: November 14, 2010 09:03AM

Seriously, no game thread and no postgame thread? Did this game take place in the Twilight Zone? I thought it just felt that way...

17:50 0-1 Meland (Sdao) PPG
59:51 1-1 M Devin (Mowrey) EAG
62:35 1-2 Ford (Ritchie, Zuk) GWG

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Re: Cornell 1 Princeton 1 Etobicoke 1 (final--overtime)
Posted by: redice (---.sub-69-98-81.myvzw.com)
Date: November 14, 2010 09:34AM

Twilight zone? Perhaps...

From Wikipedia: Etobicokeis a dissolved municipality located within the current city of Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

-Ned Harkness

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: November 14, 2010 09:58AM

Offense, especially power play, really missed D'Agostino. Iles looks like the real deal. Team is very much a work in process, and will be for awhile. Mowrey looks to be a good one but still too much Romano-like one-on-one stuff resulting in turnovers.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 14, 2010 10:01AM

As has been speculated, it looks like we're in for a bit of a roller coaster ride with this team. Yale should certainly have their attention, coming in undefeated after blasting CC 5-1 last night in Colorardo Springs. Yale outshot CC 40-25. While CC has been up-and-down this year, they did beat DU 9-2.

Posted by: ithacat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 14, 2010 10:15AM

Everyone seemed off their game yesterday. The crowd arrived very late, per usual. The band seemed off during pregame play. The students weren't in unison. The team, well, they just aren't very good. One tuba...and he didn't even go to the right section for "Die..." The clock meltdown. A crazy end to a game that easily could have been a Princeton blowout.

Date: November 14, 2010 10:49AM

scoop85
As has been speculated, it looks like we're in for a bit of a roller coaster ride with this team. Yale should certainly have their attention, coming in undefeated after blasting CC 5-1 last night in Colorardo Springs. Yale outshot CC 40-25. While CC has been up-and-down this year, they did beat DU 9-2.

Yale could get ugly...must remember to be medicated. drunk

Date: November 14, 2010 11:18AM

I think a lot of the band was in NYC for the Columbia game and parade, and therefore on the road for the start of the hockey game.

Date: November 14, 2010 11:21AM

jtwcornell91
I think a lot of the band was in NYC for the Columbia game and parade, and therefore on the road for the start of the hockey game.
A thoroughly depressing day for those band members.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.par.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: November 14, 2010 01:01PM

Al DeFlorio
jtwcornell91

Meh. The band always wins.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 14, 2010 02:11PM

Scersk '97
Al DeFlorio
jtwcornell91

Truth. I had forgotten what a joke the Columbia band is. They had a guy whose "instrument" was long tree branches that he banged together. That's a step down from Princeton's stop sign player, even.

Posted by: tretiak (---.resnet.ucsb.edu)
Date: November 14, 2010 03:10PM

Iles looks like the real deal.

He didn't in OT.

Posted by: polar (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: November 14, 2010 03:11PM

Josh '99
Scersk '97
Al DeFlorio
jtwcornell91

Truth. I had forgotten what a joke the Columbia band is. They had a guy whose "instrument" was long tree branches that he banged together. That's a step down from Princeton's stop sign player, even.

I think he was supposed to be a bed bug. An explanation, but not an excuse.

Posted by: hippo (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 14, 2010 03:12PM

Did anyone else notice that Kennedy appeared to be playing hurt? He was favoring his left arm/hand for at least the 2nd half of the game.

Posted by: ursusminor (---.res.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 14, 2010 03:38PM

hippo
Did anyone else notice that Kennedy appeared to be playing hurt? He was favoring his left arm/hand for at least the 2nd half of the game.

Hmmmm. There have been more than one injury to hockey players named Kennedy this weekend. RPI's John Kennedy broke his hand on Friday. I think it was someone on the grassy knoll. ;-)

Posted by: phillysportsfan (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: November 14, 2010 04:40PM

Josh '99
Scersk '97
Al DeFlorio
jtwcornell91

Penn had a violin player in their band at the basketball game 2 years ago

Date: November 14, 2010 06:00PM

tretiak

He didn't in OT.
Brain dead response, I regret to say. Without Iles's play, there would have been no OT.

Date: November 14, 2010 06:17PM

phillysportsfan
Josh '99
Scersk '97
Al DeFlorio
jtwcornell91

A violin, unlike a tree branch, stop sign, squeeze mop, or trashcan, is an actual musical instrument.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 14, 2010 06:47PM

jtwcornell91
phillysportsfan
Josh '99
Scersk '97
Al DeFlorio
jtwcornell91

A violin, unlike a tree branch, stop sign, squeeze mop, Santa Claus, or trashcan, is an actual musical instrument.
Supplemented your post.

Posted by: Towerroad (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 14, 2010 07:05PM

Al DeFlorio
tretiak

He didn't in OT.
Brain dead response, I regret to say. Without Iles's play, there would have been no OT.

I agree, it could have as easily been 4-1 without Iles. The defense played Ok but did not control the puck that well in our end. The PP has evolved into the same PP I have seen the last few years. Move the puck to the point and then a slap shot followed by a clear. We were outskated and out hustled to the puck.

Date: November 14, 2010 07:31PM

Towerroad
Al DeFlorio
tretiak

He didn't in OT.

I agree, it could have as easily been 4-1 without Iles. The defense played Ok but did not control the puck that well in our end. The PP has evolved into the same PP I have seen the last few years. Move the puck to the point and then a slap shot followed by a clear. We were outskated and out hustled to the puck.
Cornell also seems unable to keep the puck in the offensive zone for any significant time. I thought I was watching a WCHA game being played on Olympic ice--a rush up the ice in one direction followed quickly by one in the opposite direction, with no cycling or sustained pressure by Cornell, something that has been a Cornell trademark.

Date: November 14, 2010 08:04PM

Brain dead response, I regret to say.

I caught the last ten minutes of the third and OT. The only brain dead response I saw was Iles not having his stick down on the GWG. I regret to say that a "real deal goalie" makes that save. Scrivens would.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 14, 2010 08:09PM

tretiak

I caught the last ten minutes of the third and OT. The only brain dead response I saw was Iles not having his stick down on the GWG. I regret to say that a "real deal goalie" makes that save. Scrivens would.

Scrivens, as solid as he was, gave up plenty of bad goals too.

Posted by: amerks127 (---.hsd1.dc.comcast.net)
Date: November 14, 2010 08:46PM

scoop85
tretiak

Scrivens, as solid as he was, gave up plenty of bad goals too.

See, for example, the game at Princeton last season.

Posted by: Larry72 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 14, 2010 08:46PM

I'm sure that Andy wants that shot back. Probably wants the first goal back too, although it appeared to have an odd deflection to it. Overall not having D'Agostino hurt Cornell a lot. He makes an enormous difference in the powerplay and is the most confident defenseman in the defensive and neutral zones. I thought Seymour played fine in his first game, but unlike Friday night, there was little offense from the defense! It looked at one point during the game on a PK that there were only four defensemen available to play. Not an easy night by any means. Another learning experience, that if taken to heart will make this a much better team by February.

Date: November 14, 2010 10:10PM

tretiak

Equally brain dead, pal. So you're saying a "real deal" goalie never lets one in he shouldn't have? Really? Your namesake did. Get some sense. And next time show up for the first fifty minutes.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 14, 2010 11:01PM

Al DeFlorio
tretiak

Equally brain dead, pal. So you're saying a "real deal" goalie never lets one in he shouldn't have? Really? Your namesake did. Get some sense. And next time show up for the first fifty minutes.
Totally agree. He's a freshman after all. Do you (tretiak) remember Scrivens back then? I certainly do and I shuttered every time he tried to skate and shoot the puck. It's just incredible what people will say just to be able to put someone down.

Posted by: George64 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: November 14, 2010 11:35PM

RE Etobicoke: None other than Ken Dryden played Junior B hockey for the Etobicoke Indians. There's an interesting article referencing same in the SI archives. BTW, he played forward in one freshman game against a weak opponent, but didn't skate or shoot the puck particularly well.

Date: November 14, 2010 11:58PM

Totally agree. He's a freshman after all. Do you (tretiak) remember Scrivens back then? I certainly do and I shuttered every time he tried to skate and shoot the puck. It's just incredible what people will say just to be able to put someone down.

I remember Scrivens as a freshman and he was far from a "real deal" goaltender. He had to mature; just like Iles needs to. Iles has potential, but he's not currently the best goalie in the NCAA like you and Al think. You two should wait more than three regular season games to declare Iles the Messiah. It's just incredible how people will overreact to a simple comment saying the OT goal shouldn't have gone in. Grow up.

Date: November 15, 2010 12:16AM

Forgive me for living on the West Coast and having to work on a Saturday, Al. Will the Lynah Faithful please forgive me for missing part of a November game? THE HORROR!

Thanks for adding nothing to this conversation besides condescension and generalities. Guess what - Iles is a freshman! Freshmen are prone to mistakes. He's not even the full-time starting goalie at this point. Let's compare the coming out party for several goalies:

1. Tretiak - nearly upsetting an incredible Team Canada at the 1972 Summit Series
2. Scrivens - 45 save shutout, 0-0 tie vs. a #11 UMass team at Lynah; the game Greening hit the crossbar in OT
3. Iles - 2-1 OT loss against Princeton where he made 36 saves but gave up a questionable goal in OT

If you use your head for something other than banging it against the wall, you can see that one of these is unlike the other two. You’re attacking me for saying he has room to grow when you’re saying the exact same thing. I have confidence in him eventually becoming a "real deal" goaltender (what exactly does this mean - starter, All-American, Hobey winner?). I don't think he will put up Jeff Lerg-like freshman stats or lead his team to an NCAA championship this year. You're basing your love affair with Iles on three games, why don't you let a larger sample size develop before judging him? At least wait until Iles steals a game for Cornell before you crown him. He is what most of us think he is - a freshman with great potential going who's going to have growing pains.

Or you can keep acting like a pompous ass with Jim. Knowing you, you’ll choose the later.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2010 03:44AM by tretiak.

Date: November 15, 2010 07:16AM

tretiak

Forgive me for living on the West Coast and having to work on a Saturday, Al. Will the Lynah Faithful please forgive me for missing part of a November game? THE HORROR!

Thanks for adding nothing to this conversation besides condescension and generalities. Guess what - Iles is a freshman! Freshmen are prone to mistakes. He's not even the full-time starting goalie at this point. Let's compare the coming out party for several goalies:

1. Tretiak - nearly upsetting an incredible Team Canada at the 1972 Summit Series
2. Scrivens - 45 save shutout, 0-0 tie vs. a #11 UMass team at Lynah; the game Greening hit the crossbar in OT
3. Iles - 2-1 OT loss against Princeton where he made 36 saves but gave up a questionable goal in OT

If you use your head for something other than banging it against the wall, you can see that one of these is unlike the other two. You’re attacking me for saying he has room to grow when you’re saying the exact same thing. I have confidence in him eventually becoming a "real deal" goaltender (what exactly does this mean - starter, All-American, Hobey winner?). I don't think he will put up Jeff Lerg-like freshman stats or lead his team to an NCAA championship this year. You're basing your love affair with Iles on three games, why don't you let a larger sample size develop before judging him? At least wait until Iles steals a game for Cornell before you crown him. He is what most of us think he is - a freshman with great potential going who's going to have growing pains.

Or you can keep acting like a pompous ass with Jim. Knowing you, you’ll choose the later.
You really are off the wall, I regret to say. Get a grip, man.

1. No one ever said he was the "best goalie in the NCAA," or that he'd lead Cornell to an NCAA championship as a freshman. Where did you come up with that nonsense? Is that required for someone to be a "real deal" NCAA goaltender? Really? If the latter is your criterion, I guess Cornell has never had a "real deal" goaltender. You expect him to be Tretiak after three college games? That's your standard for a "real deal?" There have been maybe three college goaltenders in my lifetime who could claim to fit that category

2. No one ever said he doesn't have "room to grow." He's a freshman. He stopped 97% of the shots against him in regulation, and that, and only that, caused an OT. He's shown the ability to follow in the footsteps of Scrivens and his other recent predecessors. They were the "real deal." Too many freshmen come with that reputation but aren't able to live up to it. No need to name names.

3. If you didn't see 80% of the game, perhaps you shouldn't be so quick to judge.

4. Lastly, you don't "know me." See number 3 above.

Posted by: Towerroad (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 15, 2010 07:58AM

Al DeFlorio
tretiak

You really are off the wall, I regret to say. Get a grip, man.

1. No one ever said he was the "best goalie in the NCAA," or that he'd lead Cornell to an NCAA championship as a freshman. Where did you come up with that nonsense? Is that required for someone to be a "real deal" NCAA goaltender? Really? If the latter is your criterion, I guess Cornell has never had a "real deal" goaltender. You expect him to be Tretiak after three college games? That's your standard for a "real deal?" There have been maybe three college goaltenders in my lifetime who could claim to fit that category

2. No one ever said he doesn't have "room to grow." He's a freshman. He stopped 97% of the shots against him in regulation, and that, and only that, caused an OT. He's shown the ability to follow in the footsteps of Scrivens and his other recent predecessors. They were the "real deal." Too many freshmen come with that reputation but aren't able to live up to it. No need to name names.

3. If you didn't see 80% of the game, perhaps you shouldn't be so quick to judge.

4. Lastly, you don't "know me." See number 3 above.

From my seat Iles stood tall. We took a number of bad penalties particularly in the 3rd. Iles and to a lesser extent the D kept us in the game. Both of you are right he is a work in progress but has not disappointed us yet. There were a number of heart attack moments when he strayed from the goal to field the puck with a Princeton player too near. If we were able to move the puck and generate offense the OT would not have been necessary, Iles did his part.

Princeton is the kind of quick puck handling team that has given us fits at both ends of the ice and the middle too for the last few years.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: November 15, 2010 08:12AM

tretiak

I remember Scrivens as a freshman and he was far from a "real deal" goaltender. He had to mature; just like Iles needs to. Iles has potential, but he's not currently the best goalie in the NCAA like you and Al think. You two should wait more than three regular season games to declare Iles the Messiah. It's just incredible how people will overreact to a simple comment saying the OT goal shouldn't have gone in. Grow up.
Excuse me, where did you ever see me post that? I think the hyperbole is on your side not mine. It seems like every year we have someone come here and try to stir things up. Go for it.

Posted by: Robb (---.198-178.cust.bluewin.ch)
Date: November 15, 2010 08:26AM

Jim Hyla
tretiak

Excuse me, where did you ever see me post that? I think the hyperbole is on your side not mine. It seems like every year we have someone come here and try to stir things up. Go for it.
Seriously. Al's initial comment was that Iles "looks like" the real deal, so Al wasn't even saying that he definitely is the real deal - just that the early signs are encouraging. Anybody who reads more than that into the post has an agenda of some sort.

Posted by: Towerroad (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: November 15, 2010 09:00AM

We seem to have Cornell disease, a constant and unremitting focus on what happens in front of our own net. The reality is that the game was lost at the other end of the ice.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: November 15, 2010 09:03AM

I came here for an argument.

Oh, sorry. This is abuse.

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: November 15, 2010 10:20AM

Towerroad
There were a number of heart attack moments when he strayed from the goal to field the puck with a Princeton player too near.

Get used to it. Iles handles the puck a lot, and well. This is another thing people around here seem to freak out over unnecessarily. If a goalie handles the puck well and is confident, there's no reason he shouldn't be doing it. It's like adding another player to the breakout.

Posted by: Towerroad (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: November 15, 2010 10:33AM

You may well be right, we need all the help we can get moving the puck.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: November 15, 2010 12:39PM

CowbellGuy
Towerroad
There were a number of heart attack moments when he strayed from the goal to field the puck with a Princeton player too near.
Get used to it. Iles handles the puck a lot, and well. This is another thing people around here seem to freak out over unnecessarily. If a goalie handles the puck well and is confident, there's no reason he shouldn't be doing it. It's like adding another player to the breakout.
It bothers me mainly because goalies who handle the puck a lot remind me of Marty Brodeur and Rick DiPietro, and I hate those guys.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: November 15, 2010 12:39PM

Trotsky
I came here for an argument.

Oh, sorry. This is abuse.

Stupid git.

Posted by: Cactus12 (---.med.nyu.edu)
Date: November 15, 2010 02:22PM

I agree in principle- a goalie who plays the puck well can help clearing the zone, starting the breakout etc. But this is way too familiar (at all levels): goalie misplays puck behind net/ plays puck with to much forecheck pressure, turnover before defense can get positioned, opposing team scores. I think knowing when (and more importantly, when not) to handle the puck is an experience thing. Even with stick-handling proficiency, I'm not sure the benefits of an inexperienced goalie playing the puck outweigh the defensive liability. I'd prefer he work on his positioning. There's plenty of time for additional development.

Date: November 15, 2010 08:47PM

tretiak
Let's compare the coming out party for several goalies:

That was an amazing game against UMass. I really enjoyed watching Scrivens grow and mature over his four years in Ithaca. I'm not sure, however, why you're comparing a game a third-semester 21-year old sophomore (playing his 20th game for Cornell) had vs a first-semester 18-year freshman (playing his 4th). As talented as Iles is, he's still a teenager. Maybe we should at least let him get through his initial semester before giving him a final grade.

Oddly enough the first time Scrivens played Princeton at Lynah he also lost 2-1. He was a junior and gave up 2 goals in the last 35 seconds of the game...man, that still makes me feel sick to my stomach.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: November 15, 2010 09:42PM

ithacat
Oddly enough the first time Scrivens played Princeton at Lynah he also lost 2-1. He was a junior and gave up 2 goals in the last 35 seconds of the game...man, that still makes me feel sick to my stomach.
Oh God. I had completely forgotten that. Thanks. flipa

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 18, 2010 12:18AM

ithacat

Yeah, but we fixed it in Albany a few weeks later.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login