Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell 6 USU18NDT 0

Posted by Trotsky 
Cornell 6 USU18NDT 0
Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: October 23, 2010 06:56PM

Welcome home, Andy Iles. (And a preview of Cole Bardreau, #18 for the opposition).

1 00:43 Cor Collins (J. Devin, Ross)
1 06:31 Cor Gotovets (Esposito)
2 10:41 Cor J. Devin (Ross, Collins)
2 11:27 Cor Craig (Gotovets, Kennedy)
3 07:25 Cor Roeszler (Mowrey, J. Devin)
3 19:21 Cor J. Devin (Esposito, Collins)
Edited 11 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2010 09:10PM by Trotsky.

Re: Cornell 0 USU18NDT 0 (1st period)
Date: October 23, 2010 07:05PM

Gorgeous 2 pass goal in the opening minute. 1-0.

Re: Cornell 0 USU18NDT 0 (1st period)
Date: October 23, 2010 07:22PM

Gotovets with a cheapy, 2-zip.

Re: Cornell 4 USU18NDT 0 (3rd period)
Date: October 23, 2010 08:23PM

Not much opposition in our offensive zone tonight. 4-zip through 2.

Re: Cornell 6 USU18NDT 0
Date: October 23, 2010 09:11PM

And 6-zip final. 2 goals in each period, well-played game for the Red.

Posted by: profudge (---.dr04.nrwc.ny.frontiernet.net)
Date: October 24, 2010 09:26AM

Cornell seemed to overwhelm the USA U18s was my impression. A bit bigger - and 3 - 4 years older seemed to make a difference. Give the USA team credit they came back hard in the second period and in pushing hard on offense and being aggressive Cornell was able to counter attack with several 2 - 1 breaks.

Some observations:

• Rocco Grimaldi - starting center for USA, (#23) all 5'6" and 160 lbs was very fast and played well. He is headed to U of North Dakota.
  • Cole Bardeau - looked a-OK, should be a good addition to the team next year
  • Mario Lucia (#15) looked strong! and he is listed as uncommitted! But he is the son of Don (coach at Minn.!).
  • Andy Iles was strong in net and gained shutout in first Big Red start! Crowd cheered loud and long for him as team exited the ice at end of game.
  • Checking their record this year; USA U18's lost to Denver 8-1, and to Colorado College 7-1, and to Michigan 3-0.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2010 09:31AM by profudge.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: October 24, 2010 10:13AM

profudge
Some observations:

• Mario Lucia (#15) looked strong! and he is listed as uncommitted! But he is the son of Don (coach at Minn.!).

If the Gophers don't start playing better, Mario might not even have a chance to play for his father next year!

Posted by: ursusminor (---.res.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 24, 2010 01:56PM

profudge
Cornell seemed to overwhelm the USA U18s was my impression. A bit bigger - and 3 - 4 years older seemed to make a difference. Give the USA team credit they came back hard in the second period and in pushing hard on offense and being aggressive Cornell was able to counter attack with several 2 - 1 breaks.

Some observations:

• Rocco Grimaldi - starting center for USA, (#23) all 5'6" and 160 lbs was very fast and played well. He is headed to U of North Dakota.
  • Cole Bardeau - looked a-OK, should be a good addition to the team next year
  • Andy Iles was strong in net and gained shutout in first Big Red start! Crowd cheered loud and long for him as team exited the ice at end of game.
  • Checking their record this year; USA U18's lost to Denver 8-1, and to Colorado College 7-1, and to Michigan 3-0.
Any comments on Ryan Haggerty, who is heading for RPI?

Posted by: profudge (---.dr04.nrwc.ny.frontiernet.net)
Date: October 25, 2010 06:53AM

Sorry - none from me - He was not part of the first or second lines that team USA used. I did not note anything about him.
I tend to watch d-men more as I played D for about 35 years.

Posted by: ugarte (---.z75-46-65.customer.algx.net)
Date: October 25, 2010 03:14PM

OK, I am usually not the guy who jumps on the Sun - they are college kids after all - but was this written in a foreign language and translated by Babelfish? Isn't there even one level of editing above "reporter-filing-story"?

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: October 25, 2010 03:18PM

bangbangbangbangbangbangbang
bangbangbangbangbangbang
bangbangbangbangbang
bangbangbangbang
bangbangbang
bangbang
bang

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: redice (---.sub-69-98-91.myvzw.com)
Date: October 25, 2010 04:16PM

ugarte
OK, I am usually not the guy who jumps on the Sun - they are college kids after all - but was this written in a foreign language and translated by Babelfish? Isn't there even one level of editing above "reporter-filing-story"?

It's not unique to college newspapers...When the Ithaca Journal first posted the story about Andy Iles' shutout, the included a picture of Mike Garman....For Gods' sake, it's Andy's hometown newspaper!! How does that happen? Does no one at the IJ read their own website? They promptly changed pictures after the error was made public.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: October 25, 2010 05:03PM

ugarte
Maybe they kept the beat writer from UQTR around for the weekend and then translated the resulting story from French.

Posted by: Robb (---.198-178.cust.bluewin.ch)
Date: October 25, 2010 06:37PM

KeithK
ugarte
Maybe they kept the beat writer from UQTR around for the weekend and then translated the resulting story from French.
You mean QATR?

Nothing against hockey players, but it's not good when the most readable sentences in the article are their direct quotes... :(

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 26, 2010 09:20AM

I just read the article. Wow. Just wow.

On a related note, does anyone believe Schafer actually said anything close to this direct quote: "...and I'm like 'dang', you know?"

Posted by: Towerroad (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: October 26, 2010 10:04AM

Strunk and White are turning in their graves. I don't like to bash a student either but this article is not up to standard. It is possible that the author is not a native speaker of American English and deserves a break but her editor certainly need some attitude adjustment.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: October 26, 2010 10:15AM

andyw2100

On a related note, does anyone believe Schafer actually said anything close to this direct quote: "...and I'm like 'dang', you know?"
Mike's secret identity:

Posted by: KP '06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 26, 2010 08:32PM

andyw2100

That actually turned up in the Ithaca Journal writeup as well : [www.theithacajournal.com]

... which takes nothing away from the point that the Sun article was awful.

Oh god my eyes
Iles is a former member of the U-18 team, who played against the Red in this very rink a year ago and won. Now, with Iles in the Red zone, there was no stopping the freshman from playing exceptionally.

Iles posted 30 saves on the night and helped keep the visitors from managing any goals past him, even on the power play. Throughout all 60 minutes of play he kept a strong stance without letting his guard down.

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 26, 2010 09:38PM

KP '06
andyw2100

That actually turned up in the Ithaca Journal writeup as well : [www.theithacajournal.com]

Well dang.

Posted by: LaJollaRed (---.c3-0.hnc-ubr1.chi-hnc.il.cable.rcn.com)
Date: October 26, 2010 10:51PM

They’re a good program, a good team. We’re disappointed with how things worked out last year; it left a bitter place in everybody’s mouth. They’re ranked high right now and we’re ready for them,” Schafer said.

That's got to be her mishearing, right?

I don't think Coach said "bitter place in everybody's mouth." Unless there was an unfortunate incident with a shared water bottle....

But, not to further harass an aspiring journalist more than necessary, this is awful. However, as someone who no longer reads the Daily Sun, er, um, daily, I hope they let her keep the job. I wouldn't mind a laugh after every game.

Posted by: ajh258 (---.res-wired.cornell.edu)
Date: October 26, 2010 11:30PM

andyw2100
KP '06
andyw2100

Well dang.

I'm just going to be captain obvious here: the writer didn't go to the game, didn't interview the players, probably wrote this 2 hours before it was due, and did not have a copy editor proof read it.

This is something definitely the sports sections can work on and I think those of you who care enough should write in about it.

Edit: typo, write "in"
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2010 03:57AM by ajh258.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: October 26, 2010 11:45PM

ajh258
...and I think those of you who care enough should write it about it.

Um, what?

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: margolism (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: October 28, 2010 11:47PM

Quick question: Is the USU18NDT team this year a weak team compared to last year's squad? Or is our team stronger than most people believe, since nobody really knows who the scoring threats are?

Why do I ask?

Last year we lost to the USU18NDT team. This year we crushed them. The US18NDT lost to several other D1 programs in a similar fashion, giving up buckets of goals, and scoring very few. I thought they fared much better against D1 programs last year. They didn't win them all, but they didn't loose them all either, and the games were closer.

Most people would say that our team last year, with Greening, Nashx2, Schrivens, and others was a stronger team than this year's squad. Yet with all those key players gone, this year's "weaker" Cornell team did what last years team did not do against the USU18NDT team.

Thoughts? Comments?

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: October 29, 2010 09:42AM

Based on what I saw from that one game, the U18 team is nowhere near the caliber of last year's team from top to bottom. I've said all along that last year's team was the best I've seen from the US, and ended up getting the hardware to prove it. This year's team hasn't fared terribly well against any other college teams they've played this year and I'm concerned about what will happen in Buffalo.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: October 29, 2010 10:24AM

CowbellGuy
This year's team hasn't fared terribly well against any other college teams they've played this year and I'm concerned about what will happen in Buffalo.
They have an early test coming up at the Four Nations Cup in Sweden in 2 weeks. Against us, at any rate, they looked atrocious.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2010 10:27AM by Trotsky.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login