Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Without a Peer Cornell preview

Posted by ursusminor 
Without a Peer Cornell preview
Posted by: ursusminor (---.res.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 20, 2010 03:12PM

Tom Reale's preview of Cornell on the RPI blog Without a Peer [www.withoutapeer.com]. He got carried away -- but only a little. :-D

BTW, "Without a Peer" is a phrase in the RPI Alma Mater.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2010 03:14PM by ursusminor.

Re: Without a Peer Cornell preview
Posted by: LaJollaRed (---.nuwlan.northwestern.edu)
Date: September 20, 2010 05:05PM

Well, my day's been made.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: September 20, 2010 05:08PM

Was that supposed to be funny? It's not that I'm taking offense at it, but he had one thought and went on forever.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: September 20, 2010 06:09PM

Jim Hyla
Was that supposed to be funny? It's not that I'm taking offense at it, but he had one thought and went on forever.
You didn't expect him to have more than one "thought," did you?pain

Posted by: ajh258 (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: September 20, 2010 09:28PM

I'm actually flattered by this blog post. Maybe he played the Ivy League stuff a bit too harsh, but otherwise I wholeheartedly endorse his "propaganda."

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: September 20, 2010 11:43PM

I started and stopped writing a comment a half-dozen times. Bad acid day? The first letters of the paragraphs spelling out April Fool already done, so try something else? Repeat attempt getting through the freshman writing seminar? ESL student? Was he uncertain how people would react so to be safe he added the blog keyword "Parody"?

You can't dismiss it as bad becasue it lives on a whole different axis.

Posted by: Robb (---.198-178.cust.bluewin.ch)
Date: September 21, 2010 05:42AM

I'm just glad that he got it correct: Ken Dryden did not allow a single goal against Cornell during the undefeated season.

Spot on!

Posted by: ursusminor (---.nrl.navy.mil)
Date: September 21, 2010 10:17AM

The non-parody preview [www.withoutapeer.com].

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: September 21, 2010 10:42AM

That's a well-crafted, well-thought-out preview (though as usual, most of us will dispute the "clutch-and-grab" characterization)... with only one serious grammatical error that made me cry a little. B-]

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: nyc94 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: September 21, 2010 11:08AM

Quotes from this thread (Jim Hyla and BillHoward) are showing up in his Twitter feed.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: September 21, 2010 11:21AM

nyc94
Quotes from this thread (Jim Hyla and BillHoward) are showing up in his Twitter feed.

Me "another furious Cornell fan lacking a sense of humor"? And after all the sucking up I did to RPI TV last spring. That's borderline slanderous. Hey, I once told a Regis joke that got Kathy Lee Gifford to crack up on the air. That was my 15 seconds. I'm working on the other 14:45.

Posted by: RichH (167.225.107.---)
Date: September 21, 2010 11:54AM

billhoward
nyc94

Me "another furious Cornell fan lacking a sense of humor"? And after all the sucking up I did to RPI TV last spring. That's borderline slanderous. Hey, I once told a Regis joke that got Kathy Lee Gifford to crack up on the air. That was my 15 seconds. I'm working on the other 14:45.

1, 2. We want more.

As a fan of good and bad comedy in general, I enjoyed the parody. Because, c'mon...there are times (OK, many times, especially on the road) our fanbase is like that, and sometimes it's cleansing to laugh at yourself. As good as it is to laugh at Andy Bernard, it works on two levels: the raw comedy and the stinging truth of it all. At least it was a novel approach. Usually, opposing scatter-bands at football games just give us the nazi salute.

Posted by: amerks127 (---.inet6.dpw.com)
Date: September 21, 2010 12:06PM

Without a Peer
Key losses: F Blake Gallagher, F Colin Greening, F Riley Nash, D Brendon Nash, D Justin Krueger, G Ben Scrivens

I don't know what's more ridiculous: that he named 6 of 7 players as key losses or that he omitted only Joe Scali from the list.

Posted by: ajh258 (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: September 21, 2010 12:19PM

[Iles] will almost certainly be called on from the get-go.

I have to disagree with the common misconception that Andy Iles will start immediately. Although Iles had more ice time last season, this does not necessarily mean Garman will be benched again this year. From what I heard, Mike has a pretty good chance of being the primary starter and will probably share ice time with Iles as the season goes on. This is obviously due to change - as most of us know, Schafer only plays the best and seniority doesn't mean much to him.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: September 21, 2010 12:41PM

ajh258

[Iles] will almost certainly be called on from the get-go.

I have to disagree with the common misconception that Andy Iles will start immediately. Although Iles had more ice time last season, this does not necessarily mean Garman will be benched again this year. From what I heard, Mike has a pretty good chance of being the primary starter and will probably share ice time with Iles as the season goes on. This is obviously due to change - as most of us know, Schafer only plays the best and seniority doesn't mean much to him.
My money is on Omar.

It will come down to how they look in practice, and practice hasn't even started yet.

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: September 21, 2010 01:06PM

Damn, I wish I had invested in the "would" futures market.

Posted by: ursusminor (---.res.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 21, 2010 04:12PM

David Harding
Damn, I wish I had invested in the "would" futures market.

28. :-D Interesting that there was only one in the parody.

Posted by: Give My Regards (---.atc-nycorp.com)
Date: September 22, 2010 09:16AM

Pretty good preview, better than I was expecting. But then, of course, there's this:

...but a new Cornell dynasty would get under way in 2001.

That season, Cornell made an impressive run through the ECAC playoffs to reach the title game, their first of six consecutive (and eight in ten) ECAC championship games.

Apparently, the 2003-04 season didn't happen at RPI either.

(No team has ever appeared in six consecutive ECAC championship games. Cornell and Sucks share the record with five straight.)

Posted by: ursusminor (---.nrl.navy.mil)
Date: September 22, 2010 09:29AM

I know that there is a separate women's thread here, but here is the link to WaP's Cornell women's preview [www.withoutapeer.com]. It has a different author, and four teams are in this post.

Posted by: TimV (---.amc.edu)
Date: September 22, 2010 10:16AM

I agree with Rich. I thought it was great for the same exact reasons, but especially because it's from the school that not only was the source of Our Great Leader but also looks upon him as enshrined. Good one, RC.

Posted by: ugarte (---.z75-46-65.customer.algx.net)
Date: September 22, 2010 03:01PM

Trotsky
My money is on Omar.
Indeed.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login