Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

"A Bad Idea: The Hybrid Icing Rule"

Posted by ajh258 
"A Bad Idea: The Hybrid Icing Rule"
Posted by: ajh258 (---.res-wired.cornell.edu)
Date: September 03, 2010 01:09PM

Just saw the first student hockey commentary in the Cornell Sun for this season.

A Bad Idea: The Hybrid Icing Rule

But the point is, fighting is one of the most integral parts to a hockey game. Read: players’ safety does not come before audience interest. And that is by no means a criticism –– it’s quality entertainment.

Thoughts? More than likely, she will comment on college hockey as the season gets closer.

Re: "A Bad Idea: The Hybrid Icing Rule"
Posted by: Robb (---.198-178.cust.bluewin.ch)
Date: September 03, 2010 01:36PM

ajh258
Just saw the first student hockey commentary in the Cornell Sun for this season.

But the point is, fighting is one of the most integral parts to a hockey game. Read: players’ safety does not come before audience interest. And that is by no means a criticism –– it’s quality entertainment.

Thoughts? More than likely, she will comment on college hockey as the season gets closer.
Yikes! Better put a "not safe for Beeeej" warning on that one...

Sounds like she doesn't get along with her editor. I like her editor already.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: September 03, 2010 03:00PM

Robb

Note to self: Trust Robb. I deeply regret clicking on that link. :`-(

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: September 03, 2010 04:34PM

Robb
ajh258

Sounds like she doesn't get along with her editor. I like her editor already.

Her editor is the same editor from last semester, Alex Kuczynski-Brown. I'm more worried about the writer not knowing anything about college hockey at all. I definitely don't go to Lynah to watch fist fights.

Posted by: Cactus12 (---.med.nyu.edu)
Date: September 04, 2010 01:12AM

So "most hockey fans in the world" are "uninterested businessmen" who enjoy a biathalon of boxing and racing for iced pucks. I'm glad to see the Sun has enlisted the services of someone who really grasps the essence of the game. [sarcastic smiley face?].
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2010 01:13AM by Cactus12.

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: September 04, 2010 02:26AM

What a maroon.

Posted by: ftyuv (---.c3-0.smr-ubr1.sbo-smr.ma.cable.rcn.com)
Date: September 04, 2010 11:34AM

Now, I don’t know about you, but I’m sure that most hockey fans in the world would have to agree with me: one of the unquestionably most exciting parts of the professional game would have to be the fights.

I hear this a lot, and I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. Am I just not watching the same games? Most of the "fights" I see in the NHL consist of two mediocre players skating around in circles for half a minute before finally getting in close, grabbing at each other's shirts, maybe throwing a real punch or two, maybe having one of those punches actually land, and then hugging each other until someone's knee touches the ice. Yaawwn. Real, "I'm pissed off" fights are one thing, but these "code" fights are snoozefests that interrupt an otherwise exciting sport. IMHO.

Posted by: phillysportsfan (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: September 04, 2010 12:05PM

Yeah it is funny to compare what the Sun is now to what it used to be. In 1929 it looked like a real newspaper and actually reported on real news like the Valentine Day Massacre

Date: September 04, 2010 12:33PM

Well, the Sun changed from a national newspaper to a local one, plus it's now free, so there's not much to be expected. However, it shouldn't be that difficult to find someone who's competent enough to write about hockey on an intelligible level.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: September 04, 2010 10:21PM

I'm all for yelling at clouds, but maybe we can give an undergrad doing, likely, her first real writing gig a few weeks to settle in, learn, and improve. Another thing the Daily Sun didn't have in 1929 was internet lynch mobs. :-P

Posted by: Robb (---.198-178.cust.bluewin.ch)
Date: September 05, 2010 05:13AM

Trotsky
I'm all for yelling at clouds, but maybe we can give an undergrad doing, likely, her first real writing gig a few weeks to settle in, learn, and improve. Another thing the Daily Sun didn't have in 1929 was internet lynch mobs. :-P
Trotsky - KeithK and I will conference privately to decide what sanction is appropriate for your total lack of curmudgeon-ness. We'll get back to you soon.

I would not give the sentence, "So without further ado, I will delve into the first topic that is plaguing my thoughts as my opinions on sports subjects is officially inked to this paper," a pass in freshman English, and by that I mean high school freshman English... panic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login