Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Canadiens sign Brendon Nash to 2-Year Deal

Posted by cbuckser 
Canadiens sign Brendon Nash to 2-Year Deal
Posted by: cbuckser (---.ospd.ca.gov)
Date: March 30, 2010 04:43PM

According to The Fourth Period, [url= ]Brendon Nash has signed an entry-level contract with Montreal[/url].

Re: Canadiens sign Brendon Nash to 2-Year Deal
Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: March 30, 2010 04:45PM

Guess that means Montreal's scouts don't know what they're doing either, right? Anyone? Didn't think so.

Posted by: Ronald '09 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 30, 2010 04:49PM

cbuckser
According to The Fourth Period, [url= ]Brendon Nash has signed an entry-level contract with Montreal[/url].[/quote]

The Fourth Period's not exactly a reputable source, but this is: [url]http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=523169[/url]

Posted by: profudge (---.bluebird.ibm.com)
Date: March 30, 2010 05:00PM

Congrats to Brendon - May he find fun and success, both, in his future hockey endeavors.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: March 30, 2010 05:08PM

profudge
Congrats to Brendon - May he find fun and success, both, in his future hockey endeavors.

"Unless he's playing my team."

Posted by: jkahn (---.73.146.216.biz.sta.networkgci.net)
Date: March 30, 2010 05:59PM

Maybe (wishful thinking) this will give Riley even more incentive to stay in school, so that he can then sign with the Canadiens next summer after his draft rights expire. I'm sure having Brendon here helped get Riley to Cornell - perhaps the Habs are thinking this might help them in that regard also.

Posted by: ajh258 (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: March 31, 2010 01:34AM

jkahn
Maybe (wishful thinking) this will give Riley even more incentive to stay in school, so that he can then sign with the Canadiens next summer after his draft rights expire. I'm sure having Brendon here helped get Riley to Cornell - perhaps the Habs are thinking this might help them in that regard also.

I don't think it would be that much of a surprise of Riley returns next year. This is off "E-Town's Greatest", an Oilers fan blog:

After a slightly better junior year, the Oilers once again return to have some dialogue with Riley Nash. Although the result of this hasn't been determined, all signs point to Nash going back for a senior season with the Big Red, a team playing in a weaker division with a poor history of generating NHL players. But now there's a different indication. Nash stops talking about himself wanting to be an "Oiler" but instead starts talking about an "NHL player". He points to the Oilers' current situation and talks about their "other problems", and deflects any questions asking about a potential conflict between him and the Oilers' brass. In summary, he basically announces that he's most likely going back for a senior season, and after that probably not signing with the Oilers.

There's a lot of hate in there for Cornell, but he correctly points out that we don't have a lot of NHL talent going through the pipeline and the incentive for him to sign right now is not as great if he just waits for next August. If there's really that much conflict between Nash and the Oilers, the better thing would be to stay with us and search for more compatible teams.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2010 01:40AM by ajh258.

Posted by: ebilmes (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 31, 2010 02:09AM

Still on the topic of Riley, you can listen to the interview with him here:

[www.thepipelineshow.com]

Posted by: Robb (---.105-92.cust.bluewin.ch)
Date: March 31, 2010 02:47AM

ajh258
There's a lot of hate in there for Cornell, but he correctly points out that we don't have a lot of NHL talent going through the pipeline and the incentive for him to sign right now is not as great if he just waits for next August. If there's really that much conflict between Nash and the Oilers, the better thing would be to stay with us and search for more compatible teams.
I think the hate is directed at the ECAC, which is a "division with a poor history of generating NHL players" rather than at Cornell specifically.

Posted by: BigRedHockeyFan (---.phil.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 31, 2010 02:58AM

Thanks for the link eblimes. Based on what Riley said during the interview, he sounds like he would like to come back to Cornell. He definitely isn't eager to move on to Edmonton. He mentioned wanting to learn more about leadership, which would fit with him being captain next year at Cornell.

Things could be pretty good:

Jillson - Nash - Kennedy
Esposito - Roeszler - J Devin
Miller - Collins - Moulson
Kary - Axel - Nicholls

Birch - M. Devin
D'Agostino - Ross
Whitney - Seymour

Garman
Kanji

Freshman

Cole
Craig
De Swardt
Mowrey

Gotovets
Brisson

Iles
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2010 03:47AM by BigRedHockeyFan.

Posted by: cu722001 (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 31, 2010 08:51AM

Brisson is supposed to be a very good puck handler, which is what the D desperately needed against UNH. I don't see a lot of O in those four lines so the freshmen better be able to produce some. Either that or Iles better be as good as advertised, and right away.

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 31, 2010 08:51AM

Robb
ajh258
I think the hate is directed at the ECAC, which is a "division with a poor history of generating NHL players" rather than at Cornell specifically.

I'm too lazy to do any actual research, but I'd like to see a list of players who graduated in the last 5 years who are playing in the NHL broken down by conference. I know the WCHA is probably way ahead, but I don't think the ECAC is doing too poorly.

Posted by: Robb (---.105-92.cust.bluewin.ch)
Date: March 31, 2010 09:13AM

CowbellGuy
Guess that means Montreal's scouts don't know what they're doing either, right? Anyone? Didn't think so.
Well, yeah, but don't forget this is the Canadiens we're talking about. What would they know about Cornell defensemen who are sometimes accused of untimely turnovers, bad penalties, and poor skating ability?

They'll never hang onto a player like that long enough to develop into a solid NHL contributor... whistle
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2010 09:15AM by Robb.

Posted by: amerks127 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 31, 2010 11:14AM

Let's be honest, the Oilers have sucked a lot since 2005-2006, when they still finished 3rd in their division. They are the worst team in the league by a mile and unlike the Penguins, Capitals and Blackhawks of the earlier part of the decade, they don't show any promise of improving soon. The Falcons, meanwhile, sit in last in the AHL and haven't finished above .500 since 1997-1998 (though the affiliation only began in 2007-2008). Simply put, this organization is the worst in all of hockey by a good five miles. If I'm Riley Nash, I wait that extra year, become a free agent and sign with a team who actually might win 30 games.

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.rbccm.com)
Date: March 31, 2010 11:38AM

I'd want to play........and the Oilers might afford him that opportunity sooner than a better team. There's more than one way to look at it. Look at Matt Moulson thriving now on the Islanders, he was buried on the depth chart at LA.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: March 31, 2010 12:31PM

RatushnyFan
I'd want to play........and the Oilers might afford him that opportunity sooner than a better team. There's more than one way to look at it. Look at Matt Moulson thriving now on the Islanders, he was buried on the depth chart at LA.
That's a good point. Then again, Moulson wasn't a first round pick. Nash might think (rightly or wrongly) that he'll get a chance to play wherever he goes. Besides, as a free agent next year he could factor the depth chart into the decision of whom to sign with.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: March 31, 2010 12:45PM

amerks127
They are the worst team in the league by a mile
The Islanders called. They said, "thank you."

More Riley
Posted by: ebilmes (---.pac.mannlib.cornell.edu)
Date: March 31, 2010 04:23PM

"Stubborn Nash"

[lowetide.blogspot.com]

Re: More Riley
Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: March 31, 2010 04:32PM

I'm sorry if this was covered in a link but, what's Brendon's plan? Does he stay in Ithaca until he graduates, or is he already off to Copps Coliseum?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2010 04:33PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.rbccm.com)
Date: March 31, 2010 06:30PM

ebilmes
"Stubborn Nash"

[lowetide.blogspot.com]
Those damned free thinkers

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 31, 2010 10:13PM

Trotsky
I'm sorry if this was covered in a link but, what's Brendon's plan? Does he stay in Ithaca until he graduates, or is he already off to Copps Coliseum?
The press release said nothing, and he is not listed in the on-line roster. Search The Hamilton Spectator for Brendon Nash and you come up empty. Search for Brendan Nash, as I did initially, and you get stories about a Jamaican cricket player.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2010 10:14PM by David Harding.

Posted by: fatchance72 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 31, 2010 11:48PM

Trotsky

I saw him on campus today.

Posted by: cbuckser (76.197.11.---)
Date: April 01, 2010 03:15AM

Brendon's two-year, two-way contact kicks in next year. He'll make $67,500 per year in the AHL for both years of his contract and $590,000 & $640,000 in the NHL next year and the following year.

The only way he can play for the Hamilton Bulldogs this season is for him to sign an AHL Amateur Tryout contract. I haven't seen any report that he has done that.

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 01, 2010 11:24AM

I looked at the link above. No one can say Brendon wasn't consistent with respect to the number of goals scored per year. (He scored two goals each of his four years.)

Posted by: Anonymous User (117.195.228.---)
Date: April 11, 2010 02:28PM

i was about to post this ..........yes he is excellent

Prendergast
Posted by: ebilmes (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: April 24, 2010 07:04PM

Somewhat tangential here, but the guy who drafted Riley (and has since criticized his development) is out in Edmonton.

[www.torontosun.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login