Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

RIT fans

Posted by Greenberg '97 
RIT fans
Posted by: Greenberg '97 (---.nyc.gov)
Date: March 29, 2010 02:17PM

I didn't see this being discussed anywhere, but was anyone else impressed by the RIT student section? Excellent synchronization, if nothing else. I've never sat across from the Cornell section, so I wonder if that's how good we look from across the rink. From what I read here, I would think our synch isn't as good as it could be.

They also had two cheers which I've never heard before: "Oh shit!" with every missed or saved shot, and "Still an empty net!" when a deep faceoff forced UNH to put their goalie back in.

As I've said elsewhere, a Cornell-RIT final would have rocked the TUC.

They lose a point, however, for leaving before the Cornell-UNH game on Friday.

Re: RIT fans
Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: March 29, 2010 02:26PM

Yep, agreed -- they may not have had quantity but they had quality.

Posted by: hippo (---.cit.cornell.edu)
Date: March 29, 2010 02:27PM

FYI,

There were two busloads of RIT students (RIT provided free round-trip transportation to the first 110 students who signed up), and they had to leave immediately after their game. So, their leaving should not be held against them.

I, too, was impressed and entertained by their cheering. Their profanity, not so much...

Date: March 29, 2010 02:31PM

Trotsky
Yep, agreed -- they may not have had quantity but they had quality.

There were RIT fans scattered around the rink as well, but yeah, they didn't fill 2.5 sections like we did.

Now we all know that the Faithful are amongst the best travelling fans in college hockey, but I was suprised that UNH and RIT weren't better represented. All three schools are about the same distance from Albany, and we were the only ones on Spring Break.

Feel free to fix my post by deleting "amongst."

Posted by: ebilmes (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 29, 2010 02:41PM

RIT's fan base was impressive because

(a) their AD helped students to get to the game with cheap tickets and free transportation,

(b) their students sat/stood together in the same section, and

(c) Cornell's fans were surprisingly quiet for all of Friday's game, including the first period and a half.

If I'm on the ice, I'd rather be playing for the team with one full section of energetic orange-clad fans than the team with four sections of quiet, red-clad fans.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: March 29, 2010 02:42PM

I've seen a number of RIT games this year, and the Corner Crew is indeed pretty impressive, although I wish they would learn the word "sieve" and use the word "suck" a little less. There is quite a lot of ritual and coordination, with themselves, the band, and the PA announcer at Ritter Arena.

I think some of them may be wound a little tight, though. I was over there at the start of the RIT semi, and the ritual was thrown somewhat by the fact that they played the Star Spangled Banner before lineups. Some of the students went into the pre-Gary-Glitter clapping routine, and others told them to stop because actually the warmups were coming. Which was all well and good, but some of them were really tearing into each other about it, which seemed sort of uncalled for.

Judy, you've seen a couple of games at Ritter; anything to add?

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 29, 2010 03:08PM

Greenberg '97
I didn't see this being discussed anywhere, but was anyone else impressed by the RIT student section? Excellent synchronization, if nothing else. I've never sat across from the Cornell section, so I wonder if that's how good we look from across the rink. From what I read here, I would think our synch isn't as good as it could be.

They also had two cheers which I've never heard before: "Oh shit!" with every missed or saved shot, and "Still an empty net!" when a deep faceoff forced UNH to put their goalie back in.

I also liked that one.

Do we lose for not coming for the whole RIT game. Our section was pretty empty for most of it. No, your own game is what counts. I decided not to go Sat, I suspect many other CU fans did the same, do we lose a point for that?

Posted by: snert1288 (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: March 29, 2010 03:18PM

it was hard to tell how loud our fans were, but despite filling 2.5 sections I thought the cornell fans were very subdued. From where I was sitting the fans seemed to be just as tired and lethargic as the players. I am very happy to be a Big Red fan and have loved my time in Lynah rink but I was disappointed at the number of students who came to the NCAA tournament and also how quiet our non-student fans were. Granted the UNH game was not one which gave us much to cheer for I thought that RIT has a much better showing.

Posted by: amerks127 (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: March 29, 2010 03:32PM

Pretty easy to see in this video that RIT has a nice fan base. The video is shot at the Blue Cross Arena.

Date: March 29, 2010 03:32PM

Jim Hyla
Greenberg '97

I also liked that one.

Do we lose for not coming for the whole RIT game. Our section was pretty empty for most of it. No, your own game is what counts. I decided not to go Sat, I suspect many other CU fans did the same, do we lose a point for that?

You make a good point. For me, the difference is that they were still in the tournament, whereas we were not. As for Friday, I didn't get there until the start of the second period of the early game, and I was upset at myself for that. But no, that doesn't make me more of a fan than you.

As a point of comparison: How was the Cornell section during Union-St. Lawrence a week ago? I wasn't in Albany at all that weekend, so I don't know.

In any event, they only lose one point in the scoring system which I just invented. They did fine otherwise.

Posted by: judy (---.z190-90-67.customer.algx.net)
Date: March 29, 2010 04:10PM

jtwcornell91
I've seen a number of RIT games this year, and the Corner Crew is indeed pretty impressive, although I wish they would learn the word "sieve" and use the word "suck" a little less. There is quite a lot of ritual and coordination, with themselves, the band, and the PA announcer at Ritter Arena.

I think some of them may be wound a little tight, though. I was over there at the start of the RIT semi, and the ritual was thrown somewhat by the fact that they played the Star Spangled Banner before lineups. Some of the students went into the pre-Gary-Glitter clapping routine, and others told them to stop because actually the warmups were coming. Which was all well and good, but some of them were really tearing into each other about it, which seemed sort of uncalled for.

Judy, you've seen a couple of games at Ritter; anything to add?

The show is good and fun to watch. They do need to learn the word sieve. They also need more random heckling - think the telephone cheer and how it's adapted to each goalie we face. Random tirades are also entertaining and I've heard a few of you on this board start into one. Overall, one of the better crowds I've seen.

Posted by: munchkin (---.c3-0.sbo-ubr4.sbo.ma.cable.rcn.com)
Date: March 29, 2010 04:11PM

Greenberg '97
As a point of comparison: How was the Cornell section during Union-St. Lawrence a week ago? I wasn't in Albany at all that weekend, so I don't know.

There were a good number of us who were there for the second game. Some (as RichH, Trotsky, Anne85, and I did) went to have dinner after the Cornell game, but came back for the last 2 periods of the SLU(t)/Union game. There was a lot of equal opportunity heckling coming from the student section. Without a doubt there was still a Red presence at the rink.

Date: March 29, 2010 04:25PM

judy
They do need to learn the word sieve.

Deliberately quoted out of context...

I know you're just saying they should use "sieve" as opposed to "suck," but not every college hockey fan base needs to use the same word(s).

My wife was sitting next to me, and about halfway through our game she commented, "Do all college fans have the same cheers?" Yeah, pretty much, just in different combinations.

Posted by: RichH (---.northropgrumman.com)
Date: March 29, 2010 07:11PM

Greenberg '97
My wife was sitting next to me, and about halfway through our game she commented, "Do all college fans have the same cheers?" Yeah, pretty much, just in different combinations.

I commented about this on the eLF chat last night after I listening Miami fans do "It's all your fault!" Back 10-20 years ago, Cornell fans were known for that cheer and if not the only school who did it, certainly the best at it. Now even Union fans do it. UNION! The 1991 Cornell @ Michigan NCAA series is well documented as being the transfer point of most of Michigan's cheers from us to them (and we in turn lifted "Ahhhhh.....See ya!";). Since then, I feel Eastern teams got it from us, and Western teams got it from UMich. Cheers these days spread like STDs. Sometimes I want to join in the "Get Your Own Cheers" chant far too often.

Wisconsin pretty much rightfully claims to be the originator of the "Sieve" chant, and they still do it the best.

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 29, 2010 09:27PM

I too was impressed with the RIT fans. My wife wondered if they came to Lynah and did their, "Oh Shit" cheer would the ushers come down and throw all of them out. I think I liked them because they reminded me of us. As for points, I think you've got to deduct a point for "De-Fense, De-Fense." It wasn't a basketball game. Other than that, I liked them.

Posted by: jkahn (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: March 29, 2010 11:14PM

The RIT fans were very entertaining. I ran into a couple on the street around 5 o'clock before Saturday's game and told them how much I enjoyed watching them and I wished them good luck vs. UNH. Perhaps our perception was aided by the fact that we weren't playing against them and most of us were definitely rooting for them. They were reminiscent of the Wisconsin fans of the early '70's - which was the first extremely organized cheering section Cornell fans encountered.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: March 30, 2010 09:14AM

RichH
Cheers these days spread like STDs.
And at the same events.

Posted by: amerks127 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 30, 2010 09:42AM

If you thought the homecoming for basketball here was spirited, check out RIT's...

[www.uscho.com]

Date: March 30, 2010 10:33AM

amerks127
If you thought the homecoming for basketball here was spirited, check out RIT's...

[www.uscho.com]

Great kicker:

Chris Lerch, USCHO
The Chinese say that this is the Year of the Tiger. Who knew they were hockey fans?

Posted by: Robb (---.105-92.cust.bluewin.ch)
Date: March 30, 2010 01:54PM

amerks127

[www.uscho.com]

Yes, well, imagine our basketball team's homecoming if they'd actually won their regional, too. That would have been epic.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login