Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Regionals Sunday March 28

Posted by Trotsky 
Regionals Sunday March 28
Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: March 28, 2010 04:48PM

5:30 ET Yale vs BC
8:00 ET Michigan vs Miami

If anyone has the URLs for streaming/audio video please add them to the thread and I'll include them in this message.

Re: Regionals Sunday March 28
Date: March 28, 2010 05:14PM

Yale audio: [wybc.com]

Posted by: judy (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 28, 2010 05:16PM

Chat, anyone?

Posted by: Robb (---.105-92.cust.bluewin.ch)
Date: March 28, 2010 05:40PM

Posted by: BigRedHockeyFan (---.phil.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 28, 2010 06:03PM

BC on PK scores shorty on a clear from their own defensive zone. Rondeau misses a short hop. Doh.

BC 2, Yale 1.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2010 06:04PM by BigRedHockeyFan.

Re: Regionals Sunday March 28 - BC-Yale
Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 28, 2010 06:08PM

BC 2-1 after a long PK clear becomes a goal.

1. Yale is quick and good, the opposite of us (at least the quick part)
2. "When you have 3 goalies, you have no goalies." Rondeau could have stopped the first goal and sieved the second even if the announcers said it was a bad hop. Right, a bad hop on a clear from center ice [edit cx: from beyond the far blue line].
3. Did Yale coach Keith Allain in his pregame interview really talk about the maturity and leadership of the senior class that he recognized when he arrived and the current seniors were freshmen and he didn't like the way the then seniors were not leading - isn't this the senior class of Sean Backman?

Still hoping for Yale to keep up the Ivy League / ECAC end since we flubbed our responsibilities.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2010 09:19PM by billhoward.

Posted by: Tom Lento (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: March 28, 2010 06:16PM

I'll eat my words from another thread - Yale does have the talent up front to go toe to toe with BC, at least for this year, and if BC doesn't stop making bad giveaways I like Yale's chances to come back and take this one. Shame about that fluke goal, but hopefully Yale can recover and find that intensity that they had for the first 15 minutes. They were doing a great job of disrupting BC's breakout and transition game. On the other hand, once BC got into the zone they pretty much controlled the puck in the cycle.

Second period should be interesting. Go Yale!

Posted by: nyc94 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 28, 2010 06:31PM

BC 3 Yale 1

Posted by: reilly83 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 28, 2010 06:34PM

And now 4-2 BC

Date: March 28, 2010 06:45PM

reilly83
And now 4-2 BC

5-2. Bad turnovers are killing Yale.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 28, 2010 06:54PM

Tom Lento
I'll eat my words from another thread - Yale does have the talent up front to go toe to toe with BC, at least for this year, and if BC doesn't stop making bad giveaways I like Yale's chances to come back and take this one. Shame about that fluke goal, but hopefully Yale can recover and find that intensity that they had for the first 15 minutes. They were doing a great job of disrupting BC's breakout and transition game. On the other hand, once BC got into the zone they pretty much controlled the puck in the cycle.

6-2, maybe not. D does count. someone did say what could happen playing like this in NCAAs.:-|

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2010 06:55PM by Jim Hyla.

Date: March 28, 2010 07:07PM

6-4

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 28, 2010 07:08PM

Jim Hyla
6-4
LGE!/LGBD!/LGY! or whatever they might say.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2010 07:08PM by Kyle Rose.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 28, 2010 07:30PM

safety safety sieve.

This is why Yale's system is so tough in the NCAA. The power programs will always have the faster, more skilled talent in these shootouts.

Posted by: Travis 02 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 28, 2010 07:39PM

Surprised to just tune into the feed and I literally just saw 3 BC goals. Now 9-4 BC. Too bad the ECAC is showing so poorly this year.

Posted by: Robb (---.105-92.cust.bluewin.ch)
Date: March 28, 2010 07:43PM

Having defense doesn't look so bad now... Yikes.

Date: March 28, 2010 07:43PM

Meh, both games got away late.

Posted by: Lauren '06 (---.wireless.ubc.ca)
Date: March 28, 2010 07:47PM

Travis 02
Surprised to just tune into the feed and I literally just saw 3 BC goals. Now 9-4 BC. Too bad the ECAC is showing so poorly this year.
Well, Yale still knocked off UND. That's pretty cool.

Date: March 28, 2010 07:50PM

Lauren '06
Travis 02
Well, Yale still knocked off UND. That's pretty cool.
Yeah, 1 game, out shot 37-23. That's how Brown beat Yale. I'd still take ND 2 out of 3, or 3 out of 5.

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: March 28, 2010 07:54PM

Travis 02
Surprised to just tune into the feed and I literally just saw 3 BC goals. Now 9-4 BC. Too bad the ECAC is showing so poorly this year. since 1990.

FYP.

Re: Regionals Sunday March 28 - BC 9-6 late 4th
Date: March 28, 2010 07:57PM

Yale cuts it to 3 with 4:05 to play. Too bad Yale sieve #1 let that clearing pass from beyond the far blue line get past him. Yale looks like a team that could find 2 goals in 4 minutes. Probably not 3.

Re: Regionals Sunday March 28 - BC 9-6 late 4th
Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 28, 2010 07:58PM

billhoward
Yale cuts it to 3 with 4:05 to play. Too bad Yale sieve #1 let that clearing pass from beyond the far blue line get past him. Yale looks like a team that could find 2 goals in 4 minutes. Probably not 3.

Hard to win at this level by settling for field goals. Got to try to punch it in for the touchdown.

Posted by: sen '08 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 28, 2010 08:16PM

9-7 BC Final. Quite the goaltending battle.

Date: March 28, 2010 08:29PM

Jim Hyla
Tom Lento

6-2, maybe not. D does count. someone did say what could happen playing like this in NCAAs.:-|

Hey, that sounds like me. ;)

I was pleasantly surprised at how well Yale's forward talent matched up with BC. The problem is the rest of their talent didn't stack up.

Date: March 28, 2010 09:23PM

We're consistently near the top of the ECAC standings. BC is consistently in the final four. BC has six (seven?) appearances in the final four since 2000.

Didn't the ECAC commissioner say his #1 goal was for an ECAC team to win the NCAAs? He had two passable candidates in Yale and Cornell until Backman got hurt and until we allowed that first goal to UNH. For Cornell, we'll have to see if it's wait till next year or a wait a year or two.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 28, 2010 11:56PM

Miami wins near the beginning of the 2nd OT , 3-2.

Date: March 28, 2010 11:57PM

Michigan just got screwed. Go BC. Go RIT.

Date: March 29, 2010 01:18AM

Jim Hyla
Jim refers to a Michigan rebound tipped past the goalie in OT and a very quick whistle. The replays (audio and video) showed the whistle going off after the puck was headed into the net, or at very worst at the same time as the whistle blew (b/c the ref couldn't see the puck?) but IMO before the players could react to the whistle.

Ah, well, the Wolverines have been to the final four 22 or 24 times, so what's one less? For Miami it's their second straight (and only two total I believe) trip.

Posted by: dbilmes (72.10.101.---)
Date: March 29, 2010 07:43AM

I watched the third period of the Yale game. Yale used three goalies, none of whom played well. There was virtually no defense being played by either team. It was certainly an entertaining game to watch!

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: March 29, 2010 07:46AM

dbilmes
I watched the third period of the Yale game. Yale used three goalies, none of whom played well. There was virtually no defense being played by either team. It was certainly an entertaining game to watch!

Their empty net was outstanding.

Posted by: judy (---.z190-90-67.customer.algx.net)
Date: March 29, 2010 10:12AM

Trotsky
dbilmes

Their empty net was outstanding.

It was, wasn't it! It did better than their sieves!

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.rbccm.com)
Date: March 29, 2010 10:25AM

billhoward
Jim Hyla
Jim refers to a Michigan rebound tipped past the goalie in OT and a very quick whistle. The replays (audio and video) showed the whistle going off after the puck was headed into the net, or at very worst at the same time as the whistle blew (b/c the ref couldn't see the puck?) but IMO before the players could react to the whistle.

Ah, well, the Wolverines have been to the final four 22 or 24 times, so what's one less? For Miami it's their second straight (and only two total I believe) trip.
That's how the puck bounces (slides?) sometimes I guess. Both Michigan and Miami were at times, on the ropes and hanging on or dominating the game. Beyond the potentially quick whistle in OT (in fairness, the color commentator Sean Ritchlin, a Michigan grad, thought that Knapp had done enough to establish possession since a penalty was called), I thought that the ref had a very slow whistle on the second Miami goal. Hunwick had the puck under his pad and I thought it was frozen before the Miami player pushed it out. I always tell my kid to keep poking until you here the whistle!

I thought both teams played incredibly hard and were moving their feet well throughout a very physical game. A great, classic NCAA game with good goaltending on both sides. And after what happened to Miami last year, they could use a bit of good luck. With Yale out, here's to a Miami vs RIT final. Well, I can wish at least, and Miami is good.

Interesting to see that Miami went with Knapp in goal versus CCHA player of the year/Hobey Baker candidate Cody Reichard (15-0-2 in CCHA league play with a 1.23 GAA and 95.0% save %). It must be nice to have two goalies of that caliber. Presumably Knapp got the nod because Reichard wasn't sharp in the CCHA tourney semifinal loss to............Michigan.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2010 10:26AM by RatushnyFan.

Date: March 29, 2010 10:46AM

RatushnyFan
billhoward
Jim Hyla

That's how the puck bounces (slides?) sometimes I guess. Both Michigan and Miami were at times, on the ropes and hanging on or dominating the game. Beyond the potentially quick whistle in OT (in fairness, the color commentator Sean Ritchlin, a Michigan grad, thought that Knapp had done enough to establish possession since a penalty was called), I thought that the ref had a very slow whistle on the second Miami goal. Hunwick had the puck under his pad and I thought it was frozen before the Miami player pushed it out. I always tell my kid to keep poking until you here the whistle!

I thought both teams played incredibly hard and were moving their feet well throughout a very physical game. A great, classic NCAA game with good goaltending on both sides. And after what happened to Miami last year, they could use a bit of good luck. With Yale out, here's to a Miami vs RIT final. Well, I can wish at least, and Miami is good.

Interesting to see that Miami went with Knapp in goal versus CCHA player of the year/Hobey Baker candidate Cody Reichard (15-0-2 in CCHA league play with a 1.23 GAA and 95.0% save %). It must be nice to have two goalies of that caliber. Presumably Knapp got the nod because Reichard wasn't sharp in the CCHA tourney semifinal loss to............Michigan.
Not how the puck bounces. Last year's loss by Miami to BU was how the puck bounces, this was how the ref blew it. That's especially true when compared to the Miami goal you mentioned. Michigan got screwed. A slow whistle on a Miami goal and a fast whistle on their game winning goal.

By the way, I interpreted the commentary differently. They consistently said the puck was free, just that he may have blown the whistle because he thought the puck was covered and there was a penalty being called. However, that comment was nonsense, since once the goalie covers the puck the whistle blows, regardless if there is a penalty or not. Stupid comment by him.

I can't believe I'm going to root for BC, but Miami lost the game and shouldn't be there. The only salvation is the ref having to live with his blown call determining the outcome of the game.

As an aside, I never noted before that NCAA refs never have their name on their shirt. At least I assume it's an NCAA rule. Any help from others out there?

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 29, 2010 10:50AM

Jim Hyla
As an aside, I never noted before that NCAA refs never have their name on their shirt. At least I assume it's an NCAA rule. Any help from others out there?
I noticed that at the RIT/Denver and someone wearing a Clarkson hat behind me said that it was an NCAA thing. Can't vouch for his credibility, but the evidence seems to support it.

Date: March 29, 2010 11:10AM

Jim Hyla
I can't believe I'm going to root for BC, but Miami lost the game and shouldn't be there. The only salvation is the ref having to live with his blown call determining the outcome of the game.
A little bitter? I went to Michigan for grad school and follow the team (second closest to my heart), but stuff happens, refs make mistakes. Miami didn't lose the game and they move on.

Date: March 29, 2010 11:40AM

RatushnyFan
Jim Hyla
A little bitter? I went to Michigan for grad school and follow the team (second closest to my heart), but stuff happens, refs make mistakes. Miami didn't lose the game and they move on.
Maybe more than a little, so? Michigan completely dominated the OT and didn't deserve to lose, especially after the first call you mentioned.

Posted by: Greenberg '97 (---.nyc.gov)
Date: March 29, 2010 01:47PM

I don't even consider it a "blown call." In the situation, the ref has to blow his whistle if he either loses sight of the puck or feels the goalie gained possession (not covered or deflected the puck, but directed or possessed the puck). Maybe the whistle was for the latter.

The last thing a ref wants in that situation is a goal being scored after possession changed. I think a quick whistle was appropriate given the circumstances.

Also, at the NHL level and apparently in the NCAAs as well, the play becomes dead when the referee intends to blow the whistle, not actually blows it. So the goal could have been in the net before the whistle sounded and it still could have been waved off if the referee determined that he began the thought process of blowing the whistle before it crossed the goal line.

In summary, yes it was a quick whistle, but no, not a blown call.

NHL: [www.nhl.com] Rule 78.5 (xii)

NCAA: [www.ncaapublications.com] Rule 6, Section 60.a.1.c. (Page HR-89)

Posted by: adamw (209.71.42.---)
Date: March 29, 2010 01:58PM

Jim Hyla
Maybe more than a little, so? Michigan completely dominated the OT and didn't deserve to lose, especially after the first call you mentioned.

Miami completely dominated the third period. So .... there you go ...

I think Ritchlin's comment was correct. Delayed penalty call, and he established "possession," so blowing the whistle there is correct, even if it's still free.

Date: March 29, 2010 03:02PM

adamw
Jim Hyla

Miami completely dominated the third period. So .... there you go ...

I think Ritchlin's comment was correct. Delayed penalty call, and he established "possession," so blowing the whistle there is correct, even if it's still free.
Completely is much too strong, Michigan out shot them 15-12. Yes, there was a long stretch where they had the puck in the Michigan zone, but they weren't able to do anything with it. So, not so complete.

I haven't looked at the rule, but to establish possession on a delayed penalty, doesn't the goalie need to do more than just touch it? If it was free wouldn't they let the play go on? If it was just the delayed penalty, they wouldn't have needed to review the play. No, I think the review was to see if the puck crossed the goal line before the whistle and the penalty had nothing to do with it.

I'm sure if this was Cornell, we'd be talking about it for years, after all we've been talking about sticks and crossbars for 7 years so far. Bitter, are we?

Date: March 29, 2010 03:11PM

Jim Hyla
I'm sure if this was Cornell, we'd be talking about it for years, after all we've been talking about sticks and crossbars for 7 years so far. Bitter, are we?
I don't look at it that way and I went to Michigan. Can't speak for all of you but I think it's best to let it go. Michigan played well, I was proud of their effort.

That said, it took me about 10 years to "let go" of Michigan's '97 FF loss to BU. Maybe because I was in grad school at the time and losing with about 10 future NHLers seemed incomprehensible. Unless you have that kind of dominant team, I think you're just looking for a solid effort.

Date: March 29, 2010 03:18PM

RatushnyFan
Jim Hyla
I don't look at it that way and I went to Michigan. Can't speak for all of you but I think it's best to let it go. Michigan played well, I was proud of their effort.

That said, it took me about 10 years to "let go" of Michigan's '97 FF loss to BU. Maybe because I was in grad school at the time and losing with about 10 future NHLers seemed incomprehensible. Unless you have that kind of dominant team, I think you're just looking for a solid effort.
I'm not sure what way you don't look at it. My point was that we talk about those things and complain about them for years, so complaining for a few days doesn't seem terrible. By the way my wife (she's a grad) and I also went to Michigan, and they are my second favorite team as well. My problem is not having a team to really root for now. I don't know if I'll spend the time and money to go to Detroit now.

As an aside, I wonder if RIT will be as helpful to get their students to Detroit as to Albany.

Date: March 29, 2010 03:38PM

Jim Hyla
As an aside, I wonder if RIT will be as helpful to get their students to Detroit as to Albany.

If they really want to be helpful, they should expedite the passport process. Cuts an hour off the drive each way.

Posted by: judy (---.z190-90-67.customer.algx.net)
Date: March 29, 2010 04:15PM

Greenberg '97
Jim Hyla

If they really want to be helpful, they should expedite the passport process. Cuts an hour off the drive each way.

Or, they could also tell some of their professors to cancel classes or exams to all go cheer on the team coughjtwcough

Posted by: adamw (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 31, 2010 01:28AM

judy
Or, they could also tell some of their professors to cancel classes or exams to all go cheer on the team coughjtwcough

LOL

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: March 31, 2010 09:00AM

Jim Hyla

Yes, they are. We got an email saying that they'll have $189 all-session tickets in the RIT section available to students for $100, and have a bus leaving at 7am Thursday, taking the US route to Detroit for the RIT game, and returning afterwards, due back in Rochester in the wee hours of the morning, with a similar bus Saturday if RIT is playing in the final. The email also included advice on the visa/passport requirements for people going themselves via Canada.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: March 31, 2010 11:45AM

RIT news article

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Date: March 31, 2010 12:12PM

RIT news article
When we find our team in the finals on Saturday...

Good for them.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: March 31, 2010 05:25PM

jtwcornell91
Jim Hyla

Yes, they are. We got an email saying that they'll have $189 all-session tickets in the RIT section available to students for $100, and have a bus leaving at 7am Thursday, taking the US route to Detroit for the RIT game, and returning afterwards, due back in Rochester in the wee hours of the morning, with a similar bus Saturday if RIT is playing in the final. The email also included advice on the visa/passport requirements for people going themselves via Canada.
Yeah, but they're not staying for the second game. What do some of you say about that.:-}

Date: April 01, 2010 12:40PM

Jim Hyla
jtwcornell91
Jim Hyla

Yeah, but they're not staying for the second game. What do some of you say about that.:-}

Safety fans! B-]

Posted by: Anonymous User (117.195.228.---)
Date: April 11, 2010 02:28PM

i agree with u:)

Date: April 12, 2010 02:11PM

Greenberg '97
RIT news article
When we find our team in the finals on Saturday...

Good for them.
Good for RIT for nuturing hockey and hockey fans. Cheap buses to the NCAA senis is a more effective tool than Q's thundersticks for home games. Marist IIRC from a campus visit chartered a plane (bus?) for the women's run into the NCAA basketball round of 16 at underwrote the cost. It excited my son, a HS senior then, to think the school cared that much about its sports program. Nice if Cornell did this, too, but our fan base is already energized for hockey and immediately got psyched for basketball.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login