Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Thank you seniors 2010

Posted by BigRedHockeyFan 
Thank you seniors 2010
Posted by: BigRedHockeyFan (---.med.upenn.edu)
Date: March 27, 2010 12:37AM

Thank you Joe Scali, Brendon Nash, Colin Greening, Blake Gallagher, Justin Krueger, and Ben Scrivens for four great years of hockey. We appreciate your hard work and great play through this and the last 3 seasons. Congratulations on your well deserved ECAC championship, the first since 2005. We wish you all much success for your future, in hockey and beyond.

Riley Nash, we're not ready to say good bye yet. Think about it.

Re: Thank you seniors 2010
Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: March 27, 2010 12:41AM

Ditto. Great bunch of guys that will be sorely missed.

Posted by: Roy 82 (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: March 27, 2010 12:54AM

Amen brudda. Much nicer sentiment than the anti-badwagonnng going on on the other threads.

Posted by: kaelistus (---.c3-0.smr-ubr1.sbo-smr.ma.cable.rcn.com)
Date: March 27, 2010 02:05AM

Best Cornell team since 2003. Congrats to a wonderful group of seniors and an incredible season.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: March 27, 2010 02:17AM

kaelistus
Best Cornell team since 2003. Congrats to a wonderful group of seniors and an incredible season.

No, that would be 2005. Maybe 2006. So, best Cornell team since, inarguably, 2006.

Posted by: French Rage (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: March 27, 2010 02:23AM

Tough group to replace!

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 27, 2010 02:26AM

Scersk '97
kaelistus

No, that would be 2005. Maybe 2006. So, best Cornell team since, inarguably, 2006.
QFT. Both 2005's and 2006's squads were better *and* more consistent than this season's.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2010 02:27AM by Kyle Rose.

Posted by: profudge (---.dr04.nrwc.ny.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 27, 2010 07:38AM

THANK YOU Seniors! For four years of enjoyable hockey - for skill and effort and growth - YOUU ALL HAVE ADDED ENJOYMENT TO MY HOCKEY WATCHING !

May your path ahead be filled with challenges to over come and much fun and enjoyment along the way!
May success in whatever you choose to do be yours -

May the ice be smooth and fast _
and may the puck fly straight and true for you.

sincerely, Lou

Posted by: Towerroad (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 27, 2010 09:04AM

Thank you for beating Harvard 4 times! Good Luck.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.host.starwoodhotels.com)
Date: March 27, 2010 09:07AM

Thank you, seniors. A heckuva group.

Posted by: MattShaf (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 27, 2010 09:39AM

Thank you to a great group of Cornellians! We appreciate your effort and commitment to our (and hopefully your) favorite CU pasttime.
Good luck

Matthew Shafiroff, '94

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: March 27, 2010 10:36AM

Kyle Rose
Scersk '97
kaelistus

QFT. Both 2005's and 2006's squads were better *and* more consistent than this season's.

And yet, you know what this year's squad has that 2006's doesn't? A championship. So my hat is off to them.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Date: March 27, 2010 10:43AM

jtwcornell91
And yet, you know what this year's squad has that 2006's doesn't? A championship. So my hat is off to them.
Good thing Brown (and Sean Backman) did our dirty work for us and knocked Yale out of the ECAC playoffs before Cornell got its chance to lose to them for the Nth consecutive time.

Posted by: slh10 (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 27, 2010 11:38AM

Thank you seniors for a great run. May life bring you as much joy as you have brought to us over the last four years.

Thank you seniors and families
Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 27, 2010 12:24PM

Thanks to this wonderful group of Cornellians.

I sat for the beginning of the RIT game with Mr. and Mrs. Skrivens. You can see where Ben gets his great disposition. Also was privileged to meet Patrick Kennedy's and Nick D'Agostino's dads. So in addition to the seniors, I want to thank their families.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 27, 2010 03:06PM

Kyle Rose
jtwcornell91
Good thing Brown (and Sean Backman) did our dirty work for us and knocked Yale out of the ECAC playoffs before Cornell got its chance to lose to them for the Nth consecutive time.

The tournament format it pretty simple. Lose, go home. Win, play on. It's pretty low to try and detract from the team's accomplishments and championship because another team wasn't even good enough to get to the final four.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.tmodns.net)
Date: March 27, 2010 03:30PM

Jordan 04
The tournament format it pretty simple. Lose, go home. Win, play on. It's pretty low to try and detract from the team's accomplishments and championship because another team wasn't even good enough to get to the final four.
Being "low" or not is entirely irrelevant to my analysis of what happened. Being true or not is more to the point. Do you seriously contest it, or are you avoiding the question entirely because you are simply unwilling to critique?

I guess I just don't understand the attitude that the team is off-limits to open criticism. I'm sure Schafer is wracking his brain trying to figure out why this team was so inconsistent. I don't see what the harm is in discussing this stuff. You may not like it, but frankly I don't care.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 27, 2010 03:44PM

Kyle Rose
Jordan 04
Being "low" or not is entirely irrelevant to my analysis of what happened. Being true or not is more to the point. Do you seriously contest it, or are you avoiding the question entirely because you are simply unwilling to critique?

Unwilling as far as the Whitelaw Cup goes. There is nothing to critique with regards to winning the ECAC Championship. Cornell won it. Yale (and 10 other teams) did not.

I guess I just don't understand the attitude that the team is off-limits to open criticism. I'm sure Schafer is wracking his brain trying to figure out why this team was so inconsistent. I don't see what the harm is in discussing this stuff. You may not like it, but frankly I don't care.

Discussing the team's inconsistency is fine; but it can be done in non-douchey ways (e.g., without "Buh-bye Seniors" polls and backhanded compliments -- sans compliment, really -- about their championship). I agree the team was inconsistent at times. Perhaps they simply didn't have the talent level that allowed them to carve through the opposition; so be it. On some nights it clicks, on others it doesn't. And single-elimination tournaments only serve to magnify that. UNH has been equally inconsistent this year, but they were fortunate enough to have variance work better for them than it did for us.

On the whole, I think critique and analysis of the season is fine; but I don't think single-elimination tournament losses are cause for condemnation of a group's 4-year performance, a championship, a coach, an entire system, and an entire program.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 27, 2010 04:48PM

Jordan 04
Kyle Rose
Jordan 04

Unwilling as far as the Whitelaw Cup goes. There is nothing to critique with regards to winning the ECAC Championship. Cornell won it. Yale (and 10 other teams) did not.

Discussing the team's inconsistency is fine; but it can be done in non-douchey ways (e.g., without "Buh-bye Seniors" polls and backhanded compliments -- sans compliment, really -- about their championship). I agree the team was inconsistent at times. Perhaps they simply didn't have the talent level that allowed them to carve through the opposition; so be it. On some nights it clicks, on others it doesn't. And single-elimination tournaments only serve to magnify that. UNH has been equally inconsistent this year, but they were fortunate enough to have variance work better for them than it did for us.

On the whole, I think critique and analysis of the season is fine; but I don't think single-elimination tournament losses are cause for condemnation of a group's 4-year performance, a championship, a coach, an entire system, and an entire program.

Well said. I'm all for reasoned analysis, and I've offered my share of it over the years. The sarcasm that some folks like to spew is pretty weak from where I sit.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 27, 2010 07:05PM

Jordan 04
As well as the president of the university, the Stonecutters, and God, right? You may wish to direct your straw man elsewhere, because I never said such a thing.

I was very specific in my criticism, if a bit colorful in presentation: this team underperformed expectations. As I've said elsewhere, I have no problem with Schafer or his system, nor a problem with Cornell's hockey program as a whole. This year, however, they sucked relative to where many of us expected them to be back in October. I, unlike most of you, have no problem saying so.

I'm sure Cornell hockey will survive this and move on (with me as an ardent fan, once I recover from the epic facepalm that was yesterday), but these seniors don't get another try at playing the kind of game I know they are capable of.

Posted by: BigRedHockeyFan (---.med.upenn.edu)
Date: March 27, 2010 09:25PM

The title of the thread is: Thank you seniors 2010

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 28, 2010 12:20AM

Kyle Rose
Scersk '97
kaelistus

I for one can't stand your negativity on this topic. Most of your comments are opinions, not facts - who elected you to decide which Cornell team is best? Everyone is entitled to their opinion but reading your piss and vinegar is annoying. That's just an opinion by the way.

EDIT - Thank you seniors. Best wishes in the future, on and off the ice.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2010 12:22AM by RatushnyFan.

Posted by: ajh258 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: March 28, 2010 01:52AM

In the end, although there were some bad games, the highlights of this season overweighed these disappointments. All the seniors performed above expectations and gave us a season that won't be easily forgotten. Thank you.

Date: March 28, 2010 09:43AM

RatushnyFan
Most of your comments are opinions, not facts - who elected you to decide which Cornell team is best?
Agreed, and no one: I'm clearly expressing an opinion. You (among others) are trying to put my statements in the worst possible light because you don't like what I'm saying. Why not just say that and move on, instead of putting words in my mouth?

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but reading your piss and vinegar is annoying. That's just an opinion by the way.
That's perfectly all right. I find unconditional positivity annoying as shit. Everyone has their pet peeves. ;-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2010 09:44AM by Kyle Rose.

Posted by: Towerroad (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 28, 2010 11:09AM

Kyle:

I think you are missing the point entirely. No matter how disappointed you are in the Red's performance on Friday I guarantee there are 6 men, most of whom are not turning pro and will never play hockey at this level again, who are more disappointed. I suspect, however, that they have learned to accept victory and defeat with better grace than you have shown, that is the most important lesson in sport.

The title of this particular page is "Thank you seniors 2010". For four years these 6 men wore the red and white and did their best. Sometimes their best was spectacular (the cycling lesson in the UNH game was an example) and sometimes their best did not measure up to the competition. Regardless, I believe they tried their best and deserve our gratitude and respect. Show a little class and let the faithful thank a fine group of men. There is a time and place for analysis and discussion, you are very good at both, but this is not it. I leave you with this:

"It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2010 11:24AM by Towerroad.

Date: March 28, 2010 11:27AM

Towerroad
The title of this particular page is "Thank you seniors 2010".
Indeed, it was my mistake that this discussion spilled over into this particular thread. Mea culpa. And, now that I've calmed down a bit, I agree with many of you that the timing and phrasing of my other thread were both a bit poor. Note to self: wait 2 days before writing post-season thoughts. ;-)

Thank you, seniors: it was a pleasure watching you skate for four years. I will continue to wear Brendon Nash's sweater with pride.

As a final aside, it's amazing how quickly the years go by: none of this year's team played with Bitz or Moulson or the Abbott brothers or endured the 3OT loss in 2006. Was it really that long ago?

Posted by: Rita (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: March 28, 2010 11:41AM

Kyle Rose
Towerroad
The title of this particular page is "Thank you seniors 2010".
Indeed, it was my mistake that this discussion spilled over into this particular thread. Mea culpa. And, now that I've calmed down a bit, I agree with many of you that the timing and phrasing of my other thread were both a bit poor. Note to self: wait 2 days before writing post-season thoughts. ;-)

Thank you, seniors: it was a pleasure watching you skate for four years. I will continue to wear Brendon Nash's sweater with pride.

As a final aside, it's amazing how quickly the years go by: none of this year's team played with Bitz or Moulson or the Abbott brothers or endured the 3OT loss in 2006. Was it really that long ago?

In some ways yes, and in other ways no. Boy do I miss the Abbott twins.

Posted by: Jacob 03 (150.108.60.---)
Date: March 28, 2010 04:32PM

If anyone's interested in how Ben Scrivens has played himself into the NCAA Record Book after this season (back-of-envelope calculations/estimates):

23rd in Career Wins
3rd in Career Shutouts
9th in Career GAA
7th or 8th in Career Save Percentage
1st in Consecutive Games Played by a Goalie
1st (by a country mile) in Consecutive Games Started by a Goalie
3rd in Consecutive Shutout Minutes
4th (with many) in Consecutive Shutouts
2010: 21st in Season Save Percentage
2010: Another entry at 7th in Season Shutouts

This isn't to elevate any player's performance above others. These reflect on the team and coach as well.

Posted by: Tom Lento (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: March 28, 2010 06:27PM

Yes, indeed. I think everyone - especially the seniors - hoped for a longer run in the NCAAs, but they had a great 4 years and were part of the rebuilding process that brought Cornell back to the NCAA tournament and an ECAC title back to Cornell.

Posted by: adamw (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 31, 2010 01:37AM

Kyle Rose
I was very specific in my criticism, if a bit colorful in presentation: this team underperformed expectations. As I've said elsewhere, I have no problem with Schafer or his system, nor a problem with Cornell's hockey program as a whole. This year, however, they sucked relative to where many of us expected them to be back in October. I, unlike most of you, have no problem saying so.

I think the problem was moreso with your expectations than with the performance. Inconsistency = not that good, relatively speaking. If sometimes you're good and sometimes you're not, that's really, by definition, a team that isn't great. I think "inconsistent" is overused in sports. It's usually said by people thinking you should be better than you are, and trying to make excuses for it -- assuming (wrongly) that the good moments should have happened more of the time. Or assuming (wrongly) that just because good moments happen, that they are supposed to happen all the time.

Brown played 2 good games against Yale. Were they just inconsistent this year? Or were they just a stinky team capable of playing the occasional good game?

So, Cornell's "inconsistency" is because they were a pretty good team, but not a great - which is pretty much what should've been expected at the beginning of the season. It's within the realm of possibility that such a team could get hot and make the Frozen Four, and it was certainly worth hoping for it / rooting for it / getting excited about the possibility. But I don't think it was ever likely or should've been "expected."

Posted by: Rita (---.med.miami.edu)
Date: March 31, 2010 09:16AM

Now that the I have leveled off from the "highs" and "lows" of the past two weekends, I too would like to thank the seniors for a wonderful 4 years. Yes, after last year's loss in the regional final, I had hopes that Cornell would be joining me in Detroit, but alas, not to be.

However, like most Cornell teams in the last 10-12 years, they have given us reason to hope (and usually delivered) that Cornell's hockey season would last beyond the 1st weekend in March. I try keep in mind that these are 18-23 year old kids that are playing hockey, going to class, have exams and projects due and for the most part, being productive members of their community (remember Colin Greening's Lowe's Senior Class Bio bugeye?). It is a tough load to juggle and I respect the guys for doing it and trying to do their best game in and game out.

So again, thank you Seniors (and Juniors, Sophomores and Freshmen) for another this hockey season, you definitely kept it interesting and provided us fans with plenty to talk about. And hey, you gave me the opportunity to buy an ECAC-championship sweatshirt, and inspired one really cool t-shirt banana! Best of luck in all your future endeavors.

ps... Could someone in the Cornell Genetics department or down at the med school find a way to clone Colin Greening and keep him as a perpetual Junior? Please help?

Posted by: Give My Regards (---.atc-nycorp.com)
Date: March 31, 2010 09:17AM

adamw
Brown played 2 good games against Yale. Were they just inconsistent this year? Or were they just a stinky team capable of playing the occasional good game?

Yale was inconsistent. nut

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: March 31, 2010 01:02PM

Rita
Could someone in the Cornell Genetics department or down at the med school find a way to clone Colin Greening and keep him as a perpetual Junior?

Dunbars can keep anybody a perpetual Junior.

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 31, 2010 09:30PM

Trotsky
Rita
Could someone in the Cornell Genetics department or down at the med school find a way to clone Colin Greening and keep him as a perpetual Junior?

Dunbars can keep anybody a perpetual Junior.
But not a Junior with eligibility.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: April 01, 2010 01:19PM

I only meet requirements, I don't write them.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login