Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

UHN Pregame Thread (RIT and Denver too)

Posted by KenP 
Page:  1 2Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
UHN Pregame Thread (RIT and Denver too)
Posted by: KenP (---.ssmcnet.noaa.gov)
Date: March 24, 2010 03:26PM

Still lots of talk about roll calls, tickets, and squeakball. Is there anything substantial to talk about for this weekend? We played well against UNH earlier this year. They won the Hockey East RS title but lost in 3 to Vermont. Which also means they've had an extra week to fume, heal and prepare.

On the other half of our Albany bracket, we have a very similar story with Denver: WCHA RS title, lost to NoDaK in the semifinal and Wisconsin in the consolation game. RIT has won their last 10 games, but come in with a perfect 0-5-0 non-conference record. Do they have a chance against Denver? If #1 and #2 win on Friday, how do we match up to the Pioneers?

(edit: missspelled per convention)
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2010 07:14AM by KenP.

Re: UNH Pregame Thread (RIT and Denver too)
Posted by: ugarte (---.z75-46-65.customer.algx.net)
Date: March 24, 2010 03:55PM

Who the hell talks about hockey?

Posted by: munchkin (32.176.244.---)
Date: March 24, 2010 03:57PM

ugarte
Who the hell talks about hockey?
Really, can't you tell by the Juggernaut shirt thread that we're secret fashion mavens and that liking hockey is all just a facade.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2010 04:05PM by munchkin.

Posted by: Rob NH (---.hsd1.nh.comcast.net)
Date: March 24, 2010 04:01PM

Expectations are not high in Wildcat country, the team coming to Albany this year bears no resemblance to the teams you've met in the past. There was a ton of parity in Hockey East this year (#3-#9 separated by 4 points) and UNH overachieved to beat out a much better Boston College squad for the Regular Season Title. UNH's last real good showing was 1/23 @ BU, from there it was a tight draw and win against Merrimack, getting swept by blowing a 2 goal lead two nights in a row in Orono, a tight series against NU & UVM, and a tie and loss to BC to close out the RS 1 point above the Eagles. In the playoffs we were down 4-2 the first night before Madore choked 4 straight (plus an EN). The next two nights we were completely shut down by the trap, UNH is mostly a transition team and had absolutely no idea how to adjust. The Wildcats were out shot 25-17 in game 2 and 51-34 in game 3 (OT). Defensively this team is weak; they're not overly physical, take dumb penalties, and forget to clear out the front of the net. Foster started off the season so-so but pulled it together mid way through the year and has been standing on his head as of late to make up for our poor defense. Our power play is awful; poor puck handling, multiple unforced errors, and continuous shots in to screens.

I missed UNH-Cornell at the Whitt earlier in the season due to work and only saw a period and a half of the ECAC semi, but if Cornell is a defensively sound team (as they often are) who can also cause havoc on the other end of the ice (as they did at the Whitt earlier in the season) then they ought to clean up quite easily.

Prediction: 4-1 Cornell
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2010 04:31PM by Rob NH.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (155.72.24.---)
Date: March 24, 2010 04:21PM

All I know is yet another tournament elimination at the hands of UHN would be tough to take.

Posted by: Rob NH (---.hsd1.nh.comcast.net)
Date: March 24, 2010 04:23PM

p.s. feel free to come over and say hi, we had a great time with jtw & company in Florida a few years back, including members from each school's cheering section pulling double duty for the other on the 2nd day. We'll probably be up with our pep band in sec 205.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2010 04:24PM by Rob NH.

Posted by: AnneDVM (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: March 24, 2010 04:23PM

Denver may be trying to figure how they'll get to Albany. The Denver airport was mostly shut down today due to snow, so hopefully they'll be able to get out here on time!

On the subject of actual hockey, I think this is the first year that I haven't seen Denver play on TV at least once during the season, so I will be very interested to see their style during the first-round matchup.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 24, 2010 04:26PM

KenP
Still lots of talk about roll calls, tickets, and squeakball. Is there anything substantial to talk about for this weekend? We played well against UNH earlier this year. They won the Hockey East RS title but lost in 3 to Vermont. Which also means they've had an extra week to fume, heal and prepare.

On the other half of our Albany bracket, we have a very similar story with Denver: WCHA RS title, lost to NoDaK in the semifinal and Wisconsin in the consolation game. RIT has won their last 10 games, but come in with a perfect 0-5-0 non-conference record. Do they have a chance against Denver? If #1 and #2 win on Friday, how do we match up to the Pioneers?
We looked freaking awesome at UNH. We're peaking now. We're the higher seed. I hope the seeding is right.

I'm a hockey fan first but spent more time on hoops the last couple days but hoops is one of those lunar-earth-asteroid-Jupiter lining up events that's not frequent ... whereas Kentucky will just hire a replacement crop of freshmen.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: March 24, 2010 04:34PM

AnneDVM
Denver may be trying to figure how they'll get to Albany. The Denver airport was mostly shut down today due to snow, so hopefully they'll be able to get out here on time!

On the subject of actual hockey, I think this is the first year that I haven't seen Denver play on TV at least once during the season, so I will be very interested to see their style during the first-round matchup.
A buddy of mine who lives in boulder says they had a foot of snow Saturday, then two days in the sixties that eliminated all traces of it and then storm expected to drop 18 inches starting last night. Nice yo-yo there.

It's supposed to be clear through tomorrow so worst case tey'd probably fly out a day late and lose their practice day. (Which won't bring any complaints from me!)

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: March 24, 2010 04:41PM

KeithK
It's supposed to be clear through tomorrow so worst case tey'd probably fly out a day late and lose their practice day. (Which won't bring any complaints from me!)

Dumb question but... wouldn't they just practice at home?

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: March 24, 2010 04:46PM

IIRC, the reaction of many UNH fans at the time of the January game was sincere props to us but that they had just played their worst game in about five seasons. Now, it's possible we made them look that bad, but...

Posted by: lhayes (---.clsphila.org)
Date: March 24, 2010 04:46PM

It seemed to me last weekend that the boards in Albany were very rough and unpredictable -- the puck was often not where the guys expected it. The ice also seemed soft or something, contributing to passes being less crisp than they should have been. More practice with these conditions might help.

Posted by: judy (---.z190-90-67.customer.algx.net)
Date: March 24, 2010 05:02PM

lhayes
It seemed to me last weekend that the boards in Albany were very rough and unpredictable -- the puck was often not where the guys expected it. The ice also seemed soft or something, contributing to passes being less crisp than they should have been. More practice with these conditions might help.

It was also quite warm in Albany last weekend. In the rink was colder than outside but it was still pretty warm in the rink.

Date: March 24, 2010 05:13PM

Trotsky
KeithK

Not if they're twiddling their thumbs in the airport, hoping for the all-clear.

Date: March 24, 2010 05:29PM

lhayes
Sure the Pioneers could practice at home. But I'm sure they'd want to see how the ice surface plays since it's an unfamiliar building and has a reputation for funny bounces. On top of that, travelling late means you don't have time to shake off the strain of travelling (e.g. sitting in a plane seat for hours on end).

I doubt any of this will make much difference in the outcome this weekend. If Denver loses it will be because RIT or Cornell/UNH outplayed them (or got lucky), not because of today's snowstorm.

Posted by: ben03 (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: March 24, 2010 06:35PM

judy
lhayes

It was also quite warm in Albany last weekend. In the rink was colder than outside but it was still pretty warm in the rink.

i was going to ask the same question ... any thoughts about our experience on this ice just a week ago? how might this change the way UHN, DU and RIT will have to play? does this really equate to an advantage?

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: March 24, 2010 06:48PM

lhayes
It seemed to me last weekend that the boards in Albany were very rough and unpredictable -- the puck was often not where the guys expected it.
The boards in Albany are shitty; recall that one of Harvard's goals in the 2006 title game came from a Lynah bounce. (Can we still call it that now that it's been eliminated at Lynah?) Getting away from those boards is certainly one good thing about the Atlantic City move.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 24, 2010 06:57PM

Josh '99
lhayes
It seemed to me last weekend that the boards in Albany were very rough and unpredictable -- the puck was often not where the guys expected it.
The boards in Albany are shitty; recall that one of Harvard's goals in the 2006 title game came from a Lynah bounce. (Can we still call it that now that it's been eliminated at Lynah?) Getting away from those boards is certainly one good thing about the Atlantic City move.
Not until we see what that ice is like.

Date: March 24, 2010 07:00PM

ben03
judy
lhayes

i was going to ask the same question ... any thoughts about our experience on this ice just a week ago? how might this change the way UHN, DU and RIT will have to play? does this really equate to an advantage?
It's always an advantage to have played in the rink, but I doubt much of one here. The temp is going to be a lot cooler, so at least the rink temp should be more like hockey.

Posted by: sockralex (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: March 24, 2010 07:15PM

ugarte
Trotsky
KeithK

Not if they're twiddling their thumbs in the airport, hoping for the all-clear.

I think this could be an impact. There's a reason Denver is one of the choices for the Elf travel poll at the top - they don't travel much. They took a long trip to Alaska and Ohio early in the season for a couple of weekends and the rest were games along the Mississippi and west. My brother just got in from Denver at 4am today and that's because he left before the storm even hit - who knows how long it could take to dig out and get the airport running. Traveling isn't easy.

Now, I am obligated to cheer for RIT on Friday, so some of this may be more hope than reason.

As for UHN-Cornell. I don't know what to expect. There are good things going Cornell's way and good things going UHNs. What scares me the most is how amazing we played in January on their Olympic ice and if we can repeat that performance or get complacent. I think the regular rink will help us if we can lock down UHN on the transition - which we do really well (except when we played Colorado College).

Basically, if we bring December team, we are done. If we bring January 3rd team, we will do well. Only question is, what team will UHN bring? A team rusty from 2 weeks off or a healthy team eager to win again?

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 24, 2010 08:37PM

I'm a little surprised no one has brought this up yet.

Not looking past UHN or anything, but the last game Cornell played against Denver in the NCAA tournament Cornell won.

Posted by: mnagowski (---.bflony.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 24, 2010 09:56PM

Um, why does everybody misspell UNH?

Posted by: munchkin (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 24, 2010 09:57PM

mnagowski
Because they misspelled it with poster boards at one point years ago.

Date: March 24, 2010 09:59PM

mnagowski

Yeah, it's a long story that involves their own fans' inability to put their U-H-N signs in correct order. The story ends with them sucking and not deserving respect when being discussed in pregame discussion.

Posted by: Greenberg '97 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 24, 2010 10:02PM

sockralex
mnagowski

Yeah, it's a long story that involves their own fans' inability to put their U-H-N signs in correct order. The story ends with them sucking and not deserving respect when being discussed in pregame discussion.

Somewhere in the middle of the story is the tale of a goal that was waved off on a "high stick" that was clearly at waist level. But my toddler has torn those pages out of the book.

Posted by: ebilmes (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 24, 2010 10:21PM

Greenberg '97
sockralex
mnagowski

Somewhere in the middle of the story is the tale of a goal that was waved off on a "high stick" that was clearly at waist level. But my toddler has torn those pages out of the book.

The U-H-N was in Worcester in 2002. The questionable call was Buffalo in 2003.

Posted by: Larry72 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 24, 2010 10:24PM

In the 2003 Frozen Four semi-final game against UHN, Shane Palahicky scored the first goal during the first period on a shot deflection. The "ref" waived the goal off saying that Shane deflected the puck with a high stick. The "ref" was incorrect according to all the replays that followed that showed Shane's stick below the cross-bar as it deflected the puck. UHN went on to win the game 3-2. Every time, there is a deflection goal that looks just like Shane's I think back to that bad-call that very likely caused Cornell a shot at the NCAA championship game in 2003.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2010 10:25PM by Larry72.

Posted by: Greenberg '97 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 24, 2010 10:31PM

Larry72
In the 2003 Frozen Four semi-final game against UHN, Shane Palahicky scored the first goal during the first period on a shot deflection. The "ref" waived the goal off saying that Shane deflected the puck with a high stick. The "ref" was incorrect according to all the replays that followed that showed Shane's stick below the cross-bar as it deflected the puck. UHN went on to win the game 3-2. Every time, there is a deflection goal that looks just like Shane's I think back to that bad-call that very likely caused Cornell a shot at the NCAA championship game in 2003.

They even looked at replays for two or three minutes. We did not get replays in the arena, but I think ESPN was certain they were going to overturn the call. Apparently, it was conclusive to everyone but the ref.

In the postgame, Schafer was asked about that play, and he said something like, "What, you mean the goal?"

Date: March 24, 2010 10:55PM

Greenberg '97

They even looked at replays for two or three minutes. We did not get replays in the arena, but I think ESPN was certain they were going to overturn the call. Apparently, it was conclusive to everyone but the ref.

In the postgame, Schafer was asked about that play, and he said something like, "What, you mean the goal?"

I guess it's a good thing I can't find that clip on the YouTube. I am getting much more favorable clips of UHN vs Cornell when doing queries. Hopefully after Friday there'll be a couple more happy ones on there. :)

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 24, 2010 11:22PM

Greenberg '97
Larry72

Two or three minutes? Seemed more like 10 in the arena. I think that was the worst part of it, we had momentum then and the length of the review followed by the no goal call sucked everything out of the team for a little while. If the review had been brief I would've been OK with it, but taking forever made it over the top.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 24, 2010 11:23PM

Jim Hyla
Josh '99
lhayes
Not until we see what that ice is like.
Fair point.

Date: March 24, 2010 11:25PM

ebilmes
Greenberg '97
sockralex
mnagowski

For what it's worth, I'm told that the letters were out of order intentionally, though I can't remember the reason why. (I still think we should make fun of them, though.)

Posted by: munchkin (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 24, 2010 11:48PM

Josh '99
ebilmes
Greenberg '97
sockralex
mnagowski

For what it's worth, I'm told that the letters were out of order intentionally, though I can't remember the reason why. (I still think we should make fun of them, though.)
From the story I've heard is that's they were making fun of Maine fans who wouldn't know how to spell UNH, but that only works if the people on the other side understand that they're being mocked rather than just seeing 3 posters out of order.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: March 25, 2010 12:01AM

andyw2100
I'm a little surprised no one has brought this up yet.

Not looking past UHN or anything, but the last game Cornell played against Denver in the NCAA tournament Cornell won.

That was the last meeting between the 2 teams. It's a little tarnished that it was on the back end of a total goals series that Cornell lost, so it was a "lethal win."

The most recent Cornell advance to the NCAA title game was because of this win over Denver in 1972.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2010 12:06AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: FarEastLax (---.97.247.60.static.bjtelecom.net)
Date: March 25, 2010 05:03AM

I think the last thing we want to do is look past UNH to a potential second-round matchup with Denver.

Although we looked very good when we won at their place in January, UNH was coming off a long break, so there must have been some rust. The long 6 X 6 shift in their zone was very impressive for us, but the UNH coach highlighted it after the game and is no doubt reminding his players about it now. As if being in the NCAA tournament isn't motivation enough, UNH has some real incentive to play well against us to show they're a better team than the one we saw earlier. Also, they did win the Hockey East regular-season title this year, an impressive result in any season. And they've had an extra week off to rest and prepare.

We have the experience of having played them this year, so we know their team. And this time the teams will skate in a regular-sized rink which would seem to be to our advantage as well. Plus they took us out of the NCAA tournament in 2002 and 2003, so we also have some motivation.

This seems like it will be a very tough first-round game, and we'll need to play well to win. Unfortunately we are not in the same position as Miami; the Red Hawks can probably safely look past the baby Crimson to their regional-final game. We cannot. This may not be UNH's best NCAA tournament team in recent years, but the baby Crimson they are not.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2010 05:06AM by FarEastLax.

Re: UHN Pregame Thread (RIT and Denver too)
Date: March 25, 2010 08:42AM

USCHO Region Preview is up:
[www.uscho.com]

Posted by: Greenberg '97 (---.nyc.gov)
Date: March 25, 2010 08:53AM

KenP
[www.uscho.com]

There's got to be a T-shirt in this:

USCHO
Watching Cornell hockey is like watching a plant die of thirst: It’s slow, but it’s inevitable.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: March 25, 2010 09:03AM

Greenberg '97
KenP
[www.uscho.com]

There's got to be a T-shirt in this:

USCHO
Watching Cornell hockey is like watching a plant die of thirst: It’s slow, but it’s inevitable.
It's cute but doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Now if he'd said, "Watching Cornell hockey win is like watching a plant die of thirst: It’s slow, but it’s inevitable.", that I could take.

Posted by: cu722001 (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 25, 2010 09:19AM

Umile says UNH has a young team. They have a poor out of conference record because they've played some very tough teams, among which he did not mention Cornell. And most of those games were early when the team's youth really showed.

Schaefer says UNH is strong in transition while CU is strong inside the blue lines. Should be an game of contrasts. If Scrivens stays in the trance he's been in the last few games, that will be the difference.

Date: March 25, 2010 09:35AM

cu722001
Umile says UNH has a young team. They have a poor out of conference record because they've played some very tough teams, among which he did not mention Cornell. And most of those games were early when the team's youth really showed.

Schaefer says UNH is strong in transition while CU is strong inside the blue lines. Should be an game of contrasts. If Scrivens stays in the trance he's been in the last few games, that will be the difference.
If Scrivens continues his shutout streak through this weekend I will GUARANTEE a victory.

Posted by: FarEastLax (---.97.247.60.static.bjtelecom.net)
Date: March 25, 2010 09:52AM

What would the t-shirt say for the UAH Bâby Crimson? Perhaps "As Shocked To Be Here As You Are To See Us" would fit?

Date: March 25, 2010 09:54AM

KenP
cu722001

If Scrivens continues his shutout streak through this weekend I will GUARANTEE a victory.

Depends on how you look at it. In many places, his shutout streak has been noted in terms of cumulative minutes, in which case he could very well extend it without a Cornell victory. On the other hand, if he wants to post his 3rd straight shutout, I guess I'll sign up for that. :-D

Date: March 25, 2010 09:56AM

Jordan 04
KenP
cu722001

Depends on how you look at it. In many places, his shutout streak has been noted in terms of cumulative minutes, in which case he could very well extend it without a Cornell victory. On the other hand, if he wants to post his 3rd straight shutout, I guess I'll sign up for that. :-D
Hasn't he already done that? :-}

Date: March 25, 2010 09:58AM

Josh '99
Jordan 04
KenP
cu722001

Dammit you people are too quick! I was literally just checking USCHO because I was pretty sure I was wrong on the 3rd straight, and was just about to edit. I guess you're getting about as much work done today as I am :)

Posted by: judy (---.z190-90-67.customer.algx.net)
Date: March 25, 2010 10:12AM

Jordan 04
Josh '99
Jordan 04
KenP
cu722001

Dammit you people are too quick! I was literally just checking USCHO because I was pretty sure I was wrong on the 3rd straight, and was just about to edit. I guess you're getting about as much work done today as I am :)

Work? What's that?

Date: March 25, 2010 11:46AM

Jordan 04
Josh '99
Jordan 04
KenP
cu722001

What do you mean, "you people"? :-(

:-D

Date: March 25, 2010 12:44PM

Jordan 04
KenP
cu722001

Actually he was correct. He said through this weekend.

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: March 25, 2010 01:00PM

Jim Hyla
Jordan 04
KenP
cu722001

Actually he was correct. He said through this weekend.
How 'bout through the next three weekends? I'd be fine with that too.

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 25, 2010 01:35PM

KeithK

Let's not get greedy, and give the guy off the weekend in between.

Date: March 25, 2010 01:43PM

andyw2100
KeithK

Yeah, he can give up as many goals in practice as he likes.

Date: March 25, 2010 01:56PM

Jim Hyla
andyw2100
KeithK

Yeah, he can give up as many goals in practice as he likes.
But fo course. I'm hoping Scrivens will continue to be the immovable object but also hoping that the skaters can become the irresistible force.

Date: March 25, 2010 02:48PM

My biggest concern continues to be Cornell's ability to slow down the fast teams. It killed us against NoDak. It killed us against CoCo and Yale and Yale again. It killed us last year against Bemidji. I guess that's what the "Dream-Crushing, Soul-Devouring Juggernaut" slogan is all about. Hopefully we can execute.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (12.53.98.---)
Date: March 25, 2010 04:00PM

Josh '99
Jordan 04
Josh '99
Jordan 04
KenP
cu722001

What do you mean, "you people"? :-(

:-D

What do you mean, "you people?" wtf

Posted by: kozaczkies (---.hsd1.vt.comcast.net)
Date: March 25, 2010 04:40PM

Larry72

I still remember when we pulled LeNeveu for the extra skater and Bâby took a shot at a wide open net. At the last second, the UNH goalie popped his head up and blocked the shot with his fricken helmet.... ARGHHHH!!!

Looking forward to this game... not looking forward to the boring, monotonous U-N-H chant. Man, they need to change it up...

Date: March 25, 2010 04:45PM

kozaczkies
Larry72

I still remember when we pulled LeNeveu for the extra skater and Bâby took a shot at a wide open net. At the last second, the UNH goalie popped his head up and blocked the shot with his fricken helmet.... ARGHHHH!!!

Looking forward to this game... not looking forward to the boring, monotonous U-N-H chant. Man, they need to change it up...

Will never forget the Bâby face shot.

I guess I never sat back and thought about it, but Schafer's flawless first round record since the LSSU game is pretty impressive, especially considering the gnashing of teeth the last decade about being sent West, poor matchups, etc. Here's to that continuing!
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2010 04:47PM by Jordan 04.

Date: March 25, 2010 04:54PM

kozaczkies
Fans of other schools would probably say the same thing about "Let's go Red".

Date: March 25, 2010 05:11PM

Josh '99
kozaczkies

True, though we do spice it up a bit with other chants (and jeers). It just seemed all they had was U! N! H! and those stupid thunder stick things.

Maybe we should combat the U!-N!-H! chant with our own: L!-G!-R! :)

Posted by: adamw (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 25, 2010 05:36PM

As I wrote in the other thread ... with all the talk of Barry Melrose and his 1-game sample size to determine Cornell's greatness, and what with everyone in our CHN Bracket Contest picking Cornell, etc..... I thought a bit of agonizing history would be good ...most of which was touched on in this thread already ...

[www.collegehockeynews.com]

By the way, the Palahicky play was ruled a goal on the ice. They overturned it from looking at the replays. THAT's the part that's really the problem. I thought it was borderline. But to overturn it, that was quite tough to take.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2010 05:41PM by adamw.

Date: March 25, 2010 05:52PM

adamw
I thought a bit of agonizing history would be good ...most of which was touched on in this thread already ...

Yeah, too much bad karma and rehashing bad memories

Ahhhhhhhh... better now.

Posted by: ben03 (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: March 25, 2010 05:52PM

adamw
As I wrote in the other thread ... with all the talk of Barry Melrose and his 1-game sample size to determine Cornell's greatness, and what with everyone in our CHN Bracket Contest picking Cornell, etc..... I thought a bit of agonizing history would be good ...most of which was touched on in this thread already ...

[www.collegehockeynews.com]

By the way, the Palahicky play was ruled a goal on the ice. They overturned it from looking at the replays. THAT's the part that's really the problem. I thought it was borderline. But to overturn it, that was quite tough to take.

and IIRC Don Adam(?) - WCHA referee - can be heard saying, "I have no idea if it was a high stick" during one of the ice level clips.

Date: March 25, 2010 06:03PM

kozaczkies
adamw
I thought a bit of agonizing history would be good ...most of which was touched on in this thread already ...

Ahhhhhhhh... better now.
Cornell - Wisconsin was in the sidebar and I couldn't help myself! :-/

Date: March 25, 2010 08:15PM

kozaczkies
Josh '99
kozaczkies

True, though we do spice it up a bit with other chants (and jeers). It just seemed all they had was U! N! H! and those stupid thunder stick things.

Maybe we should combat the U!-N!-H! chant with our own: L!-G!-R! :)
Thunder sticks are lame.

Posted by: DL (124.95.37.---)
Date: March 25, 2010 09:33PM

munchkin
Josh '99
ebilmes
Greenberg '97
sockralex
mnagowski

From the story I've heard is that's they were making fun of Maine fans who wouldn't know how to spell UNH, but that only works if the people on the other side understand that they're being mocked rather than just seeing 3 posters out of order.

I just remember looking up towards the nosebleed section and seeing a gaggle of girls waving their cards around out of order and chanting. It didn't take long, but eventually a "UHN" chant got going. It took much, much longer for the girls to stop, look at their cards, then rearrange them.

Posted by: judy (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 25, 2010 10:22PM

DL
munchkin
Josh '99
ebilmes
Greenberg '97
sockralex
mnagowski

I just remember looking up towards the nosebleed section and seeing a gaggle of girls waving their cards around out of order and chanting. It didn't take long, but eventually a "UHN" chant got going. It took much, much longer for the girls to stop, look at their cards, then rearrange them.

Ugh. Silly/stupid girls make the rest of us look bad.

Posted by: Flyers1037 (---.hsd1.dc.comcast.net)
Date: March 26, 2010 12:15AM

ugarte
kozaczkies
adamw

Ahhhhhhhh... better now.
Cornell - Wisconsin was in the sidebar and I couldn't help myself! :-/

That game haunts me in my sleep...

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 26, 2010 12:26AM

Well, with hoops (sadly) finished for the season, it's time to fully shift attention to hockey. Looking forward to joining my fellow Faithful in Albany tomorrow night. I'm expecting a large and raucous Cornell crowd; let's make the selection committee look brilliant for keeping us East by having killer attendance!

Posted by: sockralex (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 26, 2010 12:36AM

scoop85
Well, with hoops (sadly) finished for the season, it's time to fully shift attention to hockey. Looking forward to joining my fellow Faithful in Albany tomorrow night. I'm expecting a large and raucous Cornell crowd; let's make the selection committee look brilliant for keeping us East by having killer attendance!

On TV it looked like Cornell support for basketball was fantastic. Let's match that and then some.

I don't want to see a dichotomy from last weekend. Hockey needs to win.

Posted by: Greenberg '97 (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 26, 2010 03:21AM

sockralex
On TV it looked like Cornell support for basketball was fantastic. Let's match that and then some.

It really was impressive. Unfortunately the UK and WVU sections were behind the court from the usual camera angle, but we owned the rest of the bowl. An elderly couple of UK fans commented to me that they've been traveling with the team for a long time, and have never been outnumbered like this, even in other teams' backyards.

I'm staying it Cortland, with a hotel room facing NY-281, and for about an hour after I got back I was watching the steady stream of southbound cars.

Now I have about 15 hours to recover my voice for Albany. SO glad I did the double dip.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: March 26, 2010 06:11AM

judy
DL
munchkin
Josh '99
ebilmes
Greenberg '97
sockralex
mnagowski

Ugh. Silly/stupid girls make the rest of us look bad.

Since that would mean silly/stupid guys make the rest of us look bad, you are hereby released from all guilt of association.

Posted by: upperdeck (128.253.162.---)
Date: March 26, 2010 09:42AM

the main problem was that the replay booth didnt overrule the goal either. the ref did it on his own.. never should have happened.

Posted by: Itheryn (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 26, 2010 03:10PM

Pretty goal for RIT.

Posted by: ajh258 (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 26, 2010 03:15PM

Itheryn
Pretty goal for RIT.

RIT is holding their own, but it looks like there's a lack discipline and maturity in the way they skate. Denver is not going to let this happen for all three periods and RIT still has a huge hill to climb before this game is over.

Posted by: mikek (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: March 26, 2010 04:26PM

RIT 1 - Denver 0 End of 2nd

Posted by: mikek (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: March 26, 2010 04:59PM

RIT shoots over a wide open net on a 2 on 0.... still 1-0 9:26 left

Posted by: ajh258 (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 26, 2010 05:05PM

RIT 2-0, 7 minutes left in the 3rd.

WOW

Posted by: pfibiger (---.179.103.97.cfl.res.rr.com)

RIT takes a 2-0 lead on a powerplay goal..now 7 minutes left in the game.

and now Denver goes on the PP

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2010 05:05PM by pfibiger.

Posted by: nyc94 (---.cable.mindspring.com)

RIT scores. 2-0.

Date: March 26, 2010 05:07PM

DU scores a PP goal. 2-1.

Date: March 26, 2010 05:16PM

Denver timeout. 1:10 remaining. Still 2-1 RIT.

Date: March 26, 2010 05:18PM

Hmm...Albany, near ENG, icing, 2-1 game, ~30 secs left ... Same script, different teams?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2010 05:21PM by Jordan 04.

Date: March 26, 2010 05:23PM

RIT wins.

Posted by: RedAndBlue'08 (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: March 26, 2010 05:23PM

tigers moving on. 2-1 final

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.rbccm.com)
Date: March 26, 2010 05:59PM

Unbelievable, great for their fans. This tourney humbles everyone eventually.

Posted by: Rita (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: March 26, 2010 06:02PM

RatushnyFan

Some more than once.

LGR!

Posted by: Roy 82 (128.18.14.---)
Date: March 26, 2010 06:05PM

RatushnyFan

Can a soul-devouring dream-crushing team be humble too? The stage is set. We just need to win.

Another fringe benfit: maybe those WCHA teams and their fans that were used to easing into the final four through local regionals have some new respect for how hard it is to win in someone else's backyard.

Date: March 26, 2010 06:06PM

Roy 82
RatushnyFan

Can a soul-devouring dream-crushing team be humble too? The stage is set. We just need to win.

Another fringe benfit: maybe those WCHA teams and their fans that were used to easing into the final four through local regionals have some new respect for how hard it is to win in someone else's backyard.

I don't know about respect but there was some whining on the USCHO live blog.

Posted by: French Rage (---.packetdesign.com)
Date: March 26, 2010 06:08PM

Roy 82
RatushnyFan

I would say that the most stinging types of soul devouring and dream crushing are the humble ones.

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.tmodns.net)
Date: March 26, 2010 06:13PM

It's always amusing to watch the top seed lose to the bottom seed.

Posted by: YankeeLobo (71.216.241.---)
Date: March 26, 2010 06:47PM

Does anyone have a streaming link to the game?

Posted by: nr53 (---.cisco.com)
Date: March 26, 2010 06:55PM

Posted by: Robb (---.105-92.cust.bluewin.ch)
Date: March 26, 2010 06:56PM

YankeeLobo
Does anyone have a streaming link to the game?
www.justin.tv

just search for "cornell" in the search box.

Posted by: hypotenuse (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 26, 2010 06:57PM

the play by play guy is moronic; the color guy keeps correcting or toning him down.

Date: March 26, 2010 07:21PM

based on the box score it looks like UNH already got their best shot in, with a shooting advantage of 14-4

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 26, 2010 07:23PM

hypotenuse
the play by play guy is moronic; the color guy keeps correcting or toning him down.

Doesn't it work the exact opposite way with this pair?

Date: March 26, 2010 07:24PM

YankeeLobo
based on the box score it looks like UNH already got their best shot in, with a shooting advantage of 14-4

The game is 60 minutes long.

Posted by: Pace (---.pppoe.mtu-net.ru)
Date: March 26, 2010 07:36PM

Does anyone know of any working streaming video, or at least audio, online?

Date: March 26, 2010 07:39PM

Pace

[www.justin.tv]

Posted by: Pace (---.pppoe.mtu-net.ru)
Date: March 26, 2010 07:46PM

Jordan 04
Pace

[www.justin.tv]

I love you

Posted by: mnagowski (---.bflony.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 26, 2010 07:49PM

Kyle Rose
It's always amusing to watch the top seed lose to the bottom seed.

I think there needs to be a caveat somewhere in there. Is it always?

Date: March 26, 2010 08:08PM

I think my woof cost us there.

Page:  1 2Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login