Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Dream-Crushing, Soul-Devouring Juggernaut Shirts

Posted by munchkin 
Page: Previous1 2 3Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Dream-Crushing, Soul-Devouring Juggernaut Shirts
Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: March 22, 2010 12:10PM

DL
FWIW, I care very much who originally said what and to that end would like to keep things closer to the original by nixing the "beware" and going with

"...the dream-crushers,

<BEAR>

...the soul-devouring juggernauts
of the league." -Brian Sullivan, USCHO
I agree with this, personally, but if the design is finalized then it's still awesome the way it is.

Posted by: munchkin (---.c3-0.sbo-ubr4.sbo.ma.cable.rcn.com)
Date: March 22, 2010 12:15PM

andyw2100
If PSP, the campus store, etc., are going to be making a profit off these I would hope that they either a) sell them to the eLynah community at cost, or at a big discount, or b) compensate Munchkin, Hockeychick, etc., for the time and effort they put in.

I realize that those of you who put in the effort were almost certainly doing so out of the goodness of your hearts, for the benefit of the eLynah community. But if the eLynah community is not going to benefit (in the form of reduced pricing) then you (the people who put in the effort) should.

Does that make sense?

So PSP has no control over the pricing, they were brought into partnership with the Cornell store so that quick printing, and up to the minute designs could be produced and gotten to the store very quickly.

To answer Andy's other question: Hockeychick470 and I, along with Brian, will receive any gear that gets printed with the design as compensation. For me, that's all I want since I would have purchased it anyway had we done a smaller eLynah only order. I know the university will benefit from it, and as a recipient of a huge amount of financial aid that's ok since I'll never be able to repay Cornell for what it gave me.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: March 22, 2010 12:27PM

Now the important question...Can I get one in XXXL?

Posted by: judy (---.z190-90-67.customer.algx.net)
Date: March 22, 2010 12:35PM

I hope the store can also redirect some of that money they're making off of this to the hockey team...

Posted by: Flyers1037 (---.northropgrumman.com)
Date: March 22, 2010 01:11PM

munchkin
andyw2100
If PSP, the campus store, etc., are going to be making a profit off these I would hope that they either a) sell them to the eLynah community at cost, or at a big discount, or b) compensate Munchkin, Hockeychick, etc., for the time and effort they put in.

I realize that those of you who put in the effort were almost certainly doing so out of the goodness of your hearts, for the benefit of the eLynah community. But if the eLynah community is not going to benefit (in the form of reduced pricing) then you (the people who put in the effort) should.

Does that make sense?

So PSP has no control over the pricing, they were brought into partnership with the Cornell store so that quick printing, and up to the minute designs could be produced and gotten to the store very quickly.

To answer Andy's other question: Hockeychick470 and I, along with Brian, will receive any gear that gets printed with the design as compensation. For me, that's all I want since I would have purchased it anyway had we done a smaller eLynah only order. I know the university will benefit from it, and as a recipient of a huge amount of financial aid that's ok since I'll never be able to repay Cornell for what it gave me.

That's great. I like the huggy bear, but it's a shame that it's not more of a unifying shirt for those of us on here every day (at work) in our off hours...

Posted by: statenaurora (---.syr.edu)
Date: March 22, 2010 01:31PM

Looks great!! Can it be made into a cheer now?

Posted by: Greenberg '97 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 22, 2010 01:32PM

munchkin

There is now an order form in the top message as well. Fill it out, and I'll let you know how much you owe once that is determined.

Am I missing something? I don't see the order form.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: March 22, 2010 01:38PM

The finalized design looks great. Thank you to everyone who made it happen, and so quickly!

Date: March 22, 2010 01:50PM

Greenberg '97
munchkin

There is now an order form in the top message as well. Fill it out, and I'll let you know how much you owe once that is determined.

Am I missing something? I don't see the order form.

Read further down, PSP took over printing and distribution through the Cornell store. This means easy ordering and no one (Jim Hyla because he graciously offered) fronting the money for a small order. As I stated earlier, these will be in production tomorrow.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: March 22, 2010 01:50PM

So, I think that 2 pages on eLynah with 108 posts in a little over 12 hours, speaks to great we feel about this. Congratulations. I'm actually happy that the U picked this up and that it might go far and wide. Feel very good about what you've done.

By the way, I'd guess you no longer need my credit card.bananaYes, I see the above post now.:-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2010 01:53PM by Jim Hyla.

Posted by: trainbow (---.MORRIS.upenn.edu)
Date: March 22, 2010 02:13PM

I did a Google search for "soul devouring."
In the Top Ten was, you guessed it ... this very thread on the Forum.
Right up there with Warcraft.
:-D

Posted by: slh10 (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 22, 2010 02:22PM

Will PSP be selling these from their store also?

Date: March 22, 2010 02:35PM

slh10

Nope, these will be sold through the Cornell store and the Cornell store's website. When they send out the e-mail blast about the new basketball merchandise, according to Jeff, this will be included. The entire approval process took less than 2.5 hours for the administration to sign on with it.

Posted by: mnagowski (---.cluster-g.websense.net)
Date: March 22, 2010 02:54PM

The entire approval process took less than 2.5 hours for the administration to sign on with it.

Take that, Big Red Tape!

Posted by: Rita (---.med.miami.edu)
Date: March 22, 2010 02:57PM

Excellent! Thanks again Hockeychick, munchkin and everyone else. The final design looks fantastic. banana

Date: March 22, 2010 02:58PM

mnagowski

The entire approval process took less than 2.5 hours for the administration to sign on with it.

Take that, Big Red Tape!

This involves money coming IN. I'm surprised it took as long as it did.

Posted by: heykb (131.249.80.---)
Date: March 22, 2010 04:28PM

OK, suppose I'm going to be in Albany on Friday but coming from Philadelphia...

As of 4:30 Monday, the shirts aren't available on the Store website. How do I get the shirts ordered and delivered to (either Phila or Albany) so that they can be worn Friday evening?

Note also that store says they are closing for inventory on Wednesday and won't process orders after 4:00 Tuesday. Nice timing, since there are two huge sporting events later in the week. Sigh.

If anyone has a connection with the Store, I'd just like to know how to finesse the timing.

Thanks,

Karl

Posted by: kaelistus (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: March 22, 2010 04:50PM

Kinda off topic. But the leaning bear is so much more soul-devouring than the Huggy bear.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.deploy.akamaitechnologies.com)
Date: March 22, 2010 05:04PM

kaelistus
Kinda off topic. But the leaning bear is so much more soul-devouring than the Huggy bear.
I actually really like Popeye Bear and Demon Bear even more than Smug Bear. Needless to say, they are all better than Huggy Bear.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2010 05:04PM by Kyle Rose.

Posted by: jkahn (---.73.146.216.biz.sta.networkgci.net)
Date: March 22, 2010 05:11PM

munchkin
slh10

Nope, these will be sold through the Cornell store and the Cornell store's website. When they send out the e-mail blast about the new basketball merchandise, according to Jeff, this will be included. The entire approval process took less than 2.5 hours for the administration to sign on with it.
A store representative should put about 500 of them in the trunk of a car and bring them to Albany. There will never be a better marketplace.

Date: March 22, 2010 05:17PM

jkahn
munchkin
slh10

A store representative should put about 500 of them in the trunk of a car and bring them to Albany. There will never be a better marketplace.

Only NC$$ licensed merchandise sold at NC$$ events. The only way they might get around it is to do it at some external location or to give them away like Quinny did a few years back.

Posted by: hockeychick470 (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 22, 2010 06:31PM

I'd just like to throw my two cents in once again (I work in a nursing home and don't have good computer access all day so this is the first chance I've had to read through the posts since last night, although I've kept in touch with Munchkin all day about the design/progress)

1) anyone who knows me knows that I LOVE the bear hanging out of the C logo.... so that just goes to make me all the more obsessed with the shirt... cheer

2) thanks for all the support/suggestions from you guys through this process... if it weren't for the interest here, i'm fairly confident the shirts wouldn't be as widely available as they are and thats AWESOME!!!!

3) I'd like to reiterate Munchkin's thanks to Jim for the offer to put up his card... as two poor recent grads, we couldn't have and having that offer would have simplified things GREATLY.

4) LETS GO RED!!!

5) I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE THESE SHIRTS!!!!!!!!!

6) as far as the compenstaion goes... I'm thrilled to be getting a free shirt (or whatever ends up being printed), and hoestly love of Cornell/Hockey would have done it, although being able to tell all my friends to go to the campus store and buy the shirt Munchkin and I designed is kinda cool...

Posted by: mnagowski (---.bflony.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 22, 2010 08:39PM

Kyle Rose
kaelistus
I actually really like Popeye Bear and Demon Bear even more than Smug Bear. Needless to say, they are all better than Huggy Bear.

Speaking of all these bears, does the University even use the leaning bear as a symbol any more?

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 22, 2010 08:50PM

hockeychick470
I'd just like to throw my two cents in once again (I work in a nursing home and don't have good computer access all day so this is the first chance I've had to read through the posts since last night, although I've kept in touch with Munchkin all day about the design/progress)

1) anyone who knows me knows that I LOVE the bear hanging out of the C logo.... so that just goes to make me all the more obsessed with the shirt... cheer

2) thanks for all the support/suggestions from you guys through this process... if it weren't for the interest here, i'm fairly confident the shirts wouldn't be as widely available as they are and thats AWESOME!!!!

3) I'd like to reiterate Munchkin's thanks to Jim for the offer to put up his card... as two poor recent grads, we couldn't have and having that offer would have simplified things GREATLY.

4) LETS GO RED!!!

6) as far as the compenstaion goes... I'm thrilled to be getting a free shirt (or whatever ends up being printed), and hoestly love of Cornell/Hockey would have done it, although being able to tell all my friends to go to the campus store and buy the shirt Munchkin and I designed is kinda cool...

No, it's very cool. Good work. By the way are we going to be able to get one, gratis, to Brian Sullivan?

Date: March 22, 2010 08:58PM

Jim Hyla
hockeychick470

4) LETS GO RED!!!

No, it's very cool. Good work. By the way are we going to be able to get one, gratis, to Brian Sullivan?

Yes we will be able to get stuff free to him. Jeff will send to him directly, but even if he didn't I live less than 15 minutes walking from him. He and I are friends and see each other on a fairly regular basis.

Posted by: cth95 (---.hsd1.vt.comcast.net)
Date: March 22, 2010 09:44PM

Great job guys! I actually like this logo the best, but I didn't know you would end up getting access to it. It is amazing how this took off.

Posted by: mikek (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: March 22, 2010 10:12PM

Don't log on for 24 hours and look what I miss. I will definitely be getting one of these!

Are they up on the Cornell Store website yet? Is there a link posted anywhere?

Posted by: Roy 82 (128.18.14.---)
Date: March 22, 2010 10:23PM

Brian Sullivan
Is it a quote? I'm not about to make this a legal matter of course - I am, as they say, just honored to be here - but the phrase was undeniably my creation. For the record, USCHO does pay me. Not much, of course, but I am compensated for my work ... and yes, my paycheck is worth more than a t-shirt. It would cover at least two, I think. ;)

For whatever it may ultimately be worth, I'd prefer/request some sort of attribution to the phrase, whether it be myself or USCHO. I don't care if it's in 0.2-size font that flakes off at the first sign of humidity; it's a matter of principle and it's about what's right.

I would argue that without the attribution to Brian or USCHO, the phrase doesn't have as much umph. It is the very fact that a non-Cornell reporter penned this phrase that is exciting. If the Cornell Athletic Department or some fans came up with it then we would likely think that it was kind of embarrassing. You can't pat yourself on the back.

Anyway, the point appears to be moot since we all agree.

Date: March 22, 2010 10:41PM

mikek
Don't log on for 24 hours and look what I miss. I will definitely be getting one of these!

Are they up on the Cornell Store website yet? Is there a link posted anywhere?

As soon as they're up in the Cornell store I will make sure the whole world knows as will Hockeychick. This is our legacy for Cornell hockey (thus far, but we're only 22 and 23). They're going into production Tuesday morning.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 22, 2010 11:03PM

Roy 82
Brian Sullivan
Is it a quote? I'm not about to make this a legal matter of course - I am, as they say, just honored to be here - but the phrase was undeniably my creation. For the record, USCHO does pay me. Not much, of course, but I am compensated for my work ... and yes, my paycheck is worth more than a t-shirt. It would cover at least two, I think. ;)

For whatever it may ultimately be worth, I'd prefer/request some sort of attribution to the phrase, whether it be myself or USCHO. I don't care if it's in 0.2-size font that flakes off at the first sign of humidity; it's a matter of principle and it's about what's right.

I would argue that without the attribution to Brian or USCHO, the phrase doesn't have as much umph. It is the very fact that a non-Cornell reporter penned this phrase that is exciting. If the Cornell Athletic Department or some fans came up with it then we would likely think that it was kind of embarrassing. You can't pat yourself on the back.

Anyway, the point appears to be moot since we all agree.
Exactly - like the Vladivostok quote.

Posted by: ansky629 (---.wireless.umnet.umich.edu)
Date: March 23, 2010 02:48AM

I'm interested in the shirt as well. Please let me know when/where to order. Thanks, very cool.

Date: March 23, 2010 09:13AM

Ladies and Gents, this is the e-mail that I got from Jeff at PSP this morning:

The Store people have kept eyes on elynah and aware of interest. They pulled in a web guy yesterday for ECAC champs and Sweet Sixteen stuff online on his day off and he already gone by time we had wrapped this project.

I don't have exact time...will let you know as soon as I do....when shirts will be available to buy. Most likely in couple hours.

We are busting it out on press as soon as product comes in on UPS. Lightning fast turn.

Store would like to accomodate shipping as many orders out today as they can even with the hundreds of ready placed orders for Sweet 16 (arrivng shortly) & ECAC stuff I dropped off at 8 am today. First placed first shipped.

Posted by: profudge (---.bluebird.ibm.com)
Date: March 23, 2010 09:41AM

Thank you munchkin and team - your efforts are very much appreciated.
I too will buy 4 shirts at least - make great gifts!
Just point us where to go to Order when it's available and the rush will be on - cheer

Date: March 23, 2010 09:54AM

Posted by: Greenberg '97 (---.nyc.gov)
Date: March 23, 2010 09:55AM

Shirts are up. $14.99 each + tax and shipping.

[csop.cbs.cornell.edu]

(Looks like I was beaten, properly, by munchkin)
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2010 09:58AM by Greenberg '97.

Date: March 23, 2010 09:55AM

Wonders if we'll crash their servers... or am I overly optimistic?

Posted by: releck97 (170.158.3.---)
Date: March 23, 2010 10:05AM

Not in the physical store yet. I was told it will be a couple of hours and to check back.

Date: March 23, 2010 10:17AM

Very nice. There's also a Sweet 16 bracket shirt for hoops and an ECAC title shirt in already. Very fast work!

Posted by: ithacat (---.cbs.cornell.edu)
Date: March 23, 2010 10:26AM

releck97
Not in the physical store yet. I was told it will be a couple of hours and to check back.

Maybe that means a couple of hours from Jeff's email to Munchkin -- it could make it around 11:00...I was told they're going to have some shirts available at their Statler and Sage locations on Wednesday.

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: March 23, 2010 10:27AM

munchkin
Ladies and Gents, this is the e-mail that I got from Jeff at PSP this morning:

The Store people have kept eyes on elynah and aware of interest. They pulled in a web guy yesterday for ECAC champs and Sweet Sixteen stuff online on his day off and he already gone by time we had wrapped this project.

I don't have exact time...will let you know as soon as I do....when shirts will be available to buy. Most likely in couple hours.

We are busting it out on press as soon as product comes in on UPS. Lightning fast turn.

Store would like to accomodate shipping as many orders out today as they can even with the hundreds of ready placed orders for Sweet 16 (arrivng shortly) & ECAC stuff I dropped off at 8 am today. First placed first shipped.

Given my travel schedule this week, I won't be able to get one before Friday.

Date: March 23, 2010 10:37AM

ithacat
releck97

Maybe that means a couple of hours from Jeff's email to Munchkin -- it could make it around 11:00...I was told they're going to have some shirts available at their Statler and Sage locations on Wednesday.

Aren't the stores closed on Wednesday for inventory?

Date: March 23, 2010 10:41AM

releck97
ithacat
releck97

Just the main store.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: March 23, 2010 11:30AM

Not even 36 hours from starting the discussion to having a product available for ordering from the Cornell Store - incredible work!

Any chance we could crowd-source (ugh, I hate that term but it seems to have caught on) some demand for more fitted caps? I love the Zephyr hat I bought a few years ago but I don't think it's going to last forever.

Date: March 23, 2010 12:06PM

ithacat
releck97
ithacat
releck97

Just the main store.
Thanks, good to know!

Posted by: Jordan 04 (155.72.24.---)
Date: March 23, 2010 12:10PM

Nice shirt. How big is the text on the front?

Posted by: French Rage (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: March 23, 2010 12:11PM

Ordered, hope it makes it in time for Friday's game!

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Date: March 23, 2010 12:12PM

Jordan 04
Nice shirt. How big is the text on the front?

Think the size of the Lynah Faithful logo, takes up the whole chest area.

Date: March 23, 2010 01:04PM

They're in the store...literally still warm (nice). Someone beat me to the first one.

Date: March 23, 2010 01:21PM

ithacat
They're in the store...literally still warm (nice). Someone beat me to the first one.

PICTURE, I WANT TO SEE A PICTURE!!!!!!

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: March 23, 2010 01:34PM

I ordered, but we should cme up with a way to give one to each player at the CHA Banquet. Maybe their parents already did?

Posted by: bas23 (---.bursar.cornell.edu)
Date: March 23, 2010 02:15PM

Picture. Apologies for the quality, my camera phone is fairly awful.

Date: March 23, 2010 02:17PM

bas23
Picture. Apologies for the quality, my camera phone is fairly awful.
Yay! Can't wait to start wearing mine once it shows up.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: March 23, 2010 02:39PM

Fantastic, just fantastic! I've got an agent picking up a couple for me right now. I am so impressed with how quickly this came together - we're going to have the shirts for the regionals, and that's just INSANE!

Great job, you know who you are. banana

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: hockeychick470 (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: March 23, 2010 04:00PM

So I just noticed that our shirt is on the front page of the store's website!

Posted by: ben03 (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: March 23, 2010 04:14PM

these look great ... one favor to anyone who already has one: can you check the shirt material tag for cotton content and whether they are preshrunk? true to size etc ...

i'm always end up between a medium and large and I want to make sure to order the correct size.

thanks for all your hard work ... cheers from California!

LGR!

Posted by: bas23 (---.bursar.cornell.edu)
Date: March 23, 2010 04:23PM

ben03
these look great ... one favor to anyone who already has one: can you check the shirt material tag for cotton content and whether they are preshrunk? true to size etc ...

i'm always end up between a medium and large and I want to make sure to order the correct size.

LGR!

Gildan Ultra Cotton, 100% Cotton Preshrunk, made in Nicaragua (in case that matters).

Posted by: JasonN95 (---.nyc.deshaw.com)
Date: March 23, 2010 05:15PM

bas23
ben03

LGR!

Gildan Ultra Cotton, 100% Cotton Preshrunk, made in Nicaragua (in case that matters).

From the few times I've ordered custom silk screen shirts, the shop I've used has said that Gildan Ultra Cotton are comparable to Hanes Beefy-Tees, if that helps.

Posted by: ben03 (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: March 23, 2010 05:36PM

JasonN95
bas23
ben03

LGR!

From the few times I've ordered custom silk screen shirts, the shop I've used has said that Gildan Ultra Cotton are comparable to Hanes Beefy-Tees, if that helps.

thanks for the feedback!

Date: March 23, 2010 06:15PM

Has anyone received confirmation that orders placed online this morning will ship before the store closes for inventory tonight?

Posted by: French Rage (---.packetdesign.com)
Date: March 23, 2010 06:50PM

Our next goal: get Ed Helms to wear it on "The Office".

Posted by: cmoberg (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: March 23, 2010 06:57PM

I received a UPS ship notice earlier this afternoon for an order placed this morning.

Posted by: nr53 (---.cisco.com)
Date: March 23, 2010 07:15PM

What sort of shipping did you use? I bought some this morning too but I haven't gotten any notice yet.

Date: March 23, 2010 07:20PM

nr53
What sort of shipping did you use? I bought some this morning too but I haven't gotten any notice yet.

Same here, and I paid for express shipping.

Date: March 23, 2010 08:15PM

When I ordered I had a wrong expiration month, they called me at mid-afternoon and when I gave them my number, they said the truck was there right then and taking all AM orders. You can hope.

Date: March 23, 2010 08:20PM

Jim Hyla
When I ordered I had a wrong expiration month, they called me at mid-afternoon and when I gave them my number, they said the truck was there right then and taking all AM orders. You can hope.

Yep, I can hope. Hope for reason to wear it in Detroit.

Did you get a UPS shipment email?

Date: March 23, 2010 08:25PM

Greenberg '97
Jim Hyla

Yep, I can hope. Hope for reason to wear it in Detroit.

Did you get a UPS shipment email?
No.

Date: March 23, 2010 08:28PM

Well that settles it, then. Cornell has to win this weekend, for the sake of munchkin's (et al) efforts.

Posted by: Rita (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: March 23, 2010 08:33PM

Just ordered 2 Juggernaut t-shirts (one for my FF buddy Kim and one for me) and a ECAC championship sweatshirt! I have been thinking about getting another sweatshirt, glad I waited so I could have "Champions" on it B-].

I also told my former Cornell hockey buddy about the shirt, and he went to the campus store and bought one today.

Date: March 23, 2010 08:38PM

Greenberg '97
Well that settles it, then. Cornell has to win this weekend, for the sake of munchkin's (et al) efforts.
I'll be wearing mine in Detroit whether we win or not, I'm just hoping that we do.

Ithaca Journal screws up the story
Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 23, 2010 08:51PM

The Ithaca Journal has picked up the story without giving any credit whatsoever to our elf heroines.

Liz Lawyer
A week ago, a college hockey writer called the Cornell men's hockey team "dream-crushers" and "soul-devouring juggernauts."

Later this week, thanks to a rush printing by Ithaca company PSP Unlimited, fans of the team can wear the quote by Brian Sullivan from uscho.com on a T-shirt to the NCAA tournament.

Jeff Frey, lead sales director at PSP Unlimited, said Tuesday, "(Last weekend) we were already talking about T-shirts. We called yesterday and ... got approval to use a portion of the quote. That product has now been created. It's been put online, and it's going out our door in 10 minutes. Fans can wear them when they go to the game in Albany."

Perhaps this should be cross-posted on the JSID free food thread, but late on the story there is a list of ways that local merchants are celebrating/trying to cash in Cornell's success of the weekend.

Meanwhile, Ithaca businesses are celebrating the Cornell's men's basketball team's advancement to the Sweet 16 with discounts for students. "Revenge of the Nerds" discounts include:

* A free drink at Felicia's Atomic Lounge for anyone who can solve a Rubik's Cube in less than three minutes.

* Discounts at Maxie's Supper Club for students who bring their grades -- a 4.0 GPA will get 40 percent off, 3.0 will get 30 percent, and 2.0 will get 20 percent.

* Free dining for Nobel laureates during Sweet 16 week at The Boatyard Grill, half price for Pulitzer Prize winners; to claim discount, bring prize medallion.

* A free macchiato for card-bearing Mensa members at Gimme! Coffee.

* Half-price entrees at Max's Classic American Grill & Sports Bar for customers wearing nerdy Buddy Holly glasses.

* Sweet $16 and Great $8 room rates in anticipation of the next round at La Tourelle Resort & Spa and the Ithaca Downtown Holiday Inn for Cornell alumni and families of current students, limited to the first 16 customers March 25 and the first eight March 28.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2010 08:53PM by David Harding.

Re: Ithaca Journal screws up the story
Date: March 23, 2010 09:03PM

David Harding
The Ithaca Journal has picked up the story without giving any credit whatsoever to our elf heroines.

Liz Lawyer
A week ago, a college hockey writer called the Cornell men's hockey team "dream-crushers" and "soul-devouring juggernauts."

Later this week, thanks to a rush printing by Ithaca company PSP Unlimited, fans of the team can wear the quote by Brian Sullivan from uscho.com on a T-shirt to the NCAA tournament.

Jeff Frey, lead sales director at PSP Unlimited, said Tuesday, "(Last weekend) we were already talking about T-shirts. We called yesterday and ... got approval to use a portion of the quote. That product has now been created. It's been put online, and it's going out our door in 10 minutes. Fans can wear them when they go to the game in Albany."
Terrible, I can't believe no one got mentioned. It sounds like PSP is the hero.

Date: March 23, 2010 09:05PM

Jim Hyla
David Harding

Liz Lawyer

Agreed. Jeff was thanking me excessively on the phone for eLynah folks doing all the design leg work so that all he had to do was order red shirts and print them.

Date: March 23, 2010 09:11PM

munchkin
Jim Hyla
David Harding

Liz Lawyer

Agreed. Jeff was thanking me excessively on the phone for eLynah folks doing all the design leg work so that all he had to do was order red shirts and print them.
Well, I'm thanking you publicly and again. Shout it far and wide.

Date: March 23, 2010 09:12PM

we also don't know what Jeff said vs what IJ put in the article... oh well.

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 23, 2010 09:16PM

I have e-mailed the writer pointing out that she missed the most interesting angle of the story and referring her to this thread.

Date: March 23, 2010 09:20PM

David Harding
I have e-mailed the writer pointing out that she missed the most interesting angle of the story and referring her to this thread.
Much appreciated.

Posted by: sockralex (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: March 23, 2010 09:21PM

I am guessing that where they put "..." was the meat of the quote. "We called yesterday and [some very intrepid Lynah Faithful did a lot of legwork, then we] got approval to use a portion of the quote."

Posted by: Flyers1037 (---.hsd1.dc.comcast.net)
Date: March 23, 2010 09:41PM

I've pointed all my friends to this thread as the origin. Definitely you guys doing the bulk of the lifting to get it done. I'm just happy to have the shirts. Even if Cornell is sticking it to me again on the shipping costs... flipd

Thanks again for doing this!

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: March 23, 2010 10:25PM

French Rage

Oh God. That is a mission! :-)

(Even though The Office sucks ass now.)

Posted by: Flyers1037 (---.hsd1.dc.comcast.net)
Date: March 23, 2010 11:17PM

Trotsky
French Rage

Can we just send the producers one? Longshot, but it might work...

Date: March 23, 2010 11:21PM

Flyers1037
Trotsky
French Rage

Do we know who the producers are to send them one? As much as it's a long shot I would LOVE to see it happen.

Posted by: hugel (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 23, 2010 11:45PM

munchkin
Flyers1037
Trotsky
French Rage

Do we know who the producers are to send them one? As much as it's a long shot I would LOVE to see it happen.

well they could have Andy take Erin to Lynah on a date when he goes back to campus for some sort of reunion for his acapella group...

Date: March 24, 2010 12:09AM

munchkin
Jim Hyla
David Harding

Liz Lawyer

But the people who really matter in terms of fandom know!

Also, I will name my children munchkin and hockeychick in your alls' honor.

Date: March 24, 2010 12:26AM

French Rage
munchkin
Jim Hyla
David Harding

Liz Lawyer

It'd be ok if you gave them real (read as common) names and just used our handles as nicknames. Or you could just use our actual names, I'll share mine: Meli. I'll let Hockeychick reveal herself should she want to have a child named in her honor.

Date: March 24, 2010 12:29AM

munchkin
French Rage
munchkin
Jim Hyla
David Harding

Liz Lawyer

It'd be ok if you gave them real (read as common) names and just used our handles as nicknames. Or you could just use our actual names, I'll share mine: Meli. I'll let Hockeychick reveal herself should she want to have a child named in her honor.

No, it's screennames as their real names or nothing!

Date: March 24, 2010 12:47AM

French Rage
munchkin
French Rage
munchkin
Jim Hyla
David Harding

Liz Lawyer

I hope you have a very forgiving spouse.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: March 24, 2010 08:15AM

French Rage

Wait, everybody hasn't had their names legally changed to their screen names??? uhoh

Date: March 24, 2010 08:18AM

Trotsky
Wait, everybody hasn't had their names legally changed to their screen names???

not legally but as a screen name thats been with me since I was a freshman in HS that I use for just about everything.... sometimes it feels like it.

Date: March 24, 2010 08:20AM

Trotsky
French Rage

Wait, everybody hasn't had their names legally changed to their screen names??? uhoh

I have. popcorn

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 24, 2010 09:08AM

French Rage

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 24, 2010 09:20AM

munchkin
French Rage
munchkin
Jim Hyla
David Harding

Liz Lawyer

If it works better, you can go with her full name, which is Melvin.

Date: March 24, 2010 09:36AM

Jeff Hopkins '82
Trotsky
French Rage

I have. popcorn

Me too cheer

Posted by: Brian Sullivan (---.bstnma.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 24, 2010 09:42AM

David Harding
As did I, actually. It's the speed and the viral nature of the process that has me so fascinated!

Posted by: Rita (---.med.miami.edu)
Date: March 24, 2010 09:45AM

judy
Jeff Hopkins '82
Trotsky
French Rage

I have. popcorn

Me too cheer

Ditto, though in hindsight, maybe I should have picked a more popular name like Sophia. :-P

Posted by: Greenberg '97 (---.nyc.gov)
Date: March 24, 2010 10:13AM

Brian Sullivan
David Harding
As did I, actually. It's the speed and the viral nature of the process that has me so fascinated!

And speaking of speed and viral nature... my shirts arrived THIS MORNING by UPS next day air. My wife says they look great. Our tickets are also being delivered today, so expect to see two of us wearing them in Section 120 on Friday and Saturday.

So apparently the lack of a shipping email is nothing to worry about. banana

Date: March 24, 2010 10:20AM

Rita
maybe I should have picked a more popular name like Sophia. :-P

I'm sure that list reshuffles every time a Nora Roberts novel comes out.

Posted by: drs48 (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: March 24, 2010 10:26AM

....ordered mine....LGR!!!!

Date: March 24, 2010 10:58AM

Picked up six shirts at Statler store today! LGR!!!

Posted by: ugarte (---.z75-46-65.customer.algx.net)
Date: March 24, 2010 11:07AM

David Harding

Meanwhile, Ithaca businesses are celebrating the Cornell's men's basketball team's advancement to the Sweet 16 with discounts for students. "Revenge of the Nerds" discounts include:...
* Half-price entrees at Max's Classic American Grill & Sports Bar for customers wearing nerdy Buddy Holly glasses.
If Max's tried that in Williamsburg they'd be bankrupt before the end of the dinner rush.

Posted by: ugarte (---.z75-46-65.customer.algx.net)
Date: March 24, 2010 11:10AM

Jeff Hopkins '82
Trotsky
French Rage

I have. popcorn
It probably wasn't the weirdest thing they've ever seen at City Hall, but adding '82 on a name change application was probably a unique touch.

Page: Previous1 2 3Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login