Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell vs. Union

Posted by scoop85 
Cornell vs. Union
Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 20, 2010 08:10AM

I went back for the last two periods of Union-St. Lawrence. Best atmosphere I've seen in that building since Cornell-Harvard in 2005. Union is solid and will be a worthy opponent. The Union fans were in great form last night, and the Cornell crowd will need to be more cohesive than yesterday afternoon to match the Union contingent's enthusiasm.

It's past time for us to win this tournament. LET'S GO RED!

Re: Cornell vs. Union
Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 20, 2010 09:29AM

scoop85
I went back for the last two periods of Union-St. Lawrence. Best atmosphere I've seen in that building since Cornell-Harvard in 2005. Union is solid and will be a worthy opponent. The Union fans were in great form last night, and the Cornell crowd will need to be more cohesive than yesterday afternoon to match the Union contingent's enthusiasm.

Our band will help against their no band.:-}

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 20, 2010 12:18PM

Jim Hyla
scoop85

Be kind. Maybe the Union band is small and so they went with the NCAA hoops tourney instead?

Date: March 20, 2010 03:06PM

billhoward
Jim Hyla
scoop85

Be kind. Maybe the Union band is small and so they went with the NCAA hoops tourney instead?
Or maybe like Harvard they went on break. (Didn't care enough to stay.)

Posted by: Flyers1037 (---.northropgrumman.com)
Date: March 20, 2010 04:05PM

Jim Hyla
billhoward
Jim Hyla
scoop85

Or maybe like Harvard they went on break. (Didn't care enough to stay.)

Not only does Union not have a band, their AD is hostile towards visiting bands...wank not like our band has ever done anything to draw the ire of opposing ADs... whistle

Posted by: schoaff (---.endlessloopsoftware.com)
Date: March 20, 2010 07:33PM

If anyone is looking for a way to listen to this, it's available at

[www.teamline.cc]

Posted by: dag14 (---.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: March 20, 2010 07:38PM

Cornell up 1-0; ppg by Devin [Mike I think] not Mike; Joe
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2010 07:41PM by dag14.

Date: March 20, 2010 08:30PM

2-0 Whitney ppg with 2:35 left in the 2nd. Scrivens also broke his own record for consecutive shutout minutes a while ago.

Posted by: nyc94 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 20, 2010 08:38PM

dag14
Scrivens also broke his own record for consecutive shutout minutes a while ago.

I was working the math on that but hoping nobody would mention it. I'm superstitious like that.

Date: March 20, 2010 08:40PM

Too late; Jason let the cat out of the bag for all to hear....

Posted by: schoaff (---.endlessloopsoftware.com)
Date: March 20, 2010 08:43PM

To rephrase it slightly, Cornell's allowed 1 goal in March

Posted by: nyc94 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 20, 2010 08:47PM

dag14
Too late; Jason let the cat out of the bag for all to hear....

In that case, the live bloggers at USCHO say that no goalie has ever had two shutouts in the ECAC championship weekend.

Posted by: kingpin248 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 20, 2010 09:22PM

ENG! 3-0!! There's the horn...Cornell wins the ECAC championship!

Date: March 20, 2010 09:24PM

And Scrivens breaks McKee's shutout record in spite of all the chatter.

Posted by: ansky629 (---.wireless.umnet.umich.edu)
Date: March 20, 2010 09:42PM

As far as I can tell, it looks like our bracket will be Denver, us, Northern Michigan, and RIT - probably in Albany.

Posted by: shand35 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 20, 2010 09:43PM

Who scored the ENG?

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 20, 2010 09:47PM

shand35
Who scored the ENG?
Looked like P. Kennedy. Shot went the length of the ice from the corner to Scrivens's left. I'm guessing he was just trying to get it out of the zone.

Posted by: RedAR (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 20, 2010 09:48PM

If I'm not mistaken, I think Cornell won the ECAC's when the championships first moved to Albany. So, a fitting end to an era, winning the last ECAC's in Albany. Of course, feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken.

Date: March 20, 2010 09:50PM

Al DeFlorio
shand35
Who scored the ENG?
Looked like P. Kennedy. Shot went the length of the ice from the corner to Scrivens's left. I'm guessing he was just trying to get it out of the zone.

Indeed, it was P. Kennedy.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 20, 2010 09:53PM

RedAR
If I'm not mistaken, I think Cornell won the ECAC's when the championships first moved to Albany. So, a fitting end to an era, winning the last ECAC's in Albany. Of course, feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken.

You are correct. 2003. In what to me still has to be probably the most incredible game ever :).

Date: March 20, 2010 09:56PM

DeltaOne81
RedAR

You are correct. 2003. In what to me still has to be probably the most incredible game ever :).

Agreed. Even seven years later, still the most memorable sports event I've attended in person.

Relive Sam Paolini's winner; thanks to Josh '99 for uploading this.

Posted by: Sperris (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 20, 2010 10:05PM

Wow, thanks for the link. That game was one of my favorites.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.tvc-ip.com)
Date: March 20, 2010 10:18PM

kingpin248
DeltaOne81
RedAR

Agreed. Even seven years later, still the most memorable sports event I've attended in person.

Relive Sam Paolini's winner; thanks to Josh '99 for uploading this.
You're welcome. :-D

Posted by: Robb (---.tvc-ip.com)
Date: March 20, 2010 10:19PM

Al DeFlorio
shand35
Who scored the ENG?
I was sitting about 6 rows up. PKen definitely collected the puck along the half wall, looked up toward the empty net, paused, and then saucered it up deliberately toward the goal. It covered the entire neutral zone in the air, bouncing only a couple of times before entering the net. To me, it looked like an intentional shot all the way.

Edit: now that's what I call a "soul devouring juggernaut." 2 PPGs and lights out defense. Union only had a few good chances on net all night, and most of those were in desperation time at the end of the game. During the 2nd half of the 3rd, Cornell had several long stretches of possession in the Union end that were slightly reminiscent of The Shift (vs. UNH). It wasn't quite men against boys, but a clearly dominant win for Cornell.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2010 10:25PM by Robb.

Posted by: Lowell '99 (---.c3-0.nmex-ubr2.lnh-nmex.md.cable.rcn.com)
Date: March 20, 2010 11:07PM

And as I always say when this game comes up, it was really the Mark McRae end-to-end, weaving-through-the-entire-Harvard-team goal near the end of regulation that was actually more impressive. Of course, I say this with no disrespect to Sam "Harvard Killer" Paolini.

Posted by: judy (---.z190-90-67.customer.algx.net)
Date: March 20, 2010 11:27PM

And that was an excellent game and an excellent way to enter our birthdays. Happy birthday, DeltaOne!

Posted by: Drew (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 20, 2010 11:37PM

Congrats! Good luck in the NCAA's
Cheers!
Drew

Posted by: margolism (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 20, 2010 11:39PM

After tonight's game, Scrivens now leads all goalies in GAA, Save Percentage, and shutouts.

Posted by: redice (---.sub-75-194-79.myvzw.com)
Date: March 21, 2010 12:22AM

I've been attending ECAC tournaments since the mid-60's. That was one of the most dominating tournament performances by Cornell that I can recall....In the first period of the semifinal game, Brown had some hope. The subsequent five periods of hockey were absolutely lights out in Cornell's favor. Nice job guys!!

-Ned Harkness

Posted by: dbilmes (69.183.41.---)
Date: March 21, 2010 12:24AM

This has to be as dominating a league postseason as any team and goalie has had. In four games, we never trailed and gave up just one goal (in the first period of the first game). As Scrivens said after Friday's game, "kudos" to the Big Red!

Posted by: imafrshmn (---.resnet.stonybrook.edu)
Date: March 21, 2010 01:08AM

Scrivens's continuous shutout time is now an ECAC record, according to the USCHO article by that Klump character, surpassing Mark "Dexshow" Dekanich, who was one of our favorite sieves to heckle from section A during my time.

Date: March 21, 2010 04:44AM

The IJ has a nice photo of Whitney scoring.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 21, 2010 08:12AM

Tremendous overall team performance. While perhaps we were fortunate in avoiding Yale, I don't know if it would have mattered with the relentless and disciplined effort.

While Greening, Nash and Gallagher have raised their games to even higher levels, and Scrivens (although not severly tested last night) has developed beyond my wildest expectations -- the key to me with this team's growth is the improvement of the "secondary" players such as Roessler, Jillson, Esposito and Collins. We simply have better scoring balance than the past few years.

I was also a leader of the Whitney bandwagon last year, and while he sometimes is a little scary with the puck, I think he will be all-ECAC before he's through. Add D'agostino, Ross and Birch plus the incoming guys, our D should continue to be a strength next year.

A one-and-done tournament is always a crapshoot, but we're going to be a tough out for anyone next weekend.

Date: March 21, 2010 08:48AM

From Dan Sweeney's (IJ) recap of press conference.

Schafer
In the BU game, we tried to protect the league in a bad way. We didn’t stay aggressive. We talked about that between the second and the third tonight was we have to stay aggressive in what we’re doing and pinching our defensemen and being aggressive with the puck down low in our zone. ... It wasn’t a lack of energy it was a lack of experience of how to play on the big stage.

But a great week for Cornell sports. Women’s hockey and wrestling and basketball. You want this week to keep going.
Scrivens
Even look at Dartmouth. We were really kicking ourselves. We thought we really hurt our chances for the NCAAs by losing that one on the road. Credit to the coaches, they kind of gave us a kick and we responded well.

Staying within myself. Maybe when I first got down here you’re kind of used to juniors where you can get away with a little bit. I probably started to wander a little too much when I was younger. But since I matured so much I kind of realized to stay within myself. I’m not Marty Turco or (Martin) Brodeur. I’m not going to be giving breakaway saucer passes anytime soon. It’s get back there, set the puck for the guys who can move it and get back to the net.

DARTMOUTH GAME: "Eventually you’re just going to have one of those games where it’s a wakeup call for you. I can remember all five of those goals. I admit I played a couple of them poorly. … I didn’t go back to the drawing board. I kind of got back to what I was doing to make myself a successful player on this team."

"It was more of a wakeup call to what was making me successful this year and in past years."

Posted by: cth95 (---.hsd1.vt.comcast.net)
Date: March 21, 2010 11:17AM

The one advantage to not being there was seeing some of the interviews on TV. Greening and Scrivens were both very well-spoken and neither gave the typical cliched responses. Their answers were well-formed and inciteful. It is a pleasure to know that classy guys like these are representing our program.

Posted by: Willy '06 (38.98.164.---)
Date: March 21, 2010 11:33AM

cth95
The one advantage to not being there was seeing some of the interviews on TV. Greening and Scrivens were both very well-spoken and neither gave the typical cliched responses. Their answers were well-formed and inciteful. It is a pleasure to know that classy guys like these are representing our program.

What were they inciting?

Date: March 21, 2010 11:54AM

Willy '06
cth95

What were they inciting?

Whoops. Uh, their teammates to play better?:-)

They are perceptive and insightful.

Posted by: judy (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 21, 2010 08:39PM

Posted by: munchkin (---.c3-0.sbo-ubr4.sbo.ma.cable.rcn.com)
Date: March 21, 2010 09:04PM

Me!!! Me! I do, I do!

Posted by: Rita (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: March 21, 2010 09:08PM

munchkin

Me!!! Me! I do, I do!

Long sleeved T-shirts... nice. I think I need one of those :-).

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: March 21, 2010 09:55PM

munchkin

Me!!! Me! I do, I do!
I was still rather hoping for a soul crushing juggernauts shirt.

Posted by: JasonN95 (---.dsl2.mon.ny.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 21, 2010 09:58PM

KeithK
munchkin

Me!!! Me! I do, I do!

Soul-devouring, please!

Date: March 21, 2010 10:03PM

JasonN95
KeithK
munchkin

Me!!! Me! I do, I do!

Soul-devouring, please!

nom nom! souls!

Date: March 21, 2010 10:05PM

I'd say the team certainly was a soul-devouring juggernaut Saturday night.

Date: March 21, 2010 10:06PM

If someone makes some good T-shirts with this quote, I would buy one. I have a couple of friends whom I'm sure would also buy one.

Date: March 21, 2010 10:10PM

I'm buying 2- one to wear, one to make into a bag. Unless it also comes in a bag form.

I believe word on the street is that it's coming.

Posted by: munchkin (---.c3-0.sbo-ubr4.sbo.ma.cable.rcn.com)
Date: March 21, 2010 10:44PM

There is a new thread just for the shirts. Check it out.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login