Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

You Are the Committee

Posted by jtwcornell91 
You Are the Committee
Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: March 15, 2010 01:03AM

People seem to need no prompting, but it is there to tinker with:

[www.collegehockeynews.com]

I got three ECAC teams in by having us lose to Union in the final...

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2010 01:04AM by jtwcornell91.

Re: You Are the Committee
Posted by: adamw (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 15, 2010 01:07AM

And let's remember ... this is the ORIGINAL tool ... programmed by your very own JTW. Found at CHN. Any other tool owes its code to John.

Posted by: mikek (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: March 15, 2010 01:56AM

If everything plays out according to seeds (including our games) we would end up as a #2 seed, 6th overall.

If we lose both games and everything else goes according to seed, then we would be the first team out of the tournament (#14) with Union, RIT, and UAH taking the 3 non-at-large spots. If we flip the Union and SLU game so that we play Union in the consy then we would still end up out at #16 overall.

If we beat Brown and lose to Union in the final and everything else goes according to seed we end up at #11.

Thats all I had time to run for now... basically if we win one game next weekend we should be ok as long as not every AQ is a team that wouldn't have otherwise had a bid (no really possible as whoever wins the WCHA should be high enough). Lose 2 games and we might be able to squeak in but I wouldn't want to find out (Found one scenario where Ferris, ND, and Vermont win the AQ's and we still get in with losses to Brown and Union...)

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: March 15, 2010 08:16AM

On the downside, if every game goes to the LOWER seed, we end up 20th.

Posted by: Chris 02 (---.jsc.nasa.gov)
Date: March 15, 2010 10:13AM

The folks at USCHO don't seem real friendly with this kind of blog posting!!! flipc

[www.uscho.com]

Shouldn't we be taking a more positive approach to this process????

Posted by: sockralex (170.202.22.---)
Date: March 15, 2010 10:26AM

Looks hopeful to me. Bimidji losing didn't help, but the way the USCHO blog post scenarios play out it says "if every game is an upset, then Cornell is out."

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: March 15, 2010 10:47AM

You've got to like your chances when all you have to do (aside from win) is root for the favorites.

Posted by: ryeguy (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 15, 2010 12:28PM

Has any one been able to get Yale to drop out? I can't seem to. I've tried a few different ways and they still remain in.

Posted by: Chris 02 (---.jsc.nasa.gov)
Date: March 15, 2010 12:33PM

ryeguy
Has any one been able to get Yale to drop out? I can't seem to. I've tried a few different ways and they still remain in.

Try this: It involves a bunch of upsets in conference tournaments reducing the at-large pool.

[www.uscho.com]

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: March 15, 2010 12:55PM

So far I haven't found a combination where we don't make it if we win at least 1 game.

FWIW

Date: March 15, 2010 12:56PM

Chris 02
ryeguy

Try this: It involves a bunch of upsets in conference tournaments reducing the at-large pool.

[www.uscho.com]
That works. burnout

Date: March 15, 2010 12:57PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
So far I haven't found a combination where we don't make it if we win at least 1 game.

FWIW

Have you tried anything if we tie in the 3rd place game?

Date: March 15, 2010 01:04PM

If we tie against Union in the 3rd place game, I have us as the last team to be taken out. That's if all those terrible upsets happen.

Posted by: upperdeck (128.253.162.---)
Date: March 15, 2010 01:37PM

the best thing is that the possibilities do down after day one.. at least the team should know if they have to pull the goalie or not before the game is over and is tied.

Posted by: mikek (---.GD-AIS.COM)
Date: March 15, 2010 02:12PM

Jeff Hopkins '82

FWIW

Found one a bunch where if we beat Brown and lose to Union we would be out (one example below puts us at #15)... we don't want Maine anywhere near the HEA final, Ferris winning seems to be better than N. Mich. Playing St. Lawrence in the final (or consy) is a lot better for us because a loss to Union is costing us 3 or 4 comparisons due to TUC record. We really need NoDak to beat UMD in the first round of the final 5, it gives us the COp against UMD and helps out our RPI just a bit. I haven't found a scenario yet where if NoDak beats UMD and we beat Brown we don't get in.

Hockey East Semifinal #2: Maine defeats Boston University.
Hockey East Semifinal #1: Boston College defeats Vermont.
Hockey East Championship game: Maine defeats Boston College.
ECAC Semifinal #2: Union defeats St. Lawrence.
ECAC Semifinal #1: Cornell defeats Brown.
ECAC Championship game: Union defeats Cornell.
ECAC Consolation game: St. Lawrence defeats Brown.
Atlantic Hockey Semifinal #2: Sacred Heart defeats Air Force.
Atlantic Hockey Semifinal #1: Canisius defeats RIT.
Atlantic Hockey Championship game: Canisius defeats Sacred Heart.
CCHA Semifinal #2: Northern Michigan defeats Ferris State.
CCHA Semifinal #1: Michigan defeats Miami.
CCHA Championship game: Northern Michigan defeats Michigan.
CCHA Consolation game: Ferris State defeats Miami.
WCHA Play-in #1: Minnesota-Duluth defeats North Dakota.
WCHA Semifinal #2: St. Cloud State defeats Wisconsin.
WCHA Semifinal #1: Minnesota-Duluth defeats Denver.
WCHA Championship game: Minnesota-Duluth defeats St. Cloud State.
WCHA Consolation game: Wisconsin defeats Denver.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2010 02:23PM by mikek.

Posted by: mnagowski (---.allfirst.com)
Date: March 15, 2010 02:37PM

mikek
Jeff Hopkins '82

FWIW

Found one a bunch where if we beat Brown and lose to Union we would be out (one example below puts us at #15)... we don't want Maine anywhere near the HEA final, Ferris winning seems to be better than N. Mich. Playing St. Lawrence in the final (or consy) is a lot better for us because a loss to Union is costing us 3 or 4 comparisons due to TUC record.

Interesting thought: Would a win against Union hurt us were it not for the AQ? It would switch our TUC on, right?

Date: March 15, 2010 03:19PM

mnagowski

Interesting thought: Would a win against Union hurt us were it not for the AQ? It would switch our TUC on, right?

Not really, as a win puts at .500 instead of .400 with a loss. Most of the teams that we would lose this comparison to that matter have records between .400 and .500. UMD would have to win out to have a TUC record > .500 which would give them a higher RPI than us anyway. Vermont could also have a TUC record > .500 but then we would beat BC in the TUC comparison so that evens out.

Date: March 15, 2010 08:40PM

Some more thoughts:

We want RIT to win its semifinal so that UMass/Northeastern can't become a TUC (we lose that comparison to UMass if we lose to Union and it helps other HEA teams win the TUC against us I believe).

We want NoDak to beat UMD (which would give us the comparison against UMD if we beat Brown)

If those 2 things happen and we beat Brown I can't find a scenario where we don't get it.

Edit: Actually I can't find a scenario where NoDak beats UMD and we beat Brown that we don't make it... regardless of what RIT does.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2010 08:51PM by mikek.

Date: March 16, 2010 08:24AM

This isn't going to help North Dakota's chances... [www.uscho.com]

"The WCHA suspended North Dakota’s Matt Frattin late Monday for the forward’s hit on Minnesota’s Kevin Wehrs on Sunday."

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: March 16, 2010 08:44AM

sockralex
This isn't going to help North Dakota's chances... [www.uscho.com]

"The WCHA suspended North Dakota’s Matt Frattin late Monday for the forward’s hit on Minnesota’s Kevin Wehrs on Sunday."
This is what he was doing before:
USCHO
Feb. 4 — North Dakota forward Matt Frattin has been acquitted on drunk driving charges, the Grand Forks Herald reported.

A jury of six Grand Forks County (N.D.) residents delivered a not guilty verdict after less than 30 minutes of deliberation on Tuesday, the newspaper reported.

Frattin, a junior, was dismissed from the team in August for what was called a violation of team rules. That move came after he was arrested and charged with driving under the influence.

Frattin was reinstated to the team in late December.

The Grand Forks Herald reported that Frattin was pulled over by campus police in the early morning hours of Aug. 19, and a test at the police station recorded his blood-alcohol level at .12 percent. The legal limit in North Dakota is .08 percent.--
Innocent till proven guilty, but I should go back and see how he got acquitted.

Posted by: upperdeck (128.253.162.---)
Date: March 16, 2010 04:00PM

it was a nasty hit.. but ND was getting away with murder from the 2nd period on.. Minn was getting hosed.

Date: March 16, 2010 04:33PM

upperdeck
it was a nasty hit.. but ND was getting away with murder from the 2nd period on.. Minn was getting hosed.

Here is the hit, if some one hasn't seen it.

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 16, 2010 04:53PM

Gotta love the goalie going after Frattin. Minnesota was lucky there wasn't a penalty called on him. It looked like he blatantly hit Frattin in the back of the head with his stick.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: March 16, 2010 04:54PM

Jeez. That's dirty in any league.

Date: March 16, 2010 05:02PM

Trotsky
Meh. If it was in open ice that would just be a garden variety charging penalty IMO. It's the proximity to the boards that elevates it into the danger zone.

Date: March 16, 2010 05:53PM

KeithK
Trotsky
Meh. If it was in open ice that would just be a garden variety charging penalty IMO. It's the proximity to the boards that elevates it into the danger zone.
I think wherever that was it's a major, at least I hope so. Rule 6-8 is no contact to the head or neck of any manner. He also left his feet. I think that's enough to be tossed from the game. To me it's worse than hitting from behind and tossed.

You notice how the announcers said nothing about the hit, just talked about how neither coach was happy, etc.

Posted by: kingpin248 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 17, 2010 12:22AM

Jim Hyla
KeithK
Trotsky
I think wherever that was it's a major, at least I hope so. Rule 6-8 is no contact to the head or neck of any manner. He also left his feet. I think that's enough to be tossed from the game. To me it's worse than hitting from behind and tossed.

You notice how the announcers said nothing about the hit, just talked about how neither coach was happy, etc.

Here's the boxscore. Frattin got 5 for contact to the head but was not tossed.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: March 17, 2010 12:45PM

Meh. The Minnesota player was already leaning backwards, making the hit happen higher and look rougher than it was otherwise.

Date: March 17, 2010 01:06PM

I wouldn't be happy if I saw one of our guys get rattled next to the glass like that.

People were saying similar things about an RPI hit on one of the Cornell player's @ RPI last year. There was a couple of seconds left in the game and our player was skating with the puck heading towards the back of the net when the RPI player checked him and sent him into the boards. It looked dirty to me. A lot of RPI people were saying he was off balance and already close to the boards so it looked worse than it was and shouldn't have been a DQ. Either way, our guy was injured and the RPI player got a game DQ.

Clearly my memory is fuzzy on who did the hitting and who got hurt, but I do remember it resulting in a similar argument about how much responsibility should be on the person who got hit.

Posted by: amerks127 (---.arts.cornell.edu)
Date: March 17, 2010 01:19PM

sockralex
I wouldn't be happy if I saw one of our guys get rattled next to the glass like that.

People were saying similar things about an RPI hit on one of the Cornell player's @ RPI last year. There was a couple of seconds left in the game and our player was skating with the puck heading towards the back of the net when the RPI player checked him and sent him into the boards. It looked dirty to me. A lot of RPI people were saying he was off balance and already close to the boards so it looked worse than it was and shouldn't have been a DQ. Either way, our guy was injured and the RPI player got a game DQ.

Clearly my memory is fuzzy on who did the hitting and who got hurt, but I do remember it resulting in a similar argument about how much responsibility should be on the person who got hit.

Burgdoerfer hit Taylor Davenport. Gotta love the team reaction.

Date: March 17, 2010 02:46PM

amerks127
sockralex

I don't think I'm just looking through Carnelian colored glasses but the Burgdoerfer hit was much worse. He intentionally pushes Davenport backwards into the boards. It was alos the last second of the game, leading me to think that he was venting frustration at the end of a bad game by trying to hurt an opponent. The NoDak hit, by contrast, looks a lot more like a regular check. No doubt that it was illegal since he left his feet and made contact to the head and probably worthy of five due to proximity to the boards. But I can't get worked up about it.

No doubt I would be calling for Frattin's execution if he'd hit a Cornell guy like that.

Posted by: jkahn (---.73.146.216.biz.sta.networkgci.net)
Date: March 17, 2010 04:44PM

A real good start to the weekend would be a UMD loss tomorrow, as the other four WCHA teams are locks for the NCAA.

Date: March 17, 2010 05:16PM

KeithK
amerks127
sockralex

I don't think I'm just looking through Carnelian colored glasses but the Burgdoerfer hit was much worse. He intentionally pushes Davenport backwards into the boards. It was alos the last second of the game, leading me to think that he was venting frustration at the end of a bad game by trying to hurt an opponent. The NoDak hit, by contrast, looks a lot more like a regular check. No doubt that it was illegal since he left his feet and made contact to the head and probably worthy of five due to proximity to the boards. But I can't get worked up about it.

No doubt I would be calling for Frattin's execution if he'd hit a Cornell guy like that.
What more do you need to say than that, it's a terrible, illegal check that should never be allowed. You'd also probably think differently if you got hit like that.

Posted by: tretiak (---.resnet.ucsb.edu)
Date: March 17, 2010 05:31PM

[www.areavoices.com]

As you can see from the stills, Frattin didn't leave his feet to make the hit. It was still definitely a charging/contact to the head penalty.

Date: March 17, 2010 05:48PM

Jim Hyla
KeithK

What more do you need to say than that, it's a terrible, illegal check that should never be allowed. You'd also probably think differently if you got hit like that.
I just don't get all that worked up about charging or this kind of contact to the head (guy is looking down, check goes high). It's illegal, give him a penalty, that's enough for me.

Date: March 17, 2010 05:49PM

tretiak
[www.areavoices.com]

As you can see from the stills, Frattin didn't leave his feet to make the hit. It was still definitely a charging/contact to the head penalty.
Come on, those stills are terrible. The skates are blurred and the picture is from a top angle. From that angle you can't tell if his skates are touching the ice. View the video, he certainly had a jumping motion, off the ice and back down. Stop the video at 11 seconds and look.

Date: March 17, 2010 05:55PM

KeithK
Jim Hyla
KeithK

I just don't get all that worked up about charging or this kind of contact to the head (guy is looking down, check goes high). It's illegal, give him a penalty, that's enough for me.
Have you ever had or seen someone recover from a concussion? All sports are trying to stop head hits, as they are accumulative over a players lifetime, and can lead to serious neurological problems. The NHL just made a new midseason rule on blindside hits to the head and are actually trying to implement it during this season.

As I've said, there is no room for that type of play. It can cause serious permanent damage. The player never came back, either.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 17, 2010 05:55PM

Jim Hyla
KeithK
amerks127
sockralex

I agree with you Jim. If someone hit me like that I would be lucky if I didn't expire. I too wonder how many on this board would like to be hit like that.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.deploy.akamaitechnologies.com)
Date: March 17, 2010 05:56PM

KeithK
I agree: it was a hit from the front. If he had his head about him and weren't staring at his skates, he would have seen the check coming. Start going down the road of handing out DQ's for hard hits from the front and the game suddenly becomes a lot less physical.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.deploy.akamaitechnologies.com)
Date: March 17, 2010 05:59PM

marty
I agree with you Jim. If someone hit me like that I would be lucky if I didn't expire. I too wonder how many on this board would like to be hit like that.
I weigh 150 lbs, don't work out in the weight room, haven't been playing since I was in diapers (ed: though with any luck I *will* be playing until I'm in diapers), and don't practice 5 hours a day: your argument is a straw man.

A better point of argument is whether the punishment for a hit should depend on how observant the receiving player is, or on how much physical damage the hit does. I say "no" to both of those, too, but at least it could make for a legitimate discussion.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2010 06:00PM by Kyle Rose.

Date: March 17, 2010 06:19PM

Kyle Rose
marty
I weigh 150 lbs, don't work out in the weight room, haven't been playing since I was in diapers (ed: though with any luck I *will* be playing until I'm in diapers), and don't practice 5 hours a day: your argument is a straw man.

A better point of argument is whether the punishment for a hit should depend on how observant the receiving player is, or on how much physical damage the hit does. I say "no" to both of those, too, but at least it could make for a legitimate discussion.
It has nothing to do with how observant the receiving player is, it's an illegal hit to the head, period. Hits to the head are illegal. This was a particularly vicious one as he left his feet and drove him into the boards. If you don't think this deserves a suspension, then I don't want you on my team, nor on my opponents team. As I said sports in general are trying to stop headhunters because of the terrible damage they can cause. This was clearly one of those.

The terrible part of he game was that Minny couldn't score and he came back to score for UND. Minny was left with 5 D'men and had another, due to a hit, play sparingly.

Date: March 17, 2010 07:31PM

Jim Hyla
The terrible part of he game was that Minny couldn't score and he came back to score for UND. Minny was left with 5 D'men and had another, due to a hit, play sparingly.
Even if Frettin had delivered an overhand two-handed slash to Wehr's head as if the stick were a battle axe and the blow nearly decapitated the maroon clad victim I would've been happy if Minnesota didn't score on the ensuing powerplay.

Though I would support a suspension in that case.

Date: March 17, 2010 08:05PM

Come on, those stills are terrible. The skates are blurred and the picture is from a top angle. From that angle you can't tell if his skates are touching the ice. View the video, he certainly had a jumping motion, off the ice and back down. Stop the video at 11 seconds and look.

I've paused it at several spots on the attached video. Pre-contact, Frettin's feet are still on the ice. Then there's contact. Then Frettin's feet leave the ice after contact has already been made. For those of you who didn't play in checking leagues, the force from a hard hit often propels both players off the ice. Also you can't discredit the stills and then base your argument on a similar resolution video.

Date: March 17, 2010 08:52PM

tretiak

I've paused it at several spots on the attached video. Pre-contact, Frettin's feet are still on the ice. Then there's contact. Then Frettin's feet leave the ice after contact has already been made. For those of you who didn't play in checking leagues, the force from a hard hit often propels both players off the ice. Also you can't discredit the stills and then base your argument on a similar resolution video.
I can believe that. So what is the letter of the rule? If the force of the hit causes propels the hitter off the ice is it by definition an illegal hit? Is it only leaving your feet beforehand? Intent to do so?

I'm asking about the letter here, not the squishy "referees shouldn't enforce that" part (which I sometimes agree with).

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 17, 2010 09:08PM

KeithK

I can believe that. So what is the letter of the rule? If the force of the hit causes propels the hitter off the ice is it by definition an illegal hit? Is it only leaving your feet beforehand? Intent to do so?

I'm asking about the letter here, not the squishy "referees shouldn't enforce that" part (which I sometimes agree with).

2008-10 NCAA MEN’S AND WOMEN’S ICE HOCKEY RULES AND INTERPRETATIONS

Boarding
SECTION 3. A player shall not body check, cross-check, elbow, charge or
trip an opponent from the front or side in such a manner that causes the
opponent to be thrown violently into the boards (see 6-23).
PENALTY—Minor or major at discretion of the referee, based on degree
of violence of the impact with the boards.

Charging
SECTION 6. a. A player shall not skate more than two steps or jump into or
charge an opponent. Charging is the action of a player, who as a result
of distance traveled, checks an opponent violently in any manner from
the front or side.
Note: A fair body check is one in which a player checks an opponent who is in
possession of the puck, by using the hip or body from the front or diagonally
from the front or straight from the side.
PENALTY—Minor or major at discretion of the referee.

Contact to the Head
SECTION 8. A player shall not make contact with an opposing player’s
head or neck area in any manner.
PENALTY—Minor or major or disqualification at the discretion of the
referee. Contact to the head shall be assessed in front of the
infraction (i.e., contact to the head – elbow).
Note: The rules committee instructs officials to use a zero tolerance policy in
this area.

Hitting After the Whistle
SECTION 22. A player shall not make physical contact with an opponent,
including the goalkeeper (see 6-6-b), anywhere on the ice after the whistle
has blown if, in the opinion of a referee, the player had sufficient time after
the whistle to avoid such contact.
Note: Officials are encouraged to pay particular attention to a player who
instigates or escalates an incident after play is stopped.

Hitting From Behind
SECTION 23. a. A player shall not push, charge, cross-check or body check
an opponent from behind in open ice.
PENALTY—Minor or major at the discretion of the referee.
b. Hitting from behind into the side boards, end boards or goal cage is a
flagrant violation.
RULE 6 / PLAYING RULES HR-73
PENALTY—Major and game misconduct or disqualification at the
discretion of the referee.
Note: The committee reminds coaches and players that the responsibility
remains with the player approaching an opponent along the boards in this
rule. While players turning to draw penalties are a concern, the positive
change in behavior the committee observed outweighs this issue. Any penalty
in relation to this rule along the boards or into the goal cage must be a major
penalty and a game misconduct or disqualification.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 17, 2010 09:14PM

KeithK
tretiak

As I said before, it's an illegal hit because he hit his head. It's dangerous and isn't allowed. One player had his feet jump off the ice, the other players feet left the ice because he was hit high and flattened. You can try and make it OK as much as you like, but the powers to be don't agree, and I'm glad they don't. Remind me not to play in your league; I'd like to leave with my mental capacity intact. Oh, maybe that's the problem.smashfreak

Posted by: Dpperk29 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 17, 2010 11:14PM

Jim Hyla
KeithK
tretiak

As I said before, it's an illegal hit because he hit his head. It's dangerous and isn't allowed. One player had his feet jump off the ice, the other players feet left the ice because he was hit high and flattened. You can try and make it OK as much as you like, but the powers to be don't agree, and I'm glad they don't. Remind me not to play in your league; I'd like to leave with my mental capacity intact. Oh, maybe that's the problem.smashfreak

For once, I completely agree with Jim. Hits to the head need to be eliminated from the game of Hockey. No one deserves to be permanently harmed from playing hockey, and head injuries are a heartless bitch.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 17, 2010 11:30PM

Jim Hyla
This was clearly one of those.
Actually, that's not at all clear to me from the videos or the stills. There was certainly contact to the head, but it's not clear that it was intentional ("head-hunting" ). Wehrs put his head down at the last second, presumably to dick around with the puck. What is Frettin supposed to do? Veer off a good check because Wehrs decided to cushion the blow to his body with his head? He should have and could have seen Frettin coming, but instead put his own head in a dangerous place. Sorry, but I have very little sympathy for Wehrs in this case (beyond the usual sympathy I would have for someone who was hurt, no matter what the cause). I would have a very different opinion were it hitting from behind, but it wasn't.

And FWIW I play non-checking hockey. Body checks are not allowed. This is not the case in men's college hockey: part of the game is keeping your head up and looking for checks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2010 11:48PM by Kyle Rose.

Date: March 18, 2010 12:02AM

Hits to the head need to be eliminated from the game of Hockey. No one deserves to be permanently harmed from playing hockey, and head injuries are a heartless bitch.

No one here has tried to refute the fact that contact to the head is illegal. I'm not arguing that the hit wasn't dirty. It was both a hit to the head and a charge because Frettin took multiple strides before delivering a hit. Jim tried to argue that it was a dirty hit because Frettin left his feet. When confronted with evidence to the contrary, he's now changing his argument and using straw-man arguments to make his point.

KeithK, as pointed out in the rules and interpretations, the charging penalty only occurs if the player leaves his feet before the hit. Once contact is made, then there can't be a charging penalty; ie: there is no penalty if a player is knocked into the air as a result of a hit.

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: March 18, 2010 12:14AM

Jim Hyla
KeithK
tretiak

Jim, I was just inquiring into the leaving his feet part, the charge part. I've never said the check was not illegal. We just disagree on the subjective part of how dirty/especially dangerous the hit was, which plays into the quesiton of outrage and additional discipline.

Date: March 18, 2010 12:17AM

David Harding
Charging
the front or side.
This is an odd way to state the rule. In my mind a body check is by definition violent. According to the letter of the rule here you could call charging on virtually every hit that occurs in every game.

Date: March 18, 2010 07:41AM

Obviously I'm not going to convince some of the above, I'm just glad the WCHA decided to do something about it. I'm also glad that Kyle plays in a non-checking league; I'd hate to have him lose some mental function. After all, I need as many disagreements as possible to have a good discussion.bolt

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 18, 2010 09:23AM

KeithK
David Harding
Charging
the front or side.
This is an odd way to state the rule. In my mind a body check is by definition violent. According to the letter of the rule here you could call charging on virtually every hit that occurs in every game.

You are neglecting the "as a result of distance traveled" part. Essentially they are saying if you carry a ton of speed in to a hit and hit the person violently, then it is charging. Notice it also says "jump into" not jump before hitting the player. I think the UND player violated the spirit of the charging rule, and the contact to the head made it worse. I hate this whole tough guy "keep your head up" phenomenon. Sometimes in hockey you actually have to look at the puck to figure out where it is, it doesn't make you any dumber or worse as a hockey player. The UND player could've lowered his shoulder and delivered a hit to the chest instead of launching off of the ice into the guys head. Even that probably would have ended up as a charge or a board with the speed he came in to the hit with and the fact that the MN player was a couple feet off the boards and was going to fly in to them violently.

Posted by: ugarte (---.z75-46-65.customer.algx.net)
Date: March 18, 2010 10:37AM

Jacob '06
The UND player could've lowered his shoulder and delivered a hit to the chest instead of launching off of the ice into the guys head.

I agree with Jacob (and by implication, disagree with tretiak) that this is what Frettin did. The stills show that he was still on the ice before contact, but they also show him (IMO) crouching into position and releasing upwards, to explode through Wehrs on contact. He didn't leave the ice incidentally to contact, he left the ice in order to finish the check hard.

I'm not calling for a criminal indictment either, and it is arguable that the hit to the head was accidental, but I'm not the person who thinks it is a good argument. A major and ejection were appropriate. Not sure about a suspension. For that I'd want to look to precedent.

Date: March 18, 2010 11:00AM

ugarte
Jacob '06
The UND player could've lowered his shoulder and delivered a hit to the chest instead of launching off of the ice into the guys head.

I agree with Jacob (and by implication, disagree with tretiak) that this is what Frettin did. The stills show that he was still on the ice before contact, but they also show him (IMO) crouching into position and releasing upwards, to explode through Wehrs on contact. He didn't leave the ice incidentally to contact, he left the ice in order to finish the check hard.

I'm not calling for a criminal indictment either, and it is arguable that the hit to the head was accidental, but I'm not the person who thinks it is a good argument. A major and ejection were appropriate. Not sure about a suspension. For that I'd want to look to precedent.
I suspect he got the suspension because he wasn't ejected.

Posted by: jkahn (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: March 18, 2010 10:51PM

With UMD loss tonight, 1-1 should get us in (at least I haven't found a way it doesn't). Still plenty of ways to not make the NCAA's if 0-2 and some at 0-1-1.
Let's Go Red.

Posted by: Tom Lento (---.corp.tfbnw.net)
Date: March 19, 2010 09:51PM

Kyle Rose
Jim Hyla
This was clearly one of those.
Actually, that's not at all clear to me from the videos or the stills. There was certainly contact to the head, but it's not clear that it was intentional ("head-hunting" ). Wehrs put his head down at the last second, presumably to dick around with the puck. What is Frettin supposed to do? Veer off a good check because Wehrs decided to cushion the blow to his body with his head? He should have and could have seen Frettin coming, but instead put his own head in a dangerous place. Sorry, but I have very little sympathy for Wehrs in this case (beyond the usual sympathy I would have for someone who was hurt, no matter what the cause). I would have a very different opinion were it hitting from behind, but it wasn't.

And FWIW I play non-checking hockey. Body checks are not allowed. This is not the case in men's college hockey: part of the game is keeping your head up and looking for checks.

Kind of off-topic (although I suppose this whole conversation is off-topic), but having been flattened several times in my non-checking hockey league this season, I can tell you that you should keep your head up whether or not body-checking is legal.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 19, 2010 11:28PM

Michigan or Maine could take a tournament slot and knock out a bubble PWR team by winning their league, although a Maine win tomorrow night could raise their PWR enough to put them in even without the automatic bid. Cornell sitting at #8 at 11:28pm EDT.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.newimagent.com)
Date: March 19, 2010 11:34PM

I've been playing a bit since I've been Back at the hotel. The lowest I've been able to get us so far is 11. Even if both Maine and Michigan win tomorrow, along with us losing to Union, 11 should get us in since the WCHA winner will be a ranked team.

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.tvc-ip.com)
Date: March 19, 2010 11:37PM

I didn't spend very much time on it at all, but the following might save someone a minute or two. All the higher seeds winning would result in Cornell winding up 7th.

Posted by: RedAR (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 19, 2010 11:48PM

Definitely rooting for a Cornell win tomorrow, but getting 3 ECAC teams into the NCAA's should we lose is not decent consolation. I guess there's a silver lining in either outcome tomorrow. Still, LET'S GO RED!

Date: March 20, 2010 12:15AM

RedAR
Definitely rooting for a Cornell win tomorrow, but getting 3 ECAC teams into the NCAA's should we lose is not decent consolation. I guess there's a silver lining in either outcome tomorrow. Still, LET'S GO RED!
Exactly. Just win.

Posted by: ajh258 (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: March 20, 2010 12:18AM

KeithK
RedAR
Exactly. Just win.

This is why I love our fans! :-)

Date: March 20, 2010 12:18AM

andyw2100
I didn't spend very much time on it at all, but the following might save someone a minute or two. All the higher seeds winning would result in Cornell winding up 7th.

And if they go straight 1-8, 2-7, etc. that means we go to Fort Wayne to play in Miami's bracket. Because as close as I can figure, Miami is locked in at #2, and if we win, we're 7, no matter what else happens.

So unless they dick around with the brackets to boost attendance, get ready to head west again.

Date: March 20, 2010 12:23AM

So far it looks like a win puts us at 7 and a loss puts us at 10 or 11. Haven't run all the cases (not working graveyard shift like I was last year at this time) but I'm getting comfortable that with a win we'll be a #2 seed and with a loss we'll be a #3.

It also looks like Yale is in. They show up between 8 and 11 in everything I've run.

The results of the WCHA games seem to have no effect at all on the seedings of ECAC teams.

Date: March 20, 2010 12:38AM

Jeff Hopkins '82
andyw2100

And if they go straight 1-8, 2-7, etc. that means we go to Fort Wayne to play in Miami's bracket. Because as close as I can figure, Miami is locked in at #2, and if we win, we're 7, no matter what else happens.

So unless they dick around with the brackets to boost attendance, get ready to head west again.
Not a bad unless.

Posted by: mikek (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: March 20, 2010 12:45AM

The following puts us 12th and as the last at large. That's as low as I've been able to get us to drop. So it looks like we're in for sure.

If you switch the winner of either HEA or WCHA it doesn't change the result.

Miami winning, RIT winning, or Michigan winning bumps us up to 10 or 11.

# Hockey East Championship game: Maine defeats Boston College.
# ECAC Championship game: Union defeats Cornell.
# ECAC Consolation game: Brown defeats St. Lawrence.
# Atlantic Hockey Championship game: Sacred Heart defeats RIT.
# CCHA Championship game: Northern Michigan defeats Michigan.
# CCHA Consolation game: Ferris State defeats Miami.
# WCHA Championship game: North Dakota defeats St. Cloud State.
# WCHA Consolation game: Denver defeats Wisconsin.

If we win I can't get us anywhere but 7th.

Date: March 20, 2010 12:49AM

It looks like the top 6 are fixed:

1 Denver
2 Miami
3,4,5,6 - NoDak, St. Cloud, BC, and Wisconsin in some order.

Now if we win, we win the RPI comparison with Bemidji and Yale, and the TUC comparison with NMU, UVM, and UNH, so we finish 7th.

If we lose, UVM, NMU, and UNH all win the TUC comparison, Bemidji and Yale win on RPI, and we drop to 10th or 11th. 10th if Miami beats Ferris, 11th if Ferris beats Miami, depending on how Ferris does.

That's it. Those are the options.

Date: March 20, 2010 12:57AM

Jeff Hopkins '82

1 Denver
2 Miami

Now if we win, we win the RPI comparison with Bemidji and Yale, and the TUC comparison with NMU, UVM, and UNH, so we finish 7th.

If we lose, UVM, NMU, and UNH all win the TUC comparison, Bemidji and Yale win on RPI, and we drop to 10th or 11th. 10th if Miami beats Ferris, 11th if Ferris beats Miami, depending on how Ferris does.

Edit: Other than the one case where we drop to 12th :-)

Date: March 20, 2010 01:07AM

Jeff Hopkins '82

1 Denver
2 Miami

It least we don't have to watch the scoreboard, just win.

Posted by: RedAR (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 20, 2010 01:24AM

oops. :)

Posted by: dsk1 (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 20, 2010 09:02AM

If we win, then it looks like we are #7. The #1-2 seeds are between Denver and Miami which will come down to their TUC and is very close. If Miami does better than Denver today it will get the overall #1 seed (i.e., Denver loss with Miami win or tie or Denver tie and Miami win). If Miami takes the #1 seed, then Denver as the number #2 seed would likely be in Albany with us as the #7. If Denver gets the overall #1, then it looks like we are headed west unless they dick around with the brackets to boost attendance.

Date: March 20, 2010 12:24PM

dsk1
If we win, then it looks like we are #7. The #1-2 seeds are between Denver and Miami which will come down to their TUC and is very close. If Miami does better than Denver today it will get the overall #1 seed (i.e., Denver loss with Miami win or tie or Denver tie and Miami win). If Miami takes the #1 seed, then Denver as the number #2 seed would likely be in Albany with us as the #7. If Denver gets the overall #1, then it looks like we are headed west unless they dick around with the brackets to boost attendance.

I like how my comment is getting repeated.

Posted by: Roy 82 (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: March 20, 2010 02:39PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
dsk1

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2010 02:40PM by Roy 82.

Posted by: Robin (---.alb.choiceone.net)
Date: March 20, 2010 03:33PM

....and when was the last time they dicked around the brackets to boost attendance...?

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.tvc-ip.com)
Date: March 20, 2010 03:35PM

Robin
....and when was the last time they dicked around the brackets to boost attendance...?

They usually dick around with the brackets just to screw Cornell.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 20, 2010 03:44PM

andyw2100
Robin

They usually dick around with the brackets just to screw Cornell.

One consolation is that this year they can't Screw BU!

Posted by: Robin (---.alb.choiceone.net)
Date: March 20, 2010 03:53PM

Why wouldn't Denver get sent to Minnesota vs Albany?

Date: March 20, 2010 04:12PM

Robin
Why wouldn't Denver get sent to Minnesota vs Albany?
A flight is a flight. Distance matters a lot less if you have to fly anyway. Now whether Denver fans would drive to Minnesota or whether Minnesota locals would root for a WCHA team is a different question.

Date: March 20, 2010 04:40PM

I also think a Winsconsin win over Denver locks them in for a #1 seed (#3 overall) and they would likely get sent to Minnesota since it is pretty close for them. . .Denver will be traveling pretty far either way.

Date: March 20, 2010 05:13PM

The last post over simplified the analysis a little, but I think Denver gets sent east (most likely Albany). If BC and St. Cloud both win, I think 3-6 are Wis, St. Cloud, BC, ND in which case St. Cloud would likely stay in Minnesota with Wisconsin and Denver going to Albany and Worcester. If BC and ND win, I think 3-6 are Wis, BC, ND, St. Cloud in which case BC would get Worcester, Wisconsin would go to Minnesota (with St. Cloud as the #6) and Denver to Albany. If BC loses, Wis. is #3 and BC is #6 with St. Cloud and ND #4 & #5 in which case St. Cloud and ND would be in Minnesota, Wisconsin would go to Worcester (with BC at the #6) and Denver would get sent to Albany.

Date: March 20, 2010 07:11PM

The possibilities (if I've got them right):
Cornell wins - we are #7 and Denver is #2.
Union wins and at least one of Mich. and RIT wins - Cornell is #10 and Bemidji #7.
Union, NMU and SH win - Cornell is #11.

Date: March 20, 2010 07:55PM

jkahn
The possibilities (if I've got them right):
Cornell wins - we are #7 and Denver is #2.
Union wins and at least one of Mich. and RIT wins - Cornell is #10 and Bemidji #7.
Union, NMU and SH win - Cornell is #11.
That's what I'm getting also.

Date: March 20, 2010 09:50PM

If Michigan holds on, our regional, if they go by the numbers, could be:
2 Denver, 7 Cornell, 10 No. Mich, 15 RIT

Posted by: Lauren '06 (128.189.227.---)
Date: March 20, 2010 09:53PM

jkahn
If Michigan holds on, our regional, if they go by the numbers, could be:
2 Denver, 7 Cornell, 10 No. Mich, 15 RIT
Pretty sweet bracket, especially if Denver continues to struggle.

Posted by: ansky629 (---.wireless.umnet.umich.edu)
Date: March 20, 2010 10:07PM

Michigan finished off Northern 2-1. Looks like it will be Denver-RIT and Cornell-Northern in Albany next weekend.

Date: March 20, 2010 10:29PM

3-14, 6-11 looks like Wisc. - Vermont, St. Cloud - UNH, so they could put them in Albany

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2010 10:36PM by jkahn.

Date: March 20, 2010 10:29PM

ansky629
Michigan finished off Northern 2-1. Looks like it will be Denver-RIT and Cornell-Northern in Albany next weekend.

I still am not sure whether it'll be Albany or St. Paul. Hopefully having RIT and Cornell there will make the attendance issue push them over the edge to put it in Albany.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 20, 2010 10:40PM

Its amazing that there's not one intra-conference issue in the raw 1-16, 2-15, etc matchups this year.

Who are the hosts this year? Trying to run through it myself.

Date: March 20, 2010 10:44PM

DeltaOne81
Its amazing that there's not one intra-conference issue in the raw 1-16, 2-15, etc matchups this year.

Hosts are all out: Minn., Notre Dame, RPI, Holy Cross

Posted by: nyc94 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 20, 2010 10:45PM

DeltaOne81

Albany: RPI
Fort Wayne: Notre Dame
Worcester: Holy Cross
St. Paul: Minnesota

Date: March 20, 2010 10:47PM

Wow, talk about simple-as-can-be.

The straight-up result would put us in Minnesota. The question is will the committee combine the flight-is-a-flight concept with attendance and put us in Albany. We'll see.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2010 10:54PM by DeltaOne81.

Date: March 20, 2010 10:47PM

Miami - UAH, Bemidji - Yale
Denver - RIT, Cornell - No. Mich.
Wisc. - Vermont, SCS - UNH
BC - Alaska, No. Dak. - Michigan

Date: March 20, 2010 10:52PM

Yeah, its either UNH and Vermont in albany, or Cornell and RIT. Who knows who wins out for attendance in that one.

Posted by: Jacob 03 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 20, 2010 10:59PM

Jacob '06
Yeah, its either UNH and Vermont in albany, or Cornell and RIT. Who knows who wins out for attendance in that one.

I don't know, but I'm pretty sure who wins out for attendance in St. Paul between Wisconsin/St.Cloud and Denver/N.Michigan (the other teams in those pods).

Date: March 20, 2010 11:00PM

USCHO's Jayson Moy agrees:
[www.uscho.com]

Date: March 20, 2010 11:07PM

Adam thinks they'll send us to Albany. The brackets look to be a no-brainer this year though.

[www.collegehockeynews.com]

Posted by: releck97 (---.aanet.org)
Date: March 21, 2010 11:03AM

In case you were not aware: NCAA Selection Show: Today, 11:30 AM. ESPN2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login