Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Harvard 0 at Cornell 3 Game 2 Postgame

Posted by billhoward 
Harvard 0 at Cornell 3 Game 2 Postgame
Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 13, 2010 09:23PM

Solid effort, good defense, and if the scoreboard was right, we outshot Harvard two to one. Scrivens gets another shutout against Harvard this season. Way to go. Another multi-point game for Riley Nash and his uptempo scoring the last half-dozen games.

On to Albany, where it sounds like we play game 2 if Yale wins tonight and tomorrow. LGR!

Re: Harvard 0 at Cornell 3 Game 2 Postgame
Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 13, 2010 10:02PM

And the most important question: Were there fish on the ice again?

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 13, 2010 10:09PM

David Harding

Yes, there were in fact fish on the ice again tonight. I'd say there may have been slightly more fish tonight than last night. And unlike last night, none were thrown at a time when it could have gotten us a delay of game penalty.

Posted by: sah67 (---.rdns.blackberry.net)
Date: March 13, 2010 10:34PM

andyw2100
David Harding

And unlike last night, none were thrown at a time when it could have gotten us a delay of game penalty. .

Actually there was a fish thrown after the 2nd goal tonight, but fortunately that was the goal that was reviewed, so there was already a "delay of game" and the refs let it slide.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: March 13, 2010 10:42PM

sah67
andyw2100
David Harding

And unlike last night, none were thrown at a time when it could have gotten us a delay of game penalty. .

Actually there was a fish thrown after the 2nd goal tonight, but fortunately that was the goal that was reviewed, so there was already a "delay of game" and the refs let it slide.

Not usually in favor of mob justice, but hopefully that resulted in a severe beat down.

Date: March 13, 2010 11:09PM

What was going on in Section B, and possibly Section A between the second and third periods, before the band played the Alma Mater?

Date: March 13, 2010 11:20PM

With the win, Cornell has the most advances to the ECAC Final Four for the first time in history since 1984, as they surpass Clarkson.

Since Schafer (15 years), the number of ECAC F4 appearances by team is:

11 Cornell
9 Harvard
7 Clarkson
6 St. Lawrence
5 Colgate
5 Dartmouth
5 Princeton
4 RPI
2 Yale*
1 Brown*
1 Quinnipiac*
0 Union*

* Still alive this year

Schafer's 26 ECAC playoff series advances are nearly as many as Harkness and Bertrand combined (30).
Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2010 11:31PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: sah67 (---.syrcnycan-ubr01.nyroc.rr.com)
Date: March 13, 2010 11:33PM

andyw2100
What was going on in Section B, and possibly Section A between the second and third periods, before the band played the Alma Mater?

The passing of the cowbell. Perhaps Elie will fill us in on the new designee.

Posted by: A-ron (71.167.166.---)
Date: March 14, 2010 01:15AM

I noticed that after the game the team did a little victory lap around the ice...when did they stop inviting the fans onto the ice after the final playoff win at home? That was one of my favorite moments as a Cornell fan! I remember immediately after the win seeing the entire team gesture to the stands saying "come join us." Is this a new policy from athletics or the coach or did people just decide they didn't feel like it? Should I blame its absence on the success of the basketball team?

Posted by: imafrshmn (---.resnet.stonybrook.edu)
Date: March 14, 2010 01:55AM

The last time the fans went on the ice was after Matt Moulson scored to end the second 2OT QF against Clarkson in 2006. I don't know why it hasn't happened since, and I think it's a shame. The players are our fellow students, and I think not letting them celebrate with the student faithful is an unwise social barrier. The team is enough in their own world, socially, as it is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2010 01:55AM by imafrshmn.

Posted by: Tom Lento (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: March 14, 2010 03:01AM

A-ron
I noticed that after the game the team did a little victory lap around the ice...when did they stop inviting the fans onto the ice after the final playoff win at home? That was one of my favorite moments as a Cornell fan! I remember immediately after the win seeing the entire team gesture to the stands saying "come join us." Is this a new policy from athletics or the coach or did people just decide they didn't feel like it? Should I blame its absence on the success of the basketball team?

That moment really lost something for me after they went to the seamless glass, since fans were no longer allowed to jump over the boards and had to file onto the ice through the Zamboni doors. I'm pretty sure the last year with the old glass was 99-00, and the team hadn't been to the ECACs in 3 years. I remember Ryan Moynihan beckoning to the crowd as the team gathered at center ice for the salute. Of course, at that time getting to the ECAC semi-final was a key accomplishment for the team, and only 1/4 of the student fan base remembered the last time it happened. In 95-96 the team didn't beckon, but getting to the ECACs twice in a row was still a pretty tremendous accomplishment given where the team had been just a few years earlier and everyone in the student section rushed the ice pretty much the instant the handshakes were done.

I wasn't around when they stopped doing it, but I suspect it's related to the most recent renovation. It may not be possible to get the fans down to ice level anymore, or there may not be enough exits down there for the school to allow (potentially) a few thousand people at ice level. Anyone know if fans have been on the ice with the team since they put in all of that new seating and the tunnel behind the Cornell bench and all that?

Posted by: Tom Lento (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: March 14, 2010 03:03AM

imafrshmn
The last time the fans went on the ice was after Matt Moulson scored to end the second 2OT QF against Clarkson in 2006. I don't know why it hasn't happened since, and I think it's a shame. The players are our fellow students, and I think not letting them celebrate with the student faithful is an unwise social barrier. The team is enough in their own world, socially, as it is.

Ok, I take that back. I was around when they stopped doing the on the ice thing, I just was out of town most of that year. Anyway, according to the Internet Cornell renovated the rink in the spring of 2006, so I'm guessing that's the cause.

Date: March 14, 2010 09:16AM

sah67
andyw2100

The passing of the cowbell. Perhaps Elie will fill us in on the new designee.

I thought that could have been what it was.

Elie certainly held everyone's attention with whatever he was saying for quite some time. I couldn't hear anything, of course, from my seats on the D side of C, but it looked like he was addressing most of A and B, and everyone was listening and cheering every few seconds for a good long time.

So Elie--what were you saying?

Thanks!

Posted by: sah67 (---.syrcnycan-ubr01.nyroc.rr.com)
Date: March 14, 2010 10:35AM

In case anyone wants to relive our goals from the Harvard series, the ECAC has the B2 highlights posted on the right side of their homepage. Riley's 1st goal from Friday is truly worth watching over and over.

Posted by: ebilmes (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 14, 2010 10:58AM

andyw2100
So Elie--what were you saying?

Thanks!

I'm hoping the new guy will get on here soon to introduce himself. I made a similar speech to what Ari and Doug did the last couple of times; I thanked the Lynah Faithful, announced my own record of going to games (78 of last 81), and singled out a few people who made a strong effort to get to games. I then announced that I was passing down the bell to Robert Schur '12. It took a while because people were applauding after each line. Sorry that people couldn't hear in C or D; I'm not that loud!

Date: March 14, 2010 11:08AM

ebilmes
Sorry that people couldn't hear in C or D; I'm not that loud!

No problem! The fact that you had the attention of what appeared to be at least two full sections, and probably some people on the B side of C, was quite impressive.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 14, 2010 11:16AM

Tom Lento
A-ron

That moment really lost something for me after they went to the seamless glass, since fans were no longer allowed to jump over the boards and had to file onto the ice through the Zamboni doors. I'm pretty sure the last year with the old glass was 99-00,

The change to the higher glass happened after the December 2006 Union - RPI @ Cornell series. I seem to remember the change occurred over winter break rather than in the off season. Was there another change in glass before that?

Here are some of the shots I made that weekend in 2006.

[elf.elynah.com]

Posted by: CUontheslopes (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 14, 2010 12:05PM

Not to switch gears from the discussion of the glass, but I thought that was one of the more complete games I've seen Cornell play in a long, long time. It was a night when the breaks didn't seem to be going our way. We hit a crossbar, had a bunch of shots go just wide, Richter played a solid game in net against us, but we pulled it out. Cornell was clearly the better team, but I've seen us drop games like that too many times in the past. This was old-school Cornell/Harvard hockey. If you closed your eyes, you could've thought you were back in '03 or '05. Bodies were flying all over the ice - both teams played with a mean streak. It was great to watch. Cornell finally clicked this weekend. The passing was very crisp and our old bugaboo, the breakout, was actually a strength even when Harvard dropped 2 forecheckers. If Cornell can find a way to keep playing this style - imposing its will on its opponents by outhitting them, I like our chances...a lot.

Some other notes:

- Gallagher's first goal was the PP play that he scored so many goals on earlier in the season - the beautiful skip pass from the slot to the backdoor. Glad to see we still have that one in the playbook. When it works, it's beautiful to watch, like watching a backdoor cut in the basketball.

- Brendan Nash had a decent game overall, but had 2 horrific turnovers again that led to great Harvard scoring chances. I think that unfortunately, that's what we're going to get at this point - he's good for one or two absolutely boneheaded turnovers a game, with some great offensive plays thrown in.

- Has anyone noted that Greening has ZERO penalty minutes to date? That's an incredible stat and shows you just how dominant he is. He skates so hard and moves his feet so well that he's always in position. He played a GREAT game last night.

- For one, I liked the victory lap around the rink. The team was fired up and so were the fans. Would it be nice to go on the ice? Sure, but seriously? That's not something that's a particularly safe idea. I have no problem with Cornell ('s legal dept.) not allowing it.

Posted by: Ronald '09 (---.rutgers.edu)
Date: March 14, 2010 12:13PM

CUontheslopes

- Has anyone noted that Greening has ZERO penalty minutes to date? That's an incredible stat and shows you just how dominant he is. He skates so hard and moves his feet so well that he's always in position. He played a GREAT game last night.

Greening has 29 PIM this year ( [www.ecachockey.com] ). Do you not remember his 5 minute major and game misconduct against Q earlier this year? Other than that, his total is pretty low though. That one penalty counts for 15 PIM right?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2010 12:15PM by Ronald '09.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 14, 2010 12:16PM

CUontheslopes
Not to switch gears from the discussion of the glass, but I thought that was one of the more complete games I've seen Cornell play in a long, long time. It was a night when the breaks didn't seem to be going our way. We hit a crossbar, had a bunch of shots go just wide, Richter played a solid game in net against us, but we pulled it out. Cornell was clearly the better team, but I've seen us drop games like that too many times in the past. This was old-school Cornell/Harvard hockey. If you closed your eyes, you could've thought you were back in '03 or '05. Bodies were flying all over the ice - both teams played with a mean streak. It was great to watch. Cornell finally clicked this weekend. The passing was very crisp and our old bugaboo, the breakout, was actually a strength even when Harvard dropped 2 forecheckers. If Cornell can find a way to keep playing this style - imposing its will on its opponents by outhitting them, I like our chances...a lot.

Some other notes:

- Gallagher's first goal was the PP play that he scored so many goals on earlier in the season - the beautiful skip pass from the slot to the backdoor. Glad to see we still have that one in the playbook. When it works, it's beautiful to watch, like watching a backdoor cut in the basketball.

- Brendan Nash had a decent game overall, but had 2 horrific turnovers again that led to great Harvard scoring chances. I think that unfortunately, that's what we're going to get at this point - he's good for one or two absolutely boneheaded turnovers a game, with some great offensive plays thrown in.

- For one, I liked the victory lap around the rink. The team was fired up and so were the fans. Would it be nice to go on the ice? Sure, but seriously? That's not something that's a particularly safe idea. I have no problem with Cornell ('s legal dept.) not allowing it.
Great posting. Agree 100% with everything you wrote. Classic Cornell hockey.

This one sentence (describing the first period) from the Harvard Athletics write-up on the game sums it up nicely:

"Harvard put the puck in the offensive corners for some long stretches, but Scrivens stopped all three Crimson shots on net."

When "putting the puck in the offensive corners" is the highlight of your play...

Posted by: CUontheslopes (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 14, 2010 12:20PM

Ronald '09
CUontheslopes

Greening has 29 PIM this year ( [www.ecachockey.com] ). Do you not remember his 5 minute major and game misconduct against Q earlier this year? Other than that, his total is pretty low though. That one penalty counts for 15 PIM right?

My apologies - I was looking here:

[www.uscho.com]

And, now that you mention it, yes I do recall it. Mea culpa.

Posted by: amerks127 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 14, 2010 12:23PM

CUontheslopes
Ronald '09
CUontheslopes

My apologies - I was looking here:

[www.uscho.com]

And, now that you mention it, yes I do recall it. Mea culpa.

Greening also had the final penalty of the game on Friday.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 14, 2010 01:25PM

CUontheslopes

Some other notes:

Agree, especially on the breakout. I've thought that this year our most vulnerable position has been when a defenseman was standing, with the puck, behind the net. Yes we often did it to get a line change, but it also allows the opposition to set up a forecheck. More often than not, last night when we got the puck we immediately started skating and passing it out. It was even different than Friday's game. Hopefully we have picked up the idea and we won't all be moaning when we seem unable to breakout, leading to turnovers. If so that could be the final piece in our puzzle.

Date: March 14, 2010 01:41PM

Deja vu? Check out these two pics:

[www.theithacajournal.com]

[www.cornellbigred.com]

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 14, 2010 02:57PM

It must be those funny lights at Lynah that the photographers complain about - changing the colors, and numbers, and... innocent

Re: Harvard 0 at Cornell 3 Game 2 Postgame - news clips
Date: March 15, 2010 10:26AM

Harvard Crimson as of Monday morning has the game one story posted, only. [www.thecrimson.com]

B. Marjorie Gullick, Crimson Staff Writer
After an impressive sweep of Princeton last weekend in the first round of ECAC playoffs, the Harvard men’s hockey team (9-20-3, 7-11-3 ECAC) dropped the first game of a three-game quarterfinal series to No. 9 Cornell (18-8-4, 13-5-3 ECAC) on Friday night. The Big Red used the energy of its fans, the talent of its freshmen, and the effectiveness of its power play in a dominant 5-1 win over the Crimson at Lynah Rink.

Yale Daily News reported on the Bulldogs' three-game loss to Brown. [www.yaledailynews.com]
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2010 10:35AM by billhoward.

Date: March 15, 2010 10:55AM

billhoward
Yale Daily News reported on the Bulldogs' three-game loss to Brown. [www.yaledailynews.com]
With this quote from Keith Allain:

“I thought we showed great discipline getting through the hooks, the holes [I assume this should read "holds," or the ice at Ingalls really needs work.;-)], the hacks, the whacks that were allowed to go on in the slot area in front of their net.”

You'd think he was an SLU grad.

Posted by: marty (---.sub-75-236-16.myvzw.com)
Date: March 15, 2010 11:52AM

Did anyone else catch the Qpac announcers bellyaching about no penalties against Union last night? That was their banter during the last few minutes of the third.

Posted by: Rita (---.med.miami.edu)
Date: March 15, 2010 12:03PM

marty
Did anyone else catch the Qpac announcers bellyaching about no penalties against Union last night? That was their banter during the last few minutes of the third.

It seemed to me that they were belly-aching for most of the game about the lack of calls on Union. It was very annoying and I felt like screaming "stop the homerism" already, please.

I did enjoy the first intermission trip down memory lane and my childhood in CT with Dan Fridgen and Chris Kotsopoulos and their days with the Hartford Whalers. All that was missing was "Brass Bonanza" **] playing in the background.

I think Kotsopoulos wore #24 while playing with the whale, and if that is true, why do I remember that factoid and not what I wanted to get out of the room I just entered?

Posted by: dbilmes (72.10.101.---)
Date: March 15, 2010 12:33PM

billhoward
Harvard Crimson as of Monday morning has the game one story posted, only. [www.thecrimson.com]

The Crimson story also has Riley Nash listed as a freshman. We wish!

Date: March 15, 2010 12:48PM

dbilmes
billhoward

The Crimson story also has Riley Nash listed as a freshman. We wish!
The Crimson hockey writer is a freshman. Rookie jitters? I read somewhere that Riley is a senior. Oops, I wrote that. Sorry.

Posted by: JasonN95 (---.nyc.deshaw.com)
Date: March 15, 2010 01:26PM

Al DeFlorio
billhoward
With this quote from Keith Allain:

“I thought we showed great discipline getting through the hooks, the holes [I assume this should read "holds," or the ice at Ingalls really needs work.;-)], the hacks, the whacks that were allowed to go on in the slot area in front of their net.”

You'd think he was an SLU grad.

Well, Schafer did something similar when he called out the refs during Cornell's series with RPI a year or two back. And it worked. Allain's mistake was waiting until the series was over to speak up. :-}

Posted by: dbilmes (69.183.41.---)
Date: March 15, 2010 04:50PM

Great quote by Scrivens in Monday's Ithaca Journal:

"I'm going to be able to call these guys up in 20 years and say 'Hey remember that last game we played at home and how crazy the fans were?' We're not going to remember the score. We're not going to remember who scored, but we're going to remember the rink and the fans and the atmosphere which is what it's all about, I think."

Posted by: amerks127 (---.opac.cornell.edu)
Date: March 15, 2010 06:13PM

dbilmes

"I'm going to be able to call these guys up in 20 years and say 'Hey remember that last game we played at home and how crazy the fans were?' We're not going to remember the score. We're not going to remember who scored, but we're going to remember the rink and the fans and the atmosphere which is what it's all about, I think."

Reminds me of one of the great quotes from Miracle:

Herb Brooks
The important thing is that those twenty boys know in twenty years, they didn't leave anything on the table. They played their hearts out. That's the important thing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2010 06:13PM by amerks127.

Posted by: JasonN95 (---.dsl2.mon.ny.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 15, 2010 08:25PM

dbilmes

Perhaps that should be put a large plaque placed somewhere prominently in Lynah where all recruits will have a chance to see it.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 15, 2010 08:38PM

JasonN95
dbilmes

Perhaps that should be put a large plaque placed somewhere prominently in Lynah where all recruits will have a chance to see it.

Damn straight. I will state for the record that I would be willing to buy such a thing for Cornell if they want to put it up in a prominent place.

Posted by: mnagowski (---.bflony.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 15, 2010 09:46PM

Kyle Rose
JasonN95
dbilmes

Damn straight. I will state for the record that I would be willing to buy such a thing for Cornell if they want to put it up in a prominent place.

I'm pretty certain that the powers that be would take you up on that offer.

And if not, you could always put it up at the Chapter House.

Posted by: Killer (---.c3-0.nat-ubr5.sbo-nat.ma.cable.rcn.com)
Date: March 15, 2010 09:58PM

Kyle Rose
JasonN95
dbilmes

Count me in for a contribution

Posted by: BCrespi (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 15, 2010 10:48PM

dbilmes

He's had a truly great career, much better than I would have expected. More than anything though, that kid just gets it. I'll miss him for that even more than his play.

Date: March 15, 2010 10:57PM

BCrespi
More than anything though, that kid [Scrivens] just gets it. I'll miss him for that even more than his play.
His mask art made that clear right from the start.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2010 10:57PM by Al DeFlorio.

Posted by: imafrshmn (---.resnet.stonybrook.edu)
Date: March 15, 2010 11:06PM

BCrespi
More than anything though, that kid [Scrivens] just gets it. I'll miss him for that even more than his play.

Agreed. As someone who's had some conversations with Ben over the years, I can attest to his ability to put his own athletic involvement in its proper perspective. It's much in the same way that Jon Jacques (men's basketball) has melded an insider's and an outsider's perspective on Cornell basketball in his nytimes blog posts.

Posted by: Towerroad (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: March 16, 2010 10:04AM

I have lived in the Boston area for about 32 years. Over the years I have had occasion to witness Cantab elitism in its many forms. As a loyal Cornell alum I recognize this for the drivel that it is. I want to extend my heartfelt congratulations thanks to the Mens and Womens teams for administering a rubber biscuit beat down on their respective Sucks teams this year. It was most satisfying.

Thank you, Lets Go Red!

Posted by: ithacat (---.cbs.cornell.edu)
Date: March 16, 2010 10:07AM

Kyle Rose
JasonN95
dbilmes

Someone else had suggested buying Ben's helmet as well. The helmet, a plaque, and a display case would be a nice addition to Lynah. Would the CHA be willing to make this happen?

Posted by: billhoward (---.client.stsn.net)
Date: March 16, 2010 01:54PM

dbilmes

Ought to get him to say it on video. Ought to have somebody - anybody doing video documentaries for a senior project? Over at IC? - who captures them on tape now so that when they come back for their team reunion (and this is a big part of how Cornell wil do reunions - oriented by your interest, not justyour class) it's there.

Date: March 16, 2010 03:00PM

billhoward
Ought to get him to say it to prospects

FYP ;-)

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: March 16, 2010 05:33PM

JasonN95
dbilmes

The way this gets done is someone who cares enough to bring it up to the staff, after the season, and pointing out that there are many of us who would contribute to putting this up. I'd suggest right around the student entrance, so you would see it while you wait. If we could get a good closeup of his helmet it would be great. Any takers out there in eLynah land?

I did send Scrivens an email after the quarters, commenting upon his seemingly genuine feeling for the pepband and fans. I don't know who saw it, but I think he was the leader in having the team skate around the ice at the end.

Posted by: JasonN95 (---.nyc.deshaw.com)
Date: March 16, 2010 05:45PM

Jim Hyla
JasonN95
dbilmes

The way this gets done is someone who cares enough to bring it up to the staff, after the season, and pointing out that there are many of us who would contribute to putting this up. I'd suggest right around the student entrance, so you would see it while you wait. If we could get a good closeup of his helmet it would be great. Any takers out there in eLynah land?

I did send Scrivens an email after the quarters, commenting upon his seemingly genuine feeling for the pepband and fans. I don't know who saw it, but I think he was the leader in having the team skate around the ice at the end.

I'd gladly contribute to that. And I think the photo of his helmet is more viable than having the actual helmet (which would be ripe for theft and, I'd wager, Ben has no desire to part with it). It doesn't seem as though he did it as much this season, perhaps having mellowed as a senior, but I remember how he'd often give an extra salute to the fans on the way off the ice after a good game, which would always get an extra cheer. No doubt about his affection for the Faithful.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.115.197.118.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: March 21, 2010 07:22PM

JasonN95
Jim Hyla
JasonN95
dbilmes

I'd gladly contribute to that. And I think the photo of his helmet is more viable than having the actual helmet (which would be ripe for theft and, I'd wager, Ben has no desire to part with it). It doesn't seem as though he did it as much this season, perhaps having mellowed as a senior, but I remember how he'd often give an extra salute to the fans on the way off the ice after a good game, which would always get an extra cheer. No doubt about his affection for the Faithful.

I had a chance to speak with Scrivens' parents at the game. His dad said he (dad) absolutely loves the atmosphere at Lynah, and that he told all of his friends if they ever had a chance they should visit, just to see it. I also let them know that Ben had been saying some very nice things about the fans, and to tell him that we really appreciated it and the feelings were mutual.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login