Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Don't be packin' at the ECACs

Posted by TimV 
Don't be packin' at the ECACs
Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 05, 2010 01:48PM

Either weapons or adult beverages. Heightened Security at the Times Union Center

Re: Don't be packin' at the ECACs
Posted by: dbilmes (69.183.41.---)
Date: March 05, 2010 03:57PM

I hope the cowbell can still make it into the arena!

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: March 05, 2010 06:52PM

TimV
Either weapons or adult beverages. Heightened Security at the Times Union Center
The article doesn't say anything about adult beverages.

Posted by: marty (---.sub-75-194-156.myvzw.com)
Date: March 05, 2010 07:43PM

TimV

I usually sneak in peanuts and cashews....but for the past two years they have sold beer, right?

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 05, 2010 08:56PM

marty
TimV

I usually sneak in peanuts and cashews....but for the past two years they have sold beer, right?
I believe so. Not excessively expensive either, if I recall correctly.

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 05, 2010 10:24PM

I think the following excerpt from the article is interesting:

"For sports events, beginning with this weekend's men's and women's Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference basketball tournament, the center is working with MAAC, schools and event officials to keep fans in separate locations inside the 17,500-seat arena.

Signs on the concourse level as well as in the box office area will direct fans to the appropriate sections so they can sit with other fans for that school."

People are coming in with reserved seats. If they are really going to direct people to sit with fans of their own school that means they are basically making official the fact that ushers are not going to care where you sit. I mean that's always been the case for the ECACs, but now they're taking it a step further.

Posted by: judy (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 05, 2010 11:08PM

I wonder how this will affect the people who MUST SIT IN THE SEATS THEY BOUGHT!!!! I wonder if they'll have a fit.

Posted by: cu722001 (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 06, 2010 08:30AM

Don't we have a couple of games before Albany? This sounds uncomfortably like the chatter on the NY Giants board before they played the Saints. "What happens (not if we beat them, or lose to them) if we beat them real bad?" Counting chickens is the main cause of eggs not hatching.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: March 06, 2010 09:54AM

cu722001
Counting chickens is the main cause of eggs not hatching.

Lack of incubation is probably a bigger cause.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 06, 2010 10:42AM

Trotsky
cu722001

The biggest cause: breakfast.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 06, 2010 02:11PM

Josh '99
Trotsky
cu722001

The biggest cause: breakfast.

And all along I thought it was the big bad WOOF!

Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 06, 2010 02:14PM

cu722001
Don't we have a couple of games before Albany? This sounds uncomfortably like the chatter on the NY Giants board before they played the Saints. "What happens (not if we beat them, or lose to them) if we beat them real bad?" Counting chickens is the main cause of eggs not hatching.

Nothing in my post says Cornell will be playing in Albany. smashfreak

The part about the adult beverages similarly doesn't exclude arena beer. But go ahead and try and bring in some tequila of your own. Please be sure to leave a post on JSID about how that worked out for you.**]

Posted by: mnagowski (---.bflony.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 06, 2010 03:24PM

judy
I wonder how this will affect the people who MUST SIT IN THE SEATS THEY BOUGHT!!!! I wonder if they'll have a fit.

Oy. I had that problem last year in Albany with a couple of Cornellian assholes.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: March 06, 2010 04:19PM

mnagowski
judy

Oy. I had that problem last year in Albany with a couple of Cornellian assholes.
I don't see why someone shouldn't be able to sit in the seats they bought. Just because we want them to move so we can stand, or what, doesn't mean they have to. Certainly the attitude that they were assholes for not doing it will instill good feelings.

Posted by: cu722001 (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 06, 2010 04:36PM

TimV
cu722001

Nothing in my post says Cornell will be playing in Albany. smashfreak

The part about the adult beverages similarly doesn't exclude arena beer. But go ahead and try and bring in some tequila of your own. Please be sure to leave a post on JSID about how that worked out for you.**]

No guns or hardstuff in MSG either, for those who aren't interested. Cowboys Stadium I'm not too sure about.

Date: March 06, 2010 05:06PM

Jim Hyla
mnagowski
judy

I don't see why someone shouldn't be able to sit in the seats they bought. Just because we want them to move so we can stand, or what, doesn't mean they have to. Certainly the attitude that they were assholes for not doing it will instill good feelings.

It didn't help that 1) somebody was already sitting in my seats, 2) I have some mobility issues, 3) the rows immediately in front and behind us were completely empty, and 4) their attitude exemplified 'asshole'.

Posted by: Killer (---.c3-0.nat-ubr5.sbo-nat.ma.cable.rcn.com)
Date: March 07, 2010 02:08PM

I remember having a few laughs with people in the line for the 2003 ECACs. Security was heightened because the Iraq war had just gotten underway, and the topic of of conversation was how impressed we'd be if the terrorists even knew there was hockey going on in Albany.

Posted by: ugarte (---.z75-46-65.customer.algx.net)
Date: March 11, 2010 12:40PM

Jim Hyla
mnagowski
judy

If there are a lot of empty seats around and a general feeling of camaraderie in a section full of fans of the same team - few of whom are in their "own" seats - being the stick-in-the-mud pointing to his/her tickets is pretty clear assholery. YMMV.

Posted by: JasonN95 (---.nyc.deshaw.com)
Date: March 11, 2010 01:27PM

cu722001

Even if Cornell doesn't make it, that doesn't mean the arena shouldn't give Cornell fans their own section. :-P

I recall the first ECAC tournament there after 9/11. I was not allowed to bring in an "executive" style pocket knife. Apparently there was a chance I could hijack the arena with a combination of the 1.5 inch blade, nail file, and toothpick, notwithstanding the presence of armed officers within the building and the fact that it is very firmly attached to the ground.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 11, 2010 02:23PM

ugarte
Jim Hyla
mnagowski
judy

If there are a lot of empty seats around and a general feeling of camaraderie in a section full of fans of the same team - few of whom are in their "own" seats - being the stick-in-the-mud pointing to his/her tickets is pretty clear assholery. YMMV.
There are a lot of assumptions there, and again the ifs are the problem. Not knowing the situation, I'd rather not be calling someone assholes. Sometimes it's how things are asked that determines the outcome.

Posted by: ugarte (---.z75-46-65.customer.algx.net)
Date: March 11, 2010 02:44PM

Jim Hyla
ugarte
Jim Hyla
mnagowski
judy

There are a lot of assumptions there, and again the ifs are the problem. Not knowing the situation, I'd rather not be calling someone assholes. Sometimes it's how things are asked that determines the outcome.
And I am willing to trust mnag's contemporaneous judgment. Verdict: Assholes.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 11, 2010 02:46PM

ugarte
Jim Hyla
ugarte
Jim Hyla
mnagowski
judy

So be it.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 11, 2010 06:22PM

Jim Hyla
ugarte
Jim Hyla
ugarte
Jim Hyla
mnagowski
judy

So be it.
I'm with Jim. So much depends on the situation. If someone has seats in the Cornell section, comes early to watch the #1 seed play, sees the section fill pretty much up around him, goes out during the break for a slice or a burger, comes back to find the section close to filled (as the ones near center ice pretty much were last year), and then finds others squatting in his seats, I think it's perfectly proper to request the seats back. If the squatter gives him a hard time, the squatter is the asshole.

It's one thing to claim empty seats in a sparsely-filled section (we did this in Foxboro last May after the Dukies left, heads-hanging), but where seats in a section are scarce, why should a legitimate seat-holder have to scavenge for empties?

Date: March 12, 2010 12:14AM

ugarte
Jim Hyla
ugarte
Jim Hyla
mnagowski
judy

Thank you. My father and two classmates agreed.

Posted by: redice (---.sub-75-195-48.myvzw.com)
Date: March 12, 2010 07:23AM

Al DeFlorio
Jim Hyla
ugarte
Jim Hyla
ugarte
Jim Hyla
mnagowski
judy

So be it.
I'm with Jim. So much depends on the situation. If someone has seats in the Cornell section, comes early to watch the #1 seed play, sees the section fill pretty much up around him, goes out during the break for a slice or a burger, comes back to find the section close to filled (as the ones near center ice pretty much were last year), and then finds others squatting in his seats, I think it's perfectly proper to request the seats back. If the squatter gives him a hard time, the squatter is the asshole.

It's one thing to claim empty seats in a sparsely-filled section (we did this in Foxboro last May after the Dukies left, heads-hanging), but where seats in a section are scarce, why should a legitimate seat-holder have to scavenge for empties?

I'm with Al on this one. My wife has mobility issues. She's not in a wheelchair. But, climbing a lot stairs is painful for her. We buy specific seats in an effort to minimize the stair climbing. If we came to our seats & someone refused to move (as if it was their God-given right to sit where they want), I would say the "asshole" is on the other foot!

-Ned Harkness

Posted by: RichH (65.14.229.---)
Date: March 12, 2010 08:02AM

redice
I would say the "asshole" is on the other foot!

Ew. Thanks for that...image?

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: March 12, 2010 11:21AM

redice
I'm with Al on this one. My wife has mobility issues. She's not in a wheelchair. But, climbing a lot stairs is painful for her. We buy specific seats in an effort to minimize the stair climbing. If we came to our seats & someone refused to move (as if it was their God-given right to sit where they want), I would say the "asshole" is on the other foot!

I hope 99 out of a 100 people -- even teenagers -- would move in that situation. There have been a couple run-ins with jerks in the Cornell crowd, invariably in Albany for some reason, but if you keep your head you'll quickly get the entire row telling the little d-bags to move along.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login