Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Jon Gleed

Posted by Chris S. 03 
Jon Gleed
Posted by: Chris S. 03 (---)
Date: February 10, 2003 02:06PM

By the way, anyone think Gleed got a beatdown for that penalty in the last minutes against Vermont? I was kinda pissed to see LeNevue miss out on breaking a record for shutouts on account of some no-name frosh.

-Chris

Re: Jon Gleed
Posted by: Ben Doyle 03 (---)
Date: February 10, 2003 02:23PM

Chris et al,

Back-Off! What's with all the"no name" crap and calling our player "useless"? At least we know his name, whereas your name is NOT known to anyone that cares about hockey! Yes, it was a dumb penalty to take but shit happens and life goes on. We should be talking about how we are watching one of the best teams to play in Ithaca in a while and save the worrying for a rainy day.

BTW, Lenny has to tie the record before he can break it!

Posted by: Greg Berge (---)
Date: February 10, 2003 02:35PM

And for the record, none other than Doug Murray was on the pregame a few weeks ago saying that within a couple years Gleed will be Cornell's best defensive defenseman.

Come on, folks -- just because the team is winning is no reason to start behaving like a bunch of BC fans. Save that kind of crap for NHL boards. These guys are your peers and classmates, and they aren't making a dime.

Date: February 10, 2003 02:36PM

Look, your post expressed basically the exact same sentiments as mine. I'm disappointed that we didn't get the shut out, as are a lot of people. If you're trying to tell me that I don't have a right to express an opinion about a sport because I'm not a professional/famous athlete then I think you're a bit off base.

I understand your knee-jerk reaction to instinctively grunt in defense of Cornell, but it IS possible to be a fan of Cornell hockey while still being disappointed with certain aspects of their play.

For example, I'm also disappointed by how poorly we've done on man-advantages this season. I don't think this should offend you, because in all honesty, what I say isn't going to make Cornell do any worse or better this season.

If you took offense purely to the "no-name" bit, then I'll concede taking that out.

-Chris

Edited: I did miss seeing Jon Gleed on the ice the other 10 games he played in, my bad.

Posted by: jbeaber1998 (---)
Date: February 10, 2003 02:38PM

And, also, they are kicking some butt right now. Enjoy the success!. If you want Cornell teams to bitch about, talk to anyone from the pre-Shafer era. This team has been so much fun to follow, accomplished so much! Just bask in it and enjoy it! The Lynah Faithful are known for their enthusiiasm and LOYALTY! LGR!!!!

-J

Posted by: peterg (---)
Date: February 10, 2003 02:40PM

Chris, you must have missed the other 10 games John played (and played quite well) in.

Posted by: Scersk (---)
Date: February 10, 2003 03:02PM

Hmmm... see one game, miss 10 games: great percentage there, Chris '03. I would certainly annoint myself the head analyst of Cornell hockey with those stats.

Gleed has made some freshman mistakes, but fewer than most freshmen. We might be putting him up there in the Burgoyne or McMeekin category before he's left Cornell. He is a *very* good player.

Anyway, who else can "make them Gleed!"

Date: February 10, 2003 03:15PM

[Q]I would certainly annoint myself the head analyst of Cornell hockey with those stats.[/Q]

You might, but I wouldn't, and for that matter, I didn't. I strongly believe that we would have gotten a shut-out if it weren't for Gleed's penalty. I expressed disappointment over that fact, not realizing that many of you had your own happiness so intricately interwoven with the honor of Jon Gleed. At this point I could just edit my original post, but I have a feeling that would deprive many of you of your fun. So instead, here's what I would have edited my post to read:

By the way, anyone think Gleed got a beatdown for that penalty in the last minutes against Vermont? I was kinda pissed to see LeNevue miss out on breaking a record for shutouts on account of Jon Gleed.

-Chris

Posted by: Ben Doyle 03 (---)
Date: February 10, 2003 03:22PM

Lenny still has to TIE the record before he can break it!:-P

Sorry Chris, that one was way to easy;-)

Posted by: Greg Berge (---)
Date: February 10, 2003 03:24PM

Look, this team is special and every player deserves 100% support. This is the first Cornell squad in far longer than your lifetimes to have a legitimate, no-b.s. chance of taking the whole damn thing. For that to happen, all sorts of little things will have to go perversely right: a fourth line winger putting in a fluke game-winner; a little used defenseman making the play of his life to bust up a sure scoring chance by a Senja or Parise.

Yeah, the Murrays and Bâbys and McRaes will be a big part of it, but don't be surprised if The Moment of the season isn't turned in by Gleed, Iggulden, or any of another dozen underappreciated, virtually unknown cogs who have to bust their asses every shift just to stay on the squad.

With the graduation of the senior class, next year's team will be good, but they will with virtual certainty not be in this position. For an Ivy, this is once in a generation, and only then if you're lucky. Ask Yale, Dartmouth, or Brown, which haven't been there in 40 years. Ask Princeton, which never has. Ask Penn, which never will be.

And not only do you get to enjoy it all, but you're students as well, so you'll remember it ten times more intensely than we old fogies.

Try to be as positive as humanly possible for nine weeks. There's plenty of time to be analytical in the summer.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---)
Date: February 10, 2003 03:25PM

[Q]For example, I'm also disappointed by how poorly we've done on man-advantages this season. I don't think this should offend you, because in all honesty, what I say isn't going to make Cornell do any worse or better this season.[/Q]

1Colorado College 51-of-159 32.1
2Quinnipiac 35-of-121 28.9
3North Dakota 43-of-167 25.7
4Michigan State 35-of-137 25.5
5Northern Michigan 31-of-124 25.0
6St. Cloud State 34-of-136 25.0
7Miami 46-of-184 25.0
8MSU-Mankato 36-of-145 24.8
9Cornell 27-of-110 24.5
10Denver 40-of-167 24.0

And this is *after* like a 1-for-20 skid. You're also talking about a power play that went 5-for-7 (?) on Saturday.

I don't think there's anyone here who doesn't think Gleed made a freshman mistake, and feels very bad about it. I think going as far as to say he "got a beatdown" (I know you didn't mean it literally) implies that it was totally unacceptable and a major problem. $|-| !7 happens, he's a freshman, whatever. Could have done much worse in a more critical situation. I think starting a new thread on the fact that a "no name frosh" should get a "beatdown" and that you were "extremely pissed" seems like a vast overreaction to all of us. Had to you added a post to the end of the Vermont thread saying "shame he took a bad penalty, hope he'll learn from his freshman mistake", I don't think anyone would have jumped on ya.

Temper, temper :-).

Posted by: Give My Regards (---)
Date: February 10, 2003 03:28PM

(piling on, sorry...)

Chris, you are certainly entitled to your opinion, but if you really are "disappointed by how poorly we've done on man-advantages this season", I gotta say you're grading on an awfully tough curve. The Big Red is currently 27-of-110 on PP's, a 24.5% conversion rate, which is 9th in the NCAA. No, it's not as good as last year's 28% rate, and it drops to 21.3% if you take out Saturday's insane 5-7 performance, but trust me -- I've seen legitimately poor PP performance by Cornell (*cough* McCutcheon's teams *cough*, anybody else remember wondering what gods we'd have to sacrifice virgins to to get the damn PP% above 15??). If you're going to give me 24.5%, or even 21.3%, well, just tell me where I need to send the thank-you note.

Sometimes our PP's look aimless. Sometimes shots go wide. Sometimes shots aren't taken. There are even times, Heaven forbid, when the Big Red pulls an 0-fer! But IMHO, there hasn't been much of a problem with the end results.

Posted by: rhovorka (---)
Date: February 10, 2003 03:30PM

Gleed made a mistake and had to watch the results of his mistake from the box. I'm sure he feels bad enough as it is. Perhaps the coaching staff talked to him about it, but I doubt he received a "beatdown" because of it. I don't think that's what this team is about.

Sure, everyone wearing red in that building was disappointed to lose the shutout for Lenny, but in the end, it's winning first, individual records second with this team. As long as Gleed learned from his mistake, I'm OK with it.

In addition, there were a couple other dumb penalties taken that the PK was able to kill off. Were they sucessful that time, or even failed prior to that one time, nobody would have even thought twice about Gleed's penalty.

The responses to your original posts, Chris is because of the baseless disrespecting you laid down on Gleed. If you gave more proof to back up why you don't think he's a good player, then we could discuss. I happen to think he's a valued member of this great defense, and I can easily see him growing into a McMeekin-esque role.

Re: 2003
Posted by: Section A (---)
Date: February 10, 2003 03:57PM

Well said. Very well said.

And remember that last year, it was little-known Jim Abbott (no relation, right?) who scored the game-winning go-ahead goal late in the third period to eliminate Cornell from the NCAA tournament, thereby advancing to the Frozen Four.

And remember as well that Matt Koalska for the Gophers had only scored 9 goals all year before he scored the EAG in the final minute of the third period to send Minnesota on their way to an OT Championship win over Maine.

Anything can happen in those types of games, and as said by Greg in the previous post, anybody can be responsible for those memorable moments.

Iggulden, Gleed, everybody, made the team for a reason. They impressed scouts, and they were, and are, good enough to play here, and they WILL have their opportunities to shine, especially after the seniors graduate.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---)
Date: February 10, 2003 04:14PM

Greg wrote:

This is the first Cornell squad in far longer than your lifetimes to have a legitimate, no-b.s. chance of taking the whole damn thing. For that to happen, all sorts of little things will have to go perversely right: a fourth line winger putting in a fluke game-winner; a little used defenseman making the play of his life to bust up a sure scoring chance by a Senja or Parise.
Like a tying goal--back when fourth lines saw little action--from fourth-liner Eddie Ambis in the 1970 ECAC championship game, when it was beginning to look like Bruce Bullock might steal it for Clarkson.

Posted by: jd212 (---)
Date: February 10, 2003 04:46PM

And remember as well that Matt Koalska for the Gophers had only scored 9 goals all year before he scored the EAG in the final minute of the third period to send Minnesota on their way to an OT Championship win over Maine.

So which is it? An OT win over Maine, or a EAG in the final minute of the third period? laugh

Posted by: ugarte (63.94.240.---)
Date: February 10, 2003 04:56PM

No error in that sentence. Koalska's goal was in the final minute of the third period. It sent them into OT, where someone else scored the GWG. Koalska's goal put them "on their way to" OT.

Posted by: Section A (---)
Date: February 10, 2003 05:01PM

Thank you :-D

Posted by: marty (---)
Date: February 10, 2003 05:33PM

[Q] Like a tying goal--back when fourth lines saw little action--from fourth-liner Eddie Ambis in the 1970 ECAC championship game, when it was beginning to look like Bruce Bullock might steal it for Clarkson.[/Q]

Wasn't Ed also the only American on the team for at least some of his time on the hill. What a great way to make your mark.

I remember when one of my friends walked past Ed with me on campus. The friend looked at me and said "Do you know who that was, it was Eddie Ambis".

Man I would like to walk down that path again.

Enjoy it while you can. You'll look back some day and wish you could attend all the home games and get pumped up over a team like this. I do every week. Enjoy your classmates and as I have said before , remember that they are kids like you and amateurs to boot.

Have fun, enjoy the ride.B-]

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---)
Date: February 10, 2003 06:42PM

Amen, Marty.

Ambis was from Kenmore, NY.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login