Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell in the Olympics

Posted by CUontheslopes 
Cornell in the Olympics
Posted by: CUontheslopes (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 21, 2010 03:28PM

OK, technically not Cornell, but a friendly face, ECAC ref Peter Feola, just made a horrible penalty call during the Russia/Czech Rep. game and was ripped apart by the commentators. Bad call led to the first Russian goal. Glad to see we're not the only ones getting screwed by bad ECAC refereeing.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2010 03:33PM by CUontheslopes.

Re: Cornell in the Olympics
Posted by: Tom Tone (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 21, 2010 03:43PM

Hard to believe he would make a holding call as a linesman. Pretty sure he was the one getting out of the way of the high sticks.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 21, 2010 04:15PM

CUontheslopes
OK, technically not Cornell, but a friendly face, ECAC ref Peter Feola, just made a horrible penalty call during the Russia/Czech Rep. game and was ripped apart by the commentators. Bad call led to the first Russian goal. Glad to see we're not the only ones getting screwed by bad ECAC refereeing.

I'm pretty sure that wasn't Feola's call

Posted by: Flyers1037 (---.hsd1.dc.comcast.net)
Date: February 22, 2010 01:51AM

Some good talk about Douglas from the commentators during the Finland game tonight. "... is the 5th player from Cornell to play in the Olympics, the previous 4 all having played for Canada." I'm fairly tired and out of it so I can't elaborate more. Some good hits from Douglas in the game, but playing his normal strong defensive presence which doesn't involve his name being called very often.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 22, 2010 02:03AM

Flyers1037
Some good talk about Douglas from the commentators during the Finland game tonight. "... is the 5th player from Cornell to play in the Olympics, the previous 4 all having played for Canada." I'm fairly tired and out of it so I can't elaborate more. Some good hits from Douglas in the game, but playing his normal strong defensive presence which doesn't involve his name being called very often.
He's definitely knocked down a few guys though. Starting to attract some more attention from Kenny and Joe now for that - they like that he's keeping Tuomo and Jarkko Ruutu from starting shit.

Posted by: French Rage (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: February 22, 2010 02:04AM

Josh '99
Flyers1037
He's definitely knocked down a few guys though. Starting to attract some more attention from Kenny and Joe now for that - they like that he's keeping Tuomo and Jarkko Ruutu from starting shit.

Yeah at least 3 or so mentions in the last 30 minutes, including one just a second ago.

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 22, 2010 02:10AM

French Rage
Josh '99
Flyers1037

Yeah at least 3 or so mentions in the last 30 minutes, including one just a second ago.
Joe is calling him "Doug" though. Do that at your own risk.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 22, 2010 10:38AM

Also in the first period, on a Sweden breakaway that was about to go the other way, he chugged inside the blue line to keep the puck from crossing out and got off a nice shot on net. Those of us on the the East Coast who stayed up late to watch are paying the price now in inattentiveness at work.

The Finland power play looked pretty potent the first couple times - they went in to the game something like 6x12 on PP - but their prowess was even less than Cornell's-of-late.

Nice hockey converage on MSNBC or CNBC or wherever it wound up. Loved that amazing ENG by the Rhan Kessler with a Canadian defender draped around him, and the Douglas-like hit Alex Ovechkin laid on Jaromir Jagr that led to Russia's winning goal over the Czechs.

Posted by: RichH (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: February 22, 2010 04:11PM

billhoward
Nice hockey converage on MSNBC or CNBC or wherever it wound up. Loved that amazing ENG by the Rhan Kessler with a Canadian defender draped around him,

Kessler was more or less doing the draping in this case. That made the ENG even more impressive, since he basically had to complete a hug in order to get his stick blade to the puck first and swat the puck towards the net.

I happened to record the 2 minutes or so they were talking about Murray's background that Flyers1037 described. I'll try to put it on YouTube when I get back from traveling later in the week.

Great day of hockey and curling despite the Czech loss (although I like the idea of a Russia-Canada knockout that set up). Good think ice dancing or whatever that was was the marquee event on the main NBC coverage. Otherwise I would've felt bad that I missed something interesting. I did turn my head during intermission and saw that the ski-cross thing looked somewhat cool.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: February 23, 2010 12:10AM

Flyers1037

Does that include women's hockey?

Posted by: Tom Lento (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: February 23, 2010 01:17AM

Swampy
Flyers1037

It's possible. I'm pretty sure none of the women's hockey players ever played for team USA, and I only know of 2 past and present (both Canadian, and only one actually graduated from Cornell - the other transferred to a Canadian school).

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: February 23, 2010 07:45AM

Tom Lento
Swampy
Flyers1037

It's possible. I'm pretty sure none of the women's hockey players ever played for team USA, and I only know of 2 past and present (both Canadian, and only one actually graduated from Cornell - the other transferred to a Canadian school).

Too bad they took down the Cornell Olympians banner in Lynah.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 23, 2010 08:55AM

jtwcornell91
Tom Lento
Swampy
Flyers1037

Too bad they took down the Cornell Olympians banner in Lynah.

[www.tbrw.info]

They don't seem to have included women in that statement.

Posted by: ugarte (---.z75-46-65.customer.algx.net)
Date: February 25, 2010 12:10PM

Murray and Sweden were bounced by Slovakia in the late game. Did anyone watch? How did he look? He didn't score or get whistled, so all I know is that he was +1. I presume that means he had an awesome game and the rest of the team let him down.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: February 25, 2010 03:34PM

ugarte
Murray and Sweden were bounced by Slovakia in the late game. Did anyone watch? How did he look? He didn't score or get whistled, so all I know is that he was +1. I presume that means he had an awesome game and the rest of the team let him down.
Murray looked fine, solid on defense and composed with the puck. The rest of Sweden's defensemen forgot to play defense and gave up a ton of odd-man rushes.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 25, 2010 05:23PM

Josh '99
ugarte
Murray looked fine, solid on defense and composed with the puck. The rest of Sweden's defensemen forgot to play defense and gave up a ton of odd-man rushes.
Agree, there wasn't any highlight for him that I can remember, but no problems either. Overall, both Sweden and Russia were major disappointments. No way Canada should have had as easy a time as they did.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login