Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell 4 at Dartmouth 5

Posted by dag14 
Cornell 4 at Dartmouth 5
Posted by: dag14 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 20, 2010 07:15PM

Dartmouth scored in the first minute or so; Riley Nash gets the equalizer at 7:29. I am listening to the game so anyone who is watching, feel free to contribute....
Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2010 08:59PM by dag14.

Re: Cornell 2 at Dartmouth 1
Date: February 20, 2010 07:17PM

Jillson at 9:05

Re: Cornell 3 at Dartmouth 1
Date: February 20, 2010 07:19PM

Nash, Nash to Kennedy

Posted by: upperdeck (---.syr.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 20, 2010 07:59PM

Cornell with 3 pretty quick goals after falling behind. some really nice puck movement on the last 2.. They also has several more quality chances during the period.

Date: February 20, 2010 08:02PM

midway thru the 2nd, Dartmouth gets a couple tips in traffic that whistle past the wide side, cornell mot playing nearly was well.

Date: February 20, 2010 08:05PM

interesting to watch the game with no radio feed, but still hear the local sounds.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 20, 2010 08:11PM

Not to be greedy, but after last night at Harvard, I was hoping for back to back shutouts for Ben. Instead, let's roll up the score. In current Cornell terms, 5-1 would be rolling up the score.

Date: February 20, 2010 08:18PM

Cu had some nice off man chances the last 7-8 min and then failed on a PP with under 4 to go.. shots 28-21 for CU..

Date: February 20, 2010 08:43PM

Dartmouth ppg at 6 something in the 3rd

Re: Cornell 4 at Dartmouth 2
Date: February 20, 2010 08:45PM

Greening from Riley Nash at 8:13

Date: February 20, 2010 08:46PM

Dart scores and Greening comes back soon after with a goal.

Date: February 20, 2010 08:47PM

nichols follows it up with a penalty with 11 to go.

Date: February 20, 2010 08:53PM

billhoward
Not to be greedy, but after last night at Harvard, I was hoping for back to back shutouts for Ben. Instead, let's roll up the score. In current Cornell terms, 5-1 would be rolling up the score.
Correction, maybe we should be happy just to win?

Re: Cornell 4 at Dartmouth 3
Date: February 20, 2010 08:54PM

Not sure how Dartmouth scored the 3rd goal but it sounded ugly...Mike Devin just took a penalty.

Date: February 20, 2010 08:55PM

some huge traffic in front and Dart scores again 4-3

Date: February 20, 2010 08:56PM

4-4....

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 20, 2010 08:59PM

EPIC FAIL...

Re: Cornell 4 at Dartmouth 5

Letdown after Friday?

Re: Cornell 4 at Dartmouth 4

scrivens misplays a puck from the blue line and rhe rebound is put home.. really Dart has done very little with the puck but it keeps going in. cornell with multiple odd mad rushes ending with bad passes and now dart has some jump.

Cu with the last several Pen seems to be losing a step now. and dart goes ahead.

That is four third period goals for Dartmouth.....

Date: February 20, 2010 09:01PM

empty net

Date: February 20, 2010 09:01PM

Cornell time out

Date: February 20, 2010 09:02PM

Lace up Ryan Wittman's skates.

Date: February 20, 2010 09:02PM

I think Scrivens takes the blame for this collapse. bad rebounds and misplays late , and too many PP in a row.

Posted by: CUontheslopes (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 20, 2010 09:04PM

wow this one could prove very costly - Dartmouth has had our number in Hanover, but this seems like another story...From what looked like a win, to a bad BU@MSG-esque tie, to an epic bad loss...

Date: February 20, 2010 09:05PM

the ref really swallow the whistle and the end ignoring 2 calls a tackle , elbow among other things..

Re: Cornell 4 at Dartmouth 5 final
Date: February 20, 2010 09:06PM

Nice job by Dartmouth. Going to be a loooong bus ride back to Ithaca. Best we can hope for is this locks Yale into an ECAC seeding vs. RPI.

Re: Cornell 4 at Dartmouth 5 final
Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 20, 2010 09:10PM

billhoward
Nice job by Dartmouth. Going to be a loooong bus ride back to Ithaca. Best we can hope for is this locks Yale into an ECAC seeding vs. RPI.
Yeah, that's about the only benefit of my having to leave early.

Posted by: Germ (---.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: February 20, 2010 09:14PM

Total meltdown. How do we expect to go far in the EZAC tourney if we can't close out a game like this? I don't think we have a chance of making the ncaa tourney unless we win the ECAC. Meanwhile Yale was down 4-1 to Clarkson with 12 to go and finds a way to win.

Date: February 20, 2010 09:17PM

Germ
Total meltdown. How do we expect to go far in the EZAC tourney if we can't close out a game like this? I don't think we have a chance of making the ncaa tourney unless we win the ECAC. Meanwhile Yale was down 4-1 to Clarkson with 12 to go and finds a way to win.

Let's not overreact too much here. We still have an excellent shot at making the tournament if we make it to Albany. It was a terrible loss, yes and Yale had a great comeback, but the sky is not falling. I think the ECAC is still a 2 bid league.

Posted by: imafrshmn (---.resnet.stonybrook.edu)
Date: February 20, 2010 09:22PM

It was hard to judge our 3rd period performance with the crappy video stream. I'll be interested to hear from those who were there. Did we lack energy? Did the loss of Kennedy hurt the line combinations too badly? Did we get away from playing the lockdown defense we're known for to close out a game? Was Scrivens off his game?

Posted by: mikek (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: February 20, 2010 09:23PM

Cornell falls to 16th in the pairwise, for the moment with games still going on tonight. Union becomes the 2nd ECAC team, moving into 13th.

Date: February 20, 2010 09:26PM

Updated pairwise not posted yet (that I can find) but I'm guessing we'll go to 13-14++. When you take into account the auto bids from the lower conferences I think it's going to be an uphill battle. I guess if we make it to the ECAC finals like last year we have an outside shot...maybe. However, if we DO make it to the NCAAs I like our chances since we seem to own the first round. And if we get placed in Albany we (finally) get some home cookin'. Would love to face, say, Wisconsin and give them a taste of their own medicine.

Date: February 20, 2010 09:30PM

Dartmouth's 3rd and 5th goals appeared soft from the video. The 3rd was a scrum in front that the puck somehow ended up in the net. The last Dartmouth goal was just a hard angle wrister from lower outside edge of the faceoff circle that Scrivens probably should have had. Defense also appeared to be less stellar than usual as we gave up far too many chances in the game (especially the 3rd).

Date: February 20, 2010 09:33PM

Germ
Updated pairwise not posted yet (that I can find) but I'm guessing we'll go to 13-14++. When you take into account the auto bids from the lower conferences I think it's going to be an uphill battle. I guess if we make it to the ECAC finals like last year we have an outside shot...maybe. However, if we DO make it to the NCAAs I like our chances since we seem to own the first round. And if we get placed in Albany we (finally) get some home cookin'. Would love to face, say, Wisconsin and give them a taste of their own medicine.

Oh please - this melodrama is getting ridiculous. We've been in this situation plenty of times. If we win both games next weekend and win our first (second) round playoff series, we'll be just fine. Make it to Albany and win a game - do that we'll be ok. And if we don't make it to Albany, we don't deserve to make the NCAA's. Of course an autobid would be nice.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2010 09:39PM by CUontheslopes.

Posted by: YankeeLobo (---.albq.qwest.net)
Date: February 20, 2010 09:42PM

Most overrated team in college hockey all year, in my opinion. How they were #5 only a week or two ago still amazes me. The team hasn't won an important game all year.

I recommend you all start following the Cornell basketball team, they're having a special year. 2010 Cornell hockey will be just another Schafer-led disappointment. The guy is a great defensive coach, but defense doesn't win championships in NCAA hockey and it doesn't win 5-4 games. When are people at Cornell going to start putting some heat on this guy?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2010 09:43PM by YankeeLobo.

Date: February 20, 2010 09:49PM

Ummm....not being melodramtic, being realistic. Pairwise # 16 puts us right on the bubble. Yeah, sure, if we don't lose one of the next two, win our first series, AND win one in Albany we have an outside chance. Last year wasn't a lock until we pulled out the Princeton game. Too bad we've been backed into a corner (again) such that we have to at least make the semis or finals to have a chance. Not saying we can't do it but melting down against Dartmouth doesn't give me the same level of confidence as last year's team. I guess we'll have to just wait and see how we do against RPI and Union next weekend.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 20, 2010 09:50PM

YankeeLobo
Most overrated team in college hockey all year, in my opinion. How they were #5 only a week or two ago still amazes me. The team hasn't won an important game all year.

I recommend you all start following the Cornell basketball team, they're having a special year. 2010 Cornell hockey will be just another Schafer-led disappointment. The guy is a great defensive coach, but defense doesn't win championships in NCAA hockey and it doesn't win 5-4 games. When are people at Cornell going to start putting some heat on this guy?
Obviously defense doesn't win 5-4 games, but I think 2004 Denver and 2006 Wisconsin and 2007 Michigan State would disagree with the proposition that defense doesn't win NCAA hockey championships.

Date: February 20, 2010 09:54PM

Germ
Ummm....not being melodramtic, being realistic. Pairwise # 16 puts us right on the bubble. Yeah, sure, if we don't lose one of the next two, win our first series, AND win one in Albany we have an outside chance. Last year wasn't a lock until we pulled out the Princeton game. Too bad we've been backed into a corner (again) such that we have to at least make the semis or finals to have a chance. Not saying we can't do it but melting down against Dartmouth doesn't give me the same level of confidence as last year's team. I guess we'll have to just wait and see how we do against RPI and Union next weekend.

What's melodramatic is thinking that we have an OUTSIDE chance if we hold serve at home in the next couple weekends and win a game (including the consolation game). Do that, we're in.

Posted by: ScrewBU (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 20, 2010 10:00PM

CUontheslopes
Germ

What's melodramatic is thinking that we have an OUTSIDE chance if we hold serve at home in the next couple weekends and win a game (including the consolation game). Do that, we're in.

Say Yale and Union stay ahead of us in the PWR. We win out and win one game in Albany. We're still guaranteed a spot in the tourney as the 3rd ECAC team? You sure about that? What happens if a team that is not Yale, Union, or Cornell wins the ECAC tournament and gets the autobid?

Edited to make clearer.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2010 10:11PM by ScrewBU.

Posted by: trainbow (---.phil.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 20, 2010 10:06PM

billhoward
Letdown after Friday?
Cornell has 5 shutouts this year.
Their record the next game? 1 W 4 L.

Last year in contrast, after shutouts they were 3-1 (plus 2 Ws after 0-0 OT ties).

Date: February 20, 2010 10:12PM

ScrewBU
CUontheslopes
Germ

Say Yale and Union stay ahead of us in the PWR. We win out and win one game in Albany. We're still guaranteed a spot in the tourney as the 3rd ECAC team? You sure about that? What happens if a team that is not Yale, Union, or Cornell wins the ECAC tournament and gets the autobid?

Edited to make clearer.

Don't forget we play Union next weekend. If we sweep next weekend, win our first round series (preferably with a sweep, but not completely necessary) and win a game in Albany, we will make the tournament. I stand by that, yes. That would mean a record of somewhere in the 5-1 range against good competition. That'd do it.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2010 10:16PM by CUontheslopes.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 20, 2010 11:10PM

Just win the ECACs.

About the only silver lining I can think of is the Union game was going to be a battle for 2nd, anyway, and now the Red will be seething and ready.

Anybody buy that?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2010 11:15PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 20, 2010 11:42PM

Trotsky
Just win the ECACs.

About the only silver lining I can think of is the Union game was going to be a battle for 2nd, anyway, and now the Red will be seething and ready.

Anybody buy that?

I'll buy it -- well, after tonight, I'll buy any suggestion of a silver lining :-/

Date: February 21, 2010 02:46AM

I guess I'm just not convinced that a sweep next weekend and one win in Albany will "get er done". I think it will depend on what teams from the other big conferences do that will determine our fate. We need Miami, UNH, and Denver to hold serve in their tourneys and not let a lower ranked team to win out. THAT might do it. But...come on....imploding against Dartmouth? Not particularly encouraging.

Posted by: Robb (---.105-92.cust.bluewin.ch)
Date: February 21, 2010 04:41AM

Germ
The reason we "seem to own the first round" is that in 4 of our last 5 NCAA appearances we were seeded higher than our opponent (including the #4E vs #5E matchup with QU from 2001). The only time we jumped up and bit a higher seeded team (or needed to) was when we beat NU last year, and IIRC, that was the highest seeded #3 taking out the lowest seeded #2 (anyone know where to find past years' final PWR as used to seed the tournament?). If we go in as a low 3 seed or 4 seed, we will very likely lose our first round game.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 21, 2010 08:39AM

Robb
Germ
The reason we "seem to own the first round" is that in 4 of our last 5 NCAA appearances we were seeded higher than our opponent (including the #4E vs #5E matchup with QU from 2001). The only time we jumped up and bit a higher seeded team (or needed to) was when we beat NU last year, and IIRC, that was the highest seeded #3 taking out the lowest seeded #2 (anyone know where to find past years' final PWR as used to seed the tournament?). If we go in as a low 3 seed or 4 seed, we will very likely lose our first round game.

I don't disagree with your logic, but it seems that almost all other ECAC teams with decent seeds haven't had the same 1st round success over the past decade

Posted by: dbilmes (---.hsd1.nh.comcast.net)
Date: February 21, 2010 09:11AM

This was a terrible loss. The easy thing to do is to blame the basketball pep band. When they came into the hockey rink after the basketball game, we were ahead 4-2 midway through the third period, and everything fell apart after that. But being a former high school band member, I'm not going to make them the scapegoat!
Even though we were up 4-2 at that point, we hadn't played well most of the game. We were getting into Dartmouth's type of game, skating up and down the ice, and it had the makings of a shootout even before the goals started to mount. Scrivens didn't play his best in the third period, but we also had a lot of breakdowns in front of him. Kennedy's injury really scrambled the lines, and it seemed like Riley Nash and Greening were both on the ice approximately 50 percent of the time. Other players' ice time was also effected. Nichols, for example, got much more ice time than I can remember him receiving in previous games, and while he never stops hustling, he's not a guy you want on the ice for 15 minutes or more.
So you can blame part of our third-period collapse on fatigue by some of our key players. We also took some poor penalties, which led to two Dartmouth PP goals. To me, the turning point came on a Dartmouth PP while we were ahead 4-2. Riley Nash had a great offensive chance for a shorthanded goal which he just missed, but then he fell to the ice behind the D goal and was slow getting up. Dartmouth, meanwhile, was racing up the ice as Schaefer was frantically waving for Nash to hustle to the bench so he could replace him with a fresh player. But by the time Nash got up and made it to the bench, Dartmouth had finished off a 5-on-3 break by scoring to make it 4-3.
Things went downhill from there, and Riley Nash also got caught behind the play a little bit on Dartmouth's next goal, also on their PP.
I'm not blaming Riley for our loss. He played an excellent game overall, but he just had to be gassed by the last part of the game. And he wasn't the one taking stupid penalties or letting in a few soft goals. On the GW goal, Scrivens gave up a huge rebound which Dartmouth capitalized on.
The officiating was also quite erratic, and there were several obvious offsides plays which were never called, as well as long stretches of letting fairly obvious penalties against both teams go unpunished.
This game will be the highlight of Dartmouth's season, coming from behind for a dramatic win against a first-place team on Senior Night. Hopefully, for us, it will just be a forgettable night on the way to making it to the title game in Albany. But those of us who were there will remember how terrible this loss was for a long time. This also continues our recent pattern of following up a good Friday night game with a poor Saturday night performance (i.e Saturday night losses to Princeton, Yale, North Dakota, etc.).

Posted by: TimV (---.dartmouth.edu)
Date: February 21, 2010 09:53AM

Good post and great last paragraph.

I thought Cornell played a very aggressive, physical game against Harvard and to a large extent left lot of their game at Lynah East. Which it really was, from my seat in section 1 it was amazing that it looked like the entire rink was Cornell fans. Last night, right from the beginning it didn't look like we had any jump and Dartmouth seemed to be continually breaking out, often with a hanger out in neutral ice when we were in their zone. True, the GWG was off a bad rebound but there was an awful lot of traffic on the crease, and I didn't think Scrivens could be faulted for late goals off rebounds when there was such a crowd in front. Seemed to me on their goal mouth scrambles they got a good bounce, and ours didn't. Dartmouths first goal was a beauty. The hooking call in the third on Scali (?) I thought was really poor - he was lifting the stick of the breaking D player as the puck was fed to him - a hockey play you see ten times a game. Right after that, I saw D's Estoclet cross-check our guy, the ref's arm go up, and I thought it would be four-on-four, but they sent the cress-checkee off as well, and D made it 4-3 with about 7 min left.

Yes, Sat night has been tough on us. Is it conditioning? Dunno. But we have to have 4 points next weekend. I couldn't stand finishing behind Union, and I don't wanna hear from that asshole on the USCHO RPI threads. (If you're reading this, jerk, yeah I mean you.)flipa

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 21, 2010 10:49AM

Robb
The reason we "seem to own the first round" is that in 4 of our last 5 NCAA appearances we were seeded higher than our opponent (including the #4E vs #5E matchup with QU from 2001).
Nitpick: That was 2002.

Posted by: KGR11 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: February 21, 2010 02:42PM

Beating a 1 seed would be a tall order. Beating a 2 seed (currently Yale, NoDak, UNH,and Bemidji) is possible, since we are 2-3-0 against those teams, and we probably wouldn't play Yale in the first round. I think that if we are healthy for the first round as a 3 seed, we have a chance to win.

Date: February 21, 2010 03:05PM

Since beating Brown on Sat. 11/14 we've gone 1-5-3 in Saturday games... with the lone win being Clarkson. During that same time we are 11-2 in all other games including 9-0 in Friday games. In that same span we've averaged 2.44 goals per game and 3 goals against per game on Saturdays versus 3.23 g/g and 1.76 ga/g on all other days.

Not sure if we're just tired the second night or if its something else but it's a fairly large difference in results.

Posted by: Roy 82 (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: February 21, 2010 03:22PM

mikek
Since beating Brown on Sat. 11/14 we've gone 1-5-3 in Saturday games... with the lone win being Clarkson. During that same time we are 11-2 in all other games including 9-0 in Friday games. In that same span we've averaged 2.44 goals per game and 3 goals against per game on Saturdays versus 3.23 g/g and 1.76 ga/g on all other days.

Not sure if we're just tired the second night or if its something else but it's a fairly large difference in results.

I think that we must have caught some sort of Saturday Night Fever from North Dakota. thud

Posted by: Killer (---.c3-0.nat-ubr5.sbo-nat.ma.cable.rcn.com)
Date: February 21, 2010 03:27PM

The thing that was driving me nuts was the number of times on the breakout where we seemed to be making these no-look, drop passes to guys coming out of the zone behind the puck handler (have I been missing that in past games where it didn't kill us?). Dartmouth always seemed to be right on top of it and picked up as many of those passes late in the game as we did. So, instead of rushing into the Dartmouth end, all of a sudden we're scambling back into our own end on defense. I'd keel haul the next guy who does that. Maybe Dartmouth had all the passing lanes clogged (they did seem to be swarming all over the neutral zone), but you'd think we could have been more aggressive in looking for people moving at speed ahead of the puck.

And no, I won't blame the basketball pep band either, but it was a weird momentum shift at that time.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login