Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell 6 Colgate 2 (final)

Posted by mhand06 
Cornell 6 Colgate 2 (final)
Posted by: mhand06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 16, 2010 07:05PM

LETS GO RED!!!
Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2010 09:20PM by mhand06.

Re: Cornell 6 Colgate 2 (final)
Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 16, 2010 09:43PM

This may as well be the post-game thread.

Great job being opportunistic tonight by the guys; hope this gives them a push into the final road weekend.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 16, 2010 10:34PM

A few observations:

1. Our big guns really were big tonight. R. Nash had probably his best game of the season, while Greening and Gallagher were stellar as well. Scrivens was solid, and made a few big saves when we were clinging to the 2-1 lead. I know we shouldn't look past this season, but if Riley doesn't come back next year, it's hard to see where the scoring will come from. Gallagher's goal on the 4 on 3 after Schafer took the time out was beautifully designed and executed.

2. Colgate came out strong in the 2nd, and we didn't seem to be moving our feet. While Colgate dominated in shots in that period, part of that is attributed to us missing the net repeatedly on our power play late in the period. If B. Nash got even half his shots on goal, that probably would have added 5 to our shot total.

3. Colgate has some nice skill players (McIntyre, Brisbois, Day and Smith), but their defense and goaltending were rather suspect tonight. We just match-up well with them, and have their number much the way Yale has our number these days.

4. The canned music played at Colgate is weak. Nice to see a great (and loud) Cornell turn out. The TV guys were ok, and Fridgen played it pretty straight even though he's a Colgate alum. The camerawork was awful early in the game, but improved some as the game went on. It would have been nice to have them inteview one of the Cornell players between periods.

5. Probably the best road game since UNH (although not quite as impressive). We had a lot more intensity than at Quinnipiac (which was a real snoozer), save for the first ten minutes of the second period. I thought Whitney made his presence felt, and it was nice to see us score on a breakaway. I may be wrong, but this might be the first game that Miller sat out. I wonder if he's hurt or if he was a health scratch.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 16, 2010 10:52PM

Agree with the above, but I really began to think Yale in the second period. If it wasn't for 'gate's porous defense we'd be in big trouble. I don't know why after good first periods we fall apart. To get 2 goals, especially the second one with essentially no time remaining, in the second was wonderful, but we wouldn't have done it against another team. He's great, but we won't go far relying on Scrivens so much.

Posted by: ajh258 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: February 16, 2010 11:47PM

I was very satisfied with the turnout today, especially since it's a Tuesday night. It's great to see that some seniors still care and they were there all the way drowning those pathetic Colgate fans nut

Anyways, I agree with the abovementioned observations, especially our reliance on Scrivens. He can help us get to the ECAC championships but I doubt much further beyond that. The team has to make a better effort or some structural changes need to happen in order for us to beat speedy teams. Hopefully we will carry this momentum to Cambridge and Hanover.

Go Red!

Posted by: Willy '06 (38.98.164.---)
Date: February 17, 2010 12:56AM

What a great game to have on tv.

Posted by: ehp1459 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 17, 2010 01:16AM

When I left the game, I found my car vandalized. Someone must have seen the Cornell sticker and decided it was a good idea to knock the side mirrors off my car leaving one of them hanging by the wires. I didn't report it (I was able to fix the mirror), but I plan on sending an email to the athletic department tomorrow.

Did anyone else experience any thing like this?

Posted by: ebilmes (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 17, 2010 01:41AM

Tied for 9th in PWR. Yale is 8th

[www.collegehockeynews.com]

Posted by: ugarte (---.z75-46-65.customer.algx.net)
Date: February 17, 2010 11:49AM

I mostly liked what I saw, particularly from Scrivens. On the other hand, I thought they were sloppy as hell in transition. They consistently passed the puck to each other's skates or worse. Even on transition defense I thought they allowed Colgate to me the puck well - the few times they allowed them possession at all (which is, of course, the real upside).

After the game the SNY announcers said that the game seemed closer than the score. I thought they were nuts. Cornell thoroughly dominated last night's game.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: February 17, 2010 11:58AM

scoop85
The TV guys were ok, and Fridgen played it pretty straight even though he's a Colgate alum.

I didn't realize that. TW's Clarkson-Union broadcast a few weeks ago, which also involved the Fridge, was blatantly pro-Union. On the chat, I labelled him a "freelance homer".

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: scoop85 (173.84.100.---)
Date: February 17, 2010 12:15PM

jtwcornell91
scoop85
The TV guys were ok, and Fridgen played it pretty straight even though he's a Colgate alum.

I didn't realize that. TW's Clarkson-Union broadcast a few weeks ago, which also involved the Fridge, was blatantly pro-Union. On the chat, I labelled him a "freelance homer".

He's from around my era (mid-80's). Very good player at Colgate. IIRC, he left Colgate immediately at the end of his Senior season and joined the Bruins. I think he was considered a pretty hot prospect, but didn't nave much of an NHL career.

Posted by: ithacat (---.cbs.cornell.edu)
Date: February 17, 2010 01:53PM

scoop85
I know we shouldn't look past this season, but if Riley doesn't come back next year, it's hard to see where the scoring will come from. Gallagher's goal on the 4 on 3 after Schafer took the time out was beautifully designed and executed.

What's the emoticon for buzzkiller?twak

Here's hoping that Riley realizes that being so close to graduation is too great an opportunity to pass up and returns. Gallagher and Riley have a realistic chance of joining Greening in the century club by the end of the season (hopefully another 12 games). Replacing that kind of scoring in one season would be tough for any program. One would expect Kennedy, Devin, Jillson, and Collins to step up, as well as Esposito and Miller. Collins and Miller, particularly, were big scorers in juniors. Mowrey should have an opportunity to get top line minutes next year as well.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 17, 2010 02:01PM

ugarte
I mostly liked what I saw, particularly from Scrivens. On the other hand, I thought they were sloppy as hell in transition. They consistently passed the puck to each other's skates or worse. Even on transition defense I thought they allowed Colgate to me the puck well - the few times they allowed them possession at all (which is, of course, the real upside).

After the game the SNY announcers said that the game seemed closer than the score. I thought they were nuts. Cornell thoroughly dominated last night's game.
I can't agree with you. First and third periods maybe, but second period was scary. Colgate controlled the play and outshot us 18-6. Sure some of those were outside shots, but anytime you give up 18 in a period, you're in trouble. The key to the game was Riley's second goal with 11 seconds to go in the second period. I think that really kicked 'gate and lead to a good third for us. If we didn't get that no telling what intensity 'gate would have had in the third. He and Scrivens saved the game for us.

Posted by: ugarte (---.z75-46-65.customer.algx.net)
Date: February 17, 2010 04:20PM

Jim Hyla
ugarte

I can't agree with you. First and third periods maybe, but second period was scary. Colgate controlled the play and outshot us 18-6. Sure some of those were outside shots, but anytime you give up 18 in a period, you're in trouble. The key to the game was Riley's second goal with 11 seconds to go in the second period. I think that really kicked 'gate and lead to a good third for us. If we didn't get that no telling what intensity 'gate would have had in the third. He and Scrivens saved the game for us.
I didn't think it was that scary. I thought Cornell was hanging back too much and letting Colgate hold the puck but most of Colgate's shots were garbage.

Posted by: scoop85 (173.84.100.---)
Date: February 17, 2010 05:25PM

ithacat
scoop85
I know we shouldn't look past this season, but if Riley doesn't come back next year, it's hard to see where the scoring will come from. Gallagher's goal on the 4 on 3 after Schafer took the time out was beautifully designed and executed.

Here's hoping that Riley realizes that being so close to graduation is too great an opportunity to pass up and returns. Gallagher and Riley have a realistic chance of joining Greening in the century club by the end of the season (hopefully another 12 games). Replacing that kind of scoring in one season would be tough for any program. One would expect Kennedy, Devin, Jillson, and Collins to step up, as well as Esposito and Miller. Collins and Miller, particularly, were big scorers in juniors. Mowrey should have an opportunity to get top line minutes next year as well.

Sorry to rain on the parade :-P. I agree with your assessment about the players most likely to step up. While I believe Miller and Collins will show improvement, nothing I have seen indicates that either of them has the scoring ability of Nash, Greening or Gallagher. I think Jillson will have a breakout season next year, and we'll get more production from Esposito as well. Mowrey is intriguing, as he's putting up huge numbers in a top junior league.

Posted by: ACM (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 17, 2010 06:12PM

I watched the game on TV, and I did not see Esposito for most of the last two periods. Anybody who was there have any idea what happened?

Posted by: Larry72 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 17, 2010 07:03PM

Riley is a Junior! The fact that he's a first round draft choice, makes is possible that he might go to the pro's after this year. However, given that he's supposed to be a high scoring forward and really hasn't been till lately, it might be better for him (and for Cornell) to play his senior year at Cornell. I certainly hope he takes the recent experiences of Moulson and Bitz as examples of what staying in school for four years does for a career.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 17, 2010 07:44PM

Larry72
Riley is a Junior! The fact that he's a first round draft choice, makes is possible that he might go to the pro's after this year. However, given that he's supposed to be a high scoring forward and really hasn't been till lately, it might be better for him (and for Cornell) to play his senior year at Cornell. I certainly hope he takes the recent experiences of Moulson and Bitz as examples of what staying in school for four years does for a career.

Here's hoping. If he's going to have a future as a third/fourth line forward (e.g., Manderville), this is the best place for him to learn that game.

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: February 17, 2010 08:08PM

Some interesting comments from Dan Sweeney in the Ithaca Journal

Ithaca Journal
- Nash said that the reason he missed four straight games was because of a quadriceps injury he sustained against North Dakota. Cornell coach Mike Schafer had been tight-lipped about the injury. It was kind of funny because when Nash was asked what the injury was Tuesday, he looked over his shoulder, which I presume was to see if Schafer was listening. Schafer was about 15 feet away engaged in another converation. At first, Nash said it was a leg injury, then, without prodding, revealed it was a quad.

"Tonight was the first time I actually felt 100 percent," Nash said.

- Schafer said the reason he went with the seven defensemen Tuesday was because the TV timeouts allowed him to shorten the forward shifts. Blake Gallagher took a couple of double shifts and defensemen Keir Ross ended up centering a few others. I believe Cornell is 3-0 when it starts seven blueliners (Tuesday, win at Clarkson during flu bug and Clarkson at home with Nash out).

"We knew the TV timeouts were the key," Schafer said. "The TV timeouts really help you. A 90-second rest three times a period it allows your better players to get a rest and get out on the ice more."

Posted by: marty (---.sub-75-213-164.myvzw.com)
Date: February 18, 2010 08:27AM

scoop85
jtwcornell91
scoop85

He's from around my era (mid-80's). Very good player at Colgate. IIRC, he left Colgate immediately at the end of his Senior season and joined the Bruins. I think he was considered a pretty hot prospect, but didn't nave much of an NHL career.

Fridge was an assistant at Union, I think. The ticket office loves him. I think the feeling is mutual. The gossip during the RPI era was always positive concerning his relations with student athletes and their parents. People liked him but not his coaching.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: February 18, 2010 08:38AM

Fridge was a long time coach at RPI. Not sure about Union.

Posted by: marty (---.sub-75-213-164.myvzw.com)
Date: February 18, 2010 10:50AM

Trotsky
Fridge was a long time coach at RPI. Not sure about Union.

Yes, I missed the longest game in history (Yale over Union) to watch (and heckle) Fridge in what we all, as season ticket holders, assumed would mark his exit from RPI during the 2006 ECAC playoffs.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 18, 2010 06:06PM

ACM
I watched the game on TV, and I did not see Esposito for most of the last two periods. Anybody who was there have any idea what happened?
Hurt early in the first period: [www.theithacajournal.com]

Will miss the Harvard/Dartmouth weekend.

Posted by: ithacat (---.cbs.cornell.edu)
Date: February 19, 2010 01:49PM

scoop85
ithacat
scoop85

Sorry to rain on the parade :-P. I agree with your assessment about the players most likely to step up. While I believe Miller and Collins will show improvement, nothing I have seen indicates that either of them has the scoring ability of Nash, Greening or Gallagher. I think Jillson will have a breakout season next year, and we'll get more production from Esposito as well. Mowrey is intriguing, as he's putting up huge numbers in a top junior league.

Again, those three would not be easily replaced in most programs. Bear in mind, however, that players have roles to fill and some aren't expected to score as much as others (or get the same opportunities to score) during different phases of their careers. Gallagher's a good example -- he scored 3 goals as a freshman and 6 as a sophomore. Collins scored 3 as a frosh and sits at 4; Miller's at 2; and Esposito's at 3. Each of those players has the potential to produce in the 20-25 pts per season range. Greening and Riley were a different story from day one. They're three great players and I love watching them play. Hopefully, Riley returns because it'll be tough enough replacing two of them.

We shouldn't forget how productive Riley and Gallagher have been at FOs. Yikes...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login