Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Quinnipiac photos & comments

Posted by billhoward 
Quinnipiac photos & comments
Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 07, 2010 06:11PM

Photos (a lot) of the Cornell at Quinnipiac game (Cornell, 2-0) are at [albums.phanfare.com]. Comments on the game via some of my favorite game photos:

[clear]"It was pretty apparent tonight why he’s [Scrivens] one of the best goaltenders in the nation,” Quinnipiac coach Rand Pecknold said. "He was excellent. He made a couple of elite saves tonight. The one thing I’ve always liked about Scrivens is he never gives up a soft goal, at least I’ve never seen it.” That was before he got shelled Saturday, but Friday Scrivens was on his game.

[clear]Good as Cornell's defense is, we give up a couple breakaways every game, it seems. Scriven stopped this one and then ...

[clear]... Scrivens slides into the net. The puck hasn't crossed the line ...

[clear]... and still hasn't crossed the line ...

[clear]... and doesn't get across the line according to the photos I've got. The motor drive shoots 6 frames per second, I've got about 15 frames captured, and in no frame is it over the line or even on the line. Unless the puck went in and out in 1/6 second, the video review was right: Q came close but it was no-goal.

[clear]This is the first Cornell goal, a backhander by Justin Krueger (5) on the power play ...

[clear] ... which ignited the road edition of the Lynah Faithful including, here, the Cornell band reserve. Given how how many fans got clipped by shots going out of play (to my eye, the majority being Q fans who weren't paying enough attenion), spares were a good idea.

[clear]This fan wasn't watching or misjudged which way to duck. There's a danger that if too many fans get clipped, you wind up with netting around the entire ruck and the viewing experience sucks.

[clear]A Q fan standing behind me moaned repeatedly how Cornell outhustled Quinnipiac and beat them to the puck more often than not.

[clear]With Cornell protecting Scrivens, a lot of the Q shots were either from far out or the odd breakaway here and there. (Of course, Cornell doesn't get many fast breaks playing this kind of defense.)

[clear]Another breakway, like this open shot here. Scrivens earned his, er, what do you say at a non-scholarship school?

[clear]And Cornell did its share of checking, without incurring any dumb penalties for excessive use of force in a situation like this. (The delay of game penalty for not moving the puck along the boards, that was another story. Ouch!)

[clear]Tyler Roeszler's insurance goal in the third period ...

[clear]... and the celebration after the second goal.

[clear]More celebration. Note how the Cornell fans are alert and upbeat here ...

[clear] ... whereas the Quinnipiac fans look like they've got someplace else they're dying to be.

[clear]Give 'em cheap tickets, free thundersticks, yellow shirts. What's missing? Maybe 8 years of eligibility for Reid Cashman?

[clear]Quinnipiac (mostly Quinnipiac) section midway through the third period.

[clear]It was a little better in the first period. Quinnipiac announced a sellout of the 3286-seat, $53 million (hoops and hockey) facility, and announced attendance at 3227. Do you see the 59 empty seats?

[clear]Cornell hung tough in the final five minutes while Quinnipiac ...

[clear]... while Quinnipiac's Eric Lampe draws a tripping penalty with 4 minutes to play and finishes his evening with a misconduct.

[clear]I hope these aren't Cornell fans. If you have seats along the glass, yes, the ledge makes a nice shelf for your coffee, but mens hockey is a checking game. (A woman next to me at a Rangers game put her beer on the ledge and it was on the lap of her pink dress within 3 minutes. Apparently having $800 seats doesn't make you an expert on hockey. It's a long story why I was in an $800 seat, but trust me, it wasn't me paying for it.)

[clear]Quinnipiac has a photo box next to the visitor bench (what a great idea! hello, Cornell?). The photographer has a PocketWizard atop his Nikon, typically used to trigged a $5,000 set of high-speed strobes in the rafters, this in an arena with 299 side- not top-mounted floodlamps and enough lumens to shoot photos without flash at 1/1000 at f/4 (ISO 800). To do that in Lynah you'd need to set off a small nuke.

[clear]Cornell's photographer in the Carnelian jacket makes do with available light. But this is way more than Lynah, maybe 10X as much light (3 f/stops).

[clear]It goes without saying who had the better pep band.

[clear]Scrivens highlight reel: Leaping save ...

[clear]... Mid-air stick save ...

[clear]... (I believe) a crossbar save. Goalie's best friend. The sound scares the crap out of the fans, though.

[clear]Scrivens gets a warm salute from his teammates Friday as they head off the ice. On to Princeton and hopes for a 4-point weekend.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2010 10:48PM by billhoward.

Re: Quinnipiac photos & comments
Posted by: mnagowski (---.bflony.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 07, 2010 06:22PM

Nice pictures and amusing commentary. Thanks Bill.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 07, 2010 06:27PM

... I refuse to watch the pre-game crap. Peyton Manning is great without hearing it all afternoon. So I had some time on my hands.

[edit add] And the best possible outcome: an exciting game for Super Bowl 44: a close game until the very end, and the right team winning (the team that had won 2 playoff games total in its first 42 years and whose fans had takent to wearing paper sacks over their heads a decade ago, a city ravaged by Katrina and in the ensuing days by George), a salute to senior citizens at halftime, and a couple good commercials (VW Punch Dub with a cameo by Stevie Wonder as puncher not punched, maybe Doritos, maybe Audi's Green Police ad except why is a green car making fun of the green movement?).
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2010 08:44AM by billhoward.

Posted by: judy (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 07, 2010 07:09PM

There pictures are great! Thanks Bill!

Posted by: Rita (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: February 07, 2010 07:12PM

billhoward
... I refuse to watch the pre-game crap. Peyton Manning is great without hearing it all afternoon. So I had some time on my hands.

What?
You didn't watch the Bruins @ Canadiens pre-game show on NHL Center ice? ;-) Ryan O'Byrne got into a "fight" with Blake Wheeler. Actually Wheeler threw a punch then lost his balance and OB kind of guided him to the ice.

Nice photos. Thanks for sharing.

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: February 07, 2010 07:31PM

Thank you, Bill.

Posted by: sockralex (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: February 07, 2010 08:59PM

Nice pictures and summary. Great fan picture. I feel famous!:-)

Posted by: sah67 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 07, 2010 09:42PM

Great stuff, Bill!

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 07, 2010 10:26PM

Wonderful, thanks.

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 07, 2010 10:53PM

Great pictures, Bill.

You may not have heard, but that series you have of the save that was reviewed was Scrivens' 2500th save as a Cornell player.

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: February 07, 2010 11:06PM

andyw2100
Great pictures, Bill.

You may not have heard, but that series you have of the save that was reviewed was Scrivens' 2500th save as a Cornell player.
Did that just count as one save?

Posted by: sigmanu@CU (---.nbcuni.com)
Date: February 08, 2010 12:12PM

I'm one row above the frame in the Cornell crowd shot....granted I was sitting with the QU AD, but my daughter and I were proudly covered in Cornell garb. Great pictures. I love the one with the QU fans all texting and what not, as the Bobcats continue the worst 2nd half in ECAC history. The win over the 'Gate not withstanding.

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: February 08, 2010 01:38PM

billhoward
...an arena with 299 side- not top-mounted floodlamps and enough lumens to shoot photos without flash at 1/1000 at f/4 (ISO 800). To do that in Lynah you'd need to set off a small nuke.

What? I was shooting 1000 ISO, f/3.2 at 1/1250 in Lynah. So, what, one stop off of what you said? Lynah is plenty bright. The quality of the light sucks with its phasing, but it's about as bright as rinks come.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login