Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Princeton Post-game

Posted by Jim Hyla 
Princeton Post-game
Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 06, 2010 09:38PM

As I said on chat, Scrivens has won many games for us, but tonight just didn't have it. However we pushed to come back, and showed offensive spark. Scrivens will not likely play like that again, so overall I'm pleased. Nice to see good play by Garman. It shows how important and difficult a goalie backup has it. This Princeton team is shorthanded but we showed we can play with them. Now we've got to show we can beat Yale.

Great Cornell Band and fans heard over the Redcast, as I watched PU and listened to CU. I'd be interested to hear from some fans that were there about any PU fans, but you guys were great.

Re: Princeton Post-game
Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 07, 2010 12:16AM

Jim Hyla
As I said on chat, Scrivens has won many games for us, but tonight just didn't have it. However we pushed to come back, and showed offensive spark. Scrivens will not likely play like that again, so overall I'm pleased. Nice to see good play by Garman. It shows how important and difficult a goalie backup has it. This Princeton team is shorthanded but we showed we can play with them. Now we've got to show we can beat Yale.

Great Cornell Band and fans heard over the Redcast, as I watched PU and listened to CU. I'd be interested to hear from some fans that were there about any PU fans, but you guys were great.

The only princeton fans were the bands and a few little kids chanting scoreboard when the score was 4-1. I guess there were also a few families of players but nothing really vocal other than the band.

Scrivens gave up 2 pretty awful goals, but sometimes a goalie just doesn't have it for a night. I was very nervous when Garman first came in because he looked like he was frantic and had no idea what was going on at times. He seemed a lot more settled down in the 3rd period and made some good saves, but also had some scary scrambles where he didn't have to. It was a great effort by the team to battle back to get in the game, but I feel like they could have done a better job of capitalizing on 2 full minutes of 5 on 3. (by the way, can someone explain what happened for those 2 penalties? you can't actually understand the announcer inside the arena so we had no idea whether it was 2 penalties on the play or a penalty and then an extra one for all the whining and delaying after it)

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.rbccm.com)
Date: February 07, 2010 12:23AM

I was there. Princeton fans were pretty quiet. They had a lot to cheer about though. 4th goal was one of the worst goals I've seen given up in a college game among the couple hundred games I've been to. I guess you can't get a shutout every night. Scrivens did impress me with his demeanor, after getting pulled Garman made a fantastic glove save right off the bat and Scrivens pounded the side glass enthusiastically. Despite getting pulled he was cheering for his teammates immediately. I don't get to see Cornell play much, I was really impressed with Greening and Brendon Nash. It seemed like Nash played 25+ minutes. Krueger had a tough night I thought.

Probably on some other thread but where was Riley Nash?

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 07, 2010 12:29AM

After Friday's game and seeing how well Scrivens played, I was hoping for back to back shutouts and player of the week honors for Scrivens. Set the sights too high. The best you can say about Saturday at Princeton is that good teams have a couple law-of-averages losses every season. Once again Schafer gets the gift, so to speak, of an unnecessary loss as a way to rally the team for a big upcoming come. Sort of like Cornell rebounded from the non-league Princeton loss in Florida to put together our best game of the season at UNH. We should have won this Princeton game. Given that that score was 4-3 plus the ENG, we might have managed a tie. Shots were pretty close, 38-33 for Princeton, nothing embarrassing like the 2-1 margin for Q Friday night, and we were 2x6 on PP but Princeton was 1x3.

We've done a good job making the league's lower ranks look good: Last place Clarkson we beat but allowed 3 goals, Quinnipiac we lost to in Ithaca and managed only by good defense plus a nice PPG plus one more to beat Friday, and now we've lost to Princeton (second time in 3 meetings) that was 5-9-1 in the ECAC going into the game. We've got six games left, three of them crucial, next week vs Yale, a week later at Harvard, and the final Friday vs. Union. 6-0 would be awesome but I think 5-1 would be pretty good, and 4-2 would start to be disappointing.

Date: February 07, 2010 12:43AM

RatushnyFan
I was there. Princeton fans were pretty quiet. They had a lot to cheer about though. 4th goal was one of the worst goals I've seen given up in a college game among the couple hundred games I've been to. I guess you can't get a shutout every night. Scrivens did impress me with his demeanor, after getting pulled Garman made a fantastic glove save right off the bat and Scrivens pounded the side glass enthusiastically. Despite getting pulled he was cheering for his teammates immediately. I don't get to see Cornell play much, I was really impressed with Greening and Brendon Nash. It seemed like Nash played 25+ minutes. Krueger had a tough night I thought.

Probably on some other thread but where was Riley Nash?
Hurt "all over" the last two weekends. CU isn't saying what.

Posted by: imafrshmn (---.resnet.stonybrook.edu)
Date: February 07, 2010 12:53AM

billhoward
We've got six games left, three of them crucial, next week vs Yale, a week later at Harvard, and the final Friday vs. Union. 6-0 would be awesome but I think 5-1 would be pretty good, and 4-2 would start to be disappointing.

Based purely on KRACH (overall, not solely ECAC play), our expected points for the remainder of the season is 9.9. Mind you, we actually have seven games remaining (don't forget @Colgate). So our record for the remainder could be something like 5-2-0 or 4-1-2 to maintain our strength, statistically. Also per KRACH, it looks like it will take 26 or 27 points to get the first round bye (which shouldn't be a problem for us, obviously).

Posted by: A-ron (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 07, 2010 01:04AM

I'll let you guys discuss the play but here's my opinion of the fans at Princeton: bad. You're up 4-1 on the #5 team in the country and only the PU band can make any noise outside of celebrating a goal. I think my favorite part of the evening was their band's very animated and hurt response after the "ugly blazer" chant.

By the way, the Princeton band had almost a dozen organized chants accompanied by cowbell and drumsticks yet not one of them was clearly audible or well enunciated even though I was sitting two sections away.

Posted by: Brian Deerr '04 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 07, 2010 10:19AM

Jacob '06
It was a great effort by the team to battle back to get in the game, but I feel like they could have done a better job of capitalizing on 2 full minutes of 5 on 3. (by the way, can someone explain what happened for those 2 penalties? you can't actually understand the announcer inside the arena so we had no idea whether it was 2 penalties on the play or a penalty and then an extra one for all the whining and delaying after it)

Over the Princeton audio feed, it sounded like the first penalty was for the infraction on the play, while the second was a bench minor for the excessive whining to which you alluded.

Date: February 07, 2010 11:39AM

Brian Deerr '04
Jacob '06
It was a great effort by the team to battle back to get in the game, but I feel like they could have done a better job of capitalizing on 2 full minutes of 5 on 3. (by the way, can someone explain what happened for those 2 penalties? you can't actually understand the announcer inside the arena so we had no idea whether it was 2 penalties on the play or a penalty and then an extra one for all the whining and delaying after it)

Over the Princeton audio feed, it sounded like the first penalty was for the infraction on the play, while the second was a bench minor for the excessive whining to which you alluded.
The boxscore lists it as TEAM:Bench.

Posted by: Johnny 5 (---.syr.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 07, 2010 01:42PM

We tied a BU game that we had in hand.
We were outshot & outscored by Colorado College.
Yale skated circles around us.
We lost to Quinny at home & then won the road game despite (again) being outshot.
We somehow won game one against ND after being outplayed big time, & then lost the sequel.
And, two losses to a crippled Princeton squad.

Then, how many bench minors for too many men on the ice?
How many stupid penalties?

And, last night Ben pulls a Crazy Ivan?

Maybe I'm missing something? But, I'm not exactly sure how the team earned a #5 national ranking?
Consistent? Not yet. Convincingly win the big one? Only UNH.

Maybe the Yale rematch will be the one that finally sets the tone.
Here's hoping.
If (?) we can get by Brown first.

cheer

Posted by: Sarli (---.phlapa.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 07, 2010 02:32PM

For the 5x3:
I'm pretty sure I heard Princeton's coach yell "you're screwing up the game" while he was going absolutely ballistic after the penalty whistled directly in front of the bench. To me it looked like the ref Teed him up as you would in basketball.

Other observations:
As for the last goal against Scrivens, from behind the CU bench (opposite blue line) I was completely shocked. The only note I had was that the puck was about head high (relative to Scrivens) and flying 'on edge.' I couldn't tell if it curved, but still he should have had it. Garman came in and was immediately tested, flashed a quick glove, and made 2 huge saves. He did have a few near misses in the 3rd when he'd get most of a shot and it would flutter over the cross bar. Then there was the attempt at the 50/50 puck out past the face off dot; all I can say is they didn't score. But I though he did a good job, considering he can't have expected to actually see ice time.

Greening's goal was great individual effort, I'd say highlight reel worthy, cycling out from around the net and across the crease before potting the puck. He was a beast all game. I thought Esposito looked fast; I'm not sure if he did anything spectacular, but I tended to notice him on the ice.

The powerplay:
scored on the 1st 5x3 on a nice one timer.
Decent puck movement when we got set up. I forget when (I think late 2nd), but there was a great backdoor chance that just missed Then there were some ugly looking PP, that exemplified all previous lamentations on this board.

Good fight till the end, too bad we spotted them 2 in the first.

Posted by: tretiak (---.resnet.ucsb.edu)
Date: February 07, 2010 02:44PM

Scrivens did impress me with his demeanor, after getting pulled Garman made a fantastic glove save right off the bat and Scrivens pounded the side glass enthusiastically. Despite getting pulled he was cheering for his teammates immediately.

How dare you compliment Scrivens! Don't you know he is teh sux0r and his gigantic ego is single-handedly holding us back from national title contention?!

/can't fit in a good centaur joke with this post

Posted by: BMac (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: February 07, 2010 03:37PM

Plenty of CU fans, good bands from both sides. The PU band was REALLY loud... did they have more instruments than us? I noticed quite a few of our bandies were sitting in the downstairs section- did they restrict them from playing?

Greening was a monster all game. Just not much help for him. B.Nash had a great game as well- solid as a rock. Krueger had an O'Byrne-worthy turnover in front of goal that we luckily avoided giving away. And, of course, Scrivens' second and fourth goals were soft as all hell... though he seemed ok when they benched him. Garman had some awesome saves, and is SO solid on his skates- he looks much more comfortable skating out of the pipes than Big Ben. That doesn't mean that his 50/50 puck challenge was excusable though!

Garman also had a sweet punt-the-puck move that we all enjoyed.

All in all,we let in soft goals and came back from 4-1 to 4-3. We were handed a 5x3 for two minutes and didn't score. Game over

Posted by: sah67 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 07, 2010 09:39PM

BMac
I noticed quite a few of our bandies were sitting in the downstairs section- did they restrict them from playing?

Yes, Baker had a limit on the number of instruments that a visiting band could play.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 07, 2010 10:32PM

1. Losing. Not as good as winning.
2. We'll see where they stand after the Yale game.
3. Don't panic.

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 07, 2010 10:46PM

For what it's worth, regarding the fourth Princeton goal, one of the television commentators was certain that the puck had really "knuckled", making it much less of an easy save for Scrivens. The internet feed wasn't good enough for me to be able to see that at all.

Posted by: HeafDog (207.237.253.---)
Date: February 07, 2010 11:23PM

sah67
BMac
I noticed quite a few of our bandies were sitting in the downstairs section- did they restrict them from playing?

Yes, Baker had a limit on the number of instruments that a visiting band could play.

But apparently no ban on the Princeton band's playing of their percussion instruments while time was in. Yes, I know it was just their drumsticks and banging on the rims of their drums (yes, I know there's a two-word phrase for it, but I figure I'll avoid it here so as to not take this thread into the gutter), but still...
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2010 11:26PM by HeafDog.

Posted by: HeafDog (207.237.253.---)
Date: February 07, 2010 11:29PM

A-ron
I'll let you guys discuss the play but here's my opinion of the fans at Princeton: bad.

Not to mention downright assholish. Some guy all of a sudden, from out of nowhere, started shit with me with a few minutes to go. Thanks to Mitch and Novikoff, et al., for having my back and shouting the guy down.

Date: February 08, 2010 12:29AM

HeafDog
A-ron
I'll let you guys discuss the play but here's my opinion of the fans at Princeton: bad.

Not to mention downright assholish. Some guy all of a sudden, from out of nowhere, started shit with me with a few minutes to go. Thanks to Mitch and Novikoff, et al., for having my back and shouting the guy down.

I was standing next to Mitch but couldn't quite tell what was happening during all the screaming and Mitch telling the guy that he was going to die from cirrhosis of the liver at age 60.

Someone mentioned that the dude complained about the Cornell fans being "too rowdy"? Or was he just trying to rub the win in our faces?

Date: February 08, 2010 12:32AM

HeafDog
sah67
BMac

But apparently no ban on the Princeton band's playing of their percussion instruments while time was in. Yes, I know it was just their drumsticks and banging on the rims of their drums (yes, I know there's a two-word phrase for it, but I figure I'll avoid it here so as to not take this thread into the gutter), but still...

I figure if the refs/ushers are never going to do anything about it when Clarkson's band does it in OUR rink, there's little hope for another team's band suffering consequences when they do it in their own home rink.

On that subject, has anyone ever witnessed a penalty given to a team for their band sounding off during play? Do I recall that possibly happening during a playoff game against Clarkson?

Posted by: redice (---.sub-75-194-207.myvzw.com)
Date: February 08, 2010 06:16AM

Is it really the ushers' responsibility to initiate enforcement? As someone who has been an usher at Lynah (but not in Section O), I might be annoyed by the visiting team's band playing during action. But, I don't believe I would have taken it upon myself to quiet them.

OTOH, if the on-ice officials directed the staff to do it, I would then be more than happy to silence or remove them.

-Ned Harkness

Posted by: amerks127 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 08, 2010 10:01AM

sah67
HeafDog
A-ron

I was standing next to Mitch but couldn't quite tell what was happening during all the screaming and Mitch telling the guy that he was going to die from cirrhosis of the liver at age 60.

Someone mentioned that the dude complained about the Cornell fans being "too rowdy"? Or was he just trying to rub the win in our faces?

Funny story...Elie and I ran into the very same guy at Triumph Brewing Company after the game and he tried to start stuff again.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 08, 2010 10:13AM

HeafDog
A-ron

Oddly enough (considering that Princeton has no fans), that seems to happen with pretty high frequency at games there.

Posted by: imafrshmn (---.somas.stonybrook.edu)
Date: February 08, 2010 12:09PM

Josh '99
HeafDog
A-ron

Oddly enough (considering that Princeton has no fans), that seems to happen with pretty high frequency at games there.

Probably was some random Devils or Flyers toughguy fan looking to watch hockey for cheap.

Posted by: marty (---.sub-75-236-156.myvzw.com)
Date: February 08, 2010 12:31PM

redice
Is it really the ushers' responsibility to initiate enforcement? As someone who has been an usher at Lynah (but not in Section O), I might be annoyed by the visiting team's band playing during action. But, I don't believe I would have taken it upon myself to quiet them.

OTOH, if the on-ice officials directed the staff to do it, I would then be more than happy to silence or remove them.

I agree. Why the hell doesn't Steve Waghell do somerthing about it? The asses from Potsdam were trying to juice up their moribund team in Troy on Saturday with the drums droning on during play.

Does it only bother Cornell fans? Does the noise bother the players?

Posted by: upperdeck (128.253.162.---)
Date: February 08, 2010 03:43PM

I was more amazed at the language that the clarkson band used and didnt seem to be getting in trouble for.. much worse than the stuff I see cornell fans getting tossed by the ushers for using, considering its an organized cheer and not some random person does that make it more allowable.. seem ruff em up was converted to stop kids from being tossed.. didnt seem to be an issue for clarkson to use those types or words.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: February 08, 2010 05:49PM

upperdeck
I was more amazed at the language that the clarkson band used and didnt seem to be getting in trouble for.. much worse than the stuff I see cornell fans getting tossed by the ushers for using, considering its an organized cheer and not some random person does that make it more allowable.. seem ruff em up was converted to stop kids from being tossed.. didnt seem to be an issue for clarkson to use those types or words.
Yeah, I loved S-H-I-T that's how you spell Ivy.

Posted by: ajh258 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: February 08, 2010 06:17PM

Jim Hyla
upperdeck

I don't think Princeton ushers care that much about hockey. I used the "you a**hole" line a couple of times and no one said anything.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: February 11, 2010 05:42PM

ajh258
Jim Hyla
upperdeck

I don't think Princeton ushers care that much about hockey. I used the "you a**hole" line a couple of times and no one said anything.

What ushers? They let you in the door, and then you're on your own. There are no ushers.

Regarding the double minor, I cpould not see the infraction as it was along the boards on our side. What I saw was after the whistle Greening went over to the ref, said something, then skated away. I suspect he was just confirming that there was no penalty on us. The Princeton player, however, was being pretty pissy and was refusing to go to the box. The refs kept trying to restrain him and push him away from the Cornell bench but he kept trying to get back over there. After a minute or so, I saw the ref signal an unsportmanlike conduct penalty towards the bench. It was later announced as "Bench minor - unsportsmanlike conduct" but I have no idea what Gadowsky did or said.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login