Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell 5 Clarkson 3, Postgame Thread

Posted by Trotsky 
Cornell 5 Clarkson 3, Postgame Thread
Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: January 30, 2010 09:17PM

4 point weekend. :-)
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2010 09:32PM by Trotsky.

Re: Cornell 5 Clarkson 3, Postgame.
Date: January 30, 2010 09:18PM

RPI 4 Yale 0, final. Cornell alone in first by pct and points.

Posted by: Oat (58.64.43.---)
Date: January 30, 2010 09:19PM

We broke out of the 0-for-32 PP slump!

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 30, 2010 09:22PM

Oat
We broke out of the 0-for-32 PP slump!
And outscored Clarkson 3-2 while a man up.worry

Date: January 30, 2010 09:26PM

Finals:

SLU 3 Colgate 2, ot
Brown 2 Union 2, ot

Standings

.769 9-2-2 20 Cornell
.643 7-3-4 18 St. Lawrence
.643 7-3-4 18 Union
.643 8-4-2 18 Yale

Cornell with a game at hand.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2010 09:32PM by Trotsky.

Re: Cornell 5 Clarkson 3, Postgame Thread
Date: January 30, 2010 11:26PM

The 3 ppg put Cornell back at #1 in conference in powerplay. Most of the 0x32 must have been in non-conference games.

Posted by: Dpperk29 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 30, 2010 11:37PM

That was a pretty decent game. Cornell played well, so did Clarkson. The officials were definitely on cornell's side, but I am not sure it cost Clarkson the game. Oh well, maybe this will set up for another playoff series @ Lynah between Clarkson and Cornell, those are always fun (see ECAC quarterfinals 2004).

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 30, 2010 11:42PM

Dpperk29
That was a pretty decent game. Cornell played well, so did Clarkson. The officials were definitely on cornell's side, but I am not sure it cost Clarkson the game. Oh well, maybe this will set up for another playoff series @ Lynah between Clarkson and Cornell, those are always fun (see ECAC quarterfinals 2004).
?????
I think what caused Clarkson the game was a 42-21 shot differential. After all we were only a net 1 on PPs.

Posted by: Drew (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 31, 2010 12:51AM

Jim, To a degree, much of the reason you were 42-21 on shot differential was that Clarkson was on the PK much of the night, no? Which is what devin was trying to point out ( i believe ). Would you not agree that it is more difficult for the team on the PK to get shots on goal when they are a man down?
Either way, I don't think it would have mattered much as we kind of.. sort of.. suck a lil bit.
Cheers,
Drew
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2010 12:54AM by Drew.

Date: January 31, 2010 01:09AM

PPs were 7 to 4. We don't keep shots on pp, but I'll bet it didn't hurt.

Cornell has outscored conference opponents, net, in all six 2-game weekends this season. That's the longest string of consistently good pairs since 9 straight back in the 2005 and 2006 seasons. Of course, the 2003, 04 and 05 teams did it 24 straight times. But still, Cornell has been consistent in league play so far. That's particularly important when you consider this time last year, when they followed up a 9-1-2 league start with 1-4-1.
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2010 01:15AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Drew (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 31, 2010 01:28AM

Trotsky
PPs were 7 to 4. We don't keep shots on pp, but I'll bet it didn't hurt.

Cornell has outscored conference opponents, net, in all six 2-game weekends this season. That's the longest string of consistently good pairs since 9 straight back in the 2005 and 2006 seasons. Of course, the 2003, 04 and 05 teams did it 24 straight times. But still, Cornell has been consistent in league play so far. That's particularly important when you consider this time last year, when they followed up a 9-1-2 league start with 1-4-1.

Yes Trots, PP shots are not differentiated from even strength shots, which is the the argument I am trying make. PK masks the "opportunity costs" that effect a team when down a man. Tough to get shots on goal when you are a man down. That being said, we did not deserve to win.
Drew

Posted by: Avash (---.woh.res.rr.com)
Date: January 31, 2010 01:57AM

While on its seven power plays, Cornell outshot Clarkson 20-2.

[cornellbigred.com]

Date: January 31, 2010 02:17AM

Drew
Jim, To a degree, much of the reason you were 42-21 on shot differential was that Clarkson was on the PK much of the night, no? Which is what devin was trying to point out ( i believe ). Would you not agree that it is more difficult for the team on the PK to get shots on goal when they are a man down?
Either way, I don't think it would have mattered much as we kind of.. sort of.. suck a lil bit.
Cheers,
Drew
To a degree, I agree. But even at even we out shot you 22-15, and you only had 4 shots in 4 PPs. So any way you look at it we had territorial advantage on both PP and even. The only advantage you had was SH.worry I guess more than anything I was reacting to the comment "The officials were definitely on cornell's side". Just because we had more PPs doesn't mean we had the officials in our pocket. You are the most penalized team in the league, so maybe they're against you all the time.thud

Posted by: philmaywalt (71.175.8.---)
Date: January 31, 2010 03:30AM

Big difference in Video Feed--The feed for SLU (which was at best, horrid) as opposed to the Clarkson feed (astounding--even in color). The feed of the SLU game, which was a nail-biter start to finish, was unwatchable. Is there a difference as to who was running the video feed (company-wise), or do we just have bad RedCast nights???

Thanks for any feedback.

Phil

Posted by: Dpperk29 (128.153.223.---)
Date: January 31, 2010 12:15PM

Jim Hyla
Dpperk29
?????
I think what caused Clarkson the game was a 42-21 shot differential. After all we were only a net 1 on PPs.

Alright, I'll try to stay calm.

There were at least 2 Clarkson penalties that got called that just flat out were not penalties (Holding on Rufenach and Elbowing on Cayer). And there were several times cornell players got away with some of the exact same stick work that Clarkson got penalized for. So yes, I really do think that the officials were on cornell's side. Though I do think cornell probably would have won either way.

And cornell fans of anyone should know that shots mean about as much as spy satelites over canada. I remember many a cornell game where cornell would have huge shot totals and lose 2-1 (or some similar score).

And one more thing, nearly every home team in the world usually gets some help from the referees. It's just the way it is I think. For some reason or another the zebras always seem to call the questionable call on the visitors and let it slide on the home team. I have no hard evidence of this theory, just unrecorded observations.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 31, 2010 12:21PM

An excellent weekend for Cornell sports. Does anyone think 3 goals is too much to give up to the league's worst team? Imagine if our PP had continued on its merry oh-for-thirtysomething way.

Date: January 31, 2010 12:46PM

Dpperk29
And one more thing, nearly every home team in the world usually gets some help from the referees. It's just the way it is I think. For some reason or another the zebras always seem to call the questionable call on the visitors and let it slide on the home team. I have no hard evidence of this theory, just unrecorded observations.

Easy enough to test the hypothesis, although arguably home teams get an an emotional edge from their crowd which puts the D team short a step, forcing them into obstruction penalties.

Date: January 31, 2010 12:52PM

If this theory holds, an outlier data point would be the missed penalty called against North Dakta that led to the winning goal.

Posted by: ithacat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 31, 2010 02:57PM

Dpperk29
The officials were definitely on cornell's side, but I am not sure it cost Clarkson the game.

Clarkson's the most penalized team in the league. Apparently, the refs favor every other team as well. snore Roll's a punk and his team plays like punks. They're the dirtiest and whiniest team in the league. The crap they get away with after the whistle and in the crease is amazing. I can't remember the last time I saw an official push a player so hard in the chest it was nearly a punch -- give the ref credit for not tossing the whelp, Three times the ref sent Cornell players and Clarkson players, and each time the Clarkson player instigated things -- once the ref sent 2 Cornell players for something started by Clarkson.

PS, is Clarkson's band capable of learning to wrap up a song after the puck drops?

Date: January 31, 2010 04:16PM

Dpperk29
Jim Hyla
Dpperk29
?????

Alright, I'll try to stay calm.

There were at least 2 Clarkson penalties that got called that just flat out were not penalties (Holding on Rufenach and Elbowing on Cayer). And there were several times cornell players got away with some of the exact same stick work that Clarkson got penalized for. So yes, I really do think that the officials were on cornell's side. Though I do think cornell probably would have won either way.

And cornell fans of anyone should know that shots mean about as much as spy satelites over canada. I remember many a cornell game where cornell would have huge shot totals and lose 2-1 (or some similar score).

Please do, but to come to a Cornell board and then complain that the officials were on our side, well, what do you expect? When I posted on the Knight's board I certainly didn't try to be inflammatory. Unfortunately over the years it seems there has to be a Clarkson fan who posts that way. Check out my posts on your board, I don't go trying to pick a fight.

The fact is you got beat in all aspects except SH. You are not having a good season and it's not because of the officials. I personally want you to do well, since you travel well and bring your band. We've had many great games over the years and I hope you can get up again in the future.

Posted by: ithacat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 31, 2010 05:37PM

Jim Hyla
I personally want you to do well, since you travel well and bring your band. We've had many great games over the years and I hope you can get up again in the future.

I'd agree, except I'll have to hold back until Roll's moved on.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 31, 2010 06:32PM

ithacat
Jim Hyla
I personally want you to do well, since you travel well and bring your band. We've had many great games over the years and I hope you can get up again in the future.

I'd agree, except I'll have to hold back until Roll's moved on.
Given the trajectory of his team, one hopes that isn't too far in the future.

Posted by: Dpperk29 (---.townhouse.clarkson.edu)
Date: January 31, 2010 07:40PM

ithacat
Dpperk29
The officials were definitely on cornell's side, but I am not sure it cost Clarkson the game.

Clarkson's the most penalized team in the league. Apparently, the refs favor every other team as well. snore Roll's a punk and his team plays like punks. They're the dirtiest and whiniest team in the league. The crap they get away with after the whistle and in the crease is amazing. I can't remember the last time I saw an official push a player so hard in the chest it was nearly a punch -- give the ref credit for not tossing the whelp, Three times the ref sent Cornell players and Clarkson players, and each time the Clarkson player instigated things -- once the ref sent 2 Cornell players for something started by Clarkson.

PS, is Clarkson's band capable of learning to wrap up a song after the puck drops?

Honestly,

Most nights I think Clarkson deserves each and every penalty they are given, and they probably deserve a few more than get called.

Whiniest team? How is that even possible with Bob Gaudet still coaching in the league?

My experience in hockey is that generally when things get nasty in front of the net the officials try to take an even number of players from both teams, it does take two to tango after all. Sometimes, you'll see one team get more than the other because one player did something egregious to start it or keep it going.

Date: January 31, 2010 07:42PM

Dpperk29
Whiniest team? How is that even possible with Bob Gaudet still coaching in the league?

That was my thought for "dirtiest team." I have a hard time imaging Clarkson as being unclassy -- over the years they've been my favorite conference opponent.

Date: January 31, 2010 08:08PM

Assistant at Duke?

Date: January 31, 2010 08:11PM

A team plays a defensive game like we do, there must be posts aplenty about us being an allegedly dirty team on the fanboards at Harvard, Brown, etcetera. They do have fanboards?

Posted by: jeff '84 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 31, 2010 10:03PM

Halfway down, "media/podcast" - the Barry Melrose line 1/27 -- Melrose reiterates that CU is the best team he's seen this year....
[espn.go.com]

Date: January 31, 2010 10:09PM

jeff '84
Halfway down, "media/podcast" - the Barry Melrose line 1/27 -- Melrose reiterates that CU is the best team he's seen this year....
[espn.go.com]
But then again, he hasn't seen a lot and that might have been our best game.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 31, 2010 11:11PM

jeff '84
[espn.go.com]
He also reiterates Cornell plays on one of the smallest ice surfaces in college hockey. Someone ought to tell him it's standard NHL-sized.

Posted by: polar (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 31, 2010 11:46PM

philmaywalt
Big difference in Video Feed--The feed for SLU (which was at best, horrid) as opposed to the Clarkson feed (astounding--even in color). The feed of the SLU game, which was a nail-biter start to finish, was unwatchable. Is there a difference as to who was running the video feed (company-wise), or do we just have bad RedCast nights???

Thanks for any feedback.

Phil

Info from the videographer Saturday night... apparently they were streaming differently Friday to Saturday. Friday they used multiple cameras, which meant they had to use a device called the stream genie to compile them. The genie then fed the data to a computer, which sent it to the internet. Saturday night, there was only one camera, so they were able to feed the stream directly to a computer and the web. Apparently they also streamed from different computers Friday and Saturday night.

Date: February 01, 2010 06:35AM

Al DeFlorio
jeff '84
[espn.go.com]
He also reiterates Cornell plays on one of the smallest ice surfaces in college hockey. Someone ought to tell him it's standard NHL-sized.
Seeing Cornell cycle the puck in the UNH end for two-plus minutes (more like kick it along the boards) and then get a goal saw Cornell at its most dominating. He would have gotten a different picture seeing the Red Army-style onslaught in game one of the North Dakota series by the [currently] Fighting Sioux.

Barry Melrose you listen to for entertainment value.

Posted by: Johnny 5 (---.syr.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 01, 2010 09:18AM

Any idea why WHCU went back to the 5 second delay Saturday night.
Did Mike drop an F-bomb on Friday??

cry

Posted by: redice (---.sub-75-237-254.myvzw.com)
Date: February 01, 2010 11:21AM

Johnny 5
Any idea why WHCU went back to the 5 second delay Saturday night.
Did Mike drop an F-bomb on Friday??

cry

Please make sure you address that question to WHCU. I believe the correct person to contact is Susan Johnston. I corresponded with her about that problem earlier in the year and they backed off. So, I don't know if there has been a policy change or someone just made a mistake Saturday night. Either way, it's a real pain....I just turned my radio off.

Posted by: Johnny 5 (---.syr.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 01, 2010 04:27PM

Will do.
Thanks!!

Yes, I turned mine off, too.

Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: February 01, 2010 05:34PM

billhoward
A team plays a defensive game like we do, there must be posts aplenty about us being an allegedly dirty team on the fanboards at Harvard, Brown, etcetera. They do have fanboards?

I don't think they do. You're more likely to find that sentiment on the RPI, Union, and SLU threads at USCHO. RPI likes to call Schafer whiney, but there will always be 2 pages of posts complaining about the officiating after every game they lose.:-|

Posted by: French Rage (---.packetdesign.com)
Date: February 01, 2010 05:36PM

TimV
billhoward

I don't think they do. You're more likely to find that sentiment on the RPI, Union, and SLU threads at USCHO. RPI likes to call Schafer whiney, but there will always be 2 pages of posts complaining about the officiating after every game they lose.:-|

Also according to certain USCHO posters SLU would have won the last 10 national titles if not for ECAC refs.

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Date: February 01, 2010 05:37PM

RPI fans aren't unduly whiney. They're just numerous, which means there are going to be a few kids / kids who never grew up. In other words, just like Cornell fans. The whiney fan award goes to St. Lawrence, with nobody else even close. The Colgate threads used to be whiney, but I got the impression it was because of a couple bad apples who have since moved on.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2010 05:39PM by Trotsky.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login