Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

North Dakota Postgame 1/23

Posted by Trotsky 
North Dakota Postgame 1/23
Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: January 23, 2010 09:10PM

Well, if Dartmouth can hang on Cornell will at least have picked up percentage against Union.

Edit: and they do. So:

1. .727 Cornell 7-2-2
2. .708 Union 7-2-3
3. .667 St. Lawrence 7-3-2
3. .667 Yale 7-3-2
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2010 09:15PM by Trotsky.

Re: North Dakota Postgame 1/23
Posted by: philmaywalt (68.70.12.---)
Date: January 23, 2010 09:15PM

We stood around tonight a LOT. I hope that changes during the rest of the season--or it might now bode well.....

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 23, 2010 10:30PM

From The Pregame Thread
Posted by: Oat (---.revip2.asianet.co.th) [ PM ]
Date: January 23, 2010 09:09PM

Robb
And an absolutely horrible giveaway in our zone leads to UND's 2nd goal. Ugh. D'agostino brought it out way too casually from behind our net and the Sioux player just picked him clean from behind.

Was it a "clean" pick? I didn't see it, but Greening immediately rushed to the referee after the goal and then Schafer argued for a while.
No it was not a clean pick. Terrible no call. The whole rink, Cornell bench and coaches were in uproar over it. I'm going to look at the Redcast, but a terrible way to end a good game. Yes, again they outplayed us, they have better players than we do; but to take the wind out of our sails that way was terrible.

Posted by: oceanst41 (---.crh.noaa.gov)
Date: January 23, 2010 10:36PM

Jim Hyla
No it was not a clean pick. Terrible no call. The whole rink, Cornell bench and coaches were in uproar over it. I'm going to look at the Redcast, but a terrible way to end a good game. Yes, again they outplayed us, they have better players than we do; but to take the wind out of our sails that way was terrible.

I have not taken a look at a replay yet, but at first blush it appeared to be a lot of stick work to me too. But again, Cornell got outworked, especially between the blue lines. UND had awesome puck pressure all weekend long.

Edit: I'll say outworked except in their own end. Cornell played fantastic defense all weekend too.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2010 10:42PM by oceanst41.

Posted by: JasonN95 (---.sub-75-236-221.myvzw.com)
Date: January 23, 2010 10:39PM

Jim Hyla
From The Pregame Thread

Robb
And an absolutely horrible giveaway in our zone leads to UND's 2nd goal. Ugh. D'agostino brought it out way too casually from behind our net and the Sioux player just picked him clean from behind.

Was it a "clean" pick? I didn't see it, but Greening immediately rushed to the referee after the goal and then Schafer argued for a while.

I may be arguing semantics, but I would not say that ND outplayed Cornell. ND likely has better players but I thought Cornell generated more legitimate scoring chances up to that point in the game by playing disciplined, "smart" hockey. ND at times kept control of the puck with superior skating/passing, but Cornell didn't recklessly chase or forget positioning and ND had very few threatening shots to show for it. It felt to me like a game that "should" have gone to Cornell, whereas last night "should" have gone to ND. It reminds me of the two game series at BU a few years back when BU was ranked a little higher and Cornell won the game they should have lost and lost the game they should have won.

(Edits for typos. I'm tired. snore)
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2010 10:43PM by JasonN95.

Posted by: Travis 02 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 24, 2010 12:06AM

I thought the 2nd ND goal resulted from a lackadaisical breakout, but also our guy was tripped right in front of our net as the puck was being skated out. That's how I saw it from section F.

Funny thing was, I thought I heard the Cornell goal announced with 9 seconds remaining as "Theeeee TYING Cornell goal, scored by . . . ".
I swear he said "tying". He definitely did not say "first" Cornell goal, as I would have expected. At first I though "ouch, what an embarrassing misstatement" but then I thought it was deliberate protest. That 2nd UND goal was BS because it was the direct result a BLATANT penalty (Cornell's lackadaisical play is beside the point if penalties are not being called).
Overall not the most exciting hockey I've seen in Lynah due to UND shutting down and playing pretty good defense, despite our good pressure at the end.

Can anyone else comment if they noticed how the CU goal was announced?

Date: January 24, 2010 12:31AM

Travis 02
He definitely did not say "first" Cornell goal, as I would have expected.
Our first goal is announced as "The Cornell goal..." not "The first Cornell goal..."

Date: January 24, 2010 12:33AM

Trotsky
Travis 02
He definitely did not say "first" Cornell goal, as I would have expected.
Our first goal is announced as "The Cornell goal..." not "The first Cornell goal..."
Agree and that's how I heard it.

Date: January 24, 2010 12:55AM

Despite the loss, Cornell improves in PWR from 17(t) to 15.

Posted by: ACM (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 24, 2010 09:42AM

Travis 02
I thought the 2nd ND goal resulted from a lackadaisical breakout, but also our guy was tripped right in front of our net as the puck was being skated out. That's how I saw it from section F.

Funny thing was, I thought I heard the Cornell goal announced with 9 seconds remaining as "Theeeee TYING Cornell goal, scored by . . . ".
I swear he said "tying". He definitely did not say "first" Cornell goal, as I would have expected. At first I though "ouch, what an embarrassing misstatement" but then I thought it was deliberate protest. That 2nd UND goal was BS because it was the direct result a BLATANT penalty (Cornell's lackadaisical play is beside the point if penalties are not being called).
Overall not the most exciting hockey I've seen in Lynah due to UND shutting down and playing pretty good defense, despite our good pressure at the end.

Can anyone else comment if they noticed how the CU goal was announced?

I can. But I won't.

Posted by: CKinsland (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 24, 2010 10:49AM

Jim Hyla
From The Pregame Thread

Robb

I had two NoDak fans sitting next to me and they looked rather embarrassed at that goal. Both agreed it was a blatant penalty and should have been called (though, of course, they were pleased to score).

CK

Posted by: ithacat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 24, 2010 11:07AM

CKinsland
Jim Hyla
From The Pregame Thread

Robb

I had two NoDak fans sitting next to me and they looked rather embarrassed at that goal. Both agreed it was a blatant penalty and should have been called (though, of course, they were pleased to score).

CK

Shame to have the game decided in that way. I didn't have the best view from C, but it sure looked like a trip.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 24, 2010 11:17AM

Too bad we didn't have TWC coverage Saturday night with its replay-for-the-viewers capability. Our grief would be more manageable knowing it could have been a 1-1 tie.

Posted by: CUontheslopes (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 24, 2010 11:29AM

ithacat
CKinsland
Jim Hyla
From The Pregame Thread

Robb

CK

Shame to have the game decided in that way. I didn't have the best view from C, but it sure looked like a trip.

Have to agree - one of the more blatant no-calls I've seen in a long time. It appeared as if the ND player grabbed the CU player from behind by the scruff of his neck and hauled him down - almost like a horsecollar. It was quick, but obvious.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2010 01:38PM by CUontheslopes.

Date: January 24, 2010 12:12PM

CUontheslopes
ithacat
CKinsland
Jim Hyla
From The Pregame Thread

Robb

Have to agree - one of the more blatant no-calls I've seen in a long time. It appeared as if the ND player grabbed the CU player from behind by the scruff of his neck and hauled him down - almost like a horsecollar. It was quick, but obvious.

CK

? This was a good post the first time, but did it have to be repeated?pop

Posted by: CUontheslopes (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 24, 2010 01:39PM

thanks - fixed it.

Date: January 24, 2010 06:28PM

The announcer said "Theee TYING Cornell goal" when announcing our first goal with 9 seconds left. That's my story, and until I hear audio / see video showing otherwise, I'm sticking to it.

Posted by: Larry72 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 24, 2010 06:48PM

Art said as he always does when Cornell scores its first goal at home: "The Cornell goal..." Same cadence with no variation!

Posted by: imafrshmn (---.resnet.stonybrook.edu)
Date: January 24, 2010 07:08PM

Larry72
Art said as he always does when Cornell scores its first goal at home: "The Cornell goal..." Same cadence with no variation!

I have only watched a college hockey game away from Lynah at Starr, but I would guess that we have one of the most reserved (classy) PA announcers anywhere in Arthur Mintz. When he announces the Cornell starting lineup and Cornell goals, his clear annunciation and staid tone work well because he doesn't upstage the players' celebrations and fans' cheering and also because it is an old-school, traditional style, which echo the program's history and Lynah experience. Of course, that's almost true by definition, since he's been the "voice" for ages now and is a part of the fabric.

Are there any other rink announcers out there in the same vein?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2010 07:12PM by imafrshmn.

Date: January 24, 2010 07:18PM

Larry72
I do appreciate Art's style of announcing, and I acknowledge that he probably did not change anything and that I'm probably wrong, but I'll keep this notion filed away until I hear some audio evidence, should it ever arise. If it doesn't, it's of little importance anyway.

Posted by: LaJollaRed (---.hsd1.dc.comcast.net)
Date: January 24, 2010 07:37PM

I always loved his cadence. It reminded me of Bob Sheppard every announcement.

Date: January 24, 2010 07:43PM

Some nice comments about their experience at Lynah on siouxsports.com forum. Here's a link to some pix one of their fans posted. Of course they're mostly of the Sioux, but it interesting to see some of our color through their eyes.

Posted by: Lauren '06 (128.189.86.---)
Date: January 24, 2010 07:58PM

Jim Hyla
Some nice comments about their experience at Lynah on siouxsports.com forum. Here's a link to some pix one of their fans posted. Of course they're mostly of the Sioux, but it interesting to see some of our color through their eyes.
Aww, they put a little flag in their hotel room window! That's so cute.

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 24, 2010 10:26PM

Lauren '06
Jim Hyla
There's a whole page of links to collections of photos.

Posted by: HeafDog (207.237.253.---)
Date: January 25, 2010 12:26AM

Lauren '06
Jim Hyla

My sarcasm detector isn't working right now, so I don't know if you were being serious or not. I think it's a totally sweet idea, and if I ever come into possession of a CU flag, I'll probably do the same thing myself someday.

Posted by: Lauren '06 (128.189.86.---)
Date: January 25, 2010 12:30AM

HeafDog
Lauren '06
Jim Hyla
My sarcasm detector isn't working right now, so I don't know if you were being serious or not. I think it's a totally sweet idea, and if I ever come into possession of a CU flag, I'll probably do the same thing myself someday.
No no, totally sincere.

Date: January 25, 2010 06:49AM

The love us, they really love us.
Sioux Sports
[forum.siouxsports.com] As for the Cornell fans, my word for them would have to be cordial. Very gracious in winning and losing. Cannot believe how many people thanked us for coming, asked us questions about UND, complimented our team, and fans. And one gentlemen who was so amazed at Hakstol's modesty at the booster luncheon, called him a class act. Which he is obviously. It was an all around great weekend, and all Sioux fans should look to attend the Cornell series if it happens again in the future. I will. I enjoyed meeting the other MD Sioux fans for drinks after the game

Posted by: redice (---.sub-75-195-98.myvzw.com)
Date: January 25, 2010 02:31PM

imafrshmn
Larry72

I have only watched a college hockey game away from Lynah at Starr, but I would guess that we have one of the most reserved (classy) PA announcers anywhere in Arthur Mintz. When he announces the Cornell starting lineup and Cornell goals, his clear annunciation and staid tone work well because he doesn't upstage the players' celebrations and fans' cheering and also because it is an old-school, traditional style, which echo the program's history and Lynah experience. Of course, that's almost true by definition, since he's been the "voice" for ages now and is a part of the fabric.

Not many!! Most feel that screaming their (minimal) brains out or adding wild voice inflection makes THEM the show. To me, it just shows me that they're idiots! The players are the show and that's the way it should stay!!

Arthur, keep up the good work and don't ever be tempted to mimic these mental midgets!! You exude class and that's the way it should be.

-Ned Harkness

Posted by: marty (---.sub-75-195-128.myvzw.com)
Date: January 25, 2010 04:13PM

This for some reason reminds me of the sax player leaning out of the window at the fleabag hotel attached to the old Boston Garden. He serenaded us with "On Wisconsin". In '73 I think I was a bit jealous.

Date: January 25, 2010 06:17PM

Greening on All-Acess this past Sat. His interview with Jason starts around 41 min mark.

Posted by: Goon (---.midco.net)
Date: January 26, 2010 12:29AM

Of course we love you guys, I wish I could have gone to the game.

Date: January 26, 2010 07:46AM

marty
This for some reason reminds me of the sax player leaning out of the window at the fleabag hotel attached to the old Boston Garden. He serenaded us with "On Wisconsin". In '73 I think I was a bit jealous.
How could we be up 5-2 starting the third and not have won that freaking game?

Great as Cornell fans are, there's also the impressiveness of sheer numbers. Does anyone else have a memory of bus after bus disgorging Wisconsin fans at the Garden? That's an 1100-mile trip. That's dedication.

Posted by: munchkin (---.c3-0.sbo-ubr4.sbo.ma.cable.rcn.com)
Date: January 26, 2010 10:18PM

Larry72

The BU announcer is similar and has probably been around just as long as Arthur.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2010 10:20PM by munchkin.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 26, 2010 10:45PM

munchkin
Larry72

The BU announcer is similar and has probably been around just as long as Arthur.
They're few and far between, sad to say.

Date: January 27, 2010 08:48PM

Jim Hyla
Just got an email distribution from Schafer with an attached video clip of that goal. No question. It was a terrible "no call." Mike wrote: "We were told the referee didn't see Ross pulled down." The ref had to be blind.

Date: January 27, 2010 09:09PM

Al DeFlorio
munchkin
Larry72

We're headed to Quinnipiac in a week where it's an organized party-and-cheering atmosphere, students get same-colored tees (handed out?), the scoreboard tells you when and what to chant, the announcer is on a perpetual we're-going-to-Disneyworld high ... but they're enjoying hockey in their own way. And for anybody who likes to take pictures, the rink is lit like being inside a television studio. That's what happens when you spend $50 million on a rink and basketball arena. Al, we'll miss you on this trip. I'm already starting to lust after that clam pizza at Pepe's before the game.

Date: January 27, 2010 10:52PM

billhoward
I'm already starting to lust after that clam pizza at Pepe's before the game.
We were at Pepe's Monday, Bill, on the way home from Philadelphia in the deluge. Well, not Pepe's, exactly--they are closed till Saturday for "maintenance"--but their little place next door, The Spot, the original Pepe's. The white clam pie was great, as was the large half-plain (no mozz), half mushroom pie. Took eight slices home and enjoyed for lunch today and again tomorrow or Friday. Enjoy yours. We'll be in Sibenik.

Date: January 27, 2010 11:31PM

Al DeFlorio
Jim Hyla
Just got an email distribution from Schafer with an attached video clip of that goal. No question. It was a terrible "no call." Mike wrote: "We were told the referee didn't see Ross pulled down." The ref had to be blind.
Any chance of sending that along to ts86? I'd be interested to see that one, as I'd like to compare it with my memory from section F.

Date: January 28, 2010 08:36AM

Travis 02
Al DeFlorio
Jim Hyla
Any chance of sending that along to ts86? I'd be interested to see that one, as I'd like to compare it with my memory from section F.
If you're ts86 at cornell.edu, it's been sent.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 28, 2010 08:42AM

Al DeFlorio
Curious that I didn't get this. Can you forward this to me or post it to youtube? Thanks.

Posted by: polar (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 28, 2010 01:47PM

Kyle Rose
Al DeFlorio
Curious that I didn't get this. Can you forward this to me or post it to youtube? Thanks.

Seconded on posting this to youtube, if you'd be so kind

Posted by: RichH (167.225.107.---)
Date: January 28, 2010 03:00PM

billhoward
Al DeFlorio
munchkin
Larry72

We're headed to Quinnipiac in a week where it's an organized party-and-cheering atmosphere, students get same-colored tees (handed out?), the scoreboard tells you when and what to chant, the announcer is on a perpetual we're-going-to-Disneyworld high ... but they're enjoying hockey in their own way. And for anybody who likes to take pictures, the rink is lit like being inside a television studio. That's what happens when you spend $50 million on a rink and basketball arena. Al, we'll miss you on this trip. I'm already starting to lust after that clam pizza at Pepe's before the game.

You forgot about the home team skating out of a giant, inflatable bobcat head.

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: January 28, 2010 03:27PM

Date: January 28, 2010 04:28PM

RichH
You forgot about the home team skating out of a giant, inflatable bobcat head.
Oops. I was blocking. Now I'm having the flashback.

Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: January 28, 2010 09:54PM

Geez. There's a ref 3 feet from the end boards at the longitudinal level of the face off dot looking right at the play! I was in Row 2 of Section K and closer to it than he was and I couldn't understand the no-call at the time.

Posted by: Robb (---.203-62.cust.bluewin.ch)
Date: January 28, 2010 10:59PM

Upon further review, I am still not convinced it was a penalty. The UND player does have his stick in there, but he also appears to get a bit of hip onto Ross. If it was the hip that sent Ross sprawling, then that's a legal check on the puck carrier. If it was the stick, then it's hooking.

Either way, it still looks like Ross was caught off guard. If he'd been paying more attention, he would have realized the guy was coming from behind and either been stronger on his skates or just flipped the puck out of the zone.

Posted by: cbuckser (76.197.13.---)
Date: January 29, 2010 02:56AM

Robb
Upon further review, I am still not convinced it was a penalty. The UND player does have his stick in there, but he also appears to get a bit of hip onto Ross. If it was the hip that sent Ross sprawling, then that's a legal check on the puck carrier. If it was the stick, then it's hooking.

Either way, it still looks like Ross was caught off guard. If he'd been paying more attention, he would have realized the guy was coming from behind and either been stronger on his skates or just flipped the puck out of the zone.

These days, a forechecker putting his stick in the puck carrier's midsection is a hook regardless of whether it was the stick or a hip that knocked the puck carrier down.

That said, Nick D'Agostino could have passed the puck to his defense partner, who was in position to receive a D-to-D pass. As long as Mike Schafer forgets which defenseman turned the puck over and thinks that it should have been a penalty, Nick shouldn't lose ice time over it.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: January 29, 2010 09:00AM

If you're caught by surprise you're not going to have time to make that pass, even if you have the presence of mind. I can't fault Nick on this.

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 29, 2010 09:29AM

I may be in the minority here, but what else is new. I'm also not 100% convinced that it was a penalty.

At the time it happened I wasn't sure, but based on the Lynah outrage I figured everyone else was right, and I just missed it. A friend of mine who sits on the other side of the rink asked me about it on the way out, and I said I wasn't sure. He told me he saw it clealry, and there was no doubt in his mind a penalty should have been called.

Watching the replay over and over, pausing it, etc., it looks like there might have been some inadvertent skate to skate contact that resulted in the fall. There's one frame of the video in particular that shows pretty clearly how the fall started. It looks like the Cornell player is losing the edge on his left skate. It's just not clear if that was from incidental contact, or if the UND's player stick was involved, which of course would make all the difference.

Posted by: JasonN95 (---.nyc.deshaw.com)
Date: January 29, 2010 09:36AM

I was sitting in section H. The UND player didn't hook him, he laid a cross check into Nick's back. Cross check. Hit from behind. One of those should have been called.

Posted by: redice (---.sub-75-195-232.myvzw.com)
Date: January 29, 2010 09:40AM

I have not watched the video. So, I'll withhold opinion on the penalty.

But, if after the level of video review that has taken place by you all here, it's still inconclusive, wouldn't it seem that the referees absolutely should have called for a video replay during the game?

To me, therein lies the failure of the on-ice officiating crew.

-Ned Harkness

Date: January 29, 2010 09:45AM

JasonN95
I was sitting in section H. The UND player didn't hook him, he laid a cross check into Nick's back. Cross check. Hit from behind. One of those should have been called.
That's exactly how it looks to me on the video.

Posted by: JasonN95 (---.nyc.deshaw.com)
Date: January 29, 2010 09:59AM

redice

But, if after the level of video review that has taken place by you all here, it's still inconclusive, wouldn't it seem that the referees absolutely should have called for a video replay during the game?

The officials cannot use video replay to consider calling a penalty. And the officials would not have had this video anyways; my understanding is the video they can look at for reviewing goals is the birds-eye camera set in the rafters directly above the net (although, in this case, the action might have been in that camera's field of view). Part of what is making things inconclusive for people looking at video here is that it is a wide field shot and the net happens to be partially obscuring the camera's view of what the ND player did.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: January 29, 2010 01:26PM

JasonN95
redice

The officials cannot use video replay to consider calling a penalty. And the officials would not have had this video anyways; my understanding is the video they can look at for reviewing goals is the birds-eye camera set in the rafters directly above the net (although, in this case, the action might have been in that camera's field of view). Part of what is making things inconclusive for people looking at video here is that it is a wide field shot and the net happens to be partially obscuring the camera's view of what the ND player did.
And that is why it's a penalty. The ND player came from behind and knocked him down. There was not room, because the net is there,to come from the side. Regardless of what you want to call, he got hit from behind and lost the puck. I'm in L and screamed when I saw no call. If you allow that around the goal, all hell will break out.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login