Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell 1, SLU 1 (Final)

Posted by judy 
Cornell 1, SLU 1 (Final)
Posted by: judy (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 16, 2010 06:53PM

Game thread. Go.

I'll try to keep up with the updates. It's been a while since I've done this.

1st
18:49 - Cornell - Collins (D'Agostino, Scali)

2nd
7:30 - SLU - vermeulen (Hughes, Child)
Edited 13 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2010 09:04PM by judy.

Re: Cornell @ SLU(T) - 1st Intermission
Posted by: upprdeck (---.syr.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 16, 2010 07:37PM

I dont recall ever having 2 games like this with no one around to discuss the games... where is everyone?

I think SLU had the advantage in the 1st.. shots were like 18-8, most of the SLU shots were harmless , but easily could have had a couple goals,, missed one open net, had one taken away and seemed to hit the cross bar if you can believe the announcers

speaking of announcers they were awful.. constantly complaining about Dell and crew. I think gallaghar was involved in a collision early which took an SLU player off the ice, they implied blatant kneeing by the CU player, but I was watching fball and only partially saw the play and that both players were down on the ice.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 16, 2010 07:41PM

Might people be in the chat?

Posted by: upprdeck (---.syr.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 16, 2010 07:44PM

someone also might want to tell SLU that having the scoreboard superimposed over the goal makes it hard to tell whats going on..

Posted by: Dafatone (---.resnet.colorado.edu)
Date: January 16, 2010 07:49PM

Either these announcers are insufferable, or we're the cheapest team in the history of college hockey.

I'm guessing the former.

Re: Cornell @ SLU(T) - 2nd Intermission
Posted by: hockeychick470 (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 16, 2010 08:16PM

who had the 5 min and what was it for?

Posted by: Rita (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: January 16, 2010 08:17PM

hockeychick470

riley nash. boarding. (and family bonding time with brother Brendon who was also in the box at the time).

Posted by: judy (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 16, 2010 08:19PM

Rita
hockeychick470

riley nash. boarding. (and family bonding time with brother Brendon who was also in the box at the time).

There was a lot of Nash family time in that box

Re: Cornell @ SLU(T) - OT
Posted by: sah67 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 16, 2010 08:53PM

Heading to OT tied at 1.

Posted by: jeff '84 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 16, 2010 08:54PM

going to OT. shots 33-27 SLU.

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 16, 2010 08:55PM

These announcers are the absolute worst. At least twice one of them has said, "this is why they should allow fighting in college hockey" referring to a cornell "cheap shot" that should be repaid via some fisticuffs.

Date: January 16, 2010 08:59PM

Cornell takes a time out with 1:35 left in OT.

Date: January 16, 2010 09:02PM

A Keir Ross shot from the point nearly sneaks across the goal line with 14 seconds left but SLU keeps it out.

Date: January 16, 2010 09:04PM

It's a 1-1 final from Canton.

North Country road trip with half the team struggling through an illness? I'll happily take three points.

Re: Cornell 1, SLU 1 (Final)
Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 16, 2010 09:05PM

Lots of times we've come back from the north country with less than 3 points to show for the weekend. Still, disappointing after rolling over UNH, perhaps understandable giving the team's health wasn't perfect.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2010 09:06PM by billhoward.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: January 17, 2010 12:11AM

billhoward
Lots of times we've come back from the north country with less than 3 points to show for the weekend.

Yep.

With the 3 point weekend, Cornell leaps into the orange for the first time this year.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 17, 2010 12:26AM

Well, I don't know what those announcers that you were listening to had to complain about. It was one of the worst officiated games I've seen. All 4 officials missed a 20-30 second too many men SLU penalty in the first period. All 6 SLU men were in the zone at once, and the CU bench and fans were screaming too many men. The number of icings let go was amazing. I don't know what the criteria were. On one of our icings the call was so late that we got to change our lines. Coach Marsh complained and I think Ref Baker had to go and explain that they couldn't put the CU players back on because they no longer knew who they were. At least that's the only explanation I could think of.

Offsides was also a treat. Once SLU was blatantly offside with a player in the zone touching a puck thrown back in and bringing it back out and in again. It was called so late that the SLU crowd thought it was incorrectly called on the bringing back in and not the original offsides. This is a game I might buy from b2 just to amaze myself with the bad calls.

Anyway SLU has no complaints when they have a second period of 1 penalty to our 5, including 3 minutes of 5 on 3 during a 5 min major, and we still outshoot them 14-10 in the period.

Considering all, refs and illness, I'm very happy with 1 point and a 3 point weekend.

Posted by: Lauren '06 (128.189.74.---)
Date: January 17, 2010 12:40AM

Jim Hyla
All 4 officials missed a 20-30 second too many men SLU penalty in the first period. All 6 SLU men were in the zone at once, and the CU bench and fans were screaming too many men.
To be fair, our team's gotten away with one of those this year as well. Not that I endorse equalize-injustice-style reffing--not at all--but cosmically, it was probably appropriate.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2010 12:42AM by Lauren '06.

Date: January 17, 2010 07:04AM

Lauren '06
Jim Hyla
All 4 officials missed a 20-30 second too many men SLU penalty in the first period. All 6 SLU men were in the zone at once, and the CU bench and fans were screaming too many men.
To be fair, our team's gotten away with one of those this year as well. Not that I endorse equalize-injustice-style reffing--not at all--but cosmically, it was probably appropriate.

But this is the same rink where last year we got called for too many men when we just pulled the goalie. Fortunately they reversed that one.

Photos from both games from the Watertown Daily Times are available here.

Posted by: Johnny 5 (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 17, 2010 07:58AM

Jim Hyla
Well, I don't know what those announcers that you were listening to had to complain about. It was one of the worst officiated games I've seen. All 4 officials missed a 20-30 second too many men SLU penalty in the first period. All 6 SLU men were in the zone at once, and the CU bench and fans were screaming too many men. The number of icings let go was amazing. I don't know what the criteria were. On one of our icings the call was so late that we got to change our lines. Coach Marsh complained and I think Ref Baker had to go and explain that they couldn't put the CU players back on because they no longer knew who they were. At least that's the only explanation I could think of.

Offsides was also a treat. Once SLU was blatantly offside with a player in the zone touching a puck thrown back in and bringing it back out and in again. It was called so late that the SLU crowd thought it was incorrectly called on the bringing back in and not the original offsides. This is a game I might buy from b2 just to amaze myself with the bad calls.

Anyway SLU has no complaints when they have a second period of 1 penalty to our 5, including 3 minutes of 5 on 3 during a 5 min major, and we still outshoot them 14-10 in the period.

Considering all, refs and illness, I'm very happy with 1 point and a 3 point weekend.

Just before OT started my wife commented to me, "Look at poor Greening. He looks like he's throwing up". He was sitting on the CU bench, bent over the rail. And, if he wasn't sick he definitely looked completely spent.

Yes, all things considered they performed more than admirably.
I can't wait to welcome them home.

thud

Posted by: Travis 02 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 17, 2010 09:38AM

Jim Hyla
Lauren '06
Jim Hyla

But this is the same rink where last year we got called for too many men when we just pulled the goalie. Fortunately they reversed that one.

Photos from both games from the Watertown Daily Times are available here.
Thanks for the link to the photos. That's a goofy little photo show that plays some funky beats for my Sunday morning viewing pleasure. That theme music doesn't fit the subject matter at all. There's a Cornell player about to get knocked into the boards and we've got peppy muzak playing in the background. Also, the transitions were probably random but sometimes they'd zoom in on an image for the slideshow effect and it'd zoom in on a player's skate or something else random. Nice shots though.

Posted by: amerks127 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 17, 2010 10:33PM

Jim Hyla

You can't overlook the great defense Cornell played at critical moments this weekend. Yes, there were some ugly giveaways, but the team only allowed two third-period shots to Clarkson in a tight game while they blocked countless shots all night against SLU(t) especially on the penalty kill. I was impressed with how Justin Krueger elevated his game and D'Agostino joined the rush on a number of occasions and was mostly responsible for the one goal in Canton.

Scrivens was absolutely the best player this weekend and it gives me a lot of confidence to see him leave North Country with just two goals against considering how he has performed in previous years. Considering all the adversity facing the team, three points is something to celebrate.

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 18, 2010 11:24AM

Jim Hyla
Well, I don't know what those announcers that you were listening to had to complain about.

There was one play where SLU was whistled for offsides (or offside if we're being correct--see, Jim--I remember) and the announcers went nuts over how the call was really, really late, and wasn't called until Schafer started yelling from the bench. They went on and on about how Schafer made the call for the refs. Finally after quite a bit of this, one of them noted that it --was-- the right call--just awfully late.

The announcers also had been very critical of Brendan Nash and hits and "cheap shots" he was involved in. Then Riley Nash took a penalty, and one of the announcers started in on him as if it was Brendan Nash. I guess the confusion is understandable, since they do share a digit on their jerseys.

These guys were seriously annoying!

Date: January 18, 2010 11:35AM

andyw2100
Jim Hyla
Well, I don't know what those announcers that you were listening to had to complain about.

There was one play where SLU was whistled for offsides (or offside if we're being correct--see, Jim--I remember) and the announcers went nuts over how the call was really, really late, and wasn't called until Schafer started yelling from the bench. They went on and on about how Schafer made the call for the refs. Finally after quite a bit of this, one of them noted that it --was-- the right call--just awfully late.

I wonder if that was the offside that I mentioned. The whole SLU crowd was upset. They thought the offside was when the puck was brought back in, but it was a late call from when the puck was thrown in earlier. CU fans and bench went understandably crazy when the first offside wasn't immediately called. The fans and maybe the announcers reacted to the late call. The problem were the refs; the announcers should know better.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: January 19, 2010 11:17AM

Jim Hyla
the announcers should know better.
The SLU announcers don't know anything. The PBP guy is okay but the color guy is, by turns, a fool, a drunk, and a tub-thumper for violence. He even airs his somewhat to the right of Attila politics during the broadcast. All in all, a real charmer.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.cmbrmaks.akamai.com)
Date: January 19, 2010 03:43PM

Trotsky
He even airs his somewhat to the right of Attila politics during the broadcast.
Yeah, but for you, "right of Attila politics" probably describes the late Senator Kennedy. ;-) BTW, I haven't forgotten about your email; I just haven't had the time to devote to a response, and I don't want to fire off something flippant.

Date: January 19, 2010 08:25PM

Kyle Rose
Trotsky
He even airs his somewhat to the right of Attila politics during the broadcast.
Yeah, but for you, "right of Attila politics" probably describes the late Senator Kennedy. ;-) BTW, I haven't forgotten about your email; I just haven't had the time to devote to a response, and I don't want to fire off something flippant.
What???:-D

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 19, 2010 09:29PM

Trotsky
Jim Hyla
The SLU announcers don't know anything. The PBP guy is okay but the color guy is, by turns, a fool, a drunk, and a tub-thumper for violence. He even airs his somewhat to the right of Attila politics during the broadcast. All in all, a real charmer.
Chico Resch has a relative in the business?

Posted by: Dafatone (---.resnet.colorado.edu)
Date: January 19, 2010 11:38PM

Trotsky
Jim Hyla

Come to think of it, he did spend the entire night going "this is why we need fighting in college hockey!"

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login