Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Clarkson Pregame

Posted by Jim Hyla 
Clarkson Pregame
Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: January 15, 2010 07:34AM

Very pregame. I'm going, but does anyone know if the Pep band is going?

Re: Clarkson Pregame
Posted by: Dpperk29 (128.153.223.---)
Date: January 15, 2010 08:47AM

I'll throw in my two cents...

I think Cornell will win, and probably by at least 2 goals. I am not selling out my team or anything, I am just being realistic. Clarkson's team isn't very good this year and Cornell's is. Cornell's offense should be able to over power Tech's defense and cornell's D will probably hold Tech to 1, maybe 2 goals.

That being said, Tech winning wouldn't be an earth shattering suprise, Tech can't play as bad as they have forever, and there is definitely a lot of potential there.

Just a friendly reminder to those making the trip up, take 81 north to exit 48 and follow the signs for route 11. 11 will take you all the way to Potsdam. Sometimes mapquest/google maps/GPS wants you to get off at an earlier exit in watertown, which will add a good 20 minutes or more to your trip. Drive Safe!

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 15, 2010 10:03AM

Dpperk29
That being said, Tech winning wouldn't be an earth shattering suprise...
I don't think anyone here thinks losing in Potsdam would ever be "an earth-shattering surprise."

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: January 15, 2010 01:11PM

Just got an email. Band will be at both games.banana

Posted by: jeffdav_CU91 (---.fanniemae.com)
Date: January 15, 2010 02:20PM

Has anyone by chance found a video feed?

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: January 15, 2010 04:27PM

jeffdav_CU91

Both Clarkson and SLU have feeds through b2.

[www.b2livetv.com]

"If you can't be there, b2."

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: Rita (---.med.miami.edu)
Date: January 15, 2010 04:36PM

jtwcornell91
jeffdav_CU91

Both Clarkson and SLU have feeds through b2.

[www.b2livetv.com]

"If you can't be there, b2."

b2 or b2?

Date: January 15, 2010 05:51PM

Some not-so-good news about this weekend's games: [www.theithacajournal.com]

Mike mentioned this in an email sent out during the phonathon, but I didn't want to post it until it was public knowledge. Not a Pizza Hut epidemic this time.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: January 15, 2010 05:58PM

Al DeFlorio
Mike mentioned this in an email sent out during the phonathon, but I didn't want to post it until it was public knowledge. Not a Pizza Hut epidemic this time.
Doesn't an email sent out to alumni constitute making it public? Anyway, better to err on the safe side.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: January 15, 2010 06:40PM

Per Schafer pregame: 5 defensemen tonight, with just 3 completely healthy.

Date: January 15, 2010 06:55PM

Trotsky
Per Schafer pregame: 5 defensemen tonight, with just 3 completely healthy.
Livestats shows Kary as the 6th D, after Nash, Ross, D'Agostino, Krueger, and Whitney. Presume Kary's there because we'd otherwise have an empty slot on the bench.

[Edit: Mike Devin and Birch out.]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2010 06:57PM by Al DeFlorio.

Posted by: RichH (167.225.107.---)
Date: January 15, 2010 08:15PM

No game thread? Eerie.

Re: Clarkson Postgame
Posted by: Dpperk29 (128.153.223.---)
Date: January 15, 2010 09:29PM

the better team won, but it was a good game.

Posted by: dbilmes (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: January 15, 2010 09:31PM

Who scored our goals? How did we play? I didn't get a chance to listen or watch the game online, and was hoping to at least see a game thread.

Posted by: Rita (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: January 15, 2010 09:52PM

Goal Scorers for Cornell:
Jillson
Patrick Kennedy
Colin Greening

Cornell jumped out to a 1-0 lead early in the 2nd, but Clarkson tied it up very quickly. It stayed at 1-1 until ~ 10 minutes into the 3rd (PK), and then Colin Greening sealed it up on what sounded like another great individual effort scoring when out manned (Jason Weinstein said something like 4 guys surrounding Colin).

Date: January 15, 2010 10:16PM

Rita
Goal Scorers for Cornell:
Jillson
Patrick Kennedy
Colin Greening

Cornell jumped out to a 1-0 lead early in the 2nd, but Clarkson tied it up very quickly. It stayed at 1-1 until ~ 10 minutes into the 3rd (PK), and then Colin Greening sealed it up on what sounded like another great individual effort scoring when out manned (Jason Weinstein said something like 4 guys surrounding Colin).
And it was NOT an ENG.

Posted by: Robb (---.107-92.cust.bluewin.ch)
Date: January 15, 2010 10:26PM

From the box on USCHO, it looks like Clarkson had 2 10-minute penalties. What's the story there? Chipiness at the end of the game or something else? Were they DQs or just game misconducts?
Just curious.

Posted by: Drew (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 15, 2010 10:40PM

I didn't see two 10 min...I only saw one and that was Marks breaking his stick after what he thought was a questionable call ( he was mistaken). It was a good game and well played, however, we made a few too many mistakes and you capitalized on them. We will see you again in a few weeks.
Cheers,
Drew

PS
Oh, and the one I mentioned was not a DQ.
Scrivens made some big saves, too.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2010 10:52PM by Drew.

Date: January 15, 2010 11:02PM

Drew
I didn't see two 10 min...I only saw one and that was Marks breaking his stick after what he thought was a questionable call ( he was mistaken).
Hitting from behind. Box score on cornellbigred.com shows two 10-minute misconducts. Probably the first for hitting from behind and the second for the stick trick.

Date: January 15, 2010 11:06PM

Holding Clarkson to two shots on goal in the third period, when fatigue could have been a problem playing only five D-men, was quite a feat.

Posted by: brealy_myers (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 15, 2010 11:06PM

No handshake post-game, either. I suppose that wa due to all the Clarkson penalties, although I found it to be surprising - maybe it was just the crowd but it didn't feel like an egregiously scrappy game.

Date: January 15, 2010 11:08PM

brealy_myers
No handshake post-game, either. I suppose that wa due to all the Clarkson penalties, although I found it to be surprising - maybe it was just the crowd but it didn't feel like an egregiously scrappy game.
A Clarkson contact-to-the-head penalty and a Riley Nash slash, both in the game's last minute, would seem to indicate something was going on.

Posted by: Rita (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: January 15, 2010 11:27PM

brealy_myers

On one of the audio feeds I think it was mentioned that the teams decided to skip the post-game handshakes due to the virus that is affecting the Cornell team.

Posted by: brealy_myers (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 15, 2010 11:31PM

Al - a very good point and I am interested to read some post-game reporting with coach quotes to see of there's any more color there.

I had not been to Cheel before and found it to be a strange place. To encourage the Golden Knights of Clarkson University the fans cheer "go tech", which is not their name, and blow a train whistle. It's befuddling - did the golden knight ride on the train? Maybe he was a train conductor before he was a knight (I would hope so, as that would be a tough job to do all armored up).

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: January 15, 2010 11:47PM

brealy_myers
I had not been to Cheel before and found it to be a strange place. To encourage the Golden Knights of Clarkson University the fans cheer "go tech", which is not their name, and blow a train whistle. It's befuddling - did the golden knight ride on the train? Maybe he was a train conductor before he was a knight (I would hope so, as that would be a tough job to do all armored up).

And we play a cowbell because Cornell is the Big Red Cows. :-}

One piece of explanation: before they changed the name to Clarkson University, they were Clarkson College of Technology, so "Let's Go Tech" has a long historical grounding. (You may also see some oldtimers here refer to them as CCT.) I presume the train whistle, like RPI's, is an engineer reference. The train whistle is more recent, though. "That damn bell" has been irritating Cornellians since at least the Dryden era. (It seems to be used to punctuate every cheer now; it used to be reserved for when something good (for Clarkson) happened. Of course I'm told that once upon a time it was simply rung continuously until someone made them stop.)

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: January 16, 2010 12:52AM

jtwcornell91
brealy_myers

And we play a cowbell because Cornell is the Big Red Cows. :-}

One piece of explanation: before they changed the name to Clarkson University, they were Clarkson College of Technology, so "Let's Go Tech" has a long historical grounding. (You may also see some oldtimers here refer to them as CCT.) I presume the train whistle, like RPI's, is an engineer reference. The train whistle is more recent, though. "That damn bell" has been irritating Cornellians since at least the Dryden era. (It seems to be used to punctuate every cheer now; it used to be reserved for when something good (for Clarkson) happened. Of course I'm told that once upon a time it was simply rung continuously until someone made them stop.)

Yeah, and IIRC, the train whistle was donated to Clarkson by an alumnus...they installed it in the newly-opened Cheel in the early-mid '90s.

Now I'm curious to see what brealy_myers thinks of the SLU siren tomorrow.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 16, 2010 01:03AM

Well, it was a good game to win, we could have easily lost. We started out well, but about 1/3 way through the first period something happened and we allowed thm to easily tie us up in our zone. They could have scored a couple of goals during that. I felt fortunate to come out even. After that we definately took it to them. At one point in the first period the shots were 8-3 them. Finishing 23-19 means we were 20-11 for the rest of the game.

Even when they quickly scored to tie the game, I didn't think we lost composure. The third period was obviously ours, but we did have some moments, most notably Whitney's giveaway. I wasn't aware of our GI problem, but there was discussion that we wore them down. If we were not up to 100% that's quite an achievement.

I don't think Clarkson is as bad a team as their record, but especially with us depleted they showed that they are not a top ECAC team. I don't know what's wrong with Clk but they don't have the horses that they did a few years ago, when they made some NCAA appearances.

Their fans and band are as obnoxious as always. A lot of sophomoric gender comments. The band playing during play still annoys me. Especially when the band starts a "S H I T that spells Ivy" right during play. That happened a couple of times. And the drums routinely start playing during the game play. They and the SLU drummer are the worst in the league, IMO.

I don't think there was any real "bad blood" during the game, and the disease explanation of no handshake makes more sense.

Well I'm happy to finally see a win at Cheel, it's been too long; now we have to try and get out of Appelton.

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: January 16, 2010 01:18AM

Rita
brealy_myers

On one of the audio feeds I think it was mentioned that the teams decided to skip the post-game handshakes due to the virus that is affecting the Cornell team.

Huh. After body-checking sweaty players for 2 hours, one would think that gloves-on fist bumps would be fine. *shrug*

Postgame
Posted by: ebilmes (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 16, 2010 02:54AM

This was a really, really nice win. You could tell in the first period that we just didn't have much energy or strength. It seemed like we lost every board battle, and the puck was in the Cornell end most of the time. It looked like B. Nash, Jillson, and D'Agostino were some of the players who were spared the illness, since they played with a good amount of energy tonight.

How many times this season have we let an opponent score within a minute of our taking the lead? Maybe the team just loses focus or something, but thankfully that quick goal to make it 1-1 didn't matter in the end.

Scrivens played very well tonight, especially since the defense in front of him made quite a few mistakes. Whitney had a terrible giveaway about halfway between Scrivens and the blue line, and Krueger made a dumb move when, without looking, he passed the puck to a Clarkson player right behind the net. D'Agostino made a number of very nice defensive plays, including one when he raced back to catch a guy who looked like he might be heading for a breakaway.

We also avoided the inevitable momentum shift which happens when you squander a 5x3. This was a terrible powerplay, and I'm not quite sure what the team discussed in the second intermission. I think we had one shot on goal, and the puck was poked away a couple of times.

In any case, the team looked much better in the last two periods. Once we grabbed the lead in the third, we witnessed an absolute defensive shutdown. Clarkson had two shots on goal the whole period! Wow.

Greening's goal was an absolute back-breaker. You see those a lot -- the goalie is about to come off the ice for an extra attacker, and they lose enough focus to allow the other team to tack on another goal. Greening was carrying the puck alone into the zone as the rest of the Big Red changed, and got off a nice shot.

What saved us tonight was discipline. The guys were tired, so it was really good that we didn't have to spend much time on the PK. Just a solid defensive effort.

Given the depleted team, this was a great result. Our first win in North Country in four seasons. I don't expect a win tomorrow, but at least we'll have two points this weekend.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2010 02:56AM by ebilmes.

Re: Postgame
Posted by: tretiak (---.resnet.ucsb.edu)
Date: January 16, 2010 02:55PM

How many times this season have we let an opponent score within a minute of our taking the lead? Maybe the team just loses focus or something, but thankfully that quick goal to make it 1-1 didn't matter in the end.

that's a problem for all teams, unless the goal is a back-breaker. remember the bu game when cornell answered the first bu goal about a minute after? the team that is scored on tends to come back motivated on the next shift, whereas the scoring team tends to lack that edge for a shift or two. it's the coach's job to keep his players' heads in the game after a goal.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 16, 2010 04:11PM

RichH
Rita
brealy_myers

Huh. After body-checking sweaty players for 2 hours, one would think that gloves-on fist bumps would be fine. *shrug*
It is traditional, after a scrappy third period, for the captains to make out. I understand their reticence.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: January 16, 2010 04:28PM

ugarte
It is traditional, after a scrappy third period, for the captains to make out. I understand their reticence.

You've found a way to boost attendance at the women's games.

Posted by: CKinsland (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 16, 2010 06:30PM

Trotsky

ugarte

...and make sure people bolt the arena after men's games.

CK

Posted by: Lauren '06 (128.189.74.---)
Date: January 16, 2010 06:34PM

CKinsland
Trotsky

ugarte

CK
Oh, not everyone...

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: January 16, 2010 06:39PM

Lauren '06
CKinsland
Trotsky

ugarte

CK
Oh, not everyone...
Maybe not, but I still think the stampede would make for a hazardous situation.

Posted by: Lauren '06 (128.189.74.---)
Date: January 16, 2010 06:41PM

KeithK
Lauren '06
CKinsland
Trotsky

ugarte

CK
Oh, not everyone...
Would it really be so terrifying that people would be in such a mad hurry to leave? Can't you just look somewhere else as you calmly make your way to the exit?

Posted by: CKinsland (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 16, 2010 07:36PM

Lauren '06
KeithK
Lauren '06
CKinsland
Trotsky

ugarte

CK
Oh, not everyone...
Would it really be so terrifying that people would be in such a mad hurry to leave? Can't you just look somewhere else as you calmly make your way to the exit?

I like to think most people wouldn't really care. I was poking fun at the pervasive attitude that watching two women kiss is hot and watching two men kiss is gross. Honestly, if it happened, most people would stand slack-jawed in amazement and confusion.

CK

Posted by: BCrespi (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: January 16, 2010 10:23PM

tretiak

that's a problem for all teams, unless the goal is a back-breaker. remember the bu game when cornell answered the first bu goal about a minute after? the team that is scored on tends to come back motivated on the next shift, whereas the scoring team tends to lack that edge for a shift or two. it's the coach's job to keep his players' heads in the game after a goal.

I'm sure there's a great deal of confirmation bias involved in that too. I highly doubt teams are more likely to give up a goal immediately after they score than in any other minute in the game. It's just that you notice it when it happens and correlate it to following the goal that was just scored.

Date: January 17, 2010 12:02AM

BCrespi
tretiak

I'm sure there's a great deal of confirmation bias involved in that too. I highly doubt teams are more likely to give up a goal immediately after they score than in any other minute in the game. It's just that you notice it when it happens and correlate it to following the goal that was just scored.
At least that's something that could be proven or not, as opposed to clutch.:-P

Date: January 17, 2010 06:58AM

The non-handshake was the flu according to Schafer's quote in Watertown Daily Times

"I'm real proud of our team tonight," said Big Red coach Mike Schafer. "We had 17 guys with the flu on Wednesday. I didn't know if we were going to be able to play today, if we'd have enough guys. That's why we didn't shake hands at the end of the game. It's running rampant through our team right now. I hope the fans here understand, we didn't want to pass it on to the Clarkson kids with the amount of flu we have."

Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: January 17, 2010 10:21AM

Jim Hyla
BCrespi
tretiak

At least that's something that could be proven or not, as opposed to clutch.:-P

Quickly Jim! Write a grant proposal! See games free while you collect data. You need a lot of games to crank up the power of the study.woot

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login