Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Alumni in the pros - January 2010

Posted by David Harding 
Alumni in the pros - January 2010
Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 02, 2010 03:25PM

Happy New Year!

Re: Alumni in the pros - January 2010
Posted by: jkahn (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 02, 2010 07:19PM

Moulson goal gives Isles early 1-0 lead.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2010 07:22PM by jkahn.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: January 02, 2010 08:18PM

Moulson an assist, as the Isles lead Atlanta 5-3 just halfway through the second.

Posted by: Rita (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: January 02, 2010 10:39PM

Wow, a shot from the point that hits the net, and trickles through the goalie! Yeah Douglas Murray! Maybe he'll be an offensive threat for team Sweden too ;-).

Date: January 03, 2010 12:37AM

With a goal, an assist, and many hits against the Oilers, Douglas Murray gets HNIC's #1 star. banana

Posted by: sah67 (---.dynamic.amnh.org)
Date: January 04, 2010 09:49AM

The fan Q&A with Douglas Murray has been posted here.

Posted by: cbuckser (---.ospd.ca.gov)
Date: January 04, 2010 07:27PM

Douglas has been named Shark of the Month for December 2009.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: January 04, 2010 07:44PM

Rita
With a goal, an assist, and many hits against the Oilers, Douglas Murray gets HNIC's #1 star. banana
Do I hate America if I root for Sweden in the Olympics? They've got two of my favorite players (Douglas and Henrik Lundqvist) and there are a lot of players on the USA roster whom I absolutely can't stand (Chris Drury, Jamie Langenbrunner, Brooks Orpik, Tim Thomas, Phil Kessel, Mike Komisarek, Zach Parise).

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: January 04, 2010 07:54PM

Josh '99
Rita
Do I hate America if I root for Sweden in the Olympics? They've got two of my favorite players (Douglas and Henrik Lundqvist) and there are a lot of players on the USA roster whom I absolutely can't stand (Chris Drury, Jamie Langenbrunner, Brooks Orpik, Tim Thomas, Phil Kessel, Mike Komisarek, Zach Parise).
Just asking that question means you hate America. Communist.

Posted by: redice (---.sub-75-237-209.myvzw.com)
Date: January 04, 2010 08:51PM

Josh '99
Rita

Geez Josh...You had to love that goal that Thomas gave up on New Years Day, huh? Pretty stupid. He's lucky that his team bailed him out on that one.

Posted by: ftyuv (---.c3-0.smr-ubr1.sbo-smr.ma.cable.rcn.com)
Date: January 04, 2010 10:17PM

What the heck is there to not stand about Thomas? The guy's awesome.

Posted by: RichH (12.189.157.---)
Date: January 04, 2010 10:32PM

ftyuv

You obviously weren't around to see the act that crybaby ding-bat put on whenever he lost while at UVM in the mid-90s. I remember after a tie at Lynah, he smashed his stick over the crossbar then stormed right to the locker room without handshakes. He gave an interview (during the ECACs, which they never won, mind you) about how Patrick Roy should step aside being over the hill and all, and he, as a draft pick of the Avs (nee Nordiques), was going to win the starting job. It only took him NINE years to make the NHL. While I disliked the Keebler Elves stick-twirling, fist-pumping antics, I could at least respect their game. Thomas was an ass. Kinda grinds my gears that he still somehow has a job, especially after it looked like he was done after '99.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 04, 2010 10:36PM

RichH
[Thomas] gave an interview (during the ECACs, which they never won, mind you) about how Patrick Roy should step aside being over the hill and all, and he, as a draft pick of the Avs (nee Nordiques), was going to win the starting job.
That kind of goes without saying, really, given that neither Thomas nor Vermont has ever won anything, doesn't it?

Date: January 04, 2010 10:37PM

KeithK
Josh '99
Rita
Just asking that question means you hate America. Communist.
You say that as if you haven't ever been known to chant "Let's Go Red". :-}

Date: January 04, 2010 11:23PM

cbuckser

According to his 1st intermission, Douglas considers himself more of a "thinker rather than a natural talent". B-]

Date: January 05, 2010 12:19AM

RichH
ftyuv

You obviously weren't around to see the act that crybaby ding-bat put on whenever he lost while at UVM in the mid-90s. I remember after a tie at Lynah, he smashed his stick over the crossbar then stormed right to the locker room without handshakes. He gave an interview (during the ECACs, which they never won, mind you) about how Patrick Roy should step aside being over the hill and all, and he, as a draft pick of the Avs (nee Nordiques), was going to win the starting job. It only took him NINE years to make the NHL. While I disliked the Keebler Elves stick-twirling, fist-pumping antics, I could at least respect their game. Thomas was an ass. Kinda grinds my gears that he still somehow has a job, especially after it looked like he was done after '99.

I wasn't, no. But then, I also don't hold grudges for a decade...

Posted by: nr53 (---.sub-75-211-25.myvzw.com)
Date: January 05, 2010 02:43AM

Looks like douglas is doing his best to show that he can chip in offensively as well. He scored his 3rd of the season, 2nd in two games tonight against the kings, on a power play no less.

Posted by: cth95 (---.hsd1.vt.comcast.net)
Date: January 05, 2010 03:52AM

Josh '99
That kind of goes without saying, really, given that neither Thomas nor Vermont has ever won anything, doesn't it?

I think winning a Vezina Trophy is pretty good.

I don't remember what he was like in college, but this acceptance speech is pretty gracious and emotional. "I had been more worried about getting my name on a roster than about winning the Vezina Trophy,"

As a side note, he also won the the Roger Crozier Saving Grace Award for the best save percentage in the NHL (.933) and, along with Manny Fernandez, the William M. Jennings Trophy for fewest total goals allowed by a team's goalies.

Posted by: RichH (12.189.157.---)
Date: January 05, 2010 08:27AM

ftyuv
RichH
ftyuv

Oh, I'm sure you do...maybe not for hockey players.

Also, I wouldn't call my personal feelings a grudge, since I don't particularly care about the NHL. I was just trying to give you perspective about how someone could be looked at here less than favorably.

Date: January 05, 2010 09:01AM

RichH
ftyuv
RichH
ftyuv

Oh, I'm sure you do...maybe not for hockey players.

Also, I wouldn't call my personal feelings a grudge, since I don't particularly care about the NHL. I was just trying to give you perspective about how someone could be looked at here less than favorably.

I actually can't think of anyone I still hold a grudge against. :-) I'm a pretty mellow guy. But anyway, fair enough. My point was more to the fact that how a guy acts in college could be different than how he acts after nearly a decade of struggling to get to where he wants to get. To quote Calvin's dad, it builds character. (Thomas is still a bit of a hothead, but I don't think enough to warrant a "can't stand him" on its own.)

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: January 05, 2010 09:10AM

It was irritating to see the Tim Thomas interview after the Winter Classic because he was (a) articulate and (b) gentlemanly, in contrast to expectations for a two-time winner of the Melrose-Nickerson Award.

In the miserable annals of the Earth he will be duly enshrined.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 05, 2010 09:22AM

ftyuv
RichH
ftyuv

Just one more year before Osama gets the invitation to Thanksgiving?

Date: January 05, 2010 09:38AM

cth95
Josh '99

I think winning a Vezina Trophy is pretty good.

I don't remember what he was like in college, but this acceptance speech is pretty gracious and emotional. "I had been more worried about getting my name on a roster than about winning the Vezina Trophy,"

As a side note, he also won the the Roger Crozier Saving Grace Award for the best save percentage in the NHL (.933) and, along with Manny Fernandez, the William M. Jennings Trophy for fewest total goals allowed by a team's goalies.
Let me rephrase. Neither Thomas nor Vermont has ever won a championship. (I don't have time to look it up, but I'm sure either he or St. Louis or Perrin must've won some individual awards at Vermont too, but that's not what I meant.)

Posted by: ftyuv (---.kivasystems.com)
Date: January 05, 2010 09:40AM

ugarte
ftyuv
RichH
ftyuv

Just one more year before Osama gets the invitation to Thanksgiving?
A grudge to me is a lot more petty than that. It's more along the lines of "that guy was a prick to me, grumble grumble."

That said, I'd be happy to have Osama over for Thanksgiving. The bounty on his head is around $27 mil, according to the google.

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.rbccm.com)
Date: January 05, 2010 10:28AM

ftyuv
I agree. The guy gutted it out in the minors for years. NHL allegiances aside, it's hard to understand why anyone would despise guys like Parise, Langenbrunner and Komisarek. Parise in particular plays every shift with lot of intensity, his willpower is off the charts in my book. Let's go USA!

Date: January 05, 2010 10:58AM

RatushnyFan
Let's go USA!
I start each Olympics rooting for the US. After fifteen minutes of American network TV coverage, I'd root for anybody to grind us into the ground.

Haup Sverige! (Or whatever.)

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.rbccm.com)
Date: January 05, 2010 11:20AM

Don't let the announcers and biased coverage disguise the fact that these players have worked for this opportunity for years.......as have all the players from all countries, but these are our guys!

My $0.02!

Posted by: CU at Stanford (---.fifi.org)
Date: January 05, 2010 02:11PM

I was at the Jan 4th SJ Sharks game vs. L.A. Kings.
Ugly game for the Sharks.
The only bright spot for me was indeed Doug Murray's goal in the 3rd period.
He rifled that sucker home!

Player of the Month (Dec 2009) continued his hot streak, no doubt....

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: January 06, 2010 07:51AM

cbuckser
Here's the Sharks website on it and some interesting quotes.

Honors like this, along with being named to Sweden’s Olympic team, show it’s not all about numbers.

“Everybody likes to be recognized in some way shape or form for what they are doing,” Murray said.

Still, as a defensive-minded blueliner, Murray doesn’t look outwardly for praise.

“You’ve got to be able to be happy with yourself,” Murray said. “If you’re satisfied with yourself, everything else is extra.”

Murray is rewarded for his play by knowing his teammates realize how important he is to their success.

“This team always makes you feel good about good defensive play,” Murray said.

Murray’s defensive partner, Dan Boyle, knows a thing or two about offense, but knows solid defensive skills are important.

“Statistics get guys recognized as far as the everyday fan,” Boyle said. “In this room, he’s one of four top guys and he doesn’t need top numbers. He’s important and (the award) makes everyone feel very happy for him.”

Boyle still chuckles to himself when opponents try to take a run at Murray.

“I enjoy watching guys try to run him over. I don’t know why they try and do it,” said Boyle, referencing the fact that the opposition usually ends up on the ice.

Murray has been mention by Head Coach Todd McLellan as the most improved player during his tenure.

“I believe since training camp last year, he has improved more than anyone on our hockey club,” McLellan said.

Posted by: oceanst41 (---.crh.noaa.gov)
Date: January 06, 2010 09:14AM

RatushnyFan
ftyuv
I agree. The guy gutted it out in the minors for years. NHL allegiances aside, it's hard to understand why anyone would despise guys like Parise, Langenbrunner and Komisarek. Parise in particular plays every shift with lot of intensity, his willpower is off the charts in my book. Let's go USA!

The best way I can explain it is that he is the Nickerson that actually made the NHL. Always there for the stick work and after the whistle extracurriculars, but never there to answer the bell when someone wants to go. wank

Date: January 06, 2010 09:18AM

ftyuv

As a Bruins fan I love the guy, but I can definitely understand how easy it would be to root against him if he played for the other team. He's gotten better, but the punk in him comes out every once and a while ;-) (see Winter Classic).

Date: January 06, 2010 09:18AM

oceanst41
The best way I can explain it is that he is the Nickerson that actually made the NHL. Always there for the stick work and after the whistle extracurriculars, but never there to answer the bell when someone wants to go. wank
He's from The Island. We're all like that. ;-)

Posted by: ftyuv (64.119.135.---)
Date: January 06, 2010 10:00AM

oceanst41
ftyuv

As a Bruins fan I love the guy, but I can definitely understand how easy it would be to root against him if he played for the other team. He's gotten better, but the punk in him comes out every once and a while ;-) (see Winter Classic).

1) He was just trying to make it interesting for the home team fans.
2) No amount of thuggery, no amount, is too much when it comes to the Flyers. ;-)

Date: January 06, 2010 10:29AM

ftyuv
2) No amount of thuggery, no amount, is too much when it comes to the Flyers. ;-)

Or, for that matter, the Bruins. smashfreak

Posted by: ftyuv (74.9.47.---)
Date: January 06, 2010 02:31PM

Trotsky
ftyuv

Or, for that matter, the Bruins. smashfreak
Whatever, you're just jealous because we've got Satan on our side.

Posted by: JDeafv (---.mae.cornell.edu)
Date: January 06, 2010 02:34PM

Mention of Moulson and Cornell in the NHL.com recap of the first-half of the season:

Top 5: Guys that make you ask, "Who?"

1. Matt Moulson -- We're going to bet you either never heard of or didn't know much about Moulson before this season. That's OK, because neither did we. But the former King, who played 29 games over two seasons in L.A., has found a home on Long Island alongside John Tavares. The former Cornell star is on pace for nearly 60 points.

Posted by: ebilmes (---.adsl.snet.net)
Date: January 07, 2010 12:06AM

Kevin McLeod is playing for Springfield (AHL) if anyone's in the area.

[www.oursportscentral.com]

Posted by: Jerseygirl (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: January 07, 2010 01:23PM

Josh '99
Rita

WAIT A SEC. HOLD THE PHONE.

The post-game ceremony at the Winter Classic led me to believe that USA's Olympic hockey team was going to be made up of a scrappy bunch of adorable youth hockey players from all walks of life who could merely afford outsized jerseys that only served to highlight their diminutive stature, led by an older goalie who saw Vancouver as his last shot at international glory. I assumed that these players would use their youth and cunning to pull off moves made possible by their small size, such as skating between a flummoxed, tree-like defenseman's legs, thereby improbably winning enough games to advance out of pool play and into the medal round, where they dismantle quasi-communist teams made up of brutes who highlight their country's cultural stereotypes. They would do this through sheer heart, teaching their aging goalie the true meaning of team, and causing the evil opposing team's Soviet-era coach to throw his clipboard onto the ice out of disgust and disbelief, when, during a slow-motion montage set to an original song in the vein of "Eye of the Tiger" the winning goal is scored through some trick play the U.S. coach draws up during a tension building timeout.

No? Did I miss something?

Josh, you don't hate America because you intend to root for Sweden. You hate America because you live in NYC, which is godless and full of heathens, and is most certainly not "Real 'Murrca."

Posted by: sah67 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 07, 2010 08:07PM

Byron Bitz is a scratch for the first time in a while tonight. Probably had to do with the insertion of new acquisition Miroslav Satan into the lineup and the return of Milan Lucic.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2010 08:11PM by sah67.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: January 07, 2010 10:11PM

sah67
Byron Bitz is a scratch for the first time in a while tonight. Probably had to do with the insertion of new acquisition Miroslav Satan into the lineup and the return of Milan Lucic.

Given the game's outcome, expect Bitz back soon.

Posted by: nshapiro (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 08, 2010 12:08AM

Jerseygirl
Josh, you don't hate America because you intend to root for Sweden. You hate America because you live in NYC, which is godless and full of heathens, and is most certainly not "Real 'Murrca."

Reminds me of when the billboards on highways enterring Pennsylvania used to say "America Starts Here"

Date: January 08, 2010 10:51AM

sah67

The Globe beat writer is saying it's because of a back injury, and he likely won't play Saturday despite Savard being out now too. Though Sobotka certainly has been playing well enough of late to at least question if Bitz would be in the line up when they are at full strength.

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: January 08, 2010 12:45PM

Jerseygirl
Josh '99
Rita

The post-game ceremony at the Winter Classic led me to believe that USA's Olympic hockey team was going to be made up of a scrappy bunch of adorable youth hockey players from all walks of life who could merely afford outsized jerseys that only served to highlight their diminutive stature, led by an older goalie who saw Vancouver as his last shot at international glory. I assumed that these players would use their youth and cunning to pull off moves made possible by their small size, such as skating between a flummoxed, tree-like defenseman's legs, thereby improbably winning enough games to advance out of pool play and into the medal round, where they dismantle quasi-communist teams made up of brutes who highlight their country's cultural stereotypes. They would do this through sheer heart, teaching their aging goalie the true meaning of team, and causing the evil opposing team's Soviet-era coach to throw his clipboard onto the ice out of disgust and disbelief, when, during a slow-motion montage set to an original song in the vein of "Eye of the Tiger" the winning goal is scored through some trick play the U.S. coach draws up during a tension building timeout.

My favorite post from the decade of the Tens. I mean the Teens. Wait, what do we call this now? the Oh-Tweens? Dammit. We had ten years to figure out the last one. We failed, and now we have to do this again? Ugh.

Anyway...your last sentence is SO aught-8. Try this:

Hey Josh, you know who *ELSE* rooted for the Swedish hockey team in the Olympics?

Hitler.

Think about it.

Posted by: Ronald '09 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 09, 2010 10:48PM

Moulson just "won" a game for the Isles in a shootout. What a dumb way to decide a game. He took it in, faked to the backhand, and beat LaBarbera high stick side.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: January 09, 2010 10:54PM

Ronald '09
Moulson just "won" a game for the Isles in a shootout. What a dumb way to decide a game. He took it in, faked to the backhand, and beat LaBarbera high stick side.

Yikes, that game went to OT? I turned it off at 4-1 at the end of 2.

Date: January 11, 2010 08:15PM

Not our alum, but Ben Lovejoy, formerly of Dartmouth has been called up by the Pens and playing tonight (game on VS). I didn't catch his linemates, but I don't think Pittsburgh has the rights to Swallows or Johnson. bolt

Posted by: Jerseygirl (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: January 11, 2010 08:39PM

RichH
Jerseygirl
Josh '99
Rita

My favorite post from the decade of the Tens. I mean the Teens. Wait, what do we call this now? the Oh-Tweens? Dammit. We had ten years to figure out the last one. We failed, and now we have to do this again? Ugh.

Anyway...your last sentence is SO aught-8. Try this:

Hey Josh, you know who *ELSE* rooted for the Swedish hockey team in the Olympics?

Hitler.

Think about it.

Oh COME ON.

Date: January 12, 2010 02:38PM

Is ironic usage implicit in Godwin's Law?

Posted by: RichH (167.225.107.---)
Date: January 12, 2010 03:50PM

Trotsky
Is ironic usage implicit in Godwin's Law?

Thanks, Trotsky. I guess she didn't get the meme.

Posted by: JDeafv (---.mae.cornell.edu)
Date: January 12, 2010 04:17PM

Posted by: ftyuv (64.119.135.---)
Date: January 12, 2010 05:54PM

Farmers slaughter living being that they don't consider human.

You know who else did that?

Date: January 12, 2010 07:44PM

Moulson puts home his 17th of the year, (past former Black Bear Jimmy Howard).

Date: January 12, 2010 07:52PM

Jordan 04

"You can't miss them all" Matt Moulson on what has gotten him out of his recent scoring slump.

Date: January 12, 2010 08:03PM

ftyuv

Farmers slaughter living being that they don't consider human.

You know who else did that?
MORE WITCHES!

Date: January 12, 2010 09:21PM

Jordan 04

Holy shi..!

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 12, 2010 10:20PM

Trotsky
Jordan 04

Holy shi..!
Whoa. Did the Red Wings clinch a playoff spot already?

Posted by: scoop85 (173.84.100.---)
Date: January 13, 2010 08:46AM

Jordan 04

Moulson's scoring seems likely to decline the rest of the season, unfortunately. He's no longer on a line with Tavares (who is also in a scoring slump), and he's getting less PP time.

Although I'm a Rangers fan, I've caught a lot of Islanders games this year. They have a lot of promising young talent, and I think they'll have a strong second half.

Posted by: sah67 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 13, 2010 04:44PM

Byron Bitz is expected to return to the Bruins lineup tonight for the start of their western road trip in Anaheim, according to the Bruins game-day blog.

Tonight's game is on NESN, and tomorrow's game against Douglas Murray and the Sharks will be on the NHL Network.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2010 04:44PM by sah67.

Date: January 13, 2010 10:47PM

sah67
Byron Bitz is expected to return to the Bruins lineup tonight for the start of their western road trip in Anaheim, according to the Bruins game-day blog.

Tonight's game is on NESN, and tomorrow's game against Douglas Murray and the Sharks will be on the NHL Network.

Bitz warming up for tomorrow night's encounter with Murray? I just flipped over the the Bruins game and caught the tail end of the Bitz-Chipchura fight.

Posted by: Anna '03 (---.disney.com)
Date: January 14, 2010 10:34AM

There's a piece on Matt Moulson in the new ESPN The Magazine issue. Not sure if it is available to non-subscribers online.

Posted by: adamw (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 14, 2010 08:46PM

Trotsky
It was irritating to see the Tim Thomas interview after the Winter Classic because he was (a) articulate and (b) gentlemanly, in contrast to expectations for a two-time winner of the Melrose-Nickerson Award.

I agree, from first-hand experience, that Tim Thomas WAS an ass - back in the day. I'll never forget his comment about how when he graduated, he was ready to replace Patrick Roy as Colorado goalie. Yeah - ooooh kay..... However, he got kicked in the ass - and got some humility out of it. And he has clearly matured. So let's give the guy a break now, eh?

Posted by: adamw (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 14, 2010 08:49PM

Trotsky
RatushnyFan
Let's go USA!
I start each Olympics rooting for the US. After fifteen minutes of American network TV coverage, I'd root for anybody to grind us into the ground.

Haup Sverige! (Or whatever.)

I generally agree that U.S. TV coverage is nauseating -- and in other sports, it's gotten to the point where I root against the US a lot ... But I won't hold this against the US Olympic hockey team, especially since in that sport, we're the underdog - and so is college hockey, which is where a lot of those guys come from. So rooting for the U.S. is like rooting for college hockey.

To Josh's point - there have admittedly been some major prima donnas to come through the U.S. National Program in the past 8 years or so ... but thankfully, I think a) many of them have grown up ... and b) that is changing thanks to some changes in how they have gone about picking the World Junior team, finally.

Date: January 15, 2010 09:38AM

adamw
Trotsky

I agree, from first-hand experience, that Tim Thomas WAS an ass - back in the day. I'll never forget his comment about how when he graduated, he was ready to replace Patrick Roy as Colorado goalie. Yeah - ooooh kay..... However, he got kicked in the ass - and got some humility out of it. And he has clearly matured. So let's give the guy a break now, eh?
I will not, and you can't make me. :-}

Date: January 16, 2010 10:52PM

Douglas Murray set up a Joe Thornton goal with a pretty pass tonight, while Matt Moulson was one of four Islanders to score in the shootout as they defeated Buffalo 3-2.

Date: January 18, 2010 02:13PM

Moulson beats Brodeur 1 minute into the game.

Posted by: jkahn (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: January 18, 2010 02:13PM

Moulson backhands a rebound of his own shot to give Isles a 1-0 lead 1:07 in vs. Devils.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 18, 2010 02:24PM

Sawada is called up.

Posted by: jkahn (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: January 18, 2010 03:54PM

Matt deflects in an Andy Sutton shot for his 2nd of the game. Isles up 4-0 after 2. Yann Danis replaces Brodeur for the 3rd.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 18, 2010 04:58PM

Moulson named 1st star

Date: January 18, 2010 05:47PM

Moulson (and his post-goal celebration face) are gracing the front page of NHL.com right now.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 18, 2010 05:57PM

sah67
Moulson (and his post-goal celebration face) are gracing the front page of NHL.com right now.
Along with video clips of his goals. The second is titled "Moulson slapper" but it's really a deflection.

Date: January 18, 2010 06:25PM

It's actually pretty amazing Moulson's scoring much these days. He's no longer getting much PP time, and is no longer on the Tavares' line.

Date: January 18, 2010 06:29PM

scoop85
It's actually pretty amazing Moulson's scoring much these days. He's no longer getting much PP time, and is no longer on the Tavares' line.
It's almost like he might actually be good!

Date: January 18, 2010 07:34PM

KeithK
scoop85

What I really meant was that he wasn't being given the same opportunities as earlier in the season. For example, today he had under 13:00 of ice time; in the first half of the season he was routinely getting over 18:00, with a lot of PP time.

I do agree he's good!

Posted by: Karlmoose (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 18, 2010 09:04PM

Sawada playing right now (on Versus) and hitting everything that moves.

Date: January 18, 2010 09:44PM

scoop85
KeithK
scoop85

What I really meant was that he wasn't being given the same opportunities as earlier in the season. For example, today he had under 13:00 of ice time; in the first half of the season he was routinely getting over 18:00, with a lot of PP time.

I do agree he's good!
I knew what you were getting at. I was just being a smartass.

Posted by: munchkin (---.c3-0.sbo-ubr4.sbo.ma.cable.rcn.com)
Date: January 18, 2010 10:18PM

Sawada's line just scored. When the announcers were talking about him one piped up with, "Go Big Red!"

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: January 19, 2010 08:02AM

munchkin
Sawada's line just scored. When the announcers were talking about him one piped up with, "Go Big Red!"

I thought I heard that. Too cool.

Posted by: sah67 (---.guest.amnh.org)
Date: January 19, 2010 12:28PM

Douglas Murray had an assist in the Shark's 9-1 thumping of Calgary last night. He also logged nearly 3 minutes of powerplay time...quite unusual for him. Perhaps they're giving him a shot given that he's stepped up his offensive contributions as of late?

Date: January 19, 2010 01:05PM

sah67
Douglas Murray had an assist in the Shark's 9-1 thumping of Calgary last night. He also logged nearly 3 minutes of powerplay time...quite unusual for him. Perhaps they're giving him a shot given that he's stepped up his offensive contributions as of late?
More likely he was given additional PP time late in the game. The Sharks had a few powerplays in the third period long after the game had been decided (6-0 after 2). McLellan wasn't playing his first unit during these power plays - might as well get the other guys some man up time. I wasn't paying enough attention at this point to say for sure but I'd bet that was the story.

I was hoping that in a nine goal game with eight different goal scorers that maybe Doug could have netted one himself. But no such luck.

Date: January 19, 2010 01:58PM

Moulson has some love in this write-up. Matt must be happy with everything going their way right now. cheer
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2010 02:01PM by Trotsky.

Date: January 20, 2010 07:56AM

Article on Moulson in nhl.com .

Posted by: sah67 (---.guest.amnh.org)
Date: January 21, 2010 03:30PM

Evan Barlow named MVP of the ECHL All-Star game:

[ecachockey.com]

--complete with photo of someone that's not Evan Barlow

Posted by: jkahn (---.73.146.216.biz.sta.networkgci.net)
Date: January 21, 2010 05:35PM

sah67
Evan Barlow named MVP of the ECHL All-Star game:

[ecachockey.com]

--complete with photo of someone that's not Evan Barlow
but Mark McCutcheon's in the picture.

Date: January 21, 2010 09:41PM

Matt Moulson scores in the shootout to take the extra point from the Florida Panthers. The Panther announcers also had a lot of nice things to say about Matt during the broadcast.

Posted by: rojo (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: January 22, 2010 11:19AM

All in the Family:

From Islanders recap of last night's game:

After Panthers goalie Tomas Vokoun and Islanders goalie Dwayne Roloson each turned away the first shootout attempts, Rob Schremp made a few quick fakes in front and scored for the Islanders. Roloson stopped Michael Frolik. Then Moulson came straight in on Vokoun and went high for the clincher, a move he said he learned from his brother, Chris, a freshman left wing for Cornell.

"He said that it's no fail," said Matt Moulson, also a left wing, who has converted three of his four shootout shots this season to go with 19 goals.

Date: January 25, 2010 07:48AM

Article on Jon Gleed from the Stamford Advocate.

This quote is particularly appropriate for here :-D

Gleed was happier with the plus-10 he rated,

Posted by: sah67 (---.dynamic.amnh.org)
Date: January 25, 2010 10:05AM

Jim Hyla

I hope this doesn't happen again if Gleed gets called up to the Islanders and joins Moulson ;)

Posted by: ftyuv (---.kivasystems.com)
Date: January 25, 2010 12:17PM

sah67
Jim Hyla

I hope this doesn't happen again if Gleed gets called up to the Islanders and joins Moulson ;)

Did anyone ever figure out what happened with that? I heard rumors of whisperings that there was some love triangle or something. PM me with details?

Posted by: nr53 (---.cisco.com)
Date: January 25, 2010 05:16PM

O'Byrne with a pretty good scrap:

Posted by: Ronald '09 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 28, 2010 09:40PM

Moulson scored his 20th goal in a 4-1 loss to the Whalers tonight. Worth a post because 20 is a milestone.

Barlow/ECHL All-Star game on FS West
Posted by: tretiak (---.resnet.ucsb.edu)
Date: January 30, 2010 04:27PM

if you get FS West, this year's ECHL game is on replay. Started at 1PM pacific time.

Posted by: ScrewBU (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 30, 2010 06:35PM

ftyuv
sah67
Jim Hyla

Did anyone ever figure out what happened with that? I heard rumors of whisperings that there was some love triangle or something. PM me with details?

From here:
[espn.go.com]

Me and Jon are really close friends and we have been from our freshman to our senior year. People don't realize that we've been going at each other for two months and we have a lot of pride. We were competing and I gave him a slash and he gave me a cross check, and things got a little heated. It might have been a shock to people in the stands because they don't watch our practices, but those things are going to happen when you're competing and working hard. We worked it out, and we laugh about it now.

Posted by: cbuckser (---.ospd.ca.gov)
Date: February 04, 2010 08:08PM

Matt Moulson just scored his 21st. His soft shot hit two Lightning players' skates and went into the net.

The Lightning announcers also revealed that Matt wears #26 to honor Martin St. Louis, Matt has trained in Connecticut.

Edit: Oops. I forgot it was a new month. nr53 has posted this on the Feb. 2010 thread.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2010 08:09PM by cbuckser.

Date: February 04, 2010 08:47PM

cbuckser
Matt Moulson just scored his 21st. His soft shot hit two Lightning players' skates and went into the net.

The Lightning announcers also revealed that Matt wears #26 to honor Martin St. Louis, Matt has trained in Connecticut.

Edit: Oops. I forgot it was a new month. nr53 has posted this on the Feb. 2010 thread.

Funny, because St. Louis just scored.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login