Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Sleeping Bear?

Posted by sigmanu@CU 
Sleeping Bear?
Posted by: sigmanu@CU (---.nbcuni.com)
Date: December 01, 2009 10:45AM

Hello gang, frequent reader, new member/poster...don't hold my forum name against me!?!

Did anyone feel that we were "out marketed" Saturday night? The reason I ask is that in my section (88) there seemed like quite a few boys dressed like recruits :-) I thought if you looked at the big picture, BU "sold" themselves better. The opening video compared to ours was laughable. We have a rich(er) history and they were presenting all their HE championships and NCAA Championships...they have an alum (granted it was a Ranger) show up on the big screen getting the crowd riled up....we have some Dean of Students who giggles like a school girl on the screen. We have some staged (looked like it) pep rally video with the football team running through, a quick hoop mention about the back to back NCAA apperances ( no small feat!!) How about a little love from Joe N. and Kenny Dryden if not Moulson? We were not creative in my mind.

Digital video production highlighting our sports teams should have been an easier thing to achieve....maybe in 2011 we'll be better prepared! ;)

Overall, it was a great experince for my daughter and I, but aside from the crowd, the band, and the result, were we losers on the overall stage? Just my $.02.

Re: Sleeping Bear?
Posted by: Robb (---.1-85.cust.bluewin.ch)
Date: December 01, 2009 11:01AM

sigmanu@CU
We have a rich(er) history ...

Really? 5 > 2.

/USCHO

Posted by: ftyuv (64.119.135.---)
Date: December 01, 2009 11:08AM

Robb
sigmanu@CU
We have a rich(er) history ...

Really? 5 > 2.

/USCHO

Not in binary, though. Nyuck nyuck.

Posted by: sigmanu@CU (---.nbcuni.com)
Date: December 01, 2009 11:34AM

The "rich" history is outlined on the right margin of this forum. If you mean all history is measured only by NC's and not overall success then its a good thing Boehiem got his 2 at SU and Elway got his SB. The 11 ECAC's and 19 Ivy titles would lead one to believe that Cornell has a pretty rich one. Some of those ECAC titles were over the Terriers....

Posted by: HeafDog (206.208.181.---)
Date: December 01, 2009 12:06PM

Our video up on the jumbotron was embarrassingly bad, just like the other Cornell marketing videos I've seen while watching hockey over the past several years. There was one played during a televised game a few years ago (the only part of which I am unlucky enough to remember being some bespectacled kid saying, "I'm a lifer" ) that was just as bad as this one. Ezra may have said, "I would found an institution where any person can find instruction in any study," but I'd probably have to add, "and that makes a halfway decent marketing video, too."

The CU hoops video was pretty good, though, I have to say. Cornell hoops, w00t.

Posted by: TimV (---.amc.edu)
Date: December 01, 2009 12:31PM

I agree we were out-marketed in terms of the videos prepared by BU. Still, I prefer Cornell's Giggling Schoolgirl to The Tweeting Dean of BU...doh

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: December 01, 2009 12:32PM

sigmanu@CU
The "rich" history is outlined on the right margin of this forum. If you mean all history is measured only by NC's and not overall success then its a good thing Boehiem got his 2 at SU and Elway got his SB. The 11 ECAC's and 19 Ivy titles would lead one to believe that Cornell has a pretty rich one. Some of those ECAC titles were over the Terriers....

BU hasn't even made the ECAC tournament since 1985.

Posted by: sigmanu@CU (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: December 01, 2009 01:00PM

Trotsky

BU hasn't even made the ECAC tournament since 1985.

That's hilarious! Not really.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: December 01, 2009 01:04PM

sigmanu@CU
Wow, I know they are doing better than expected this year, but to predict another NC for this year already, wow.:-}

Posted by: sigmanu@CU (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: December 01, 2009 01:18PM

Oops. The Indiana game in '87 still stings. blush

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: December 01, 2009 01:39PM

As for hockey success, BU's video kicked our butts. Especially nice was all the graphics showing championships, and the NCAA hockey championships 4 rolls over to a 5. Impressive. The line that BU hockey won every tournament they entered last year, if I heard it right, that was impressive, too. Point is, when you talk about hockey greatness, we are the class of the Ivy League and the ECAC, but it's BU that's gotten the job done the last 35 years.

BU's Tweeting Dean was pretty cool after a fashion. Twitter is a great way to reach large numbers of people when you've got nothing to say and can do it in 140 bytes. What can you say about Susan Murphy? Put up a graphic that says, "Cornell grad. Competent"?

This is sexist so of course I'll say it: The crowd shots showed hordes of Cornell fans. An early in the game shot of two women with BU sweatshirts elicted a near-gasp from our section and the remark, "They are hot."

If Earl [correction: John] Silber were still BU president and he was introduced at the same time as Skorton, the boos from the BU section would have probably drowned out any noise from the Cornell fans. There's a man who kicked BU into being a better school by making enemies of huge constituencies within BU. Still, you gotta admire somebody who tells the faculty that a bunch of them are mediocre. Just don't try that at Harvard.

If there were recruits in the building, Cornell won the hearts and minds battle. No matter the score or the videos, this was Cornell's night for attendance and fan spirit.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2009 12:12AM by billhoward.

Date: December 01, 2009 01:51PM

billhoward
If Earl Silber were still BU president and he was introduced at the same time as Skorton, the boos from the BU section would have probably drowned out any noise from the Cornell fans. There's a man who kicked BU into being a better school by making enemies of huge constituencies within BU. Still, you gotta admire somebody who tells the faculty that a bunch of them are mediocre. Just don't try that at Harvard.

If there were recruits in the building, Cornell won the hearts and minds battle. No matter the score or the videos, this was Cornell's night for attendance and fan spirit.

IIRC, that was John Silber. He ran for MA governor as a party hack and went nowhere.

Posted by: RichH (167.225.107.---)
Date: December 01, 2009 02:56PM

billhoward
Especially nice was all the graphics showing championships, and the NCAA hockey championships 4 rolls over to a 5. Impressive.

Yeah, that's the video that NESN airs for commercials for upcoming BU games they broadcast. One advantage of being in a major media market is that you get glitzy videos. Whoopie.

heafdog
Our video up on the jumbotron was embarrassingly bad, just like the other Cornell marketing videos I've seen while watching hockey over the past several years.

Actually, I thought all our videos were pretty good, certainly not "embarrassingly bad." At least it didn't look like it was done by a high school A/V club, like some of them in the past. Probably the best ones yet, but I guess that's part of your point.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.cmbrmaks.akamai.com)
Date: December 01, 2009 03:03PM

RichH
Actually, I thought all our videos were pretty good, certainly not "embarrassingly bad."
They were inappropriate for the venue: too syrupy. It's a hockey game, which means more ass-kicking and less glee club.

Posted by: RichH (167.225.107.---)
Date: December 01, 2009 03:22PM

Kyle Rose
RichH
Actually, I thought all our videos were pretty good, certainly not "embarrassingly bad."
They were inappropriate for the venue: too syrupy. It's a hockey game, which means more ass-kicking and less glee club.

Yeah. And then there was that one that made our football program look like a place for excellence.

Posted by: tretiak (---.chem.ucsb.edu)
Date: December 01, 2009 03:42PM

Amen. I can understand mixing in other parts of Cornell with hockey clips, but did they not try to find hockey clips? Off the top of my head I can think of several clips of the last few years that should've been shown - Sam Paolini's OT goal to win the 2003 ECAC, McRae's 2OT goal to send Cornell to the FF, Mike Kennedy's GWG against Harvard, Barlow's rush against Princeton last year, Greening's 2OT winner against Princeton, Barlow's GWG against NU, throwing fish at Harvard, some big hits, and great saves. Put that together and you had a video to compete with BU's.

Date: December 01, 2009 03:49PM

Give thanks it wasn't 10 minutes of raw wrestling footage.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: December 01, 2009 05:17PM

tretiak

Amen. I can understand mixing in other parts of Cornell with hockey clips, but did they not try to find hockey clips? Off the top of my head I can think of several clips of the last few years that should've been shown - Sam Paolini's OT goal to win the 2003 ECAC, McRae's 2OT goal to send Cornell to the FF, Mike Kennedy's GWG against Harvard, Barlow's rush against Princeton last year, Greening's 2OT winner against Princeton, Barlow's GWG against NU, throwing fish at Harvard, some big hits, and great saves. Put that together and you had a video to compete with BU's.

I would have liked to see a shot of Dave driving the Zamboni (sorry, Olympia) in costume.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: ebilmes (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: December 01, 2009 05:52PM

RichH
Kyle Rose
RichH

Yeah. And then there was that one that made our football program look like a place for excellence.

I didn't really expect to see much high-quality stuff, since, as others have pointed out, Cornell doesn't have many opportunities to actually run these things on television.

Still, the football one was terrible. Way too much footage of the team running through Freshmen on the Field, which is a one-time event and often students' first and last football game at Cornell. Not just misleading and dishonest, but not the sport Cornell should be promoting. Go for hockey, basketball, gymnastics, lacrosse, wrestling, etc.

The BU video was fantastic. The rolling over of numbers -- HEA titles, NCAA championships, etc. -- was a great touch which really riled up the crowd. Very smart and hockey-specific. And ours... well, I can only take so many seconds of watching red-clad students bang thundersticks together as the 2-8 football team runs by.

I'm not sure why Sue Murphy was shown. We see her all the time. It would have been more interesting to see Gary Bettman, the Weill family, or some other famous alumni.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: December 01, 2009 05:58PM

ebilmes
And ours... well, I can only take so many seconds of watching red-clad students bang thundersticks together as the 2-8 football team runs by.
Not sure which is more of an atrocity: Thundersticks or the football program.

Posted by: BCrespi (---.njit.edu)
Date: December 01, 2009 07:32PM

tretiak

Unfortunately, broadcasting RedCast quality video over the "jumbotron" does not translate too well. I guess we'll need to have more highlight-reel quality moments in the NCAAs, when we're on a real network. I think that's something we can all get behind.

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 01, 2009 08:11PM

Since we're on the topic of video...why in the world did the redcast keep breaking away from covering what was going on on the ice to show the stupid red hot hockey logo? They had plenty of cameras available to them, thanks to the in-house MSG setup, or whatever it was. But during many stoppages, including ones where there was stuff going on, they'd cut to the stupid logo. At times they'd be showing the logo while play was taking place. Anyone have any guess as to what the heck they were doing?

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.60.172.18.ded.snet.net)
Date: December 01, 2009 08:49PM

andyw2100
Since we're on the topic of video...why in the world did the redcast keep breaking away from covering what was going on on the ice to show the stupid red hot hockey logo? They had plenty of cameras available to them, thanks to the in-house MSG setup, or whatever it was. But during many stoppages, including ones where there was stuff going on, they'd cut to the stupid logo. At times they'd be showing the logo while play was taking place. Anyone have any guess as to what the heck they were doing?

I got the sense they were showing whatever was up on the jumbotron and had no control over the video whatsoever. Hence things like the kiss cam and the focus on the penalty box at the end of every PP.

Posted by: ScrewBU (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: December 01, 2009 08:49PM

On a more positive note, at least our videos didn't use techno, or coldplay, or (shudder) techno remixes of coldplay. The juxtaposition of the Cornell videos classical music against the ravey, glowstick-waving BU music really said it all about the differences between the respective universities.

Posted by: Tom Tone (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 01, 2009 10:23PM

I also found it pretty tasteless that BU thanked the Terrier Pep Band but Cornell was more into the hotel they stayed at.

Also, I'm not even sure they still do Freshmen/Seniors on the field anymore.

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: December 01, 2009 10:27PM

Chris '03
andyw2100

I got the sense they were showing whatever was up on the jumbotron and had no control over the video whatsoever. Hence things like the kiss cam and the focus on the penalty box at the end of every PP.
I am pretty sure they were simply streaming the MSG in house feed. So you're stuck with whatever is on the big screen.

Another PR metric
Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 01, 2009 11:14PM

Unless there was an alternative version available, BU also won the battle of the programs. In the one I bought, the editorial content was balanced in volume, but the advertising was not. By my count there were 9 BU-related full page ads to Cornell's 4, 5 half page ads to 1, and 10 quarter page ads to none. Then you look the program credits and see that it "was designed, written and edited by Peter Charbonneau of Collet Communications" and look on the web to find that BU's Associate AD for Marketing Communications is Rebecca Collet. "Most recently, Collet served as principal of Collet Communications, LLC a private firm she founded in November of 2004, offering a broad range of public relations and communications strategies."

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: December 02, 2009 12:16AM

ebilmes
Way too much footage of the team running through Freshmen on the Field, which is a one-time event and often students' first and last football game at Cornell. Not just misleading and dishonest, but not the sport Cornell should be promoting.
The team picked up a lot of yardage on that one, though. Some of the freshmen were tougher than they looked.

Posted by: ScrewBU (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: December 02, 2009 12:33AM

billhoward
ebilmes
Way too much footage of the team running through Freshmen on the Field, which is a one-time event and often students' first and last football game at Cornell. Not just misleading and dishonest, but not the sport Cornell should be promoting.
The team picked up a lot of yardage on that one, though. Some of the freshmen were tougher than they looked.

In that spirit, maybe we should have Freshmen in the Net, and they would stop some of these late 3rd period goals :)

Re: Another PR metric
Posted by: RichH (67.151.79.---)
Date: December 02, 2009 12:50AM

David Harding
Unless there was an alternative version available, BU also won the battle of the programs. In the one I bought, the editorial content was balanced in volume, but the advertising was not. By my count there were 9 BU-related full page ads to Cornell's 4, 5 half page ads to 1, and 10 quarter page ads to none. Then you look the program credits and see that it "was designed, written and edited by Peter Charbonneau of Collet Communications" and look on the web to find that BU's Associate AD for Marketing Communications is Rebecca Collet. "Most recently, Collet served as principal of Collet Communications, LLC a private firm she founded in November of 2004, offering a broad range of public relations and communications strategies."

Well, then, doesn't it make sense that most of the advertising is BU-centric? Frankly, if BU spent more time, resources, and cash on producing a nice program featuring both teams for this one game, doesn't that mean that *we* won the "battle of the programs?"
Frankly, I'm trying to figure out what the heck our bitching in this thread is saying. Are we supposed to be happy or upset that our alma mater is worse at creating slick, marketing materials at athletic events? So maybe we're not as good a jock factory as others? Oh no.

Or do I have to remind you all of this??:

Date: December 02, 2009 12:50PM

RichH

Nope. Knew what it was before I clicked, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. nut

Date: December 02, 2009 02:42PM

KeithK
Chris '03
andyw2100

I am pretty sure they were simply streaming the MSG in house feed. So you're stuck with whatever is on the big screen.

OK, fine. Then my beef is with MSG, and not the redcast. In a way it almost makes it worse. I mean why would those of you with your butts already in the seats need to see the logo, instead of what was happening on the ice? It just doesn't make sense to me. And trust me--it was frustrating as hell at times.

Posted by: Dpperk29 (128.153.223.---)
Date: December 02, 2009 04:24PM

andyw2100
I mean why would those of you with your butts already in the seats need to see the logo, instead of what was happening on the ice?

Because they can look at the ice to see when it happening on the ice? who goes to a hockey game to watch it on the jumbo tron?

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: December 02, 2009 04:26PM

Dpperk29
andyw2100
I mean why would those of you with your butts already in the seats need to see the logo, instead of what was happening on the ice?

Because they can look at the ice to see when it happening on the ice? who goes to a hockey game to watch it on the jumbo tron?
Depending on how high up you are in an arena that isn't tiered, you can only see what's happening on the jumbotron.

Date: December 02, 2009 07:13PM

Dpperk29
andyw2100

You're making an argument against showing anything on the jumbotron. Assuming there is going to be something shown, it shouldn't be a damn logo.

Posted by: redice (---.sub-75-236-69.myvzw.com)
Date: December 02, 2009 08:01PM

Al DeFlorio
Dpperk29
andyw2100

Depending on how high up you are in an arena that isn't tiered, you can only see what's happening on the jumbotron.

And......when sitting in corner seats, down low, the action at the other end of the ice was definitely clearer on the jumbotron.

-Ned Harkness

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: December 02, 2009 09:48PM

Trotsky
RichH

Nope. Knew what it was before I clicked, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. nut
I thought maybe it would be this.

Date: January 18, 2010 09:53PM

RichH

Oh my, it's back: [grossmisconducthockey.com]

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 18, 2010 10:18PM

jtwcornell91
RichH

Strange but I actually like it. Not that I'd ever want us to do it, but watching it here is a good laugh.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 19, 2010 09:18AM

jtwcornell91
RichH

OK, so I see why the bear blows up the other CCHA schools, but why the icebreaker? I mean, I guess the icebreaker would've bit it with the rest of us when it blew up the rest of the planet, but still...

Date: January 19, 2010 11:11AM

Josh '99
jtwcornell91
RichH

OK, so I see why the bear blows up the other CCHA schools, but why the icebreaker? I mean, I guess the icebreaker would've bit it with the rest of us when it blew up the rest of the planet, but still...

I kinda understand the ice-breaker. The ice-breaker was "bothering" the bear, so it had to go. I, on the other hand, don't understand the need to destroy the earth. And the last third or so of the video is real repetitive and boring and repetitive and kind of boring. And repetitive.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 19, 2010 11:17AM

andyw2100
Josh '99
jtwcornell91
RichH

I kinda understand the ice-breaker. The ice-breaker was "bothering" the bear, so it had to go. I, on the other hand, don't understand the need to destroy the earth. And the last third or so of the video is real repetitive and boring and repetitive and kind of boring. And repetitive.
and boring.

Posted by: Lauren '06 (128.189.74.---)
Date: January 19, 2010 11:35AM

Jim Hyla
jtwcornell91
RichH

Strange but I actually like it. Not that I'd ever want us to do it, but watching it here is a good laugh.
I totally agree. Who needs coffee and an alarm clock--the best part of waking up is polar bears in F-14s.

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: January 19, 2010 12:16PM

Lauren '06
I totally agree. Who needs coffee and an alarm clock--the best part of waking up is polar bears in F-14s.
F-16s actually. :-D

Posted by: Lauren '06 (128.189.65.---)
Date: January 19, 2010 07:12PM

CowbellGuy
Lauren '06
F-16s actually. :-D
Considering I pulled a number out of the air, I'm astonished I was that close.

Date: January 24, 2010 05:15PM

andyw2100
Josh '99
jtwcornell91
RichH

I finally got the point of the boat. If you look at the bow, the name of the boat is "THE SEAWOLF".

It looks like the first version got taken down, but it's up at

I finally figured out why he

Posted by: cth95 (---.hsd1.vt.comcast.net)
Date: January 25, 2010 07:57AM

jtwcornell91

I finally figured out why he

Aaaghh!!! The bear must have got him before he could finish posting.!!!

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: January 30, 2010 11:38AM

jtwcornell91
RichH

And an even earlier version has surfaced:

Our beloved space bear doesn't even exploded up anything. He just swats some dumb bird in his face. And then there's a guy shaking his fist for some reason? Anger? Support? Let's say support. But we learn the back-story of why Space Bear blew up the planets in the next episode, as those same planets are clearly taunting him in the beginning of this one. Also, somebody saw the drama of a fly-in on Google Earth back then and didn't even bother to remove the Google logo.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login