Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Phillipe Hudon

Posted by Swampy 
Phillipe Hudon
Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: November 22, 2009 06:23PM

BRPH is reporting that Phillipe Hudon, at 6'1" and 195 b.1993 from Choate, has committed to Cornell for 2011. He was also being recruited by Yale, Vermont, BC, BU, Harvard, Michigan, and Princeton. His coach describes him as "the full package,” and USHR typecasts him by saying, "think Colin Greening." But perhaps the most enjoyable description to read is this one here banana.

Re: Phillipe Hudon
Date: November 22, 2009 11:03PM

More on Hudon. He was projected as the #2 pick in the QMJHL draft for his age group, except he made known his plans to go NCAA. The QMJHL Draft Guide describes him as:
QJMHL Draft Guide
The No. 1 power forward available in the draft. He’s a very intense, hard-hitting player who has a terrific shot. He’s a big, strong player who goes straight to the net. Not a finesse player. A good skater, but still needs to improve in that area. He needs to work on his vision and overall two-way game, but he’s an excellent player that any coach would love to have on his team.
He was also drafted #44 (by Green Bay) in the USHL Futures draft.

Posted by: tretiak (---.resnet.ucsb.edu)
Date: November 23, 2009 02:59AM

Boo - Choate sucks. In all seriousness, good luck to him.

Posted by: CUontheslopes (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 23, 2009 09:21AM

Glad he'll be joining us! Sounds like the type of big, physical forward we need more of!

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: November 23, 2009 10:14AM

CUontheslopes
Glad he'll be joining us! Sounds like the type of big, physical forward we need more of!
More importantly, he's said to have a "terrific shot." Maybe he can hit open nets with it.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: November 23, 2009 10:32AM

Al DeFlorio
More importantly, he's said to have a "terrific shot." Maybe he can hit open nets with it.

Behave! ;-)

Needs to work on skating, has two years to do so. This sounds vaguely familiar (c.f. Bâby, S.)

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 23, 2009 12:42PM

Hudon's apparent committment has yet to appear on Heisenberg's list. He usually gets those up right away.

Date: November 23, 2009 12:46PM

scoop85
Hudon's apparent committment has yet to appear on the New Additions section Heisenberg's list. He usually gets those up right away.

I see he has now added Hudon's name to the Cornell list and in the Northeast players list for 2011 (where Heisenberg has him listed as the 3rd ranked recruit in the Northeast Region).

Posted by: CUontheslopes (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 23, 2009 12:51PM

For someone who doesn't follow junior hockey at all (beyond oh look this guy's big and coming to Cornell) can someone comment on how big of a "win" this is for us recruiting-wise? Is he a Riley Nash caliber pick up? A little lower? What round might he be taken in an NHL draft? Thanks. It's just hard to get perspective with all these various jr leagues.

Date: November 23, 2009 01:36PM

I don't know if it's a meaningful comparison, but Heisenberg's #3 rated player from New England in 2006 was Alex Biega. #2 was Tony Romano. Make of it what you will.

Posted by: cbuckser (76.197.13.---)
Date: November 23, 2009 01:54PM

Hudon will play for Team Quebec in the U17 tournament next month. I think the players who participate in that tournament should be considered blue-chippers. Ben Thomson, who spurned his Cornell commitment to play for the Kitchener Rangers, will play for Team Ontario.

Posted by: ithacat (128.253.194.---)
Date: November 23, 2009 03:04PM

Joakim Ryan, who's mentioned in the article linked above as having visited Cornell this past weekend, might also play in that tournament for Sweden. Ryan's from New Jersey but was once a top tennis prospect in Sweden. His mother is Catarina Lindqvist.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Posted by: Swampy (---.219.128.131.dhcp.uri.edu)
Date: November 23, 2009 05:05PM

ithacat
Joakim Ryan, who's mentioned in the article linked above as having visited Cornell this past weekend, might also play in that tournament for Sweden. Ryan's from New Jersey but was once a top tennis prospect in Sweden. His mother is Catarina Lindqvist.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Humm. Sounds like Murray, D., which is a good pairing with Bâby, S. drunk

Posted by: pfibiger (---.sip.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 23, 2009 07:43PM

CUontheslopes
For someone who doesn't follow junior hockey at all (beyond oh look this guy's big and coming to Cornell) can someone comment on how big of a "win" this is for us recruiting-wise? Is he a Riley Nash caliber pick up? A little lower? What round might he be taken in an NHL draft? Thanks. It's just hard to get perspective with all these various jr leagues.

Hudon was ranked #2 overall for the QMJHL draft until he made his NCAA intentions clear. Even knowing that, he was still drafted in the 2nd round.

[timestranscript.canadaeast.com]

He is a big deal. With Hudon, Bardreau, Ferlin, and Knisley, we have an amazing group of players coming in at the forward position in 2011.

Date: November 24, 2009 07:51AM

We're also going to need to learn another version of Oh Canada.

Ô Canada!
Terre de nos aïeux,
Ton front est ceint de fleurons glorieux!
Car ton bras sait porter l'épée,
Il sait porter la croix!
Ton histoire est une épopée
Des plus brillants exploits.
Et ta valeur, de foi trempée,
Protégera nos foyers et nos droits,
Protégera nos foyers et nos droits.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: November 24, 2009 08:38AM

Uu Kanata! nangmini nunavut!
Piqujatii nalattiaqpavut.
Angiglivalliajuti,
Sanngijulutillu.
Nangiqpugu, Uu Kanata,
Mianiripluti.
Uu Kanata! nunatsia!
Nangiqpugu mianiripluti,
Uu Kanata, salagijauquna!

Now all we need to do is recruit someone who's Inuit. cheer

Posted by: Robb (---.203-62.cust.bluewin.ch)
Date: November 24, 2009 08:40AM

Trotsky

Ô Canada!
Terre de nos aïeux,
Il sait porter la croix!
Not exactly a literal translation, now is it? Per Google translate:

O Canada!
Land of our ancestors,
Thy brow is wreathed with glorious jewels!
For your arm knows how to wear a sword,
He knows how to wear the cross!
Your story is an epic
The most brilliant exploits.
And your valor, faith soaked
Protect our homes and our rights
Protect our homes and our rights.

A little bit more rabble-rousing than the Anglo version. I like it. upto

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: November 24, 2009 08:44AM

Translation from Patrimoine Canadien (Canadian Heritage):

O Canada! Land of our forefathers
Thy brow is wreathed with a glorious garland of flowers.
As in thy arm ready to wield the sword,
So also is it ready to carry the cross.
Thy history is an epic of the most brilliant exploits.

Ch.
Thy valour steeped in faith
Will protect our homes and our rights
Will protect our homes and our rights.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2009 08:45AM by Jeff Hopkins '82.

Posted by: Rita (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: November 24, 2009 08:45AM

Robb
Trotsky

Ô Canada!
Terre de nos aïeux,
Il sait porter la croix!
Not exactly a literal translation, now is it? Per Google translate:

O Canada!
Land of our ancestors,
Thy brow is wreathed with glorious jewels! (Your face east girds glorious florets!)
For your arm knows how to wear a sword,
He knows how to wear the cross!
Your story is an epic
The most brilliant exploits.
And your valor, faith soaked
Protect our homes and our rights
Protect our homes and our rights.

A little bit more rabble-rousing than the Anglo version. I like it. upto

BabelFish had a different translation of the 3rd line. I like Google's better.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: November 24, 2009 01:07PM

OK, I dare any of you to sing it in front of someone.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: November 24, 2009 03:25PM

Trotsky

Ô Canada!
Terre de nos aïeux,
Il sait porter la croix!
You mean you weren't all singing it in French already?

Amateurs. :-D

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.115.197.118.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: November 24, 2009 08:59PM

Jim Hyla
OK, I dare any of you to sing it in front of someone.

I have, when we played a Quebecois school at Lynah. Univ of Montreal, I think.

I also sang the German national anthem when we played the German national team in 1980.

Amazing what you can find in Uris libe.

Posted by: ithacat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 24, 2009 10:04PM

Trotsky

Don't forget Esposito's from Quebec, and Brisson comes in next year as well.

Posted by: Larry72 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 24, 2009 10:06PM

And the Polish National Anthem when we played them way back - I forget!!!

Posted by: imafrshmn (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 24, 2009 10:10PM

Casey Jones may have something to do with these French-Canadian recruits--he speaks the language IIRC.

Posted by: pfibiger (---.sip.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 09, 2009 03:21PM

A Montreal Gazette article about Hudon:

[www.montrealgazette.com]

"So when he was invited to the summer evaluation camp for Quebec's entry at the World Under-17 Hockey Challenge, to be held in Timmins, Ont., Dec. 29 to Jan. 4, Hudon knew he was an underdog to make it out of the 40-odd players at the camp ... Hudon got the news that he made the team two weeks ago, but really it should come as little surprise, because players like him don't grow on trees."

"Hudon's play last season was attracting college scouts in droves, but they won't be coming to see him anymore, as he announced last month he will be attending Cornell University in either 2011 or '12. With a 3.7 grade-point average, he will likely be academically eligible a year early."

Date: December 09, 2009 05:01PM

pfibiger

"So when he was invited to the summer evaluation camp for Quebec's entry at the World Under-17 Hockey Challenge, to be held in Timmins, Ont., Dec. 29 to Jan. 4, Hudon knew he was an underdog to make it out of the 40-odd players at the camp ... Hudon got the news that he made the team two weeks ago, but really it should come as little surprise, because players like him don't grow on trees."

"Hudon's play last season was attracting college scouts in droves, but they won't be coming to see him anymore, as he announced last month he will be attending Cornell University in either 2011 or '12. With a 3.7 grade-point average, he will likely be academically eligible a year early."
By "a year early" do they actually mean a year early? Heisenberg has him as born 4/15/93 which would mean that in the fall of 2011 he'd be 18, which seems fairly standard, but the Montreal Gazette article says he's currently a sophomore at Choate, which would mean he'd just have finished his junior year of prep school in the fall of 2011. So I guess my question is... can you do that? Don't you have to finish high school (or prep school) before Cornell will admit you as a freshman?

Sounds like he's quite a player, in any case - if I'm not mistaken, kids playing outside Quebec are at an unofficial disadvantage in tryouts for Quebec youth teams.

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.60.172.18.ded.snet.net)
Date: December 09, 2009 05:15PM

Josh '99

Sounds like he's quite a player, in any case - if I'm not mistaken, kids playing outside Quebec are at an unofficial disadvantage in tryouts for Quebec youth teams.

What about Quebec teams that hold tryouts in Ontario?

Date: December 09, 2009 05:34PM

Josh '99
pfibiger

By "a year early" do they actually mean a year early? Heisenberg has him as born 4/15/93 which would mean that in the fall of 2011 he'd be 18, which seems fairly standard, but the Montreal Gazette article says he's currently a sophomore at Choate, which would mean he'd just have finished his junior year of prep school in the fall of 2011. So I guess my question is... can you do that? Don't you have to finish high school (or prep school) before Cornell will admit you as a freshman?

If you mean 4 years, no. Prof. Maas's son, Dan, came to CU at 16. Here's a CU report on his involvement with the Mars Rover video. I don't remember the whole story, but it goes something like: he got bored in HS and asked his father about college. CU accepted him, but I suspect he did the course work needed for graduation.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: December 09, 2009 07:13PM

Could Ted Donato be a key to Cornell's recruiting?

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: December 09, 2009 07:19PM

billhoward
I'll believe that when Louis Leblanc transfers.:-P

Posted by: Robb (207.253.234.---)
Date: December 09, 2009 07:24PM

Al DeFlorio
billhoward
I'll believe that when Louis Leblanc transfers.:-P
Hey - it could happen. After a year at Harvard, perhaps he'll be inspired to take his academics seriously! :-D

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: December 09, 2009 10:30PM

Jim Hyla
Josh '99
pfibiger

If you mean 4 years, no. Prof. Maas's son, Dan, came to CU at 16. Here's a CU report on his involvement with the Mars Rover video. I don't remember the whole story, but it goes something like: he got bored in HS and asked his father about college. CU accepted him, but I suspect he did the course work needed for graduation.
Huh. I guess come to think of it I should've known that, I have a cousin who was one of those child-prodigy types who started school when he was like 14, but that was Brown so not a real college. :-D

Date: December 10, 2009 12:23AM

pfibiger

Is it me, or has our recruiting picked up a notch? With the occasional Riley-Nash exception, it seems in past years our top recruits were ranked in the relatively low double digits (1x or 2x) by Heisenberg. It seems now we're getting several single-digit rankings (Iles, Hudon, etc.) and more in the low double digits.

Not that I'm complaining mind you. banana

Date: December 10, 2009 07:42AM

Swampy
pfibiger

Is it me, or has our recruiting picked up a notch? With the occasional Riley-Nash exception, it seems in past years our top recruits were ranked in the relatively low double digits (1x or 2x) by Heisenberg. It seems now we're getting several single-digit rankings (Iles, Hudon, etc.) and more in the low double digits.

Casey Jones?

Posted by: Hillel Hoffmann (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: December 10, 2009 09:48AM

Jim Hyla
Casey Jones?
Word

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 10, 2009 10:04AM

Hillel Hoffmann
Jim Hyla
Casey Jones?
Word
I give, please explain.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: December 10, 2009 10:34AM

Jim Hyla
Hillel Hoffmann
Jim Hyla
Casey Jones?
Word
I give, please explain.

[www.urbandictionary.com]

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: December 10, 2009 11:28AM

Swampy
pfibiger

Why did you think we would think think you were complaining? :-}

Posted by: Swampy (---.219.128.131.dhcp.uri.edu)
Date: December 10, 2009 05:13PM

Josh '99
Swampy
pfibiger

Why did you think we would think think you were complaining? :-}

Why not? idea

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: December 10, 2009 05:48PM

Beeeej
Jim Hyla
Hillel Hoffmann
Jim Hyla
Casey Jones?
Word
I give, please explain.

Explanation:
Hillel is old.
Jim is even older.
:-D

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Date: December 10, 2009 08:38PM

jtwcornell91
Beeeej
Jim Hyla
Hillel Hoffmann
Jim Hyla
Casey Jones?
Word
I give, please explain.

Explanation:
Hillel is old.
Jim is even older.
You got that right. But with a 15 year old, I'm usually not that far off, at least I like to think sorolleyes.

Date: December 10, 2009 09:33PM

jtwcornell91
Explanation:
Hillel is old.
Jim is even older.
Only on the clock. Jim takes me two out of three falls. Word. Right on, Right on.

Date: December 10, 2009 10:58PM

Hillel Hoffmann
jtwcornell91
Explanation:
Hillel is old.
Jim is even older.
Only on the clock. Jim takes me two out of three falls. Word. Right on, Right on.
OK, OK you don't have to go that far back.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: December 11, 2009 01:53PM

Jim Hyla
Hillel Hoffmann
Jim Hyla
Casey Jones?
Word
I give, please explain.
[Drift alert] It isn't just the changing language that confounds us as the years progress. Time also makes you rethink what's young. Ann Bancroft seemed old in Goodbye Columbus; she was 36. Verna Blum (Marion, Mrs. Dean Wormer) seemed old in Animal House; she was 39. Now Sandra Bullock seems hot in Blind Side; she's 45. Not to mention Renee Russo in Tin Cup. Or Sean Connery in most any decade. To a teenager, anything between 40 and 70 is old and pretty much indistinguishable. OTOH Bobby Bowden has always looked old. Paul Newman always looked young until he was seventy-something. There will come a time when you return for a reunion and say, "You know, that 50th reunion class doesn't look that old." It is a scary and sobering moment and you probably should think about that advanced directive.

[Further drift] There's a limit to how hip a parent can be without it being forced. Similarly, black comics get good mileage out of white people trying too hard to act black. Bethany Van Delft (who is Puerto Rican, black, and Dutch): "The only white thing I do is listen to hip-hop."

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: December 11, 2009 02:17PM

billhoward
Jim Hyla
Hillel Hoffmann
Jim Hyla
Casey Jones?
Word
I give, please explain.
[Drift alert] It isn't just the changing language that confounds us as the years progress. Time also makes you rethink what's young. Ann Bancroft seemed old in Goodbye Columbus; she was 36. Verna Blum (Marion, Mrs. Dean Wormer) seemed old in Animal House; she was 39. Now Sandra Bullock seems hot in Blind Side; she's 45. Not to mention Renee Russo in Tin Cup. Or Sean Connery in most any decade. To a teenager, anything between 40 and 70 is old and pretty much indistinguishable. OTOH Bobby Bowden has always looked old. Paul Newman always looked young until he was seventy-something. There will come a time when you return for a reunion and say, "You know, that 50th reunion class doesn't look that old." It is a scary and sobering moment and you probably should think about that advanced directive.

[Further drift] There's a limit to how hip a parent can be without it being forced. Similarly, black comics get good mileage out of white people trying too hard to act black. Bethany Van Delft (who is Puerto Rican, black, and Dutch): "The only white thing I do is listen to hip-hop."

Dear billhoward,

[www.wikihow.com]

Love,

eLynah

Posted by: ursusminor (---.res.east.verizon.net)
Date: August 13, 2010 12:27AM

Hudon was selected to take part in the NHL's Research and Development camp to try out potential new rules. [www.nhl.com].
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2010 12:28AM by ursusminor.

Date: August 31, 2010 10:14PM

I have no idea if this site has any credibility, but check out projected picks 28 and 29 in the first round for this 2011 mock NHL draft.

Also see pick #70 -- one that got away

Date: September 01, 2010 10:52PM

scoop85
I have no idea if this site has any credibility, but check out projected picks 28 and 29 in the first round for this 2011 mock NHL draft.

Also see pick #70 -- one that got away

Holy crap, check out No. 90. Could that possibly be Dave Crombeen's son?

Posted by: pfibiger (---.186.101.97.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: September 02, 2010 08:27AM

Hillel Hoffmann

Holy crap, check out No. 90. Could that possibly be Dave Crombeen's son?

Nope, his father's name is Pat: [www.niagarafallsreview.ca] and it looks like Pat and all his brothers played major junior hockey.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login