Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

"This Week in ECAC Hockey"

Posted by curoadkill 
"This Week in ECAC Hockey"
Posted by: curoadkill (---)
Date: February 04, 2003 10:33AM

I believe the weekly show on the YES network debuts this week. It's half an hour and it can be seen:
Thursday at Noon
Friday at 1:30 AM
Friday at 6:30PM

Re: "This Week in ECAC Hockey"
Posted by: Greg Berge (---)
Date: February 04, 2003 11:25AM

If anybody wants to make a VHS of the show and throw it in the mail, I'll pay for all materials plus a beer carrying charge.

Posted by: marty (---)
Date: February 04, 2003 06:15PM

Thanks for the heads up.

On an unrelated topic, I received my first Weekly Hockey Release by Email. I think I was added to this list because I bought Albany ECAC tickets.

And in an even less related topic my son wrote his first Yale Daily News article. Check out the topic here:

[www.yaledailynews.com]
:-D :-D :-D :-) :-) :-) :-D :-D :-D

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---)
Date: February 04, 2003 06:23PM

Well, his "heritage" is evident, Marty.

By the way, DirecTV's periodic magazine has a one-page article on the Frozen Four in the issue that arrived today. Picture of Michigan's Eric Nystrom with mention of his Daddy, discussion of Michigan, North Dakota, BC, Maine, and UHN as "perennial powers," and a final paragraph which reads:

"Other contenders to make deep runs into the playoffs include Cornell of the ECAC and the WCHA's Minnesota, Denver, and Colorado College."

Date: February 04, 2003 06:44PM

[Q]Well, his "heritage" is evident, Marty.
[/Q]

I didn't know his mother posted here too!

Posted by: jkahn (216.146.73.---)
Date: February 04, 2003 07:01PM

Marty - while you apparently raised him to be a hockey fan, something went wrong in one of the history lessons. Dryden is class of '69, not '70. But few at Yale will notice.

Date: February 04, 2003 07:54PM

He should know better. He has heard the trivia question - the answer to which is Brian Cropper.

And add my name to those that didn't notice. But I tend to skim to the point of distraction.rolleyes

He sometimes reads this board. I think I'll let it go for a few days. Thanks for pointing it out though. He was under strick orders from his dad not to spend more than four minutes writing the thing but still...

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---)
Date: February 04, 2003 09:42PM

It's also on NESN Friday at 5:30pm and Saturday at 3:30pm.

Posted by: jeh25 (130.132.105.---)
Date: February 05, 2003 11:29AM

You named him after yourself? How vain can you get? Geez.

John Hayes III

(oh wait. nevermind.....)
;-)

Date: February 05, 2003 05:35PM

Actually, uh, kinda - different middle name. I'm a Jr. even though my grandfather, born in Armenia, was Martin as he had no middle name. yark

Way OT: Armenia
Posted by: nyc94 (---)
Date: February 05, 2003 05:42PM

Do you know much about your grandparent's history in the "old country" and travels to the US? My mother's parents were from Armenia although they left at different times at actually met here. My mother is now researching their various travels through visa records, ship manifests, etc.

Re: Way OT: Armenia
Date: February 05, 2003 06:26PM

I know just a bit. My grandparents were scared out before the killings began. I think they came over in 1898. My grandfather had to borrow money to make it from New York to the Albany area and of course the story goes that he repaid the loan. But as for the other side, I don't think much history has survived.

Their name doesn't seem to be listed on the Ellis Island database. Although alternate spellings make that search a real challenge. (I found my wife's grandfather's name with a bizarre spelling. He later spelled it such that there are no other families in the US with that name - Natcharian.) Our name was shortened by two letters and that makes for some interesting speculation, too. It seems that all of the Toomajian families originally were known as Toomajanian. Both last names and variations abound, but why and how the Toomajian's in New York shortened the name the same way that the Toomajian's in MA, MI, and CA did has always fascinated me.

I have grandpa's naturalization papers in which he used the longer name - so the switch was made after some time in the states. That plus a few photos and stories are all I have as he died before I came on the scene.

I have always conjected that my lack of interest in genealogy may be due to the impossibility of tracking the family history in Armenia. But one of my grandparents has a French name and was raised in Minnesota and I'm not really interested in tracking that family's history either. The interest or lack thereof in this type of research has to be partly based on personality type, n'est pas?

Date: February 06, 2003 10:13AM

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Spelling has been a big hurdle in my mother's research as is the hand written entries on census records, naturalization papers, etc. My grandparents name was Chakerian which in some records was spelled Tchakerian. Apparently this convention originates with the French and their influence on international postal standards. And I think the legend of Ellis Island may be overstated. Several other relatives came through Boston and one landed in Providence.

Date: February 06, 2003 12:01PM

Bill R '94 wrote:

And I think the legend of Ellis Island may be overstated. Several other relatives came through Boston and one landed in Providence.

Some came through Canada as well (my wife's Irish forebears). The "name-spelling" issue cuts across ethnic lines, too. I'm having the same problem tracking down grandparents on the Ellis Island site--Cerato/Cerrato, DeFlorio/DiFlorio, D'Errico/multiple options.

Incidentally, I didn't intend to turn this into an ancestral discussion with my "heritage" comment above--although it has turned into an interesting and worthwhile exchange. I was referring to young Marty's Cornell hockey "heritage," which I suspect resulted in more Big Red hockey history than would usually be found in a Yalie Daily article.

Date: February 06, 2003 12:05PM

So it's NOT on now.... I always wanted to know how to shrink wrap a hockey stick...

Posted by: Section A (---)
Date: February 06, 2003 12:09PM

:( - and I came back to my room specifically to watch it, as opposed to eating lunch in the Ivy Room. Oh well - it's still scheduled to be on at 1:30am tonight.

Date: February 06, 2003 12:11PM

Interesting that when you click the "info" button on DirecTV, it says we're watching "This Week in the ECAC.":-(

Date: February 06, 2003 12:18PM

The programming listings on yesmetowrk.com has magically changed to "What's it Worth." Digital cable still says ECAC....

You can try calling to complain at 646-487-3600 but I just got bounced around from person to person til I got a weird voicemail message....

If they end up only showing it at 6:30 on Friday's I'll be pretty angry....

Posted by: rhovorka (---)
Date: February 06, 2003 12:41PM

They have a feedback page, you can try sending an email.
[www.yesnetwork.com]

Date: February 06, 2003 12:48PM

Chris Parkin '03 wrote:

If they end up only showing it at 6:30 on Friday's I'll be pretty angry....
That really would be just about the ultimate in thoughtlessness.
rolleyes

Posted by: Tub(a) (---)
Date: February 06, 2003 02:50PM

The only reason I can think of for showing it at 6:30 on Fridays is that it would make a logical lead-in to their televised ECAC games when they start.

Posted by: jason (209.176.0.---)
Date: February 06, 2003 03:15PM

Last night I scanned the tv listing on my Tivo in an attempt to set it to record the program and it did show up at all (and I scanned through the upcoming two weeks).

EDIT: that should have been "did not show up"

Date: February 06, 2003 05:32PM

I thought that the comment was concerning writing ability - which he inherited from his mom. But his devotion to the Big Red before the fall of '02 was primarily due to seeing his dad's anguish and delight at games he has attended since approximately 1990. This included a yearly trip to Ithaca that coincided with Coach Schafer's first season.

His comment at the end of game two versus Yale in the first round last year was "I sure won't be getting any of this at Yale" or words to that effect. Very astute.

Date: February 06, 2003 05:35PM

Maybe we can get Age to start harassing them..... nut

Date: February 07, 2003 01:34AM

It's on at 1:30 eastern - YES.

Posted by: bigred apple (---)
Date: February 07, 2003 02:17AM

Tuned in at 1:45. Commercials until 1:48 A 3 minute Higgins profile. More commercials. "Now we turn to women's hockey." I nearly killed myself.

The host appears to know nothing about ECAC hockey and was constantly looking down to read off of the page. Somebody get that man a teleprompter. And his 1970's era host-guy delivery was driving me batty.

Finally, he gave the preseason poll results for the women, and the results were an on-screen graphic, noting that Harvard was the overwhelming favorite. He then said "That was then, THIS IS NOW. . . St. Lawrence is leading the way . . ." When the standings showed that SLU is 8-3-1 (or something like that) and Harvard was sitting in third at 7-0! A little perspective, please!

And if you are wondering why it is so hard to get ECAC hockey on the air, I say to you "This Week in ECAC Hockey, brought to you by ECAC Hockey." That is a show that can't sell ads.

That said, they showed some great Cornell-Colgate clips right before the credits, and I would rather have a bad ECAC hockey show than none at all.

Re:
Posted by: rhovorka (---)
Date: February 07, 2003 02:22AM

OK little show.

The first 5 minutes was spent reminding us of the ending of last year's ECAC Tournament :-( and they also went over the preseason rankings before showing the current standings and recapping last week's games. Highlights from most games were good, including some from both Starr and Lynah. A short interview with Chris Higgins about his WJC experience and draft was followed by an identical rundown of the women's league as the men, but abbreviated.

While doing the obligatory pimping for the TV contract and postseason tickets in Albany and Meehan, they showed a good amount of Cornell highlights, in what looked to be the semi vs. RPI last year.

I had a problem with the sound. It sounded like the host was talking under a waterfall, but I have a feeling that this was more of a problem with my cable service. Anyone else experience this problem?

A lack of sponsors is obvious as I think that commercial for naso.org aired about 6 times. "Officiating isn't for everyone, but it might be for you." Also, it was funny to hear "'This Week In ECAC Hockey' is brought to you by ECAC Hockey."

But I'm glad we have this, even if it is for only 4 weeks. It'll be nice to actually see highlights from around the league as we return to a full slate of games. I remember "This Week in the CCHA" which aired around 1997, and being jealous. "College Hockey USA" on the old Prime Network around the same time was a great thing to have, even if I felt it put a CCHA slant on things.

They're also marketing the web address "ecachockey.org" now instead of "hockey.ecac.org" or whatever it is.

Re:
Posted by: kingpin248 (---)
Date: February 07, 2003 09:37AM

At least the web address isn't "spfldcol.edu" followed by a bunch of unintelligible garbage. :-)

Date: February 07, 2003 10:53AM

I knew you were referring to Cornell heritage which is why I changed my subject to "Way OT".:-) I was just curious when Marty mentioned Armenia because I think outside of my own family I haven't randomly encountered too many: One guy in high school and Prof. Terzian's daughter in my class at Cornell.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---)
Date: February 07, 2003 12:16PM

Huh. I had one passing acquaintance and one good friend at Cornell who were both Armenian on their fathers' sides. And my impression is that California has a pretty significant Armenian population.

Re:
Posted by: Greg Berge (---)
Date: February 07, 2003 02:38PM

My 10th grade European History teacher was Armenian. His name was Ohannessian. He also had a wandering eye, and he'd be looking at the opposite side of the room when he'd say "The Holy Roman Empire was neither holy nor Roman nor an empire. Comments? Berge!?"

Freaked me out.

Re:
Posted by: Josh '99 (207.10.33.---)
Date: February 07, 2003 03:03PM

Greg wrote:

My 10th grade European History teacher was Armenian. His name was Ohannessian. He also had a wandering eye, and he'd be looking at the opposite side of the room when he'd say "The Holy Roman Empire was neither holy nor Roman nor an empire. Comments? Berge!?"

Freaked me out.
That wasn't your 10th grade European History teacher, that was Linda Richman from Coffee Talk. :-P

Re:
Posted by: ugarte (63.94.240.---)
Date: February 07, 2003 03:29PM

I usually don't mind thread drift, and am usually the problem, not the complainer, but still. . .

How did this thread go from the new show about ECAC hockey (which I would have expected people here to be excited about) to "Hey, I know an Armenian also!"

Re: (off-topic continued)
Posted by: crodger1 (---)
Date: February 07, 2003 03:32PM

And all that without any indicator in the post title that it is all off topic. It's just Re:

I thought maybe it was a continuation of the tax issue (the last set of posts that started to do that).

Re:The Holy Roman Empire was neither holy nor Roman nor an empire. Comments?
Posted by: Adam '04 (---)
Date: February 07, 2003 05:36PM

Yeah. What he said. nut

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login