Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

The Gentrification of North Dakota

Posted by TimV 
The Gentrification of North Dakota
Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: November 12, 2009 06:34PM

First Michigan imitates us.Then RIT and Union (more or less). Now this.wank

Englestad Arena Fan Behavior "Initiative"

Re: The Gentrification of North Dakota
Posted by: imafrshmn (129.49.7.---)
Date: November 12, 2009 07:02PM

I actually agree with a lot of this "positive support" stuff. Why should a college student be subjected to unwarranted verbal abuse when they're playing hockey? Cynicism aside. why should participants in college athletics be held up to the same "win at all costs" expectations that professional athletes deal with? Why is it okay for fans to behave one way at a [men's] college hockey/basketball/football game and completely out of bounds at women's college athletics or while watching college tennis, golf, rowing, etc.? Do the hockey players that come through Lynah take the heckling personally? I would think not, but that still doesn't make it right.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 12, 2009 07:16PM

Overall I agree, but this has a wide range of interpretation.

We will cheer for the Sioux, not against our opponents.
uhoh

Big Ten Conf. Talks
Date: November 12, 2009 07:42PM

While surfing the hockey forum at siouxsports I found this reference to talks on a Big Ten Conf this past summer. I know this has been discussed before, but this seems like the closest yet. Not that it's going to happen.

Re: Big Ten Conf. Talks
Posted by: Lauren '06 (128.189.85.---)
Date: November 12, 2009 07:44PM

The Ralph Engelstad Arena's Guest Help Line allows fans to text or call the Ralph Engelstad Arena Guest Services department during a game to report the location of inappropriate behavior.
Hey guy in section 202, that guy in section 204 called...

Date: November 12, 2009 07:58PM

Also from the ND Forum a couple of interesting quotes. First after the USA Today Poll came out on Oct.12

In 6 weeks Cornell still will not have played a game and they will be #1 in the country. F'ing eastern bias...
Then on Oct. 24

Cornell lost an exhibition to the USNTP tonight, 3-2!!! I know it doesn't count, but they were typically rated ahead of UND in the preseason polls.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: November 12, 2009 08:00PM

imafrshmn
Why is it okay for fans to behave one way at a [men's] college hockey/basketball/football game and completely out of bounds at women's college athletics or while watching college tennis, golf, rowing, etc.?
Maybe because hardly anyone gives a crap about women's college athletics or college tennis, golf, rowing, etc.?

Besides, tennis and golf have lame rules about spectators at the pro level too. Oh no, we mustn't say something that might distract the million dollar athlete!

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: November 13, 2009 08:17AM

They make an announcement at every Flyers game about abusive language and profanity being grounds for ejection, loss of season tickets,etc. But it's never enforced. Eventually, out comes the "asshole" chant directed at an opposing player or fan, or the ref. And how do you throw out 19,000+ fans?

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 13, 2009 09:10AM

Jim Hyla
Also from the ND Forum a couple of interesting quotes. First after the USA Today Poll came out on Oct.12

In 6 weeks Cornell still will not have played a game and they will be #1 in the country. F'ing eastern bias...
Then on Oct. 24

Cornell lost an exhibition to the USNTP tonight, 3-2!!! I know it doesn't count, but they were typically rated ahead of UND in the preseason polls.
Ah yes, Eastern Bias whining. What a classic. Let's hope we stomp them at Lynah and then maybe it'll quiet down for a while.

Posted by: Dpperk29 (128.153.223.---)
Date: November 13, 2009 09:28AM

Jeff Hopkins '82
They make an announcement at every Flyers game about abusive language and profanity being grounds for ejection, loss of season tickets,etc. But it's never enforced. Eventually, out comes the "asshole" chant directed at an opposing player or fan, or the ref. And how do you throw out 19,000+ fans?

Pull the fire alarm?

Scream Bomb?

Disclaimer: These are jokes, I am not suggesting they actually do it, people would get trampled in the stampede...

Posted by: ugarte (---.z75-46-65.customer.algx.net)
Date: November 13, 2009 03:56PM

Dpperk29
Jeff Hopkins '82

Pull the fire alarm?

Scream Bomb?

Disclaimer: These are jokes, I am not suggesting they actually do it, people would get trampled in the stampede...
Which is why I am suggesting that they do it.

Posted by: ninian '72 (---.ed.gov)
Date: November 13, 2009 04:18PM

And if we do, UND will attribute it to the hostile environment...

Posted by: jdonofrio (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: November 13, 2009 05:48PM

This political correctness crap seems to have spread widely over college sports this year.
[sports.espn.go.com]

This was on ESPN, it mentions that Georgia got a $236,000 grant to put in a surveillance system to watch fans and that 3 dozen schools added a texting system to ask for help like North Dakota did.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 13, 2009 10:10PM

jdonofrio
This political correctness crap seems to have spread widely over college sports this year.
[sports.espn.go.com]
Whatever this is, it isn't "political correctness." And don't get me started on what a bullshit controversy political correctness itself was.

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: November 13, 2009 10:15PM

ugarte
jdonofrio
[sports.espn.go.com]
Whatever this is, it isn't "political correctness." And don't get me started on what a bullshit controversy political correctness itself was.
If anything this is more like trying to "restore" some sort of conservative ideal where everyone is polite and supportive and no one does anything antisocial like swearing in public.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: November 13, 2009 10:41PM

ugarte
jdonofrio
[sports.espn.go.com]

For about five minutes in 1990, "political correctness" was a club used by people on the left to stifle those who disagreed with them. For the last 20 years it's been a club used by people on the right to discount those who disagree with them.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2009 05:09PM by jtwcornell91.

Posted by: ben03 (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: November 14, 2009 04:52PM

TimV
First Michigan imitates us.Then RIT and Union (more or less). Now this.wank

Englestad Arena Fan Behavior "Initiative"

Yeah ... "Piss on old-time hockey!"

Opps, I mean ... Let's go Sioux worry

I'm not going to hold my breath their fans can do what their players seemingly cannot.

Posted by: jdonofrio (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: November 14, 2009 05:42PM

ugarte
jdonofrio
[sports.espn.go.com]

Well whatever you want to call it, it doesnt really matter. I dont have a good name for it but I think the movie Fight Club captures this trend perfectly.

Date: November 15, 2009 04:20AM

ninian '72
And if we do, UND will attribute it to the hostile environment...
Fine, let them. I have no problem with visiting teams using the hostile environment at Lynah as an excuse for losing there, they just sound like whiners if they do.

Date: November 15, 2009 04:22AM

ben03
I'm not going to hold my breath their fans can do what their players seemingly cannot.
Hold it until they get out of the elevator?

Posted by: ben03 (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: November 15, 2009 01:04PM

Josh '99
ben03
Hold it until they get out of the elevator?

hahaha ... i forgot about this.

Posted by: ugarte (---.z75-46-65.customer.algx.net)
Date: November 17, 2009 05:50PM

jtwcornell91
ugarte
jdonofrio
[sports.espn.go.com]

For about five minutes in 1990, "political correctness" was a club used by people on the left to stifle those who disagreed with them. For the last 20 years it's been a club used by people on the right to discount those who disagree with them.
That is pretty much a more tightly written version of what I was thinking. So now you know that the two of us agreeing again was the chill that just went up your spine.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: November 20, 2009 06:16PM

jtwcornell91
ugarte
jdonofrio
[sports.espn.go.com]

That's a pretty good line, whether it's original or you're recalling someone else. PC was annoying from the very first. I was happy with the first flashes of rage against PC's excesses (remember the Oberlin or Antioch rules of seduction where you asked permission for each base and each side of each layer of clothing?). Now, it's beating a long-vanquished and no longer potent foe. Sort of like railing at the seat belt interlocks of the (?) 1970s or early 1980s (?).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login