Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Visiting Yale/Brown

Posted by jputterman24 
Visiting Yale/Brown
Posted by: jputterman24 (---.putnaminv.com)
Date: November 09, 2009 09:35AM

Anyone have any recommendations for a bar to grab some food and drinks before the Yale and/or Brown games? Went to the Union Station Brewery in Providence last year, but it was pretty quiet...is there a standard place most alumni go?

Re: Visiting Yale/Brown
Posted by: HeafDog (206.208.181.---)
Date: November 09, 2009 12:35PM

Who's heading up from NYC? I have a car and could drive, if that's easier; after you factor in the train tickets and cab fares each way, it's probably cheaper (not to mention, more convenient) to car pool there. PM me if you're interested -- besides me, I have space for four in my car.

- edit -

Er, sorry, might make sense to mention that I was referring to the Friday night game, at Yale.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2009 12:42PM by HeafDog.

Re: Visiting Yale/Brown - Pepe's New Haven
Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: November 09, 2009 09:30PM

HeafDog
Who's heading up from NYC? I have a car and could drive, if that's easier; after you factor in the train tickets and cab fares each way, it's probably cheaper (not to mention, more convenient) to car pool there. PM me if you're interested -- besides me, I have space for four in my car.

- edit -

Er, sorry, might make sense to mention that I was referring to the Friday night game, at Yale.

Is beer and wine good enough? Because the pizza is awesome at Pepe's, 157 Wooster St. You'll see two dozen Cornellians there. If you go, arrive early, by 5 p.m., to make sure you get to the game on time. Arrive at 4:30, zero wait. Arrive at 5:30, it could be a half hour. The rink is a drive not a walk of about 5-7 minutes.

Posted by: munchkin (---.c3-0.sbo-ubr1.sbo.ma.cable.rcn.com)
Date: November 09, 2009 10:31PM

Does anyone know if the Cornell Club of RI/Providence has something before the Brown game?

Posted by: jputterman24 (---.putnaminv.com)
Date: November 10, 2009 10:22AM

This was just forwarded to me:

The Cornell Club of Rhode Island and Bristol County, MA
cordially invites you to
the following fall and winter events.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Cornell vs. Brown Hockey Game

Reception with snacks and soft drinks at

Paragon
234 Thayer Street, Providence

Saturday, November 14th, 2009

5:00 p.m. -7:00 p.m.

Hockey Game at 7:00 p.m.

$10 for reception ($15 for reception and hockey ticket)

Please RSVP by November 12th to:
cornellclubri@gmail.com

sdelorescarter2@aol.com
Please bring payment to the reception.

Please call Dianne Newman at (401) 861-3474 with questions.

Posted by: sockralex (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: November 10, 2009 06:04PM

Word is that it’s restaurant week in New Haven, so folks may want to plan accordingly. I am not sure what the level of popularity for it is though…[infonewhaven.com]

By the way, Pepe’s is great stuff so I’ll try to go if I get out of work early.

Posted by: dbilmes (---.adsl.snet.net)
Date: November 10, 2009 09:20PM

billhoward

Is beer and wine good enough? Because the pizza is awesome at Pepe's, 157 Wooster St. You'll see two dozen Cornellians there. If you go, arrive early, by 5 p.m., to make sure you get to the game on time. Arrive at 4:30, zero wait. Arrive at 5:30, it could be a half hour. The rink is a drive not a walk of about 5-7 minutes.

The pizza at Modern is even better, and there will be a decent Cornell contingent there, too. And it's even closer to the rink than Pepe's!

Posted by: redhair34 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 10, 2009 09:24PM

dbilmes
billhoward

The pizza at Modern is even better, and there will be a decent Cornell contingent there, too. And it's even closer to the rink than Pepe's!

I'd also suggest geting to Modern relatively early.

Posted by: nr53 (---.cisco.com)
Date: November 10, 2009 09:41PM

Do they still have tickets available? I realized that I'm going to be on the east coast this weekend and I'm taking Friday off so that would be a good time to take in a game.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: November 10, 2009 09:52PM

If "they" means Yale: Cornell had Yale tickets available Monday afternoon; they've gone back to Yale today. Last year's Yale game was a real sellout, not just the ticket office saying it's a sellout and then you buy standing room tickets at the door. Which translated last year to we had to get to the game 45 minutes early and it took us 15 minutes in the rain to find two tickets, one sold at face value, one given to my son because he was wearing a Cornell jersey. I'm thinking the Yalies might not realize their team is good, so SRO tickets might be available, and if not, get there early, and you should be okay. Someone will be shut out. Just not you.

Brown tickets should not be a problem.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: November 11, 2009 08:26AM

From the Yale Daily News.

The excitement toward “The Game” has captured the attention of many at Yale. But in and around Ingalls Rink, the Crimson pale in comparison to the Big Red.
Short article but interesting.

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: November 11, 2009 09:56PM

Jim Hyla

The excitement toward “The Game” has captured the attention of many at Yale. But in and around Ingalls Rink, the Crimson pale in comparison to the Big Red.
I don't understand this quote:

After an opening-game 5–2 win over Princeton on Oct. 31, the Elis lost their ECAC opener to RPI by the same score last Friday, only to muster a late-game tie with Union on the following night.

Posted by: ebilmes (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: November 11, 2009 09:57PM

David Harding
Jim Hyla

After an opening-game 5–2 win over Princeton on Oct. 31, the Elis lost their ECAC opener to RPI by the same score last Friday, only to muster a late-game tie with Union on the following night.

The Yale-Princeton game was technically non-conference, I believe.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: November 11, 2009 10:26PM

ebilmes
David Harding
Jim Hyla

It was non-conference. There was at least one other non-ECACH-conference game involving two Ivies.

Posted by: nyc94 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: November 11, 2009 11:31PM

Al DeFlorio
ebilmes
David Harding
Jim Hyla

It was non-conference. There was at least one other non-ECACH-conference game involving two Ivies.

Brown played Princeton the same weekend in something called the Showdown at Princeton. Ontario IT was the fourth team involved. Brown and Yale played Ontario in exhibition games. Harvard and Dartmouth played a conference game to start the season and will play a non-conference game at Harvard on November 29. I think I read somewhere that Dartmouth had an open date because BC backed out of a game.

Posted by: RichH (67.151.79.---)
Date: November 12, 2009 12:28AM

ebilmes
David Harding
Jim Hyla

Yeah, and that's actually a beef I have. WHAT GIVES with all these ECACHLMNOP teams scheduling "non-conference" games with other conference members?? OK, for Clarkson-SLU in Ottawa several years ago, I get it...but COME ON. You can't find anybody else to play your extremely limited non-conference games with? REALLY??! I'm sorry, but that sucks.

Posted by: Dpperk29 (---.townhouse.clarkson.edu)
Date: November 12, 2009 08:51AM

RichH
ebilmes
David Harding
Jim Hyla

Yeah, and that's actually a beef I have. WHAT GIVES with all these ECACHLMNOP teams scheduling "non-conference" games with other conference members?? OK, for Clarkson-SLU in Ottawa several years ago, I get it...but COME ON. You can't find anybody else to play your extremely limited non-conference games with? REALLY??! I'm sorry, but that sucks.

Clarkson and SLU have been doing it the last couple years. I am not a huge fan of it because I think it dilutes the rivalry over time.

My guess would be that it has to do with money and quality of opponents. Clarkson knows that the building will be packed for a SLU game simply because it is SLU. If Clarkson brings in a lower tier team (say Bentley or Robert Morris) there might be 1,000 fewer people in the building and the game on the ice is probably going to be less.

I can't imagine how hard it is to get a top flight team to come to Potsdam for a game...

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: November 12, 2009 09:57AM

The North Country pairing is an exception -- every time those guys meet it's basically a Frozen Bean Pot. If the Ivies ever went to 32, we might see a third Cornell-Harvard game every year for the same reason. But nobody else ought to be doing it -- it helps nobody. It probably speak more to the lack of draw that ECAC teams have at WCHA and CCHA sites more than anything else. With one of the two mid-majors disappearing next year, it may become even more prevalent.

Posted by: Dpperk29 (---.townhouse.clarkson.edu)
Date: November 12, 2009 10:21AM

Trotsky
The North Country pairing is an exception -- every time those guys meet it's basically a Frozen Bean Pot.

Hey, it doesn;t freeze until mid-November up here...

I wore shorts and short sleeves to the CCT-SLU game this year...

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: November 12, 2009 12:24PM

Agreed. But there just aren't that many non-conference games to go around; I think ECAC teams still play more non-conference games than anyone else. When you have to schedule 7 or 10 games every year it can be hard to find matches if your team isn't a big draw.

A perfect example is Michigan Tech. Jamie Russell took the head coaching job there and at first I thought for sure that we'd end up playing MTU in the near future because of the relationship. But look at their schedule. They have six non-conference games: two in the GLI, two against long UP rival Northern Michigan and then two other games that are typically in October. So much for that idea. (MTU has been bad enough that I'm not really upset by this but still.)

Posted by: redhair34 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 12, 2009 05:29PM

Only SRO tickets are left at Ingalls.

Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: November 12, 2009 06:16PM

RichH

Possibly playing other Ivies is an attempt at playing an opponent that DOESN'T have the advantage of a few weeks of extra practice and several games. While the games don't count in the league, they still contribute to RPI/Krach, right?

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 12, 2009 07:11PM

TimV
RichH

Possibly playing other Ivies is an attempt at playing an opponent that DOESN'T have the advantage of a few weeks of extra practice and several games. While the games don't count in the league, they still contribute to RPI/Krach, right?
For early in the season games this is the best reason I've heard.B-]Didn't we used to have an emoticon with a light bulb?

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: November 12, 2009 08:13PM

Jim Hyla
TimV
RichH

For early in the season games this is the best reason I've heard.B-]Didn't we used to have an emoticon with a light bulb?
This is why for many seasons Ivy football teams opened their season against another Ivy. From 1976 through 1996 Cornell opened, with one or two exceptions, with Princeton or Penn.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: November 13, 2009 10:48AM

TimV
I honestly don't think any program in the ECAC other than Cornell and possibly Harvard (which is always set with its Boston area games) would think to factor PWR into their scheduling.

Posted by: Robin (76.119.237.---)
Date: November 14, 2009 11:35AM

Anyone going to the pre-game reception in Providence?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login