Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Harvard at Cornell postgame

Posted by billhoward 
Harvard at Cornell postgame
Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: November 07, 2009 09:17PM

Long time since a Cornell team has shown the ability to come back from a deficit in a game that mattered and win - convincingly. A power play that's dangerous. Wish this team was on the ice against Bemidji State last spring.

Re: Harvard at Cornell postgame
Posted by: sah67 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 07, 2009 09:18PM

Seven points for the Devin brothers tonight.

Posted by: Ronald '09 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 07, 2009 09:19PM

billhoward
Long time since a Cornell team has shown the ability to come back from a deficit in a game that mattered and win - convincingly. A power play that's dangerous. Wish this team was on the ice against Bemidji State last spring.

I guess you consider the Princeton game in the ECAC semis a long time ago? We were down two almost a period later than tonight. Weren't we down a goal in the first round NCAA game too?

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 07, 2009 09:19PM

billhoward
ROAR!

(I have to be much more brief if I am to summarize your comparatively-short posts nowadays. ;-) )

Date: November 07, 2009 09:40PM

Ronald '09
billhoward

I guess you consider the Princeton game in the ECAC semis a long time ago? We were down two almost a period later than tonight. Weren't we down a goal in the first round NCAA game too?
Cornell played a sensational final 25 minutes vs. the Cantabs with few mistakes. Being down really late and getting a couple quick goals in the ECAC semis says luck as much as skill. (And it was awesome to sit right behind the Princeton goal and see the puck go in twice in 3 minutes. I got as hoarse as Jason.) Same goes for BU in the NCAA title game (2 goals last minute of play): They were lucky on top of good. Plus everybody knows hockey isn't Princeton's sport. It's basketball and lacrosse.

Posted by: Give My Regards (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 07, 2009 09:48PM

An eleven-goal weekend -- not bad. The last time the Big Red pulled that off was December 3rd and 4th, 2004, against Princeton (6) and Yale (5).

(Well, OK, they had a 12-goal weekend against Dartmouth in the first round of the 2008 playoffs, but that was over three games)

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: November 07, 2009 09:51PM

sah67
According to the ECAC site, the brothers lead the ECAC with +4 +/-.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 07, 2009 10:03PM

Some random thoughts as I bask in the glow :-D

I don't think it's a coincidence that the game began to turn when we started putting on some clean and devastating hits late in the second. By the third they were demoralized.

Mike Devin's PP goal was so huge, and changed the complexion of the game. We hadn't gotten any real good breaks until that point, and it really snowballed from there.

R. Nash, Gallagher and Greening have lifted their games to new heights this year -- even more than I could have expected. And, Joe Devin continues to impress with not only his grit, but some real skill. He's a lot better than I ever expected he would be.

This is the most depth for a Cornell team in my memory (which goes back a long time). A high-quality defenseman will be sitting every game, but it will certainly be handy when the inevitable injuries come our way.

This year's Freshman group is the deepest in many a year.

Harvard may have some highly skilled players, but they are small on the blueline and can be dominated in their own end. That's not to say they won't be heard from before all is said and done.

Ultimately I think we'll go as far as Scrivens will take us. If he plays within himself and doesn't try to handle the puck too much :-O I think we have a shot to go a long way.

I sure can't wait for MSG (of course we have to have some business to attend to before then). It's early for sure, but there's a lot to be excited about.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2009 10:04PM by scoop85.

Posted by: Cop at Lynah (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 07, 2009 10:13PM

We can only hope Schafer sits B. Nash for a game or two. That penalty after the horn at the end of the second was just BS on his part and those kind of things hurt the team.

Krueger and Ross were absolutely brutal as a tandem, some ill advised pinching and lack of foot speed to get back in the play.

Offense is very dynamic. Riley Nash was a man among boys out there tonight.

Harvard will be scary good. The are very fast and skilled. They just have no size and seem they only play for 2 periods. Crowd really seemed to get to their goalie after the first two goals of the third.

Very good weekend for the Red. Now lets see them take the same game on the road.

Posted by: ithacat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 07, 2009 10:19PM

sah67

Plus one for Whitney...an 8 point game for the Mass pack. drunk

Date: November 07, 2009 10:24PM

ithacat
sah67

Plus one for Whitney...an 8 point game for the Mass pack. drunk

I meant to add on my previous post that Whitney adds a ton of skill to the PP from the blueline. While he might get burned on a turnover in the neutral zone from time-to-time, his improvement is remarkable. He has the potential to be a real good one before he's through at Lynah.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 07, 2009 10:59PM

Cop at Lynah
We can only hope Schafer sits B. Nash for a game or two. That penalty after the horn at the end of the second was just BS on his part and those kind of things hurt the team.

Riley Nash was a man among boys out there tonight.
I figured someone would complain about that penalty. I wonder why no one complained about Riley's dumb penalty last night? We all do dumb things, but looking at the total play is useful. Coach puts him out when it matters.

Harvard will be scary good. The are very fast and skilled. They just have no size and seem they only play for 2 periods.
Harvard this year looks like many Donato teams. Scary good, that is a lot of talent, but can't put it together, that is poorly coached.

Date: November 07, 2009 11:22PM

Give My Regards
An eleven-goal weekend

Last year's opening weekend: 1 goal.

Posted by: JasonN95 (---.sub-75-195-118.myvzw.com)
Date: November 07, 2009 11:27PM

Cop at Lynah

I'll have to watch the video to see if confirms what I saw live, but I had a good angle from high in Section H of the play and I don't think Nash's penalty was justified. It was called a cross check yet he had one hand on his stick and it was *in front* of the Harvard player. The blade then got pinned against the boards and the Harvard player tripped over it. Perhaps Nash should have let go of his stick, but that's not a natural instinct. (Of course, I'll end up watching the video tomorrow and realize my eyes played a trick on me.)

For a dumb penalty, Nicholls(?) picking up and throwing the puck takes the cake.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2009 11:28PM by JasonN95.

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 07, 2009 11:29PM

Trotsky
Give My Regards
An eleven-goal weekend

And three points. So eleven goals and four points is better, yes?

Posted by: margolism (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 08, 2009 12:19AM

After 3 games, Cornell ranked #1 in the country in OFFENSE. (6th in defense.) Also #1 on the power play.

A different team than last year.

Date: November 08, 2009 12:20AM

andyw2100
Trotsky
Give My Regards
An eleven-goal weekend

On balance. ;-)

The +7 goal margin is the best in the last 44 ECAC RS weekends with different opponents, stretching back to February 2005. The 11 goal weekend hasn't been exceeded in the last 60 weekends.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2009 12:58AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: TimV (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: November 08, 2009 12:28AM

It took us SIX regular season games to score our first eleven goals last year. I like this better.banana

Posted by: French Rage (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: November 08, 2009 12:41AM

Trotsky
andyw2100
Trotsky
Give My Regards
An eleven-goal weekend

On balance. ;-)

The +7 goal margin is the best in the last 44 ECAC RS weekends with different opponents, stretching back to February 2005.

Wow we've had some rough North Country trips in recent years.

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Date: November 08, 2009 12:43AM

With Miami sweeping Michigan, Cornell should move up to at least #4. Maybe we'll get the mystery first place vote that's been floating about.

Date: November 08, 2009 05:24AM

Trotsky
andyw2100
Trotsky
Give My Regards
An eleven-goal weekend

On balance. ;-)

The +7 goal margin is the best in the last 44 ECAC RS weekends with different opponents, stretching back to February 2005. The 11 goal weekend hasn't been exceeded in the last 60 weekends.
I love your stats. Thanks.

Posted by: MB (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: November 08, 2009 06:11AM

We played well in the third period. I like that we ended the game 6-3, but I'm not too hot on us having to rally back from 1-3.

That said, some exciting hockey. This is probably one of the best teams we've fielded in years and the freshman are playing fairly well. Our power play is looking pretty good, the PK not too bad, and Scrivens seems to have anchored himself near the net (and hasn't taken anyone down... yet). It's still early in the season, but it looks like our guys are starting to click and things are happening. I hope we can keep this up throughout the season.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: November 08, 2009 07:31AM

Trotsky
With Miami sweeping Michigan, Cornell should move up to at least #4. Maybe we'll get the mystery first place vote that's been floating about.

Yale sure won't get that vote. I saw them on Friday and then watched the "tape" of the Saturday game. They look like they need to shake off the early season Ivy cobwebs.

Posted by: TimV (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: November 08, 2009 08:28AM

marty
Yale sure won't get that vote. I saw them on Friday and then watched the "tape" of the Saturday game. They look like they need to shake off the early season Ivy cobwebs.

Really do hope they don't get well against us.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: November 08, 2009 08:57AM

MB
... Our power play is looking pretty good, the PK not too bad, ...

margolism
After 3 games, Cornell ranked #1 in the country in OFFENSE. (6th in defense.) Also #1 on the power play.

#1 is "pretty good," I'd say. cheer

Margolism, where did you get your stats? Can we find out how we rank in the PK?

Date: November 08, 2009 08:58AM

TimV
marty

Speaking of Yale, and in the eLynah tradition of thread-drift, the Yale game will be available for $6.95 through All-Access.
[secure.stretchinternet.com]

Posted by: pfibiger (---.sip.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 08, 2009 09:18AM

Swampy

[collegehockeystats.net]

#10 on the PK. Which results in #1 in combined special teams.

Date: November 08, 2009 09:19AM

andyw2100
TimV
marty

Speaking of Yale, and in the eLynah tradition of thread-drift, the Yale game will be available for $6.95 through All-Access.
[secure.stretchinternet.com]
Thanks, you can never be too ready.

Date: November 08, 2009 09:41AM

I know this has been discussed in past years, but I really think it's time to quit the fish. In my view it doesn't add much and I think if it wasn't for Nash's penalty to start the third period, we'd have gotten a delay of game for the fish thrown. I really feel the refs didn't want to put us two men down at that time. That's interesting isn't it, Nash preventing a crowd penalty. He can do all sorts on good things. :-DThe refs had already made the announcement and there were fish at the beginning of the second as well. Certainly we've gotten penalties in that situation before. They went to talk to Schafer at the beginning of the third, likely discussing it.

As an aside, the goal highlights are up on the ECAC site.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 08, 2009 10:35AM

Ronald '09
billhoward

Shhhh, don't you know Bill likes making broad, sweeping, unsupported pronouncements?

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 08, 2009 10:40AM

Jim Hyla
Thanks for the heads-up, I didn't know they had video highlights.

Date: November 08, 2009 11:02AM

Jim Hyla
I know this has been discussed in past years, but I really think it's time to quit the fish. In my view it doesn't add much and I think if it wasn't for Nash's penalty to start the third period, we'd have gotten a delay of game for the fish thrown. I really feel the refs didn't want to put us two men down at that time. That's interesting isn't it, Nash preventing a crowd penalty. He can do all sorts on good things. :-DThe refs had already made the announcement and there were fish at the beginning of the second as well. Certainly we've gotten penalties in that situation before.

Jim is certainly one of the regulars here who I have a great deal of respect for, and with whom I usually agree. But I've got to say I disagree on the fish. To me, fish at the Harvard game --is-- Cornell hockey. I mean what's Cornell hockey without tradition? Fish at the Harvard game is one of the great Cornell hockey traditions, at least in my opinion.

That being said, it is absolutely insane for anyone to throw fish at any time other than when Harvard comes out to start the game. Anyone throwing fish before the beginning of the second or third period is not a Cornell hockey fan, and has no business setting foot in Lynah rink. I agree that we easily could have been penalized to start the period. One of the officials was actually scraping fish with his skate, to try to clean things up. And on that note, why in the world did the rink staff person that came out to clean up the fish not bring a shovel? I recognize that the rink staff have a hard, pretty much thankless job to do, but not bringing a shovel was just plain dumb. I saw him coming without a shovel, and thought, "OK, someone is coming with a shovel right behind him", but that person never materialized.

We definitely dodged a bullet there, though. We easily could have started the period two men down, and who knows how that could have affected the outcome of the game.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2009 11:08AM by andyw2100.

Date: November 08, 2009 11:21AM

andyw2100
Jim Hyla
I know this has been discussed in past years, but I really think it's time to quit the fish. In my view it doesn't add much and I think if it wasn't for Nash's penalty to start the third period, we'd have gotten a delay of game for the fish thrown. I really feel the refs didn't want to put us two men down at that time. That's interesting isn't it, Nash preventing a crowd penalty. He can do all sorts on good things. :-DThe refs had already made the announcement and there were fish at the beginning of the second as well. Certainly we've gotten penalties in that situation before.

Jim is certainly one of the regulars here who I have a great deal of respect for, and with whom I usually agree. But I've got to say I disagree on the fish. To me, fish at the Harvard game --is-- Cornell hockey. I mean what's Cornell hockey without tradition? Fish at the Harvard game is one of the great Cornell hockey traditions, at least in my opinion.

That being said, it is absolutely insane for anyone to throw fish at any time other than when Harvard comes out to start the game. Anyone throwing fish before the beginning of the second or third period is not a Cornell hockey fan, and has no business setting foot in Lynah rink. I agree that we easily could have been penalized to start the period. One of the officials was actually scraping fish with his skate, to try to clean things up. And on that note, why in the world did the rink staff person that came out to clean up the fish not bring a shovel? I recognize that the rink staff have a hard, pretty much thankless job to do, but not bringing a shovel was just plain dumb. I saw him coming without a shovel, and thought, "OK, someone is coming with a shovel right behind him", but that person never materialized.

We definitely dodged a bullet there, though. We easily could have started the period two men down, and who knows how that could have affected the outcome of the game.
I'm actually OK with fish at the beginning, however I don't know how you stop the others. There will always be the nitwits, what do you do to stop them. If you can't stop the fish from getting in you can't stop the throwing. Maybe it will take a lost game to smarten them up, but I doubt that would even do it.

My main point is that if you allow fish, there will always be jerks who don't care about the team, but just themselves. If we said no fish, maybe over time things would change. I'm old enough, you can say that again, to remember that I had just as much fun, maybe more (see my signature), before there were fish. Winning hockey is what's fun. I'm not saying the incidentals don't add to the fun. After all I do wear a jersey to away games and I do bring Snickers to the band and throw them at away games, but I stop having fun when it detracts from the team and the game. Come up with a way to stop the throwing after the beginning and I'm with you.

Date: November 08, 2009 11:42AM

Jim Hyla
Come up with a way to stop the throwing after the beginning and I'm with you.

I'm sure this isn't going to happen any time soon, and I'm not sure it would even be a good idea, but perhaps if the administration's attitude towards fish-throwing eased up some there would be less of an issue with inappropriate fish flinging. In the mid 80s, when I was a student, I don't recall there being a strong "no fish" sentiment from the administration. I don't remember if they said "no fish", and just did nothing to enforce the policy, or if they simply looked the other way without officially saying anything, but there were a heck of a lot more fish being thrown then than now, and I don't recall anyone being thrown out of the game because of it. For what it's worth, I also don't recall any fish being thrown at any time other than before the first period.

The rogue fish throwers now might be doing it to show their friends how "cool" they can be, defying the authority that tells them they can't throw fish. Take away that "defying authority" aspect of it, and maybe they stop. Or maybe not. I don't know.

Perhaps my strong preference for the fish springs from the following:

As a freshman, I had never been to a hockey game of any kind. I did not buy season tickets my freshman year. I had heard about Cornell hockey, and how it was the thing to do, but had not experienced it myself. That is until I managed to scrounge up a ticket to the Harvard game. Needless to say, I had season tickets my next three years at Cornell, and have had them every year since moving back to Ithaca in 1990. But if I had not heard about the spectacle of the Harvard game and the fish, who knows if I would ever have attended that first game. And while this may sound almost ridiculous, my life would not be as rich without Cornell hockey in it. Some of the best memories of my life involve Cornell hockey, my ex-wife, and my kids. Sure, there'd be (and there are) other memories, but I really cherish these.

Perhaps someone went to their first Cornell hockey game last night, partially because they wanted to see this fish thing they had heard about, and will be posting a message similar to this one on eLynah in 30 years or so. This is why I feel so strongly about the fish.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: November 08, 2009 12:10PM

Josh '99
Jim Hyla
Thanks for the heads-up, I didn't know they had video highlights.

It's a make up move to prove that they really care about the fans in spite of moving the tourney to sunny Atlantic City.smashfreak

Posted by: margolism (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 08, 2009 03:39PM

Swampy
MB
... Our power play is looking pretty good, the PK not too bad, ...

margolism

[www.uscho.com]

Scroll down for team stats (includes offense, defense, pp, pk)

Posted by: ebilmes (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: November 08, 2009 05:42PM

Cornell is 6x10 on the PP in two ECAC games.

I agree that Cornell probably would have been assessed a penalty for the fish if BNash hadn't already been in the box. What helped us was probably that the refs didn't issue a formal warning (at least one that was announced) until the 3rd period. If that warning had been issued in the 2nd, they would have had to issue another penalty in the 3rd.

Harvard has a lot of talent, and for the first two periods they looked better than us. Leblanc has tremendous talent and you saw that with the first goal.

We have to stop missing open nets. It's one thing when we're up 5-1 on Dartmouth and Riley misses an open net. But when it's 0-0 or 1-2 against Harvard and we're missing open nets, those can be the difference-makers in games. Nicholls missed a wide open net on a 2x1, which shouldn't be too surprising. But then Riley missed another open net a couple of shifts after that. We ended up finding plenty of offense in the end, but at the time those seemed like huge missed opportunities.

One area in which the team has really improved over last year is the breakout play. This is resulting in some more variety, too. Instead of every breakout play resulting in some variation of dump-and-chase, we're getting some good shots and more controlled possession of the puck in the offensive zone.

Scrivens was stellar last night. He made a couple of phenomenal point-blank saves to keep Harvard from pulling too far ahead. He did exactly what we need from him this year; when we're behind, we need him to make some big saves to give our offense some time to get going.

This was a great weekend, but I don't see us winning on Friday at Ingalls. Yale is arguably the best team in the conference, and they lost twice this weekend. They, and their fans, will be fired up for the first home ECAC weekend. Yale will look to exploit some of our weaknesses in the defensive end, and their forecheck was deadly last year.

Posted by: HockeyMan (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 08, 2009 05:55PM

ebilmes
Cornell is 6x10 on the PP in two ECAC games.

I agree that Cornell probably would have been assessed a penalty for the fish if BNash hadn't already been in the box. What helped us was probably that the refs didn't issue a formal warning (at least one that was announced) until the 3rd period. If that warning had been issued in the 2nd, they would have had to issue another penalty in the 3rd.

Harvard has a lot of talent, and for the first two periods they looked better than us. Leblanc has tremendous talent and you saw that with the first goal.

We have to stop missing open nets. It's one thing when we're up 5-1 on Dartmouth and Riley misses an open net. But when it's 0-0 or 1-2 against Harvard and we're missing open nets, those can be the difference-makers in games. Nicholls missed a wide open net on a 2x1, which shouldn't be too surprising. But then Riley missed another open net a couple of shifts after that. We ended up finding plenty of offense in the end, but at the time those seemed like huge missed opportunities.

One area in which the team has really improved over last year is the breakout play. This is resulting in some more variety, too. Instead of every breakout play resulting in some variation of dump-and-chase, we're getting some good shots and more controlled possession of the puck in the offensive zone.

Scrivens was stellar last night. He made a couple of phenomenal point-blank saves to keep Harvard from pulling too far ahead. He did exactly what we need from him this year; when we're behind, we need him to make some big saves to give our offense some time to get going.

This was a great weekend, but I don't see us winning on Friday at Ingalls. Yale is arguably the best team in the conference, and they lost twice this weekend. They, and their fans, will be fired up for the first home ECAC weekend. Yale will look to exploit some of our weaknesses in the defensive end, and their forecheck was deadly last year.

Several people have commented now that Harvard outplayed the Red early on, that Harvard looks deep in talent, that Harvard is really dangerous, etc. I beg to differ. I thought they were ordinary last night, from start to finish. The Red were stronger in the corners, better in the neutral zone, and had far more quality chances. The final score was about indicative of the play.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 08, 2009 06:27PM

HockeyMan
Several people have commented now that Harvard outplayed the Red early on, that Harvard looks deep in talent, that Harvard is really dangerous, etc. I beg to differ. I thought they were ordinary last night, from start to finish. The Red were stronger in the corners, better in the neutral zone, and had far more quality chances. The final score was about indicative of the play.
I agree. I saw one good line QB'ed by a natural goal scorer (Leblanc), along with lots of slow and sloppy D that will be eaten alive by a team with multiple scoring lines. Any team that learns to shut Leblanc down does not, to these eyes, face a particularly dangerous team. That said, it's early in the season: I will see them at least once more before this season is over, and perhaps my observations will change.

Posted by: marty (---.sub-75-195-134.myvzw.com)
Date: November 08, 2009 06:35PM

Yale actually tied Onion but not until there was only 6.3 seconds left in the third.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2009 07:31PM by marty.

Posted by: bernie (---.hlrn.qwest.net)
Date: November 08, 2009 06:58PM

i didn't see fish at the start of the third period but i did see what appeared to be a full blue gatorade bottle thrown from section b towards the visiting players when they came on the ice. i think that's what they were upset about. we were fortunate to not be penalized

Date: November 08, 2009 07:03PM

Kyle Rose
HockeyMan
I agree. I saw one good line QB'ed by a natural goal scorer (Leblanc), along with lots of slow and sloppy D that will be eaten alive by a team with multiple scoring lines. Any team that learns to shut Leblanc down does not, to these eyes, face a particularly dangerous team. That said, it's early in the season: I will see them at least once more before this season is over, and perhaps my observations will change.

Maybe it's just the contrast from Dartmouth the previous night, but Harvard looked pretty good to me. Sure, their defensemen are slow, but I thought they were slow in the style of some of our big guys from the previous few years, and not slow like the Niagara d-men who never seemed to be where they should be. And they were able to shut down our forwards pretty effectively through the first two periods, committing only one penalty during that time. It's not like our defensemen are perfect, either. How many times have guys blown right by Whitney this year? Nash has five minors through three games.

Harvard also relied heavily on high dumps. More than any college team I've seen, they were content to flick the puck high above our guys' heads, sometimes in the direction of one of their forwards, but also sometimes just into the corner for them to chase after. This enabled them to avoid having to carry the puck across the blue line, and gave speedy guys like Leblanc a chance to race against our defensemen to the corner.

Posted by: ithacat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 08, 2009 08:09PM

Jim Hyla
I know this has been discussed in past years, but I really think it's time to quit the fish. In my view it doesn't add much and I think if it wasn't for Nash's penalty to start the third period, we'd have gotten a delay of game for the fish thrown. I really feel the refs didn't want to put us two men down at that time. That's interesting isn't it, Nash preventing a crowd penalty. He can do all sorts on good things. :-DThe refs had already made the announcement and there were fish at the beginning of the second as well. Certainly we've gotten penalties in that situation before. They went to talk to Schafer at the beginning of the third, likely discussing it.

I can live with the first period fishing -- the staff does a decent job of cleaning up the surface. The second and third period fishing is plain stupid. I wish anyone witnessing such foolishness would turn the idiots over for expulsion. I commend the refs for being reasonable in this case. A 5x3 to begin the third might have led to a different outcome.

Personally, I think throwing newspapers and fish and toothpaste on the ice take away from how great the students can be. But, I'm just an old codger.

Date: November 08, 2009 08:11PM

One of the idiots who threw fish in the second period was two rows in front of me. I tapped him on the shoulder and yelled at him for a bit. Sometimes there's nothing you can do, aside from someone making an announcement specifically to the student sections before the game.

Date: November 08, 2009 10:00PM

Kyle Rose
HockeyMan

I'm usually a pretty tough critic regarding my teams, but I thought that overall Cornell outplayed Harvard by a fairly wide margin. The Red had a lot of puck control, and Harvard scored off of transition, but had relatively little sustained pressure. The past few times that we have beaten Harvard I had felt we were fortunate in doing so; last night's win was no fluke.

Date: November 09, 2009 06:50AM

Harvard looked very good early on. Playing in an unfriendly arena. When it was 3-1 Harvard I feared it could wind up somnething like 5-2. LeBlanc is good. I didn't see three-period Cornell dominance. But the sustained comeback was something memorable.

Posted by: jts15 (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: November 09, 2009 08:17AM

One of the idiots who threw fish in the second period was two rows in front of me. I tapped him on the shoulder and yelled at him for a bit. Sometimes there's nothing you can do, aside from someone making an announcement specifically to the student sections before the game.

This is likely the most realistic way to curb the 2nd and 3rd period fish throwing. It reminds me of when some idiot would start the "shutout" chant with 5 minutes left or break out their keys with a 1 goal lead. The rest of the students shut it down so to speak. If enough people let them know it's not acceptable to throw fish after the first time, they'll stop. Strength in numbers.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: November 09, 2009 08:29AM

ebilmes
Harvard also relied heavily on high dumps. More than any college team I've seen, they were content to flick the puck high above our guys' heads, sometimes in the direction of one of their forwards, but also sometimes just into the corner for them to chase after. This enabled them to avoid having to carry the puck across the blue line, and gave speedy guys like Leblanc a chance to race against our defensemen to the corner.

That has been a signature Crimson maneuver for as long as I can remember.

Posted by: CUDrew0105 (134.174.163.---)
Date: November 09, 2009 10:10AM

Just a few thoughts on the game now that I am back at a computer: After listening to the Colgate Harvard game while driving in to town on Friday (which by the way I got all the way from Cobleskill to Ithaca…and furthering the argument of why FM is better than AM, especially at night), I learned 2 things: (1) Harvard has fast, skilled forwards; (2) Their D is slow. I think that both of these facts were fairly evident on Saturday. Leblanc is fantastically skilled with fast skating and quick hands, but he is like most French-Canadian players in that they are easily pushed off the puck (granted I did think he played with more of an edge than I was expecting). He will fit in well on the Habs.

Cornell carried the better of the play for much of the game, but we just couldn’t capitalize on easy scoring chances. Harvard did skate well, especially in the first, but certainly with better goal tending it would have been closer to 1-0 or 2-1. I have given up on Scrivens ever learning how to get into the butterfly position quickly. A skilled shooter can pick his 5-hole every time.

I thought the best player on the ice was Greening. He had a determination that was unmatched and it is great to see how he has progressed through the program (read, stay in school for 4 years, it’s amazing what it can do for you.). The freshman looked good. Esposito and Birch were the best freshman on the ice, Miller also looked good (and finally a hockey player with my last name. Now I can get a Jersey with Miller on the back and not look like a complete tool). Axell, while tall, needs some weight room action as he was outmatched pretty much all night.

Looking forward to Brown on Saturday night.

Free Iggy!!!!

Posted by: peterg (---.bgdmlaw.com)
Date: November 09, 2009 10:49AM

scoop85
...last night's win was no fluke.
Nor did we flounder.**]

Posted by: Robb (---.76-83.cust.bluewin.ch)
Date: November 09, 2009 11:30AM

peterg
scoop85
Nor did we flounder.**]
Well, it was fish-n-fowl. Just throwing that out there for the halibut.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: November 09, 2009 12:16PM

Robb
peterg
scoop85
Nor did we flounder.**]

Well, for a change, we can skate.

Posted by: releck97 (170.158.3.---)
Date: November 09, 2009 12:31PM

Here we go, sinking to this level again. I'll take the bait...good teamwork out there on Saturday. In the third period, the players hit their chums for some pretty sweet goals...which on a large scale should prove to hook a higher ranking in this week's poles. help
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2009 02:30PM by releck97.

Posted by: munchkin (---.bu.edu)
Date: November 09, 2009 01:55PM

Following this weekend's games, and I'm thinking Harvard in particular, Cornell is now ranked #3 overall. Still hunting for that first place vote though.

Posted by: ithacat (128.253.194.---)
Date: November 09, 2009 02:11PM

Robb
peterg
scoop85
Nor did we flounder.**]

I was so happy when I got home my sweetie asked if she could get me anything and I said, ale wife...

Posted by: Robb (---.76-83.cust.bluewin.ch)
Date: November 09, 2009 02:19PM

releck97
Here we go, sinking to this level again. I'll take the bait...good teamwork out there on Saturday. In the third period, the players hit their chums for some pretty sweet goals...which on a large scale should prove to hook a higher ranking in this week's polls. help
Oooh - so close... When you're making fish jokes, it just really, really has to be spelled "poles." /USCHO

Posted by: releck97 (170.158.3.---)
Date: November 09, 2009 02:31PM

Robb
releck97
Here we go, sinking to this level again. I'll take the bait...good teamwork out there on Saturday. In the third period, the players hit their chums for some pretty sweet goals...which on a large scale should prove to hook a higher ranking in this week's polls. help
Oooh - so close... When you're making fish jokes, it just really, really has to be spelled "poles." /USCHO

Dang, I can't believe I missed such an obvious gem. Fixed now.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: November 09, 2009 03:12PM

jts15

This is likely the most realistic way to curb the 2nd and 3rd period fish throwing. It reminds me of when some idiot would start the "shutout" chant with 5 minutes left or break out their keys with a 1 goal lead. The rest of the students shut it down so to speak. If enough people let them know it's not acceptable to throw fish after the first time, they'll stop. Strength in numbers.

I'll jump in here for a moment and do my own old codger impression - why the hell was Section B chanting "Scoreboard" with eight minutes left?!

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Jordan 04 (155.72.24.---)
Date: November 09, 2009 04:43PM

Beeeej
jts15

I'll jump in here for a moment and do my own old codger impression - why the hell was Section B chanting "Scoreboard" with eight minutes left?!

I wasn't there, but I'm guessing because Section O was acting up and we chose to notify them that they were losing 5-3?

Posted by: Lauren '06 (128.189.85.---)
Date: November 09, 2009 04:46PM

Jordan 04
Beeeej
jts15

I wasn't there, but I'm guessing because Section O was acting up and we chose to notify them that they were losing 5-3?

The "eight minutes left" thing doesn't bother me with the scoreboard chant... the "Cornell spent a whole lot of time down 3-1" thing, well, a bit.

Date: November 09, 2009 04:58PM

Lauren '06
Jordan 04
Beeeej
jts15

The "eight minutes left" thing doesn't bother me with the scoreboard chant... the "Cornell spent a whole lot of time down 3-1" thing, well, a bit.

That's kind of my point, actually. We had just gotten done scoring four goals in the space of about ten minutes. Appearances of inferiority aside, Hahvahd could've done exactly the same thing to us. For me, you just don't tempt fate with a "scoreboard" chant at all - but if you must, I'd prefer the game be a hell of a lot more sewn up than it was at the time.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: November 09, 2009 05:13PM

Beeeej
That's kind of my point, actually. We had just gotten done scoring four goals in the space of about ten minutes. Appearances of inferiority aside, Hahvahd could've done exactly the same thing to us. For me, you just don't tempt fate with a "scoreboard" chant at all - but if you must, I'd prefer the game be a hell of a lot more sewn up than it was at the time.
You're being too paranoid when you say we should never chant "scoreboard". There are plenty of appropriate ocasions (example: a mid third period goal by Windsor would have certainly qualified). But I do agree regarding Saturday's game.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (155.72.24.---)
Date: November 09, 2009 05:13PM

Beeeej
Lauren '06
Jordan 04
Beeeej
jts15

Meh. That's why they chanted scoreboard up 5-3, not down 3-1. I don't understand the problem. I hate these nit-picky type arguments about what's "good" cheering and what's "bad" cheering, because we get so bogged down in meaningless details of who tempted what gods, and who did what right or wrong, when everyone just trying to have their own version of fun in the stands.

"Scoreboard" is merely to point out to opposing fans who are cheering, cheering against us,or otherwise acting pleased, that "Hey asshole, you're losing the game right now." It is different from keys, which say "You better go start the car, because the game is over." The latter is tempting the woofing gods*; the former is not.

*Hypothetical argument on my part, as I couldn't really care less if someone busts out their keys up a goal with 15 minutes left in the third period. They make look idiotic, and it may come back to bite them in the ass, but they paid the same price for their ticket as I paid for mine, so it's not my place to tell them they're cheering wrong.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2009 05:15PM by Jordan 04.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: November 09, 2009 05:27PM

Jordan 04
Beeeej
Lauren '06
Jordan 04
Beeeej
jts15

Meh. That's why they chanted scoreboard up 5-3, not down 3-1. I don't understand the problem. I hate these nit-picky type arguments about what's "good" cheering and what's "bad" cheering, because we get so bogged down in meaningless details of who tempted what gods, and who did what right or wrong, when everyone just trying to have their own version of fun in the stands.

"Scoreboard" is merely to point out to opposing fans who are cheering, cheering against us,or otherwise acting pleased, that "Hey asshole, you're losing the game right now." It is different from keys, which say "You better go start the car, because the game is over." The latter is tempting the woofing gods*; the former is not.

*Hypothetical argument on my part, as I couldn't really care less if someone busts out their keys up a goal with 15 minutes left in the third period. They make look idiotic, and it may come back to bite them in the ass, but they paid the same price for their ticket as I paid for mine, so it's not my place to tell them they're cheering wrong.
Totally agree. As long as you're not hurting the team or another person, for example fish during the game, cheer as you wish (yeah, yeah I know all ideas about profanity are going to be unleashed). Last year I decided to grow a playoff beard, this year maybe not; but guess what, I did it to have fun. Maybe I looked stupid, so what. I was having fun and I didn't hurt anyone.

Date: November 09, 2009 06:24PM

Jim Hyla
Jordan 04
Totally agree. As long as you're not hurting the team or another person, for example fish during the game, cheer as you wish (yeah, yeah I know all ideas about profanity are going to be unleashed). Last year I decided to grow a playoff beard, this year maybe not; but guess what, I did it to have fun. Maybe I looked stupid, so what. I was having fun and I didn't hurt anyone.
I consider it very much my place to tell someone that he is cheering "wrong". More specificlly, if he looks and sounds stupid I have every right to inform him of this fact. He may choose to ignore my criticisms, of course. But the only way to combat stupidity is to criticse it. (Well, the only legal option anyway. :-D )

Date: November 09, 2009 06:25PM

And... Ye shall not tempt the almighty Woofing Gods!

Posted by: RichH (167.225.107.---)
Date: November 09, 2009 06:41PM

Beeeej
jts15

I thought it was to shove it right back at the Harvard fans' (yes, there was more than 1) faces. From what someone told me, Section O did a "scoreboard" chant pretty much immediately after getting a 1-0 lead in the 1st period. It was more of a "no...THIS is when you do that chant" demonstration and a twisting of the knife.

Date: November 09, 2009 07:07PM

KeithK
Jim Hyla
Jordan 04
I consider it very much my place to tell someone that he is cheering "wrong". More specificlly, if he looks and sounds stupid I have every right to inform him of this fact. He may choose to ignore my criticisms, of course. But the only way to combat stupidity is to criticse it. (Well, the only legal option anyway. :-D )
So, consider it criticized. stupidblush

Posted by: French Rage (---.packetdesign.com)
Date: November 09, 2009 08:14PM

"Scoreboard" isn't woofing, it's merely pointing out when the other team is giving you crap that you're the one currently in the lead. Chanting "shutout" or dangling your keys is closer to woofing, and thus should only be done at the end when it's safe.

Date: November 09, 2009 08:18PM

Jim Hyla
KeithK
Jim Hyla
Jordan 04
Touche!

No, I don't do diacritics or whatever the heck you call them.

Posted by: imafrshmn (---.resnet.stonybrook.edu)
Date: November 09, 2009 08:19PM

French Rage
"Scoreboard" isn't woofing, it's merely pointing out when the other team is giving you crap that you're the one currently in the lead. Chanting "shutout" or dangling your keys is closer to woofing, and thus should only be done at the end when it's safe.

Why is it called woofing anyway?

Posted by: French Rage (---.packetdesign.com)
Date: November 09, 2009 08:46PM

imafrshmn
French Rage

It dates back to a sportswriter from the 20s named Fred J. Wooferson.

Date: November 09, 2009 08:57PM

KeithK
Jim Hyla
KeithK
Jim Hyla
Jordan 04
Touche!

No, I don't do diacritics or whatever the heck you call them.
But thanks, I've not ever found a place where I could safely use that emoticon.

Re: Harvard at Cornell postgame - The Crimson sucks too
Date: November 09, 2009 09:25PM

Here's something weaker than the Harvard offense in the third period -- The Harvard Crimson game story: "Harvard Loses in Rivalry Matchup."

Doesn't sound as if the writer even made the trip. One could not fathom The Daily Sun not making the trip to Cambridge if only because it's one way to get tickets.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2009 08:19AM by billhoward.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: November 09, 2009 09:51PM

imafrshmn
French Rage

[homepages.cae.wisc.edu]

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Re: Harvard at Cornell postgame - The Crimson sucks too
Posted by: cbuckser (---.dsl.scrm01.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 10, 2009 12:43AM

billhoward
Here's something weaker than the Harvard offense in the third period -- The Harvard Crimson game story: "Harvard Loses in Rivaly Matchup."
Harvard Crimson game story
“We didn’t play 60 minutes—we played 40,” captain Alex Biega said. “That’s the difference between us winning and losing. But I’d rather learn these lessons now than have it happen later on down the road.”
Apparently, pissing away a 4-1 lead at Colgate the night before didn't give Harvard enough of a lesson.

In all seriousness, Harvard's new up-tempo system makes it harder for Harvard to retain leads. In prior seasons, Harvard's trap would make it extraordinarily difficult for the opposition to move through the neutral zone. Overcoming a two-goal lead seemed like an insurmountable task. Not this year. When Harvard held a 3-1 lead, I thought the game was far from over. Some of that was the product of Cornell's much-improved transition game. But not all of it.

This is not to say that Ted Donato has made a mistake by changing systems. Harvard has the talent to succeed in its new system. I doubt that a more conservative Harvard team would have taken a 3-1 lead in the first place. And, I expect the Harvard players to become more adept at protecting leads over the course of the season.

Posted by: KenP (---.nws.noaa.gov)
Date: November 10, 2009 08:05AM

jtwcornell91
imafrshmn
French Rage

[homepages.cae.wisc.edu]
The link doesn't work.

Date: November 10, 2009 09:18AM

KenP
jtwcornell91
imafrshmn
French Rage

[homepages.cae.wisc.edu]
The link doesn't work.

The cached version works, though.

Date: November 10, 2009 10:10AM

RichH
Beeeej

I thought it was to shove it right back at the Harvard fans' (yes, there was more than 1) faces. From what someone told me, Section O did a "scoreboard" chant pretty much immediately after getting a 1-0 lead in the 1st period. It was more of a "no...THIS is when you do that chant" demonstration and a twisting of the knife.

Well, if that's the case, I'm somewhat more okay with it; I missed the context. But I don't understand why someone would think keys taunt the woofing gods and "Scoreboard" doesn't. And I can honestly count the number of times in my twenty-three years of following Cornell hockey that I've heard the Lynah Faithful chant "Scoreboard" on one hand. I'm not telling people how to cheer, but I certainly have a right not to care for it.

- Steve Worona

Posted by: BMac (96.53.163.---)
Date: November 10, 2009 09:16PM

There certainly is a way of preventing people from throwing fish onto the ice after the intros.

We did it two years ago- simply bring a humorous slide show, get your section's attention before the intros, specifically direct the crowd to throw fish at the right time, and presto. The crowd got into it, the band too, it was perfect.

Posted by: RichH (---.att-inc.com)
Date: November 10, 2009 11:57PM

BMac
There certainly is a way of preventing people from throwing fish onto the ice after the intros.

We did it two years ago- simply bring a humorous slide show, get your section's attention before the intros, specifically direct the crowd to throw fish at the right time, and presto. The crowd got into it, the band too, it was perfect.

Bravo.

Yeah, and at the risk of making this forum sound too self-important, I feel that we didn't do our job here. There was zero fish talk in the lead-up to the game here. I like to think that our tired old stories of penalties and the yearly rehashing of the fish tradition does something to educate the new fans that may casually check into this site. Of course, I'm probably wrong and it's the same 50 people here, but still.

Date: November 11, 2009 01:07AM

RichH
Yeah, and at the risk of making this forum sound too self-important, I feel that we didn't do our job here. There was zero fish talk in the lead-up to the game here. I like to think that our tired old stories of penalties and the yearly rehashing of the fish tradition does something to educate the new fans that may casually check into this site. Of course, I'm probably wrong and it's the same 50 people here, but still.

Yeah, the people who threw fish at the wrong times probably don't read eLynah. But I agree with you. I didn't think of it, but I'm sure Mitch and I, or someone else, would have been able to make a couple of announcements before the game about the fish tossing. Maybe some people will be able to do this next year. (I actually don't know of any underclassmen who post here...)

Posted by: mnagowski (---.bflony.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 11, 2009 09:25AM

(I actually don't know of any underclassmen who post here...)

But I suspect a lot of them still lurk. I didn't post until I was an alum three years out.

Posted by: statenaurora (---.syr.edu)
Date: November 11, 2009 09:59AM

I think you would have to use The Lynah Faithful group on Facebook to connect with undergraduates or the more casual fan. Perhaps a public service announcement posted to that group prior to the Harvard game on when to throw the fish would help create a more informed fan base and a more enjoyable game.

I would appreciate expanding and combining the information found on this into one document, working title, "Cornell Hockey for Dummies."

Posted by: TimV (---.amc.edu)
Date: November 11, 2009 10:20AM

statenaurora
I would appreciate expanding and combining the information found on this into one document, working title, "Cornell Hockey for Dummies."

Hell no. Cornell Hockey is for smart people. That would be "BU hockey for Dummies."**]

Date: November 11, 2009 01:28PM

TimV
statenaurora

Hell no. Cornell Hockey is for smart people. That would be "BU hockey for Dummies."**]
Lot of us who scoffed at applying to BU even as a safety school way back would not get in now. John Silber, widely regarded as an SOB and jerk by the faculty (accuse your faculty of being mediocre and see what happens) and anyone else he crossed sword with in his tenture 1971-95, did raise it far from mediocrity. It remains, as Silber himself was quoted as saying in his recruitment interview, "the ugliest damn placed I've ever seen."

I'd like to see a Lynah 101 here for fans who aren't as knowledgeable.

Posted by: mnagowski (---.bflony.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 11, 2009 05:02PM

TimV
statenaurora

You mean something like this?

[www.elynah.com]

Perhaps Age could just add a direct link over on the right?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2009 05:03PM by CowbellGuy.

Posted by: Robb (---.2-85.cust.bluewin.ch)
Date: November 12, 2009 02:26AM

mnagowski
TimV
statenaurora

You mean something like this?

[www.elynah.com]

Perhaps Age could just add a direct link over on the right?
Good idea - also, I think there should be a special section for "fish etiquette." Right now, there's just a brief mention within the pregame section. I'd volunteer to edit, but perhaps it should be done by someone who actually goes to the Harvard game occasionally. :(

Date: November 12, 2009 11:56AM

ECAC site has link to article from Boston Herald on Donato. It's not very enlightening but the only comment so far is: "Donato couldn't coach the Scituate Seahawks".

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login