Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Princeton Game - anyone going to New Jersey?

Posted by Scott 
Princeton Game - anyone going to New Jersey?
Posted by: Scott (---)
Date: February 03, 2003 12:07AM

I know it is a little early, but does anyone else have plans to go to the Feb. 28th game at Princeton?

Re: Princeton Game - anyone going to New Jersey?
Posted by: bigred apple (---)
Date: February 03, 2003 02:08AM

I'm probably going. Commuting to NJ in time to make the game might be a challenge, though.

Posted by: jy3 (---)
Date: February 03, 2003 07:58AM

nope, though it is a fun trip to make. short drive down route 1 from my parents. the trip down from ithaca to Princeton directly was fun the year i went.
it is a true barn

Posted by: Adam '01 (205.217.105.---)
Date: February 03, 2003 09:22AM

I'm 80% sure that I'll be there. Not a bad drive from D.C.

Posted by: Will (128.253.12.---)
Date: February 03, 2003 12:30PM

I'll be there if I can find two tickets (and it's off to the Ticket Exchange for me). Otherwise, I may have to end up sneaking into the rink with the Princeton band nut since the friend I'm visiting that weekend is in the band.

Posted by: judy (---)
Date: February 03, 2003 05:30PM

adam, interested in carpooling? I'm dragging another Cornellian, possibly 2 along...and then driving back that night...

Also, anyone else in DC metro that may want to go can email me and I"ll see if I can fit you in my car :-)

Posted by: Big Ben 03 (---)
Date: February 03, 2003 06:20PM

will the band be in attendance?

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---)
Date: February 03, 2003 06:40PM

Big Ben '03 wrote:

will the band be in attendance?

Scheduled to be, yes.

They'll/we'll be making the final two road weekends, in fact.

Posted by: Adam '01 (---)
Date: February 03, 2003 07:42PM

Yeah, Judy, we should set something up. I'll e-mail you.

FYI for all Cornellians in the DC area, they are broadcasting the Yale game that Saturday night (March 1st) at the Crystal City Sports Pub in Arlington. The more people we get to go, the more likely it is that we are going to get our own room (as opposed to just a few TV's in the joint).

You're supposed to e-mail Les Glick at trevy2@aol.com if you can make it that night to Crystal City.

Posted by: Scott Kominkiewicz '84 (---)
Date: February 03, 2003 11:14PM

FWIW, my wife, son and I will be there since it's such a short drive. Don't worry about tickets. They always have standing room and I've never had to stand throughout a game. There have even been times I was given free tickets in the parking lot by perfect strangers. Cool rink (check out the ceiling) and they'll let you bring in whatever kind of snacks you want.

Al, will you be going?

Posted by: Josh '99 (207.10.33.---)
Date: February 04, 2003 08:03AM

I'll be there, and my father, apparently a new Cornell hockey addict after his first visit to Lynah last Saturday night, will be joining me. Like Scott K., I'm planning to buy SR tickets at the door, I don't think it's ever been a problem at Princeton.

Posted by: curoadkill (---)
Date: February 04, 2003 09:46AM

The band will be at all the games from here on out.

Posted by: bigggreddd77 (162.66.50.---)
Date: February 04, 2003 09:59AM

SCORE...

I just scored a pair of tickets to the Princeton game via the Ticket Exchange forum!!! Thanks Age!!! :-D

I'm not sure where the seats are, but my roommate/fellow class of '99er and I will be there!

Woo hoo!

Posted by: KateThe15Fan (---)
Date: February 04, 2003 04:47PM

JDeafv and I will be there for the Yale/Princeton weekend. In fact, we'll be staying with SuperMom's favorite hockey player at Princeton twitch ! Don't worry, we're just friends with her son's roommate ;-)

Posted by: jason (209.176.0.---)
Date: February 05, 2003 02:38PM

I plan to be there with my wife (fellow Cornellian). Josh, same thing with my father; he's been a Cornell hockey fan for years now ever since he saw some games with me at Lynah.

Posted by: Adam '01 (---)
Date: February 05, 2003 05:11PM

Have any princeton.edu domain names crept up on e-lynah yet? B-]

Posted by: bigggreddd77 (---)
Date: February 24, 2003 04:58PM

It was time to bring this thread back up to the top...

So where are people sitting?

Sec. N2, Row A, Seats 1 & 2. for my friend and I...

Posted by: ugarte (63.94.240.---)
Date: February 24, 2003 05:04PM

Getting SRO tickets.

Date: February 24, 2003 05:42PM

same.

Posted by: Beeeej (---)
Date: February 24, 2003 06:35PM

SRO.

Beeeej

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---)
Date: February 24, 2003 07:50PM

Home:`(

Date: February 24, 2003 08:17PM

Hm... would it be presumptuous of me to bring some Snickers and Reeses Mini-Cups in your absence?

Beeeej

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---)
Date: February 25, 2003 12:49AM

Flying to Salt Lake. :-/

Posted by: Josh '99 (---)
Date: February 25, 2003 01:29AM

Count me among the SRO crowd, along with my Dad, who's apparently becoming a Cornell hockey fan. uhoh

Posted by: Tom Pasniewski 98 (---)
Date: February 25, 2003 07:22AM

SRO as well. Cornell will probably account for all SRO that night. If you've never been to Hobey Baker Rink, yes that Hobey Baker, it is truly a throwback to another era. It is truly the Fenway Park of college hockey, a place where the sport has been played for a long time but championship teams are never produced. Well except for my senior year but I'd rather forget we lost to Princeton in the first ever 4-5 game at Placid.

The seating capacity is small - more what you'd expect at a MAAC rink. The view from the balcony is interesting. Do take a wander up there. Also take the time to see the interesting display on Hobey Baker himself. It is safe to say that his days were well before you were born - anybody on this list that is. He was killed in World War I. As an interesting sidenote, both the mens and womens POTY awards are named for Princeton alums.

Posted by: jeh25 (---)
Date: February 25, 2003 08:39AM

Patty Wass-her-name was a princetonian? I didn't know that.

Posted by: Lowell '99 (---)
Date: February 25, 2003 11:26AM

Section N1, Row E, Seat 33.

Before the game was actually sold out but after rumors start flying on here that there were no seats left, I just popped on their website and actually got a ticket. :-)

Posted by: kingpin248 (---)
Date: February 25, 2003 11:31AM

To answer John, I found this in a USCHO article:

[Q]The award is named in honor of the late Patty Kazmaier, who was a four-year varsity letterwinner and All-Ivy League honoree for Princeton from 1981-82 through 1985-86. An accomplished athlete who excelled in ice hockey, field hockey and lacrosse, Patty Kazmaier-Sandt died on Feb. 15, 1990, at the age of 28 following a long struggle with a rare blood disease.[/Q]

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---)
Date: February 25, 2003 11:46AM

Matt Carberry wrote:

To answer John, I found this in a USCHO article:

[Q]The award is named in honor of the late Patty Kazmaier, who was a four-year varsity letterwinner and All-Ivy League honoree for Princeton from 1981-82 through 1985-86. An accomplished athlete who excelled in ice hockey, field hockey and lacrosse, Patty Kazmaier-Sandt died on Feb. 15, 1990, at the age of 28 following a long struggle with a rare blood disease.[/Q]
And, one would presume, the daughter of Dick Kazmaier, Princeton's Heisman Trophy winner from the 50s.

Date: February 25, 2003 11:50AM

Al DeFlorio wrote:

And, one would presume, the daughter of Dick Kazmaier, Princeton's Heisman Trophy winner from the 50s.
That is some good award-trivia recall, Al.

Date: February 25, 2003 07:28PM

When's everybody getting into town? Anyone interested in dinner before game?

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---)
Date: February 25, 2003 07:57PM

Beeej wrote[Q]Hm... would it be presumptuous of me to bring some Snickers and Reeses Mini-Cups in your absence?[/Q]Go for it, although I don't know about those Reeses.
:-))

Train from NYC to Princeton
Date: February 26, 2003 09:30AM

I was just wondering if anyone here has taken the trip like this? I think my friend and I are planning on taking the 5:01 train out of Penn Station which gets us to the Princeton Junction station at around 5:54...then we were going to get a taxi to the arena. Then doing the reverse to return to the city. Is the cab ride long/expensive? Anyone have any recommendations on this method of travel?

Re: Train from NYC to Princeton
Posted by: CowbellGuy (---)
Date: February 26, 2003 09:36AM

IIRC, the station is right near the rink, as in walking distance. Don't quote me on that though.

Posted by: curoadkill (---)
Date: February 26, 2003 09:43AM

You can certainly walk from the train to the rink.

Date: February 26, 2003 10:38AM

The "Princeton Junction" station is not walking distance to the rink. But there is a train (called "the Dinky";) that goes from PJ to Princeton. The Princeton stop is walking distance to the rink. The Dinky to Princeton is a five minute train ride, so maybe it is walking distance from PJ, but I think everyone takes the train. If the Dinky schedule doesn't work for the hockey game you may be better off getting a cab.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---)
Date: February 26, 2003 10:56AM

Chris Parkin '03 wrote:

You can certainly walk from the train to the rink.
As bra said, you can walk from the Princeton station--where the Dinky takes you--to the rink (it's less than 100 yards), but I don't think you want to walk from Princeton Junction to the rink.

Date: February 26, 2003 11:30AM

Just in case others are looking into the trip...

I just called a cab company and he said that the Princeton Junction station is about 4-5 miles away from the rink...but during rush hour, it could take 20-30 minutes to get to the rink at a cost of $12.00.

So it looks like the 6:14 Dinky will serve as my chariot for 4 minutes...

Mmmmmm...Chariot...Can someone bring us dinner???? :-D (mmmmm....corn nuggets)

Posted by: Josh '99 (---)
Date: February 26, 2003 06:25PM

judy '01 wrote:

When's everybody getting into town? Anyone interested in dinner before game?
I might be up for that. I'm taking a full day off on Friday (why, exactly? maybe I should just take the afternoon, but that's besides the point), so I should be there with plenty of time to spare.

Edit to add: Hahaha. "The Dinky". I laugh everytime I hear that. It's like "Operation Shutdown". :-D

Posted by: CrazyLarry (---)
Date: February 26, 2003 08:27PM

I will be there, though I'll save the face paint for later.

Dinner sounds good.

Date: February 26, 2003 10:11PM

I'm leaving work at 1...hoping to by pass DC, Baltimore, and Philly traffic (though I may actually have to get off the highway to pick up someone in there)...and am hoping to make it there...oh...4pm...(I think I'm dreaming)

I would like to eat before the game since I don't know what will be open and I'm headed home pretty much immediately after the game and me hungry = :-(

Date: February 27, 2003 02:41AM

At least if I'm the guy throwing the Snickers, I can be reasonably sure I won't get hit in the head with one of them. :-D

Beeeej

Posted by: Tom Pasniewski 98 (---)
Date: February 27, 2003 10:00AM

I'd be up for dinner so long as we have time to get our SRO tickets. I will probably be in the Princeton area by 4 p.m. Just call me on my cell.

Date: February 27, 2003 11:20AM

Easiest would probably be we all just decide on a place before noon (or whenever people leave) Friday.

Lots of people (myself included) are going for SRO tickets so getting out of dinner to be at the rink by...6(?)...wouldn't be much of a problem.

I'd would say look for me, but that's a little difficult since I generally don't wear red or anything with "Cornell" on it on game day...my own personal superstition. So does anyone else want to volunteer for the "Look for me!" job? Else, I guess another option would be everybody swapping cell numbers.

Date: February 27, 2003 01:03PM

So it seems I'll be sitting in the student section with my friend the Princeton student, along with Big Ben '03 and someone else he knows. I guess I'll get to piss off some Princeton students by being rowdy. :-D

Posted by: CowbellGuy (---.biotech.cornell.edu)
Date: February 27, 2003 01:49PM

laugh
That's a good one. Princeton students at hockey games. Nah, no danger of that. More likely some ancient alum that scowls at works like "suck"

Date: February 27, 2003 01:50PM

Well, I can guarantee at least one student (my friend) being there. Of course, she could end up being the only one, and maybe then we'll have the entire student section to ourselves. :-D

Posted by: PRR94 (---.dynamicsoft.com)
Date: February 27, 2003 02:05PM

Looks like I will be there with a few friends getting SRO tix. My first live game since last year's game @ Princeton. Can't wait!

Anyone drinking locally somewhere after the game?

Also, for those travelling, there are 1-3" of snow expected tonight with another 1-3" tomorrow.

Posted by: judy (---.raytheon.com)
Date: February 27, 2003 02:33PM

So in terms of driving conditions and the drivers in the area, does Princeton fall into the group that knows what to do when it snows or the group that panics when the weatherman starts talking about snow? help

Posted by: PRR94 (---.dynamicsoft.com)
Date: February 27, 2003 02:39PM

After living in Long Island, Ithaca, and NJ, I'd say Jersey drivers are above average. You still gotta watch out for those SUV drivers that *think* they can drive normally in the snow.

Pre-Princeton Game Dinner
Posted by: Josh '99 (---.stny.rr.com)
Date: February 27, 2003 06:19PM

Well, I know Judy and Larry and Tom, so maybe you could just all look for me? I'm hoping to be into the area by 4:30ish, and it seems most or all of us want to be back at the rink at 6 to buy SRO tickets, so maybe we should figure on dinner sometime between 4:30 and 5:00?

My cell: 607-738-2465

Re: Pre-Princeton Game Dinner
Posted by: judy (---.washdc3.elnk.dsl.genuity.)
Date: February 27, 2003 08:37PM

but....where?

I have heard suggestions of
JB Winberries
Rusty Scupper
(thank you Adam Wodon)

Anyways, I shall by fighting the stupid drivers here "down south" in the snow rolleyes

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.stny.rr.com)
Date: February 27, 2003 09:17PM

Not a clue. Outside of Thomas Sweet's, I can't name a single restaurant in Princeton.

Posted by: bigggreddd77 (---.painewebber.com)
Date: February 28, 2003 10:23AM

Does anyone know if there are and places to get food withing close walking distance of the arena/Dinky station? We're debating getting in on the 5:46 which could give us time to grab a quick bite somewhere close before the game, or just getting in on the 6:18 and relying on whatever food there is at the arena. Anyone have any idea?

Posted by: Beeeej (---.bc.yu.edu)
Date: February 28, 2003 10:41AM

There's always the Triumph Brewpub - in fact there may be a reception there pre-game for Cornell folks.

Anyway, could someone give me a call (XXX) when y'all pick a place to eat? I should be in town by 5ish, I think.

Beeeej
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2012 12:42PM by Beeeej.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: February 28, 2003 11:28AM

Seems to me there's a convenience store near the Dinky station and rink that might make sandwiches or the like. Else, I think the best bet is walking to Nassau Street.

Posted by: judy (---.raytheon.com)
Date: February 28, 2003 11:31AM

compiling list of #s. I leave soon :-D
Josh and Beeeej, will call you when I get there and start wandering or napping (couldn't sleep last night...)

Posted by: tml5 (---.soc.cornell.edu)
Date: February 28, 2003 01:25PM

I can never remember where the Rusty Scupper is, exactly, but I don't think it's that far from the rink. Probably not walkable, though I could be wrong about that. If it's walking distance, it's a good place to go - pretty good food and a fully stocked bar.

Good Time Charlie's is a great restaurant (or it was - haven't been in years) but it's probably a 10 minute drive from that area. For walking distance, Nassau Street is your best bet. The Annex is kinda crummy, even though it's a local legend, but there are some decent places to eat around there. I seem to remember Mediterra (if I got the name right) being above average. There's several restaurants/bar-like establishments in Nassau Square, which is just south of Washington (about a block past Witherspoon). There's a small newsstand/kiosk thing at the edge of Nassau Square. It's right across from Princeton's main campus.

If you're there early and want to get dinner for $5, go to Hoagie Haven. Head north on Nassau street (if you're coming from the main part of campus you'll make a right onto Nassau), keep walking, Hoagie Haven is on your left. Big, tasty sandwiches - but they're generally made of fat so dieters be warned.

Hope this helps.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login