Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

ELynah Forum Update

Posted by CowbellGuy 
Page: Previous1 2 
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: ELynah Forum Update
Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: November 14, 2011 05:17PM

Just tried in Chrome and it worked fine. Was your connection being slow to load or something? I could disable the button as soon as it's pressed.

Posted by: Chris '03 (38.104.240.---)
Date: November 14, 2011 06:00PM

All is fine otherwise. After playing with it a little more, I think the bug may be limited to the first post in a thread.

No more flames?
Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: November 30, 2011 04:51PM

I see the -1 button has gone away...

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2011 04:51PM by jtwcornell91.

Re: No more flames?
Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: November 30, 2011 05:39PM

jtwcornell91
I see the -1 button has gone away...
In this case can we have a Carnellian (red) "+1"?

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: December 01, 2011 07:43AM

No negative ratings? Does this constitute grade inflation?

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: December 01, 2011 10:27AM

I can't speak to Age's ultimate reasons for deactivating it, but I do know that it was being abused to target individual users.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: imafrshmn (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 02, 2011 05:22PM

Beeeej
I can't speak to Age's ultimate reasons for deactivating it, but I do know that it was being abused to target individual users.

This is such a lame reason if true. Facebook has a "Like" button but no "Dislike" because heaven forbid if people are "attacked" or get their feelings hurt online for posting something. Does ELynah really need to be this way? Do people really take their ratings personally or seriously? Golly. It's just an amusement. We might as well have automatic censoring of foul language.

Date: December 02, 2011 05:43PM

imafrshmn
Beeeej

This is such a lame reason if true. Facebook has a "Like" button but no "Dislike" because heaven forbid if people are "attacked" or get their feelings hurt online for posting something. Does ELynah really need to be this way? Do people really take their ratings personally or seriously? Golly. It's just an amusement. We might as well have automatic censoring of foul language.

I don't entirely disagree, but really... which is lamer: That a petty individual user might vent his disagreement with another individual user by scuttling the second user's rating with flames, or that we'd rather that not happen?

Nobody has to take their rating "seriously" for such a juvenile act to be obnoxious and unwarranted.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: kicksave (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 05, 2011 09:45AM

Beeeej
imafrshmn
Beeeej

I don't entirely disagree, but really... which is lamer: That a petty individual user might vent his disagreement with another individual user by scuttling the second user's rating with flames, or that we'd rather that not happen?

Nobody has to take their rating "seriously" for such a juvenile act to be obnoxious and unwarranted.

Each person got ONE vote either + or -. If your rating is so important to you then stop making obnoxious, condescending posts and multiple people will not "scuttle your ratings with flames". Simple as that.

Date: December 05, 2011 11:53AM

kicksave
Beeeej
imafrshmn
Beeeej

Each person got ONE vote either + or -. If your rating is so important to you then stop making obnoxious, condescending posts and multiple people will not "scuttle your ratings with flames". Simple as that.

Each person got one vote either + or - for every single post on the board made after the ratings were added. As a result, "multiple people" were not required to scuttle someone's ratings. Hard to imagine why you'd think otherwise.

Goodness, that might have been obnoxious and condescending.

- Steve Worona

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 05, 2011 08:55PM

Beeeej
kicksave
Beeeej
imafrshmn
Beeeej

Each person got one vote either + or - for every single post on the board made after the ratings were added. As a result, "multiple people" were not required to scuttle someone's ratings. Hard to imagine why you'd think otherwise.

Goodness, that might have been obnoxious and condescending.
So, the ability of one person to scuttle another's rating was proportional to the number of the potential scuttlee's postings. Some might deem that appropriate, but I can't figure out which emoticon to insert here.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.c3-0.smr-ubr2.sbo-smr.ma.static.cable.rcn.com)
Date: January 10, 2012 09:52AM

Ok, so where's the hidden thread? I have "1 new" message in the hockey forum, but it doesn't appear anywhere.

Date: January 10, 2012 09:57AM

Kyle Rose
Ok, so where's the hidden thread? I have "1 new" message in the hockey forum, but it doesn't appear anywhere.

That's a minor bug we've seen before, I think Age said it's related to the database cache. When I've encountered it, I've had two outcomes:

1) I check the message list, I've read everything already, and so I click "Mark Forum Read" on that particular forum, and the problem is solved.

2) I check the message list, and the "last post" on the top thread is recent and I haven't read it yet (it just doesn't happen to have a little red "1" next to it), so then I read it, and the problem is solved.

- Steve Worona

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 10, 2012 10:08PM

Beeeej
Kyle Rose

That's a minor bug we've seen before, I think Age said it's related to the database cache. When I've encountered it, I've had two outcomes:

1) I check the message list, I've read everything already, and so I click "Mark Forum Read" on that particular forum, and the problem is solved.

2) I check the message list, and the "last post" on the top thread is recent and I haven't read it yet (it just doesn't happen to have a little red "1" next to it), so then I read it, and the problem is solved.
The bug hit me yesterday, too, I chose option 1.

Posted by: nyc94 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: January 24, 2012 05:39PM

The Ivy League has made changes to their site and the URL on the right side of the page is now wrong. It is now ivyleaguesports.com/sports/mice/index

Date: January 27, 2012 09:56AM

nyc94
The Ivy League has made changes to their site and the URL on the right side of the page is now wrong. It is now ivyleaguesports.com/sports/mice/index

Thanks. Fixed.

Embedded Tweets!
Date: April 03, 2012 12:23PM

New Feature!

Tweets will now be embedded directly into your posts. You just need to paste the link to an individual tweet, et voilĂ :

If you're not sure how to got to an individual tweet link, click the "Open" link on a tweet, then click "Details"

Date: April 03, 2012 01:06PM

Also, I'm sorry but I had to ditch the +1 thing. It was buggy and apparently really inefficient with database calls. It was very noticeably slowing down page loads and putting unnecessary burden on the server.

Posted by: ugarte (66.9.23.---)
Date: April 03, 2012 01:27PM

CowbellGuy
Also, I'm sorry but I had to ditch the +1 thing. It was buggy and apparently really inefficient with database calls. It was very noticeably slowing down page loads and putting unnecessary burden on the server.
SUCK IT, TROTSKY!

Date: April 03, 2012 01:34PM

ugarte
SUCK IT, TROTSKY!

+1

- Steve Worona

Date: April 03, 2012 01:38PM

And just to be clear, I have nothing against the rating concept. It was just a terrible mod that I had to modify extensively just to make it work at all, and it barely did at that. If someone writes a better one, I'll be happy to implement it. I did write the Twitter mod from scratch, but I was more motivated to make that happen because I find it a lot more useful. Writing a new ratings mod is not high on my list. ;)

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: April 03, 2012 01:52PM

ugarte
CowbellGuy
SUCK IT, TROTSKY!
That's what Stalin said.

Posted by: Aaron M. Griffin (---.mobility-up.psu.edu)
Date: April 03, 2012 02:06PM

Trotsky
ugarte
CowbellGuy
SUCK IT, TROTSKY!
That's what Stalin said.

+1

2009-10 Cornell-Harvard:
11/07/2009 Ithaca 6-3
02/19/2010 Cambridge 3-0
03/12/2010 Ithaca 5-1
03/13/2010 Ithaca 3-0

Posted by: RichH (---.northropgrumman.com)
Date: April 03, 2012 02:07PM

ugarte
CowbellGuy
SUCK IT, TROTSKY!

The leaderboard is gone, so I'm claiming victory, based on the 60 +1s I clearly got overnight on my "curling sweatshirt" post.

Re: Embedded Tweets!
Posted by: RichH (---.northropgrumman.com)
Date: April 03, 2012 02:36PM

CowbellGuy
New Feature!

Tweets will now be embedded directly into your posts. You just need to paste the link to an individual tweet, et voilĂ :

If you're not sure how to got to an individual tweet link, click the "Open" link on a tweet, then click "Details"

Bug report (maybe?): I just saw a big error message across the top of the forum (which didn't disrupt anything on the page) that read:

"Unexpected situation on installing the Embed Tweet module: running the install queries from file ./mods/event_logging/db/mysql/1.php failed. The error was You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '( log_id INT UNSIGNED PRIMARY KEY auto_increment, source ' at line 1"

I reloaded once with the same error, but entering a sub-forum made it go away.

Re: Embedded Tweets!
Date: April 03, 2012 02:40PM

Yeah, yeah. Perils of messing with a production server. Was switching to an updated version of the mod. All is well now.

Posted by: marty (---.sub-166-248-6.myvzw.com)
Date: April 03, 2012 03:32PM

CowbellGuy

+ 2

Posted by: jtn27 (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: April 03, 2012 06:11PM

RichH
ugarte
CowbellGuy
SUCK IT, TROTSKY!

The leaderboard is gone, so I'm claiming victory, based on the 60 +1s I clearly got overnight on my "curling sweatshirt" post.

Are there even 60 people that read this site on a daily basis? And if we're claiming victory based on a system other than most total points, I'd like to point out that I was the only person on the leader board to have been a member of this forum for less than 6 months (and one of just a handful to be a member for less than 5 years). If we assume that I would have continued earning points at the same rate and extrapolate to see how many points I would have earned had I joined in 2005 like many of you did, I think I would be the clear winner.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: April 03, 2012 06:58PM

jtn27
RichH
ugarte
CowbellGuy
SUCK IT, TROTSKY!

Are there even 60 people that read this site on a daily basis? And if we're claiming victory based on a system other than most total points, I'd like to point out that I was the only person on the leader board to have been a member of this forum for less than 6 months (and one of just a handful to be a member for less than 5 years). If we assume that I would have continued earning points at the same rate and extrapolate to see how many points I would have earned had I joined in 2005 like many of you did, I think I would be the clear winner.

There's just one small problem with you calculation: the +1 button was only around for 5 months. :-P

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: April 03, 2012 07:25PM

During the season I am pretty sure there are at least 60 readers. Now that it's just a bunch of us arguing off-topic things maybe not :-).

Posted by: jtn27 (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: April 03, 2012 07:52PM

jtwcornell91
jtn27
RichH
ugarte
CowbellGuy
SUCK IT, TROTSKY!

There's just one small problem with you calculation: the +1 button was only around for 5 months. :-P

I'm going to pretend you didn't say that and claim victory anyway.

Posted by: Roy 82 (128.18.14.---)
Date: April 03, 2012 08:26PM

jtn27
RichH
ugarte
CowbellGuy
SUCK IT, TROTSKY!

The winner is the person who has donated the most money using the tiny Paypal button on the right.

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: August 27, 2012 09:48AM

I had an issue yesterday (8/26/12) morning using Windows XP and Chrome. Although the issue seems to be resolved now, and had an easy work-around, I thought I'd mention it, as this thread seems to be set up for just this kind of thing.

For some reason I was unable to correctly log in. I would log in with my username and password, which were recognized, but the forums would appear as if I was not logged in, and would not show me any unread counts. I then tried Firefox, and it worked fine. Just to check I tried Chrome again, and the problem was not resolved. This morning I tried Chrome first, and everything was back to normal.

Just thought I'd mention this in case it helps Age or anyone else.

Date: August 27, 2012 10:14AM

andyw2100
I had an issue yesterday (8/26/12) morning using Windows XP and Chrome. Although the issue seems to be resolved now, and had an easy work-around, I thought I'd mention it, as this thread seems to be set up for just this kind of thing.

For some reason I was unable to correctly log in. I would log in with my username and password, which were recognized, but the forums would appear as if I was not logged in, and would not show me any unread counts. I then tried Firefox, and it worked fine. Just to check I tried Chrome again, and the problem was not resolved. This morning I tried Chrome first, and everything was back to normal.

Just thought I'd mention this in case it helps Age or anyone else.

That's kind of an odd one. Sounds like it's hanging on to a cache or not reading its cookies. Let me know if you see that behavior again.

Date: December 05, 2012 12:51PM

The mobile template is back! A new mobile template will be displayed for mobile clients (which are automatically-identified). Let me know if you find any problems.

Date: December 05, 2012 01:15PM

CowbellGuy
The mobile template is back! A new mobile template will be displayed for mobile clients (which are automatically-identified). Let me know if you find any problems.

1. Looks like "Last Post" is being given the thread creation date.

2. I tried to post this from my phone and it says "The data you have submitted to the server have been rejected, because it looks like they were posted by an automated bot."

Date: December 05, 2012 01:28PM

Both have been fixed. Thanks!

Date: December 05, 2012 05:34PM

Is there a way to jump right to the most recent posts in a thread?

Posted by: marty (---.sub-70-192-14.myvzw.com)
Date: December 07, 2012 07:26AM

Any chance that we could opt out of the mobile template in our eLynah user preferences instead of on our mobile browser settings? I can't choose to ask for the desktop version of eLynah on my favorite Android browsers.

The browsers that offer the desktop request function don't deal with eLynah forum in a way that is easy to read.

Posted by: MattS (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: December 07, 2012 08:05AM

nyc94

This would be a great addition.

Date: December 07, 2012 10:35AM

MattS
nyc94

This would be a great addition.

And that is the main reason I want to use the desktop version. It took me a while to get to this page. I am using the mobile version.

Date: December 07, 2012 11:34AM

marty
Any chance that we could opt out of the mobile template in our eLynah user preferences instead of on our mobile browser settings? I can't choose to ask for the desktop version of eLynah on my favorite Android browsers.

The browsers that offer the desktop request function don't deal with eLynah forum in a way that is easy to read.

So you want me to design a whole new car because this one's missing seat belts?

I've added the seat belts.

Clicking thread links with new posts will take you directly to the new post. Also unread posts will have a light yellow background.

I'd rather address any potential shortcomings of the mobile template than try to reengineer the mobile client identifying plugin.

Date: December 07, 2012 12:47PM

CowbellGuy
marty

So you want me to design a whole new car because this one's missing seat belts?

I've added the seat belts.

Clicking thread links with new posts will take you directly to the new post. Also unread posts will have a light yellow background.

I'd rather address any potential shortcomings of the mobile template than try to reengineer the mobile client identifying plugin.

Thanks for the fix. Got here with one touch. In the next version please add a flux capacitor to complement the seat belt.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 22, 2012 09:09PM

Do you update the "next game" sidebar manually? If so, I'm actually not looking to inconvenience you and don't care if you actually update it. You have a life to live. On the other hand, if it is supposed to update automatically, it isn't updating and it doesn't look like anyone else has mentioned it here.

That said, you still have a life, so fix it at your leisure if there is something to be fixed.

j/k I insist that you fix this on Christmas when you should be with family.

Date: December 23, 2012 09:37AM

ugarte
Do you update the "next game" sidebar manually? If so, I'm actually not looking to inconvenience you and don't care if you actually update it. You have a life to live. On the other hand, if it is supposed to update automatically, it isn't updating and it doesn't look like anyone else has mentioned it here.

That said, you still have a life, so fix it at your leisure if there is something to be fixed.

j/k I insist that you fix this on Christmas when you should be with family.

Actually that's all generated from the ELynah Database which is way behind, which is why they haven't been updated. It's been kind of nuts lately. Apologies. Although I should be with family on Christmas, I'll be in Ithaca this year so I should have plenty of time to catch up. ;)

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 09, 2013 06:12PM

CowbellGuy - in threaded view, hovering over a message title used to show a preview of the corresponding message. This doesn't seem to still be the case. Is this a feature change or an issue with my browser?

Page: Previous1 2 
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login