Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell 2 US Under 18 National Development Team 3

Posted by Trotsky 
Cornell 2 US Under 18 National Development Team 3
Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: October 24, 2009 06:41PM

Will this be the first game in 40 years without a "sieve" cheer? nut

I have bad signal tonight, so I'll be in and out.
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2009 12:07AM by Trotsky.

Re: Cornell 0 US U18 NDT 0
Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: October 24, 2009 06:46PM

Trotsky
Will this be the first game in 40 years without a "sieve" cheer? nut

Hopefully not. I say go after him!
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2009 06:46PM by Jordan 04.

Re: (somebody else do the game thread)
Posted by: Lauren '06 (128.189.83.---)
Date: October 24, 2009 07:41PM

Checked on the Leafs/Canucks game during the intermission in time to see Lee Stempniak whiff on a clear shot.

Posted by: brealy_myers (---.mycingular.net)
Date: October 24, 2009 08:48PM

Oh my no they are showing the kid no mercy. "hey Andy Iles, Joe Wilson, former principal of Ithaca High called, and he said..."

CU 2 USA 3 with 11 left in the third - CU on the pk.

Posted by: brealy_myers (---.mycingular.net)
Date: October 24, 2009 09:05PM

1:47 left, still 3-2 USA, cu now on pp.

Re: 3-2 USA (Final)
Posted by: Oat (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: October 24, 2009 09:07PM

Wow..

Posted by: PAthologicalLynah (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: October 24, 2009 09:09PM

The good news is we get that goaltender next year. The bad news is we still have to deal with Scrivens for another year.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: October 24, 2009 09:10PM

3-2 USA final. Not a terrible performance for this early in the season. Iles looked real solid in net for the USNDTP, which gives us a lot to look forward to in the coming years.

Posted by: imafrshmn (---.resnet.stonybrook.edu)
Date: October 24, 2009 09:14PM

A well coached team of blue chippers with a lot of games under their belt comes in and gets by a Cornell team that has some systems that still need lots of tuning. Not really a shocker, as far as I'm concerned.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2009 09:14PM by imafrshmn.

Posted by: Oat (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: October 24, 2009 09:16PM

PAthologicalLynah
The good news is we get that goaltender next year. The bad news is we still have to deal with Scrivens for another year.

We don't "have to" deal with Scrivens. We have Garman!!

Posted by: ithacat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 24, 2009 10:05PM

Scrivens looked like he was playing his first game of the year. Made some spectacular saves and gave up some iffy goals. Iles was outstanding and caught a couple of breaks -- a crossbar and a post. He beat Gallagher on a breakaway and stopped a nice 2-on-1. He also had a couple of beautiful outlet passes to start their transition.

If Cornell is serious about changing its tempo they need to get some speed now. Those high schoolers were blowing by Cornell at times and they only played 3 lines.

After watching Niagara against Michigan earlier this week I don't feel too comfy right now.

I did the doubleheader with the women's game and sat through two losses. All I can say is Arsenal better beat West Ham tomorrow or I will have had one sucky weekend. :)

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 24, 2009 11:00PM

Well, I think CU looks a lot better at this stage, than they have in years. I'm really impressed at how well the guys adjusted even when the lines were mixed up some. Also the frosh seem to have moved in quite easily. They definitely have an easier time on the breakout. Still try up the boards too often, but otherwise OK. PP has a lot of good movement, and they are trying to mix it up, not just blast from the point. If they can improve at this rate from last year, it should be a pleasant year.

Posted by: tretiak (---.resnet.ucsb.edu)
Date: October 25, 2009 12:05AM

Yeah fuck Scrivens! It's not like he ever played well in a game like that one time he stopped 43 shots in Princeton last year. Oh wait...

Posted by: MB (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: October 25, 2009 02:12AM

Scrivens looks a little uneasy, but did come up huge when he needed to. We had some nasty defensive breakdowns and they took advantage of them. When you allow what is essentially a 3-on-1 rush, you're asking for trouble.

I like what we've done in the offensive zone, and we had some decent shots, but we really need to find the back of that net. We have a good team this year, and I'm really excited to see what we can do.

Posted by: profudge (74.39.167.---)
Date: October 25, 2009 11:53AM

I felt that the goals were not very iffy; (from my leaking memory - take with small grain of doubt) :
c.) a tic tac toe 3-1,
b.) an open guy on corner of net hit with a quick change of direction pass from behind the net
a.) and another gorgeous passing combo to open guy who hits the top corner.

I thought Ben looked OK. I thought we had some defensive miscues, more than 3 for sure, and a fast and together team took good advantage of a couple and worked hard.
We looked good for good chunks of time and then we looked a bit out of synch at times. Andy I. played a good game for USA U18's in net.

It's early and I am confident we will improve! A lot more bright spots for this early, than problems.

Posted by: profudge (74.39.167.---)
Date: October 25, 2009 01:02PM

FYI - some background, UNTDP U18 team is 5-6 now having beaten:
Cornell,
Bowling Green,
Souix City (Jr A),
Waterloo,
and Utica College (DIII)

and lost to:
Souix City (twice),
Des Moines (Jr A),
Michigan,
BU,
and BC

Date: October 25, 2009 01:34PM

profudge
I felt that the goals were not very iffy; (from my leaking memory - take with small grain of doubt) :
c.) a tic tac toe 3-1,
b.) an open guy on corner of net hit with a quick change of direction pass from behind the net
a.) and another gorgeous passing combo to open guy who hits the top corner.

I thought Ben looked OK. I thought we had some defensive miscues, more than 3 for sure, and a fast and together team took good advantage of a couple and worked hard.
We looked good for good chunks of time and then we looked a bit out of synch at times. Andy I. played a good game for USA U18's in net.

It's early and I am confident we will improve! A lot more bright spots for this early, than problems.

I don't remember the first goal like that at all. But heck, it was only 20 seconds into the period. I think Scrivens is one of the best goalies in the country and I expect (probably) too much from him on a nightly basis, so maybe iffy was a bit unfair. No matter how talented and well coached the NTDP is they're still in high school. Cornell becomes the first ranked team to lose to them this year. That's a tad disappointing, exhibition or not.

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: October 25, 2009 02:00PM

ithacat
No matter how talented and well coached the NTDP is they're still in high school. Cornell becomes the first ranked team to lose to them this year. That's a tad disappointing, exhibition or not.

Eh. I'm not concerned. Last year, we tied the U-18 team 3-3, outshooting them 32-16. I remember people asking skeptically "we can't beat the U-18 team??" This year, a loss 3-2, outshooting them 41-27. Sounds like a similar game, and last year's team turned out OK. I'm guessing that the average ECAC opponent will possess a more physical game than the U-18 team.

What does concern me is this:

This has been a bugaboo for Cornell for the last 2 years or so, defensively. If they can't learn to take out the open guy parked/sneaking near the far post, that play will continue to plague this team no matter who they have in goal.

Re: Cornell 2 US Under 18 National Development Team 3
Posted by: Weder (---.131.54.159.gannett.com)
Date: October 25, 2009 07:33PM

profudge
Cornell,
Bowling Green,
Souix City (Jr A),
Waterloo,
and Utica College (DIII)

and lost to:
Souix City (twice),
Des Moines (Jr A),
Michigan,
BU,
and BC

USNTDP 4, Colgate 1

Also: Windsor 5, Princeton 3
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2009 07:36PM by Weder.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: October 25, 2009 07:44PM

Weder
profudge
Cornell,
Bowling Green,
Souix City (Jr A),
Waterloo,
and Utica College (DIII)

and lost to:
Souix City (twice),
Des Moines (Jr A),
Michigan,
BU,
and BC

USNTDP 4, Colgate 1

Also: Windsor 5, Princeton 3
wow

Posted by: margolism (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: October 25, 2009 08:51PM

They may only be "in high school", but they gave the defending Division I hockey national champs, BU, a scare, losing by only a goal. As a team, they are superior to many division I schools. If they could be included in the Division I national polls (which they can't for obvious reasons) I wonder where they would be.

Date: October 25, 2009 10:31PM

margolism
They may only be "in high school", but they gave the defending Division I hockey national champs, BU, a scare, losing by only a goal. As a team, they are superior to many division I schools. If they could be included in the Division I national polls (which they can't for obvious reasons) I wonder where they would be.

I doubt they'd be ranked. They're 3-3 this year against D1; last year they were 7-11-1. A good year is playing .500 against D1. They may have given BU a scare, but BU still won the game. Team USA has yet to win a game in the USHL. Admittedly, all but one of those games have been played by the Under-17 team due to the 18s playing college teams. In those games Team USA has been out-scored 46-16.

It's only an exhibition game. What's learned is what is most important. It is, however, the first time the program has ever beaten Cornell (not that there's anything wrong with that). Of course, it was due in large part to a future Cornellian. B-] If anyone was going to beat Cornell I'm glad it was Andy Iles. I also would love it if Cornell could get one or two of the kids from the program every year.

Posted by: ursusminor (---.nrl.navy.mil)
Date: October 27, 2009 11:24AM

This looks like as good a place it post this as anywhere. :-) Chris Heisenberg is reporting that Cornell has received a commitment from Cole Bardreau of the U-17 team, a forward from Fairport, NY. I would think it's for 2011, but CH doesn't say so. His page [www.pointstreak.com]
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2009 11:26AM by ursusminor.

Posted by: pfibiger (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: October 27, 2009 11:52AM

ursusminor
This looks like as good a place it post this as anywhere. :-) Chris Heisenberg is reporting that Cornell has received a commitment from Cole Bardreau of the U-17 team, a forward from Fairport, NY. I would think it's for 2011, but CH doesn't say so. His page [www.pointstreak.com]

Woo! that is a huge pickup. He was considering Cornell, UNH and BC. Another NYS player, BR Puckhead will be so pleased :)

Posted by: PAthologicalLynah (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: October 28, 2009 07:58PM

tretiak

Yeah fuck Scrivens! It's not like he ever played well in a game like that one time he stopped 43 shots in Princeton last year. Oh wait...

This one time, our goalie had a good game, so that makes him good. Oh wait...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login