Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Check it out - we finally know something! (warning: moderate geekery factor)

Posted by Robb 
Check it out - we finally know something! (warning: moderate geekery factor)
Posted by: Robb (---)
Date: February 02, 2003 10:03AM

Ta-da!

Harvard and Cornell have both accumulated 24 points, and the best Princeton or RPI could muster by winning their remaining games would be 22, so Princeton's and RPI's best possible finish is 3rd, with the corollary that Harvard and Cornell cannot finish 11th or 12th.

Additionally, the best that SLU could muster would be 24 points, currently tied with Cornell and Harvard. However, Cornell and Harvard still have to play each other, so SLU cannot finish above BOTH of them. Cornell would win a two-way tiebreaker with SLU, but a many-team jam at 24 points could work out differently. In any case, the best SLU could finish is second in a complicated tie-breaker, and they are therefore eliminated from first place.

Bottom line: the race for the regular season crown is down to 9 teams.

Re: Check it out - we finally know something! (warning: moderate geekery factor)
Posted by: kingpin248 (---)
Date: February 02, 2003 10:32AM

While the crown is a nice thing to have, here are the numbers of practical importance for the conference tournament: with at least three points this weekend, Cornell clinches a home-ice berth (finish of eighth or better). The magic number of points to be certain of a bye into the ECAC quarterfinals is 9.

Re: Check it out - we finally know something! (warning: moderate geekery factor)
Posted by: Greg Berge (---)
Date: February 02, 2003 10:34AM

Well, we already know we've clinched a playoff spot. Of course, so has Princeton...

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---)
Date: February 02, 2003 11:50AM

Yeah, I noticed this this morning when I checked out the magic number table. If there were still ten teams in the playoffs, we would have clinched this weekend.

But this is probably as good a time as any to plug the return of:

The ECAC Race in a Nutshell:
[slack.net]

The ECAC Playoff Possibilities Script:
[slack.net]

Bracketing peculiarities?
Date: February 02, 2003 12:05PM

This might not be news to some, but it was to me...

The schedule for the ECAC tournament is at [hockey.ecac.org]

It says that there is no reseeding after the first round. The pairings are given as 1 vs. 5/12; 2 vs. 6/11; 3 vs. 7/10; and 4 vs. 8/9.

This doesn't make any sense to me at all. I would think that in each round, you'd want the highest seed playing the lowest, 2nd highest v. second lowest, and so on. The only way that happens in the quarterfinals under these pairings is if all four lower seeds win (on their opponents' home ice). IIRC, in 3 points/best of 3 series during the tenure of the Final Five, the lower seed/visitor defeated the higher seed/home team only 4 of 25 times (twice in 98, once in 99, once in 01). Thus, what I would think should happen seems unlikely to occur. Of course it's quite possible that the ECAC has a different intended consequence, but if so, what that consequence is escapes me...

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---)
Date: February 02, 2003 12:28PM

That's gotta be a typo, it's just not how it's done. If there's no reseeding it's always

1 vs. 8/9
2 vs. 7/10
3 vs. 6/11
4 vs. 5/12

so that ideally the next round ends up 1-8, 2-7, 3-6, 4-5 .

Of course, if there's reseeding, everything's taken care of. I do believe I remember the press release saying there'd be reseeding after each round, I'll see if I can find it.

Edit: Here's USCHO bracket - sans reseeding - which at least looks better. [uscho.com]

Date: February 02, 2003 12:35PM

Exactly - the goal would be 1/8, 2/7 etc. My concern was the fact that under "Quarterfinals" on the page I linked to above, it states explicitly, "Teams will be re-seeded after quarterfinals round". The same wording does not appear under "First Round". If they had specifically mentioned reseeding under both rounds, or not mentioned it at all, I would have thought nothing of it.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---)
Date: February 02, 2003 01:14PM

Not reseeding would be monumentally stupid, especially after the first round--but this is the ECAC.

Posted by: bigred apple (---)
Date: February 02, 2003 01:17PM

This is just a question of taste, but I have always preferred having the bracket set in advance without reseeding as a way of rewarding Cinderella teams.

I am comfortable giving the #1 seed the hypothetical easiest route to the championship without, by rule, handing the actual easiest route to them.

Date: February 02, 2003 02:31PM

bigred apple wrote:

This is just a question of taste, but I have always preferred having the bracket set in advance without reseeding as a way of rewarding Cinderella teams.
It also makes it much easier to run an office pool. :-D

Posted by: redice (---)
Date: February 02, 2003 03:39PM

It's subtle, but it does look like they're re-seeding. The only teams that are mentioned in the semifinals are Seeds 1-4. They either re-seeded or (he says tongue-in-cheek) #5-#12 are not allowed to play in the semifinals. But, like Al said, "this is the ECAC."

Date: February 02, 2003 10:29PM

I'd rather re-seed to reinforce what value the RS has left, but the worst seed to advance to the QF is by definition the team with the win over the "best loser." A #12 QF survivor beat a Dartmouthish #5, whereas a #8 QF survivor only beat a Vermontish #9. The #12 might be actually be peaking and trouble even for a #1.

Posted by: jkahn (---)
Date: February 03, 2003 12:02AM

For the history buffs out there, the ECAC used to be bracketed (i.e. 1-8 winner played 4- 5 winner, 2-7 vs. 3-6) until 1971 + or - one year. Since seeds 1, 2 and 3 all won in '70 and '71, I'm not exactly sure in which of the three years ('70 to '72) they switched to the unbracketed format.

Posted by: Adam '01 (205.217.105.---)
Date: February 03, 2003 09:28AM

So....we can't finish 11th or 12th. And we're currently in 1st. And we're all eagerly tracking this. Yup, we're big big dorks. nut

Date: February 03, 2003 10:03AM

> Yup, we're big big dorks.

I don't think we needed hockey to tell us that...

Re: Bracketing peculiarities?
Date: February 03, 2003 10:13AM

The weird bracketing on that page was indeed a misprint; they've corrected it to say the teams will be re-seeded after the first round as well. (The description of the quarterfinal pairings is still a little weird, but we know what they mean...)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login