Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

MSG Pre-Game

Posted by jkahn 
MSG Pre-Game
Posted by: jkahn (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: October 08, 2009 09:30PM

Received this announcement that the classes of '70-'77 have organized a pre-game event for members of those classes:

Red Hot Hockey Pre-Game Event for the Cool Classes of 1970-1977
Saturday, November 28, 2009

The Cornell Big Red men’s hockey team will take on Boston University's Terriers on Saturday, November 28 at 8:00 p.m. at Madison Square Garden in New York City. The Terriers were National Champions last year and Cornell was one game away from the Frozen Four, so this promises to be a great test for both teams. Come join your classmates for an evening of food, fun, and Big Red Hockey!

Festivities begin before the big game:

Time: 5:30 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.

Heavy hors d’oeuvres and non-alcoholic drinks will be provided. Cash bar.

Even if you don’t plan to attend the game please join us for this opportunity to catch up with your classmates. Your classes have sponsored this event so there is no fee, but please be sure to register so that your classmates will know you will be there and you can see who’s coming too!

RSVP: [alumni.aad.cornell.edu]

Who’s Coming: [alumni.aad.cornell.edu]

GO BIG RED!!

Re: MSG Pre-Game
Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: October 08, 2009 10:09PM

I received that e-mail, too. Does this imply that there won't be an all-class event like the one two years ago? Does anybody know what other parties there might be?

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 08, 2009 10:10PM

David Harding
I received that e-mail, too. Does this imply that there won't be an all-class event like the one two years ago? Does anybody know what other parties there might be?

There was an e-mail I got for a general gathering, but I deleted it. It was from the alumni association so there may be info on their website or someone else probably has the e-mail and will post it here.

Posted by: jkahn (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: October 08, 2009 10:33PM

Here's the general gathering email:

Rinkside Rally

Expo Center, Madison Square Garden, New York City

Big Red Hockey is coming to the Big Apple! On Saturday, November 28, the rivalry returns as Cornell men’s hockey faces defending national champion, Boston University. Cornell University invites you to join fellow alumni, parents, students, and friends for a pre-game Rinkside Rally at Madison Square Garden. This standing reception will feature remarks from President David Skorton and Mike Schafer ’86, the Jay R. Bloom ’77 Head Coach of Hockey. The Big Red Pep Band will get you psyched up. There will be fun for the entire family.

Event details:
6:00 p.m.—Rinkside Rally
6:45 p.m.—Remarks by President David Skorton and Coach Mike Schafer ’86
8:00 p.m.—Puck drop

The cost is $30 for adults and $15 for children aged 10 and under. The menu will include hamburgers, veggie burgers, hot dogs, chicken tenders, pretzels, and non-alcoholic beverages. A cash bar will be available.

Advanced registration is required. Register online: www.alumni.cornell.edu/bigred

Please note: you must have a ticket to the game in order to attend the Rinkside Rally. To purchase game tickets, call 607-254-BEAR (2327) or visit www.ticketmaster.com. Enter promotional code HPBIGRED to ensure seats in the Cornell section.

Purchase your limited edition RED HOT HOCKEY gear today: www.wearyourcolors.com/cornell

Questions? Contact Jessica Raha ’99 at jessica.raha@cornell.edu or 212-986-7202.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2009 10:33PM by jkahn.

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: October 08, 2009 10:38PM

Jacob '06
David Harding

There was an e-mail I got for a general gathering, but I deleted it. It was from the alumni association so there may be info on their website or someone else probably has the e-mail and will post it here.
Good idea! Here's the alumni event calendar Several bands of classes '70-77, '78-'81, '82-'89. Cornell Club of Washington. ILRAA NYC. Also a Rinkside Rally at 6:00 with Skorton, Schafer, Pep band. That one sounds like the 2007 event. Food. $30.

Re: MSG Pre-Game - class parties
Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: October 09, 2009 12:46AM

Here’s some more information on the pre-game activities. I did some research for our class’ possible gathering and checked out sites other classes may use. Your options:

* Cornell will host a Cornell-wide rinkside rally, $30 (plus you need a ticket), around 6 p.m. This could sell out.

* Class groups will host events offsite but within a couple blocks of Madison Square Garden. The map below shows some sites that are being used or were (by our class) considered. Some or all class events will be free admission, soft drinks and hors d’oeuvres, you buy your own drinks. (Class treasuries underwrite this.) Classes doing events or multi-year events are getting e-mail notices this week or early next. (No paper mail, I suspect. If Cornell doens't have your e-mail address on file, update your profile at [wwww.alumni.cornell.edu])

* Do something on your own.

MADISON SQUARE GARDEN & CLASS GATHERINGS

MSG is between 31st and 33rd streets (the upper “32nd Street” is a typo and should be 33rd) between 7th Avenue and 8th Avenue. This map shows from about 34th Street down to 27th Street. Class sites include Stout, Heartland Brewer, and Mustang Harry. (Irish Times and and Brother Jimmy’s, pictured, were considered but are not being used officially.)

MUSTANG HARRY’S (CLASSES OF 1970-77)

Outside Mustang Harry’s. Walk 1-1/2 blocks north (to right) to MSG.

Bar downstairs at Mustang Harry's

Reception area upstairs for class event, Mustang Harry's.

Mustang Harry's, 352 Seventh Avenue (between 30th and 29th Streets), New York, 10001, 212-268-8930, www.mustangharrys.com [www.mustangharrys.com]
[Notes from a site visit] A short walk to the Garden, 2 blocks, up 7th Avenue. Reception will be upstairs. Upstairs allegedly holds 150 people, manager says. (That means about 20 people per class will fill it up.) I think for 150 it’s gonna be crowded, hot, and noisy, which is okay if you’re 25 and prowling, maybe less so for these classes that are getting to be old and doddering. Ask me how I know. But you can’t beat the price: free food, softdrinks, pay only for whatever booze you drink. You need to register in advance and if you're in one of these classes, you should have gotten an e-mail.

THE IRISH TIMES (UNOFFICIAL 1970-77 RESTAURANT FOR A QUIETER VENUE)

Irish Times

Main floor bar and restaurant at Irish Times. There's also an upstairs (railing upper right) that can be used for parties or possibly dining overfloor.

The Irish Times, 254 West 31st St, just east of 8th Avenue, NYC 10001, 212-216-9355, www.theirishtimesnyc.com
[This is going to be an informal place (not on Cornell’s official list) where some 1970s-1977s will be, certainly 1974, if Mustang Harry’s is too hot-noisy-crowded or if you want sit-down dining in a nice setting, reasonable (for NYC) prices. I’m using it because we’ve got a pre-game group of a dozen ranging from 17 to 80. I think it’s going to be a good spot to gather afterwards. My notes:]
Just opened in the past year, a large pub / bar / restaurant on the first floor with a loft / balcony overlooking the bar on the second floor front. It is in the building just to the left of Brother Jimmy’s (left as you look across 31st Street from the Garden). I think this could be the place to gather afterwards to celebrate the Big Red’s trouncing of BU. It also could be a place for dining before the game. An L-shaped upstairs loft holds 50-75, maybe it holds more. It overlooks the bar area. A bit of a low ceiling but not ultra-low.
Pros: The upstairs area adapts well to both standup mixing and sit-down dining. One building closer to the Garden than even Brother Jimmy’s. First floor bar and dining area is very well finished and looks upscale. If we took over the upstairs the place could still be open for regular customers downstairs. I’m guessing the Irish Times may be more malleable about group arrangements upstairs since they still have room for a goodly number of diners downstairs. Men’s and ladies’ rooms (don’t ask) are both very clean.
Con: Low ceiling (not ultra low) so it could get warm upstairs. Since it’s new, if we use it, check back frequently to make sure it doesn’t suffer first-year restaurant mortality. (Nothing I saw says it’s on the ropes.) No bar upstairs.

ALSO
[The other sites considered and I believed used for Cornell gatherings are Heartland Brewery and Stout. They’re also shown on the map at pagetop. My notes are brief since that’s not where our class is going:]

Heartland Brewery
[www.heartlandbrewery.com]
There are six in New York. I’m assuming Cornell is looking at the Empire State Building HLB, 5th Avenue at 34th (there’s also a Times Square HLB 43rd between 6th and Broadway, a block or two farther). Looks okay.

Stout
[www.stoutnyc.com]
133 W 33rd St, NYC, between 7th and 6th (a very good location)
I think the classes gathering here will have a good time. It’s noisy.

Brother Jimmy’s BBQ 416 8th Ave at 31st Street, NYC, 10001, 212-967-7603, [www.brotherjimmys.com]
[As best I know, no class is having an event there, but it’s pretty good and you’ll find lots of unaffiliated Cornellians gathering upstairs. Notes:] A medium size first floor bar (no dining), with an upstairs for dining that seats 80 comfortably (counted that many chairs) and can hold 100, they say, for a buffet. Pros: Proximity, atmosphere, right size. All you do is stumble out the door, walk across 31st Street, and the Garden is there. Nice view of MSG from all the windows. Being one floor up and on a corner building up gives you some feel of looking out on one part of New York City. You’ll feel more comfortable here in jeans and a Cornell sweatshirt than a skirt, sweater and pearls. You’ve probably been in a place like this in Key West or old Collegetown (think the Palms on its nicest day and then some), not the sanitized, doorman-service Collegetown we have today. Cons: To do a class event, you’ve got to take over the whole place, else share it with others.

Sorry there's so much on the really old classes of 1970-77, but that's the ones I know.

Cornell is probably going to do it all over again for the basketball games Dec. 20-21. For details, you'll probably want to Read His Blog.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 09, 2009 01:05AM

I intend to go to the ESB Heartland simply because it's a great brewpub with excellent beer.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: October 09, 2009 02:06PM

This is good info, Bill. Thanks for posting it. A couple of comments...

- When Bill says to walk right from Mustang Harry's to MSG, what he means is to the right from the perspective of the photographer who took the exterior shot. When you walk out of Mustang Harry's, make a left to get to MSG. (Not that there's much risk of confusion, since you can pretty much see the Garden marquee from the sidewalk there.

- Stout is a good bar, but my experience two years ago was that it was ridiculously massively crowded.

- I've been told (by people who like Brother Jimmy's, even) that the one by the Garden (a new location opened within the past year or two) kind of sucks, so buyer beware. But if you want to get together with friends and share a drink with straws out of a fish bowl, it's basically your only option in the area. The wings are decent too.

- And if you want to eat BBQ, don't go to Brother Jimmy's, it's really not very good. There's much better BBQ in the area, but I'm not going to tell you where because I don't want it to be too crowded in case I want to go there. :-}

- If you want an Irish bar but Stout and Irish Times both fill up, I'm pretty sure there's another one near 32nd and 8th.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: October 09, 2009 02:38PM

Just got this in the mail. 1990-1993 manages to miss a lot of people and leave, what, me and ugarte?

Red Hot Hockey Pre-Game Party for the Classes of 1990-1993

The Cornell Big Red men's hockey team will take on Boston
University's Terriers on Saturday, November 28 at 8:00 p.m. at
Madison Square Garden in New York City. The Terriers were National
Champions last year and Cornell was one game away from the Frozen
Four, so this promises to be a great test for both teams. Come join
your classmates for an evening of food, fun, and Big Red Hockey!

Location:    Slattery's Midtown Pub, 8 East 36th Street (between 5th
Ave and Madison)

Time:          5:30 p.m. - 7:30 p.m.

Cost:          $10 per person

Appetizers will be provided and there will be a cash bar with drink
specials. Even if you don't plan to attend the game, please join us
for this opportunity to catch up with your classmates.

Please register by clicking on the link below!

RSVP:
 [alumni.aad.cornell.edu]  

Who's Coming:
 [alumni.aad.cornell.edu]

GO BIG RED!!

If you have any questions, please contact Karen McCalley '92 at:
 kjm34@cornell.edu

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: ugarte (---.z75-46-65.customer.algx.net)
Date: October 09, 2009 06:27PM

jtwcornell91
Just got this in the mail. 1990-1993 manages to miss a lot of people and leave, what, me and ugarte?
And ugarte's pregame involves little more that reading a boring book to an infant and apologizing to his wife for all the books still to be read before bedtime.

Classes of 1990-93 Pre-Game Event
Posted by: Todd R (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 10, 2009 05:46PM

We sent out an email yesterday to all NYC-area alumni from the classes of 1990-93 with the details for our pre-game event. In case any of you missed it, see below.

Todd Rethemeier
Class of 1993

------------------------------------------------

Cornell Ice Hockey vs. BU: Purchase your tickets NOW!

The Cornell Big Red men’s ice hockey team will take on Boston University's Terriers on Saturday, November 28 at 8:00 p.m. at Madison Square Garden in New York City. The Terriers were National Champions last year and Cornell was one game away from the Frozen Four, so this promises to be a great test for both teams. Come join your classmates for an evening of Big Red hockey.

Red Hot Hockey Pre-Game Happy Hour for Classes of 1990, 1991, 1992, and 1993

Location: Slattery’s Midtown Pub, 8 East 36th Street (between 5th Ave and Madison)

Time: 5:30 p.m. - 7:30 p.m.

Cost: $10 per person

Appetizers will be provided and there will be a cash bar with drink specials. Even if you don’t plan to attend the game, please join us for this opportunity to catch up with your classmates.

Please register for the happy hour by clicking on the link below!

GO BIG RED!!

If you have any questions, please contact Karen McCalley '92 at: kjm34@cornell.edu

Re: Classes of 1990-93 Pre-Game Event
Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 10, 2009 06:01PM

Todd R
We sent out an email yesterday to all NYC-area alumni from the classes of 1990-93 with the details for our pre-game event. In case any of you missed it, see below.
Hard to miss, since it was just posted 2 posts before.doh

Re: Classes of 1990-93 Pre-Game Event
Date: October 11, 2009 09:30AM

Jim Hyla
Hard to miss, since it was just posted 2 posts before.doh
Not sure whether to say that was cruel ... or you beat others to it. <g> One of the payoffs from our choosing Cornell is how much the Cornell experience continues especially if you like sports. You don't see Harvard trying to fill MSG for hockey or send its lacrosse team to multiple final fours this decade and the Cornell puts on a free tailgate party before and after (for NCAA lax, not for the BU hockey). I think it's only going to get better as Cornell ponders dumping class dues and local club dues so there's no barrier to participation, or being charged a higher fee for non-members at an event. It seems as if all Cornell is matching up to the Cornell band alumni, who seem to have a tent at every football event I've ever been to.

Re: Classes of 1990-93 Pre-Game Event - NOW 1990-95
Date: November 07, 2009 06:47PM

The classes of 94 and 95 have decided to join us at the pre-game happy hour at Slattery’s Midtown Pub. All the details and registration information are above - hope to see lots of you there.

GO BIG RED!!!!

Posted by: judy (12.187.81.---)
Date: November 08, 2009 02:42AM

Josh '99

- And if you want to eat BBQ, don't go to Brother Jimmy's, it's really not very good. There's much better BBQ in the area, but I'm not going to tell you where because I don't want it to be too crowded in case I want to go there. :-}

Oh oh! Did we eat there like 2-3 weeks ago and is like, my favorite BBQ eating place????

Posted by: TimV (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: November 08, 2009 08:25AM

judy
Josh '99

Oh oh! Did we eat there like 2-3 weeks ago and is like, my favorite BBQ eating place????

Geez! Can't you even let me PM you???**]

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 13, 2009 08:50AM

From the world of minor disappointments becoming slightly less minor:

When I first, very belatedly, searched for tickets I was relieved to find a pair in the Cornell section (415, row C) but didn't buy them because I didn't know whether I'd end up going with more than one person. Three days later, there were no pairs of tickets left in the Cornell section. Oh well, Minor disappointment. I guess I'll just buy whatever is available. Bing! A pair is available in section 414, row D.

I got my tickets yesterday. On the face of the ticket, next to the section, it says "BU Fans". cuss

Posted by: statenaurora (---.syr.edu)
Date: November 13, 2009 08:58AM

I just checked yesterday for a single ticket in the CU sections, but no tickets were left. The BU sections still have seats availiable though. Has to be very close to a sell out.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (155.72.24.---)
Date: November 13, 2009 09:27AM

When I purchased tickets back in September, I intentionally chose the BU Section. The remaining Cornell seats were in the corner of the 400's, 6 or 7 rows back. For the same price, BU-designated tickets were available at center ice in the 300's. It seemed like a no-brainer. Based on the fan distribution 2 years ago, I'd imagine there will be plenty of Cornell fans sitting in BU sections.

Posted by: munchkin (---.c3-0.sbo-ubr1.sbo.ma.cable.rcn.com)
Date: November 14, 2009 12:40PM

I'm a BU grad student right now (yeah, I know, but Edu Public Policy is not a common program) and there has been little to no publicity on campus for the event. At hockey games, there's maybe one announcement on the video screen before the puck drops. As well, I know several alums who went to the '07 game are electing to stay in Boston this year, and these were the equivalent of Section B fans when they were undergrads. That being said, I bought my tickets before graduation last year and will be in a Cornell student section screaming Screw BU with all my heart.

Date: November 14, 2009 01:01PM

munchkin
I'm a BU grad student right now (yeah, I know, but Edu Public Policy is not a common program) and there has been little to no publicity on campus for the event. At hockey games, there's maybe one announcement on the video screen before the puck drops. As well, I know several alums who went to the '07 game are electing to stay in Boston this year,
Being 2-6 and HE 1-5 might have something to do with lack of interest.

Posted by: statenaurora (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 16, 2009 11:37PM

No tickets to be had through Ticketmaster for any section at any price.

Posted by: TimV (---.amc.edu)
Date: November 17, 2009 11:34AM

There were lots of scalpers last time, and a fair number of fans with extras. Show up anyway.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.itt.com)
Date: November 18, 2009 10:44AM

Is Stout a good place for a (multi-) family meal before the game? Or is it likely to be very crowded & very loud & more of a bar atmosphere?

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 18, 2009 10:52AM

DeltaOne81
Is Stout a good place for a (multi-) family meal before the game? Or is it likely to be very crowded & very loud & more of a bar atmosphere?

It was very crowded and very loud before the last one. Even in the more private area upstairs. I would probably look for someplace else.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.itt.com)
Date: November 18, 2009 12:24PM

Jacob '06
DeltaOne81

It was very crowded and very loud before the last one. Even in the more private area upstairs. I would probably look for someplace else.

Any suggestions? :)

Date: November 18, 2009 12:42PM

DeltaOne81
Jacob '06
DeltaOne81

Any suggestions? :)
You can't go wrong with Tad's Steaks.

I'm joking. Don't go to Tad's Steaks.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 18, 2009 07:55PM

Seems I have multiple suggestion as to what *not* to go to... so in midtown Manhattan, that's 2 down, 13,781 to go.

Date: November 19, 2009 08:43AM

The pre-game event for the Classes of 1990-95 has been moved and combined with all the other classes from the 90s. Details are below.

This event is free, with hors d’oeuvres and non-alcoholic drinks provided and a cash bar available.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Red Hot Hockey Pre-Game Party for
Classes of 1990-1999 at The Ginger Man

The Cornell Class of 1996 alumni and the Cornell Alumni Association are
sponsoring a free party for alumni classes 1990-1999.

Gather with others from your class and the classes of 1990 -1999 to celebrate!
Festivities begin before the big game.

11 East 36th Street (between Madison Avenue & Fifth Avenue)

Date: November 28, 2009

Time: 4:30 p.m. – 7:30 p.m.

Questions: Email David Caleca, dc11@cornell.edu

Hors d’oeuvres and non-alcoholic drinks will be provided. Cash bar.
Even if you don’t plan to attend the game please join us for this opportunity to catch up with your classmates.

Please be sure to register online by clicking the link below so that your classmates will know you will be there and you can see who’s coming too!

GO BIG RED!!

Date: November 19, 2009 01:28PM

Todd R
The pre-game event for the Classes of 1990-95 has been moved and combined with all the other classes from the 90s. Details are below.

This event is free, with hors d’oeuvres and non-alcoholic drinks provided and a cash bar available.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Red Hot Hockey Pre-Game Party for
Classes of 1990-1999 at The Ginger Man

The Cornell Class of 1996 alumni and the Cornell Alumni Association are
sponsoring a free party for alumni classes 1990-1999.

Gather with others from your class and the classes of 1990 -1999 to celebrate!
Festivities begin before the big game.

11 East 36th Street (between Madison Avenue & Fifth Avenue)

Date: November 28, 2009

Time: 4:30 p.m. – 7:30 p.m.

Questions: Email David Caleca, dc11@cornell.edu

Hors d’oeuvres and non-alcoholic drinks will be provided. Cash bar.
Even if you don’t plan to attend the game please join us for this opportunity to catch up with your classmates.

Please be sure to register online by clicking the link below so that your classmates will know you will be there and you can see who’s coming too!

GO BIG RED!!
For those who might be planning to go to this party, Ginger Man has a very good selection of beers, but (IMO) is not large enough to accommodate a crowd of the size an event spanning 10 years worth of graduating classes might potentially draw. It's significantly smaller than Stout, for example.

Posted by: nyc94 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: November 19, 2009 02:28PM

For anyone looking to avoid an organized Cornell event there is the Houndstooth Pub - 520 8th Avenue @ 37th Street.

[www.houndstoothpub.com]

I have not found a list of BU gatherings other than one at the Terrace inside MSG.

Posted by: toddlose (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: November 19, 2009 02:37PM

I plan on coming in by train earlier in the day and was wondering of a decent sports bar to catch some of the college fb games on. Any suggestions? Someplace to get a beer and burger without having to remortgage my house. Thanks for any info.

Any parking suggestions?
Posted by: cth95 (---.hsd1.vt.comcast.net)
Date: November 19, 2009 09:07PM

I am driving in from CT and then will be finding a hotel north up 87 somewhere to get a headstart towards VT for the next morning. Any parking suggestions?

Re: Any parking suggestions?
Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: November 20, 2009 03:28PM

Anybody bringing Snickers? I'm working.:`-(

Re: Any parking suggestions?
Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: November 20, 2009 05:14PM

Stay in Cold Spring at Pig Hill Inn. You can get there from I 84. It's a nice B&B and you can get Metro North into the city from either Cold Spring or Garrison, then it's a short drive to I 87 when you're ready to head to VT.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2009 05:17PM by TimV.

Re: MSG Pre-Game - Irish Times for family fare
Date: November 20, 2009 06:10PM

DeltaOne81
I scouted a half-dozen places for our class reception. For a) a quieter meal, b) close to the Garden in case you've got older parents or little kids with you, or c) you want lots of TVs to watch other games, I think the winner is the new Irish Times pub on 31st and 8th, just east of 8th Avenue, which puts you directly across from the back entrance to MSG and Penn Station (the train set downstairs). I had set up the upstairs loft area for Cornellians but got little response from our class (which had the option of free eats 2 blocks away) so I'm giving the loft back. I don't know if it's still available. The manager got stood up before by groups that no-showed so he needs a $300 guarantee and I need another half dozen people to meet that, if it's still available. Let me know, or PM me. (Sorry to start that old joke.) Our group is about a dozen ranging from teens to eighties (years, not class-of).

Stout is an aweosome place if you're less than ten years out and skilled at chatting up women in a crowded, warm, high-decibel environment. For me, that'd be four strikes and out.

See the photos above of a couple places I liked, including Irish Times. If you do call to reserve, mention you're with the Cornell group and when they say what-the-heck-group-is-that, tell them it's the group that was going to be in the loft. Maybe we'll get it by popular acclaim.

Not sure if I mentioned in a separate forum thread, but Cornell U plans nothing special for the Dec. 20-21 pair of basketball games at MSG.

Big Red Hockey: Fearless... and Intrepid
Posted by: Larry72 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 20, 2009 10:07PM

From the Cornell Hockey Association

Red Hot Hockey: Fearless...and "Intrepid!"
In celebration of Red Hot Hockey, the Intrepid Sea, Air and Space Museum has invited the Big Red Pep Band to perform aboard the USS Intrepid on Saturday, November 28. In support of the Big Red, a friend of Cornell has arranged free admission to the Intrepid Museum all day on November 28 for Cornellians, family, and friends who are attending the hockey game at Madison Square Garden that evening. Join the Big Red Pep Band on the flight deck from 4:15-4:45 p.m. and sing "Davy" and the Alma Mater into the Hudson skies! Make it a "Big Red in the Big Apple" day!

IMPORTANT NOTES:
* USS Intrepid is docked on the Hudson River at 45th-46th Streets
* Your hockey ticket is required for free admission
* Enter the WELCOME CENTER, north side. Go to the group sales desk and present your hockey ticket
* Museum Hours: 10 a.m.-5 p.m.; last entry is 4 p.m.
* General Museum Info: www.intrepidmuseum.org

Re: Big Red Hockey: Fearless... and Intrepid
Date: November 20, 2009 10:31PM

Larry72

In celebration of Red Hot Hockey, the Intrepid Sea, Air and Space Museum has invited the Big Red Pep Band to perform aboard the USS Intrepid on Saturday, November 28. In support of the Big Red, a friend of Cornell has arranged free admission to the Intrepid Museum all day on November 28 for Cornellians, family, and friends who are attending the hockey game at Madison Square Garden that evening. Join the Big Red Pep Band on the flight deck from 4:15-4:45 p.m. and sing "Davy" and the Alma Mater into the Hudson skies! Make it a "Big Red in the Big Apple" day!

IMPORTANT NOTES:
* Enter the WELCOME CENTER, north side. Go to the group sales desk and present your hockey ticket
Fantastic

Posted by: redice (---.sub-75-236-112.myvzw.com)
Date: November 20, 2009 11:33PM

Larry72

IMPORTANT NOTES:

As a former crewmember on the Intrepid, terrific news!!!!!!!!

-Ned Harkness

Posted by: Dpperk29 (---.townhouse.clarkson.edu)
Date: November 20, 2009 11:54PM

redice
Larry72

IMPORTANT NOTES:

For anyone who hasn't been to it, the Intrepid Museum is wonderful. I highly recommend it to anyone, even those who aren't necessarily military history nerds.

Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: November 21, 2009 12:10AM

Everybody should wear your red gear, make a big C on the flight deck and get a picture from a high angle. Very cool.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 22, 2009 07:28PM

Dpperk29
redice
Larry72

IMPORTANT NOTES:

For anyone who hasn't been to it, the Intrepid Museum is wonderful. I highly recommend it to anyone, even those who aren't necessarily military history nerds.
I concur; I haven't been back since the recent renovation but I've been hearing very good things.

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: November 23, 2009 04:35PM

Dpperk29
Agreed. Just watch your head. ;)

Posted by: Dpperk29 (---.townhouse.clarkson.edu)
Date: November 23, 2009 05:34PM

CowbellGuy
Dpperk29
Agreed. Just watch your head. ;)

Seconded... people must have been shorter in the 40's...

Re: MSG Pre-Game - Irish Times upstairs set aside
Date: November 25, 2009 12:31PM

Irish Times, a new pub just across from Madison Square Garden (see photos above on this thread), is going to set aside the upstairs for Cornell fans. Martin, the manager, initially thought we were the supporting act to BU when it came to fan turnout and now knows otherwise. This will be the quiet-restaurant home base for our class (so old Arabic numerals weren't yet in common use) plus a couple other groups (an ILR group, I heard). There are some tables still available upstairs when I talked today to the manager. I picked this place as alternative for our class to the official-, noisy-home-base setting for the Classes of 1970-77 gathering (Mustang Harry's) on account of it wasn't so noisy or crowded, and it looked as if it would be comfortable if your party included some older parents or younger kids. (And MH noise is still nothing like the decibel level at Stout.) Also there are a dozen flat panel TVs downstairs at the bar so you can catch up on other sports before or after the game. While they say "pub," it's really pretty nicely done and feels modern rather than old or dingy. The Irish Times fare is sandwiches, burgers, salads, wraps, and a half-dozen entrees. A burger is $9.95, which is about typical for NYC these days.

Irish Times, 212 216 9355, 254 West 31st Street, two doors east of 8th Avenue. (When you walk out the door, you'll be looking at the southwest corner of the MSG/ Penn Station complex.)

LGR.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2009 12:33PM by billhoward.

Home or away
Posted by: ebilmes (---.adsl.snet.net)
Date: November 25, 2009 05:17PM

Random question here...do we know which jerseys Cornell will wear? I know we wore red two years ago so maybe we're home this year? Anyone know for sure?

Re: Home or away
Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: November 25, 2009 08:24PM

ebilmes
Random question here...do we know which jerseys Cornell will wear? I know we wore red two years ago so maybe we're home this year? Anyone know for sure?
The USCHO thread has us as the home team.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (173.85.59.---)
Date: November 28, 2009 09:28AM

Safe travel, all. See you there. We'll be in section 94.

Posted by: RichH (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 28, 2009 10:41AM

Anyone know what the bag policy is for MSG? I suspect that we can bring in small bags or backpacks and the like, but some confirmation would be good.

Posted by: Jacob 03 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: November 28, 2009 10:45AM

RichH
Anyone know what the bag policy is for MSG? I suspect that we can bring in small bags or backpacks and the like, but some confirmation would be good.

Don't know if you saw this yet:

Bag Searches

Madison Square Garden asks all guests to arrive early and travel light. All persons and bags are subject to search. Bags that have passed inspection must fit comfortably under your seat. Oversized bags are prohibited. MSG does not provide an area to check bags, coats or any other personal belongings. We are not responsible for any property that is lost, stolen, or damaged.

Posted by: MattShaf (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 28, 2009 11:39AM

MSG let's you bring bags in. Typically, they do not like to let food into the building but if its snacks or you have kids with your they're generally ok with that kind of stuff.

Date: November 28, 2009 03:17PM

MattShaf
MSG let's you bring bags in. Typically, they do not like to let food into the building but if its snacks or you have kids with your they're generally ok with that kind of stuff.
Snickers? I'll be watching on Redcast.:`-(But I've got Snickers here.banana

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login